2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is actually pleasing to see the level of dismay with the current state of the game. It indicates that maybe we are closer to a resolution to the symptomatic problem of congestion that is degrading our game as a spectacle. Congestion is symptomatic because it can only exist if there are enough players aerobically and physically capable of tracking the ball around the ground.
We can say it just that players are fitter and stronger. We can say that this is just evolution and it will all be fixed in time. We can also look at the facts that say that this blight has only occurred since the coaches realised the impact of unlimited interchange and have been able to send players out with the express instruction to "press", "flood", "zone". Call it what you like. Its ugly and ruining the game as a spectacle and as an enjoyable sport for many participants that aren't blessed with the physical attributes to play the game this way. The Commission need to act quickly and forget the bleating of coaches with ulterior motives.
Wayne Bennett predicts Rugby league will no longer be played by the likes of Alfie Langer unless they act to limit interchange. The big boppers will keep coming off the bench and pounding the smaller, faster players into tackling burnout. In Our game its similar except its the continuing onslaught from the big bodied aerobic midfielder who can run for 4 minutes then refresh for 4 and repeat the cycle. The game is at a tipping point and in danger of losing its unique attributes to this cancer of interchange abuse.
I nominate this as post of the year. Fantastically put :thumbsu:

When do we get our fricken vent thread

tumblr_lyxp9yzYrD1qztjn5o1_r1_500.gif

You'll get your vent thread when you tell me your name.

Also not sure Adcock will be around half-back quite as strictly as well.

Pre-season indicates quite a different team.

Whatever his position I hope he shows more composure than in the NAB challenge. We'll sorely need it this year from our experienced players.

Adcock was for mine one of our best over the preseason. He played a different role and was winning more of his own ball higher up the ground than usual. He compliments Paps well and was the hard edge that we need from that part of the ground. Winning inside ball, tackling and using his leadership to direct our younger defenders. In the team for round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the team for round 1.

I'm not disputing his value to the team. I'm an Adcock fan and don't actually get most of the criticism leveled at him (most of the time). Part of the role change if you can call it that is utilising his aggression around the contest and tackling which is smart. But I still think his composure/decision-making with ball in hand can be dubious at times, especially for a more senior player.

Looking at Nimbs line up made me remember a question I had. Is there much point in having paps as the sub? It seems to me his coverage of the ground should be something we utilise all game rather than for a quarter and a bit. I actually don't see his effectiveness as a sub as much as someone like McGrath.

I would like to know how most teams characterise and define the sub role. If it changes each week or if its the next best available player or if its a specific type of player.

Other than Cutler, who is behind quite a few for that HB spot, not really much wrong with it IMO. Curious to see who he thinks gets that 5th forward spot though with some of the names already listed.
That's the obvious one, particularly considering the guy hasn't had much NAB time. I'm quite particular so I could pick the eyes out of his team but the glaring things for mine are:

not even a mention of Claye Beams - who looks to be a certain HBF.
Rich on a wing when he has played almost exclusively back.
No Bewick or Adcock on the wings - IMO these are well-recognised traits of our pre-season.
But my biggest hate is Paps as sub - I've said it before but Pap's biggest strength is his running capability. It's wasted as sub, may as well not play him at all. You either start him or he doesn't play - there's no middle ground for Paps IMO.

I would like to know how most teams characterise and define the sub role. If it changes each week or if its the next best available player or if its a specific type of player.

I see the Lions as playing the 'next best player' usually. Well from my perspective anyway.

Little article on milestones this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-01/your-clubs-2015-milestones

BRISBANE LIONSJed Adcock, 200 games After relinquishing the captaincy reins to Tom Rockliff in the pre-season, Adcock is approaching a major personal milestone. One of the Lions' most professional players – and now their most experienced - the former skipper needs just 15 more games to get to the magical 200.

Justin Clarke, 50 games
For someone taken from relative obscurity in the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft, Clarke has made a great fist of his early career. Still just 21, he has been a first choice key defender the past two years and will be so again in 2015. The South Australian has played 36 games to date.

Pearce Hanley, 100 games
The classy Irishman has been dealt a major setback with pre-season hip surgery putting him on the sidelines until mid-season. Hanley is arguably the Lions' most damaging player with his speed, evasion and kicking skills, and need just four more games to reach the century.

Matthew Leuenberger, 100 games
It's taken a long time, but if the planets align, the athletic ruckman will reach this milestone in round six. Since being taken with the No.4 pick in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, Leuenberger has mixed periods of domination with a frustrating string of injuries, including a knee problem that wiped out much of 2014.

Sam Mayes, 50 games
After an outstanding debut season in 2013, Mayes struggled for form last year. Justin Leppitsch shuffled him all over the park, but the young midfielder couldn't match the high standards of his first year. He has played 39 games in two seasons, but has a fight on his hands for a regular spot in 2015. - Michael Whiting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back