2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will depend where the academy players are ranked come end of year really. Is looking like they will be 20s and 30s picks though. If we can work it so we can get another top 10 pick it would be a great result.

And that isnt even taking into account any extra picks from players going out.

And that isnt even taking into account any extra picks from players going out.

Good point. Looks like Leuy Taylor will be leaving unless he drops his asking price to something more reasonable, Green also still yet to sign up. They could both be deemed expendable, get probably third round picks for them, which can then be used to ensure we have enough points for the academy kids

Couldn't agree more. Will probably mean we only get 2 of the academy boys but so be it.

We can take a debt if we run out of points, it comes off next year's pick of the same round (or later). May as well really.

Really the only reason Taylor would leave is if a Melbounre based club is matching that offer. I wonder which Melbourne club in their right mind would pay $500,000?

Good luck to Lewy.

Good point. Looks like Leuy Taylor will be leaving unless he drops his asking price to something more reasonable, Green also still yet to sign up. They could both be deemed expendable, get probably third round picks for them, which can then be used to ensure we have enough points for the academy kids
Apparently Essendon are offering $400,000 if he walks to PSD.

Green I think could be a star. Taylor not so much. However I think it's important for the age and experience of our list that we re-sign at least one of the two.

Have heard Mark Evans more than once,has absolutely no qualms with awarding Essendon pick 1 should it finish last.

Yet another example of the afl big boys ,having complete and utter contempt for the lions.Keep kicking the lions in the guts as usual.Would not expect anything else!!!!!

Last edited:
Yet another example of the afl big boys ,having complete and utter contempt for the lions.Keep kicking the lions in the guts as usual.Would not expect nothing else!!!!!
One particular interview with Evans he was asked by Caro I think how he thought the Lions were travelling in general and he said "Well I was actually at the Hawthorn game and they were very competitive for 3 quarters"
That was it.That was the answer.

Wouldn't this be an interesting concept. All draftees under the age of 20 are asked to write down 5-7 clubs which they would love to join. This information is handed to the AFL, who then pass it on to the clubs. Might also stop players from leaving after 1-2 years citing homesickness as an excuse.

Wouldn't this be an interesting concept. All draftees under the age of 20 are asked to write down 5-7 clubs which they would love to join. This information is handed to the AFL, who then pass it on to the clubs. Might also stop players from leaving after 1-2 years citing homesickness as an excuse.

I guess the problem is that most draftees would prioritize:
  • successful/stable clubs
  • clubs with good facilities
  • clubs close to family/friends
  • maybe, maybe the club they supported.
If your club is under-resourced, unsuccessful and in a non-traditional state (nudge), that probably doesn't help us much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see a lot of preference for the club they support and clubs at which someone from the same tac cup team is at maybe.

If anything it would show the afl how much of an undesierable location of a club we really are at the minute.
Feel as though they would have a good idea of this already though.

I would be eye balling those kids at the combine asking them straight out - do you want to play footy at our club? If the answer is anything but - absolutely leppa, effing get me in I want to make a difference then we get the next kid who does.

Makes me wonder how the likes of Aish and the GH5 interviewed.

If it was my kid I would be telling them say whatever might give them a chance of being drafted. Depends if the talent is top end and knows they have a career or somewhere after pick 30 where they might get picked up or might not.

If it was my kid I would be telling them say whatever might give them a chance of being drafted. Depends if the talent is top end and knows they have a career or somewhere after pick 30 where they might get picked up or might not.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The top 20 kids usually know their certain to be picked and tanking interviews etc. isn't out of the ordinary. Two recent examples are Grundy and Wingard who basically told GWS they'll be leaving after the initial draft contracts if they were picked by them.

Robert Shaw is someone i hold in the highest regard for what he did for Fitzroy. Super coach and wonderful person and highly intelligent. Currently teaching at Brighton Grammar and also coach of their football side. I was just listening to an SEN podcast where he was interviewed. Well worth listening to if you get the chance. Anyway he coaches Andrew McGrath. Couldn't speak of him more highly. The kid sounds like a natural leader. He was Vic Metro's best player and probably caught my eye with McCluggage more than any other player.

Would love for our club to draft McGrath but if we don't whoever does will have a wonderful leader and player for 10 years minimum.

Here we go...

THE AFL has made its next move in attempting to remove a complex loophole from the academy and father-son bidding system in the draft.

In last year's NAB AFL Draft, the first under the new system, clubs were able to trade backwards to boost their available points.

To do this clubs traded in draft picks that were never actually intended to be used to select a player, instead using them to simply bank points for academy and father-son selections.

One option under consideration is to scrap the ability to trade backwards for points or 'hidden picks', by making a traded draft pick equate to an actual vacancy on a club's playing list.

Also up for discussion is whether clubs should receive a discount when recruiting a player from their own academy.

AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon wrote to all 18 clubs on Friday seeking feedback on the system.

He's requested they respond by July 17.

Changes could be in place for in time for this year's exchange period and draft process.

Robert Shaw is someone i hold in the highest regard for what he did for Fitzroy. Super coach and wonderful person and highly intelligent. Currently teaching at Brighton Grammar and also coach of their football side. I was just listening to an SEN podcast where he was interviewed. Well worth listening to if you get the chance. Anyway he coaches Andrew McGrath. Couldn't speak of him more highly. The kid sounds like a natural leader. He was Vic Metro's best player and probably caught my eye with McCluggage more than any other player.

Would love for our club to draft McGrath but if we don't whoever does will have a wonderful leader and player for 10 years minimum.
Would love to draft someone like McGrath, but I'm always concerned about the Vic Metro kids - they appear to have a higher tendency to run home to Mummy. I think the club specifically stated this as well a year or two back...

Also up for discussion is whether clubs should receive a discount when recruiting a player from their own academy.

:eek:

Bloody AFL.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the Lions also stated a year or two (LAST time this was brought up) that if they didn't get a discount, there was no point investing so much time and money into it, and they'd have no option but to close the academy.

An idle threat, perhaps, still, good for them to put it out there. The academies are the AFL's best strategy to bring fans to the AFL.

Thought the same when I read it. Hopefully with the introduction of the other clubs academies that they won't be so quick to dismiss the discount at least. It's amazing how they can see it from only one aspect of a club trading back for points, what about the other team trading up for a better pick.

On another note, is there any other code/game in the world that has so much fluctuating change?

It's embarrassing we call ours a professional sport. The amount of changes at a whim for no good reason and changes due to political pressure from a certain few...and to have yearly laws of game review to see how yet again we change change things up every year...

Amateur hour. Or should that be amateur century.

So the AFL wants us to invest a stack of money in developing players for other clubs and we get nothing out of it essentially? They'll be in for a rude shock once they realise we can't actually afford to continue running an academy if that's the path they want to go down

It's embarrassing we call ours a professional sport. The amount of changes at a whim for no good reason and changes due to political pressure from a certain few...and to have yearly laws of game review to see how yet again we change change things up every year...

Amateur hour. Or should that be amateur century.

Ultimately in many ways, the clubs have the power either to elect the Commissioners or change the structure of the AFL. Ten Victorian based clubs voting as a bloc against four northern clubs are always going to have quite a bit of sway in determining AFL policy.

Extra clubs in the form of the Canberra Cannons, Sydney Sharks, Darwin Dingoes and Cairns Crocodiles might change that in the future. ;)

Or maybe the Canberra Kangaroos, Sydney Bulldogs, Darwin Demons and Cairns Saints will give an 8 / 6 majority to the northern clubs. ;):p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back