News 2016 St Kilda in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The academy zones are bullshit. Freo do basically nothing in their allocated zones and will continue to have pretty much * all involvement but they'll be able to pull talent out of there

Just another way to compromise the draft where the power clubs get the better outcomes

Academy zones:

mapvic.jpg

more controversial is the Northern Territory split:

mapnt.jpg
Our zone is the best by a mile, not too many people live in those areas, let alone play sport.

Having said that, it's a wankathon, we get the dregs of kids who aren't good enough to be drafted, whilst the NSW and QLD kids get number one draft picks.

Our zone includes a number of boarding schools that might include international students but we probably don't have access to many indigenous kids except through the draft.

So what's a non-traditional background? I think its a stupid concept, with most cultural groups more or less represented by their percentage of the population. Maybe Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian/Filipino backgrounds are under-represented in the AFL.

I'm just glad that StKilda ( and later the drug cheats ) paved the way for the "Half Welsh, Half Papuan" community.

So what's a non-traditional background? I think its a stupid concept, with most cultural groups more or less represented by their percentage of the population. Maybe Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian/Filipino backgrounds are under-represented in the AFL.

I'm just glad that StKilda ( and later the drug cheats ) paved the way for the "Half Welsh, Half Papuan" community.
Like so many things, they're making it up as they go along. Kenny Ong has been nominated by the AFL, he's been playing since Caulfield Bears U/9's

It's for the indigenous/multicultural kids that are passed on in the drafts I believe.
Ill admit i havnt gone over this whole zone thing with a fine tooth comb so correct me if im wrong please fella's.

So is our zone to draft indigenous kids overlooked in the draft around the Sandy area???
Sandringham isnt exactly a stronghold of the Aboriginal community is it.
If there is any talenented Indigenous boys in that zone theyd probably get drafted.
Were not gonna get too many scraps left over from there are we??o_O
Seems odd, am i missing something?

So is our zone to draft indigenous kids overlooked in the draft around the Sandy area???
Sandringham isnt exactly a stronghold of the Aboriginal community is it.
If there is any talenented Indigenous boys in that zone theyd probably get drafted.
Were not gonna get too many scraps left over from there are we??o_O
Seems odd, am i missing something?
Far too simplistic and pessimistic me 'ol snako.

We can also draft overlooked eskimos, sorry, overlooked Inuits from the Sandy area :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sudenese? I would like to have Aliah Aliah (sic) in my team.

Because they are a power club and have influence. Thats how zones work
There's no talented people coming from these zones, it's AFL window dressing to appease clubs and fans, it's all bullshit.
Anyone with half a fingernail of talent gets shoved into the AFL development system for all clubs to draft, except of course if you are from the AFL wasteland of the poor under developed Riverina and Albury area, where there are no AFL teams and leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back