MFC Fans Only 2017/2018 Summer sports talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t want to jinx us, but I don’t think Root has covered himself in glory so far this test. Bowling first has backfired tremendously and with the tip of the tail now playing recklessly to get bonus runs any old how, he has his bowlers sending down high balls to be swung at with abandon - and with a defensive field setting by and large, which the batsman don’t currently give a s**t about.

Props to him getting this far in life while being called root though. That must have been a very long childhood.

Surprised that one for Smith was reversed. Looked absolutely dead in front live. Glad he was triggered for not much more.

It was a big call not enforcing the follow on and heading out to bat under lights ... and at this point, it looks a pretty silly one. It becomes a different game in the day time tho.

Pretty rare to enforce the follow on nowadays unless you skittle the opponent in 40 or 50 overs. We're all about managing the workload.

It was a big call not enforcing the follow on and heading out to bat under lights ... and at this point, it looks a pretty silly one. It becomes a different game in the day time tho.

England will still have to bat tonight under lights, but let’s just hope the remaining Aussie batsmen hang around long enough that England have to start their innings under lights.

England will still have to bat tonight under lights, but let’s just hope the remaining Aussie batsmen hang around long enough that England have to start their innings under lights.
Yeah, I actually agreed with the decision. With so much time left to play, we'll get two night sessions at them if we need it. Also no telling that we would have bowled as well as they did after we'd already been in the field all day. The commentary about what a poor decision Smith made was inevitable, but probably needs to wait until the end of the innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the moment Smith decided to bat again it's opened the door for England This is the most un Adelaide wicket I have seen . The ball did * all tonite and a couple of dropped chances and some bad luck with referrals and we have given them a sniff. I think Handscomb has some issues to work out , like how far back he is . One way or another there will be a result Personally don't like this night thing and not having a 5th bowling option may bite us on the backside

It’s easy to say now we should of enforced the follow on, what has really cost us putting England out of this game was our poor batting, not only more runs but time. We needed to bat until dinner so England’s first overs where at the start of the twighlight as opposed to starting in the middle of thI afternoon

I enjoy watching bits and pieces of the cricket but as I've gotten older the magic of it has disappeared for me for some reason.

Football still gives me feelings of wonder, like I'm an eight year old kid again, but not cricket. I wonder if it's related to the fact that you barrack for a country rather than a club. The feeling of attachment just isn't there.

Another factor might be growing up in an era that featured what I'm fairly sure is the most dominant Australian side ever: Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne etc. I definitely took that great side for granted as a kid and I was actually enjoying the highlights of the 2006(ish) Adelaide Test they showed yesterday during the rain delay more than the actual game.

Anybody else feel the same?

Im the same. I think watching McGrath and Gillespie beat or find the edge again and again before Lee would come on and bowl thunderbolts while Warne spun his magic was probably the best we will ever see and now the bowling just looks boring save for the Mitchell Johnson 13 ashes.

Same with the batting. Langer and Hayden had this aura from Alfie hitting the first ball over the poms head for 6 to Hayden walking down the wicket at the fastest bowlers and pulling them for 4. Then came prime Ponting who just hit the most delightful pull and hook shot you would ever see before Gilchrist would put them to the sword later. There was so much character and skill in that team nowadays it's like watching Aus A.

Also the one day internationals, I don't know why but the old VB tri series just felt so much more important with McGrath bowling his first 7 overs for 10 while Lee attacked the stumps at the other end. The one day series are all abit meh now the excitement seems to have gone from them.

The descision to bat again was fair enough , what followed from our batting was comical , not so much the nite session as the ball was moving all over the place But yesterday's effort was pretty tragic. We shall see if we have enough runs on the board

The descision to bat again was fair enough , what followed from our batting was comical , not so much the nite session as the ball was moving all over the place But yesterday's effort was pretty tragic. We shall see if we have enough runs on the board
Yesterday was probably the worst case scenario of not sending them back in ... they took a bunch of wickets the night before and got their tails up to finish us off early.

At least it sets up a big last day ... I'd image the rate of absenteeism in the Greater Adelaide Area will be right up there today!

Im the same. I think watching McGrath and Gillespie beat or find the edge again and again before Lee would come on and bowl thunderbolts while Warne spun his magic was probably the best we will ever see and now the bowling just looks boring save for the Mitchell Johnson 13 ashes.

Same with the batting. Langer and Hayden had this aura from Alfie hitting the first ball over the poms head for 6 to Hayden walking down the wicket at the fastest bowlers and pulling them for 4. Then came prime Ponting who just hit the most delightful pull and hook shot you would ever see before Gilchrist would put them to the sword later. There was so much character and skill in that team nowadays it's like watching Aus A.

Also the one day internationals, I don't know why but the old VB tri series just felt so much more important with McGrath bowling his first 7 overs for 10 while Lee attacked the stumps at the other end. The one day series are all abit meh now the excitement seems to have gone from them.

Cricket is a sport where you need the superstars playing to make it good to watch. Ever since our golden generation retired I’ve enjoyed watching South Africa more than any other team tbh, mainly because of Steyn, Amla and ABDV.

Cricket is a sport where you need the superstars playing to make it good to watch. Ever since our golden generation retired I’ve enjoyed watching South Africa more than any other team tbh, mainly because of Steyn, Amla and ABDV.

That's why I would love to see them shorten the tests and spice up the conditions so that good bowlers can be dangerous and only the very best batsmen stand out.

They’ll never do that, they want tests to go for 5 days for the TV money. It’s like saying shorten the AFL season, just won’t happen.

Counter argument being if you shorten it to 4 days you can maximize crowds. First 3 days of Adelaide beat the 5 total last time round.
Plus you might get more interest in television as well. But your probably right, greed will overcome logic.

I suppose the last thing they could do is cut playing time to 70 over days instead of 90. So you still get 5 days but only 4 days worth of overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back