MFC Fans Only 2017/2018 Summer sports talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Watson was one of our better bats for a while. I would have him back but only for the sheer unadulterated joy all his LBW reviews gave me.

"Yah, Watto reviews... and confirmed, crashing into middle halfway up!"

7003b6fbc1ae2abe0977cad850b95b66
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shan...8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#imgrc=FvJ0yYbIHQz4_M:

Sod Root off and 3 for overnight would do nicely.

Good cricketer. Just needs his body to hold up.

Imagine the cricket he could have been if he hadn't been injured for half a decade at 18. He worked of Kallis on his debut tour which even though he wasn't the cricketer of his younger years he still had one of the most solid techniques ever.

For a tail ender Mitchell Johnson was great value. Essentially anything with any sort of height was slogged to cow corner. Brilliant.

Imagine the cricket he could have been if he hadn't been injured for half a decade at 18. He worked of Kallis on his debut tour which even though he wasn't the cricketer of his younger years he still had one of the most solid techniques ever.

For a tail ender Mitchell Johnson was great value. Essentially anything with any sort of height was slogged to cow corner. Brilliant.

I can't see him going a long period without getting injured. That bowling action is going to wear him out. Trying to find a few decent views of his action from back then compared to now, but hard to say. Looks like it has been tempered a touch, but still fairly similar.

I'm a bit surprised the selectors only went with the four bowlers. If England end up keeping us in the field for a day and a half, I'd be worried about Cummins and Starc to a lesser degree breaking down, and then Hazlewood getting overworked due to lack of options.

I can't see him going a long period without getting injured. That bowling action is going to wear him out. Trying to find a few decent views of his action from back then compared to now, but hard to say. Looks like it has been tempered a touch, but still fairly similar.

I'm a bit surprised the selectors only went with the four bowlers. If England end up keeping us in the field for a day and a half, I'd be worried about Cummins and Starc to a lesser degree breaking down, and then Hazlewood getting overworked due to lack of options.

It's very Jason Gillespie like he puts a lot through his back and shoulders in the delivery stride. They've scaled it back a little bit now but we really need a 5th bowler so he can bowl shorter spells.
Hope he stays fit though, his 6 for in South Africa was incredible and he really could have (still could) been anything

It's very Jason Gillespie like he puts a lot through his back and shoulders in the delivery stride. They've scaled it back a little bit now but we really need a 5th bowler so he can bowl shorter spells.
Hope he stays fit though, his 6 for in South Africa was incredible and he really could have (still could) been anything

Yep. Cummins is a solid unit though whereas Gillespie was a bit more of a whippet. There'd be a lot more grinding going on with Cummins' action, although to be fair he's had the better part of 4 years off. Gillespie fairly well hit a wall where he went from one of the world's best to a medium trundler, and I can see the same thing happening with Cummins. He'll need to be managed, which isn't as much of an issue these days given the rotational policy CA like to enforce.

Yep. Cummins is a solid unit though whereas Gillespie was a bit more of a whippet. There'd be a lot more grinding going on with Cummins' action, although to be fair he's had the better part of 4 years off. Gillespie fairly well hit a wall where he went from one of the world's best to a medium trundler, and I can see the same thing happening with Cummins. He'll need to be managed, which isn't as much of an issue these days given the rotational policy CA like to enforce.

Fair respect to the lad, not playing for 4 years and basically going to India on the back of a couple games and bowl well and then look our most dangerous bowler so far is a special talent.

Nathon Lyon has played 70 tests and taken 270 odd wickets... Wow, that crept up. Good to see though as they stuck by him and he's a dangerous bowler now. Might not be the best spinner going around but he's consistently been the best we've had in the last five odd years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathon Lyon has played 70 tests and taken 270 odd wickets... Wow, that crept up. Good to see though as they stuck by him and he's a dangerous bowler now. Might not be the best spinner going around but he's consistently been the best we've had in the last five odd years.

Even though it's a stupid comparison it's hard to shake the expectation that a spinner should be able to win you a match every time he bowls throwing grenades. Considering how crap most of the best spinners in the world are bowling in Australia he's a bloody good cricketer.

Look how easily the English spinners have been taken down in Australia lately.

Even though it's a stupid comparison it's hard to shake the expectation that a spinner should be able to win you a match every time he bowls throwing grenades. Considering how crap most of the best spinners in the world are bowling in Australia he's a bloody good cricketer.

Look how easily the English spinners have been taken down in Australia lately.

For a long, long time there Lyon was rocking up and rolling over darts to give the quicks a rest. He was doing that for a good 30 or 40 tests, I'd guess. Not much spin or flight, just avoiding making mistakes and trying to bore batsmen out. Compare to now where he's getting decent shape and an impressive amount of turn for a finger spinner... guy is only just 30, and with few other challengers popping up, it's not inconceivable he could push up towards 500 wickets over the next 5 odd years. Hard to fathom Lyon being up there with some of the greats of the game.

England have spinners? Ali is somewhat above a part-timer but doesn't have much in the arsenal, and Root is the definition of one. Since Swann imploded and retired they haven't had much to work with.

For a long, long time there Lyon was rocking up and rolling over darts to give the quicks a rest. He was doing that for a good 30 or 40 tests, I'd guess. Not much spin or flight, just avoiding making mistakes and trying to bore batsmen out. Compare to now where he's getting decent shape and an impressive amount of turn for a finger spinner... guy is only just 30, and with few other challengers popping up, it's not inconceivable he could push up towards 500 wickets over the next 5 odd years. Hard to fathom Lyon being up there with some of the greats of the game.

England have spinners? Ali is somewhat above a part-timer but doesn't have much in the arsenal, and Root is the definition of one. Since Swann imploded and retired they haven't had much to work with.

Yeah crazy he could get near that number. His best should still be in front of him as well.

We'll Giles and Panesar averaged about 500 in Australia with the ball. Swanns career was ended here. Australian wickets are not made for finger spinners which makes him even more remarkable

Lyon has become a good spinner The only thing stopping him from being a great spinner is his inability to develope a wrong un. Big wicket just b4 lunch from hazelwood , reckon that's the first time he got one to really move in the air.

Lyon has become a good spinner The only thing stopping him from being a great spinner is his inability to develope a wrong un. Big wicket just b4 lunch from hazelwood , reckon that's the first time he got one to really move in the air.

If he continues getting that amount of turn, only really needs a well-disguised arm ball. Would hate to be a lefty facing him bowling into Starc's foot marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back