Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Conventional wisdom says LDU won’t be available.

Realistically it’s going to keep chopping and changing and we’re a chance for any of Dow, Rayner, Cerra or Stephenson.

Of those, I’d go Rayner - Dow - Stephenson - Cerra.

I agree, his endurance isn't great at this point but he has that genuine elite talent and game breaking ability probably only Garner, Simpkin and maybe Wood possess. He could well be the best player in the comp in 5 years.

Garner and Wood have been on our list for 4-5 years now are have only shown glimpses of what they are capable of, I wouldn't describe them as 'elite talent and possess game breaking abilities' until they can actually get themselves on the park and produce consistently. These two guys are in danger of falling into the 'if only' category. Simpkin has only been on our list for 12 months and if his development continues, yeah, he could be elite.

Realistically it’s going to keep chopping and changing and we’re a chance for any of Dow, Rayner, Cerra or Stephenson.

we will get a very good prospect regardless which is the big positive.

"Ideally i'd like to stay in Melbourne...."

He just might end up slipping to us.
I can't see Carlton passing on him if Freo do. LDU will go 1 unless I'm way off, and I think Freo will go with Cerra Rayner
Personally I think they're more in need of pure mids. Apart from Cripps who are their grunt clearance players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon Carlton will likely pick either Rayner or Cerra for these exact reasons: they need inside grunt and skill, and attacking nous. Dow is better fit for us than them imo

Personally I think they're more in need of pure mids. Apart from Cripps who are their grunt clearance players?

We targeted Kennedy exactly for that reason and in the meantime, we have to wait for some of the young guys to come on. i.e. Petrevski-Seton.
There's strong mail that we may be leaning towards Dow. We'll see how that pans out.

They are in an even worse position with forwards.

Yes and no, but the no is somewhat dependent on how the young guys come on; HMckay, JSilvagni, CCurnow, who are all 20 or under.
Casboult is no world beater, but he does offer protection...or at least will, for another couple of years.

Personally I dont see why Carlton would choose Rayner, unless they choose him for the best talent available purposes. In terms if needs they have Cripps and now Kennedy and Rayner to me doesnt make sense. I think they need something different to their mix in the midfield. I don't know the others apart from Stephenson to suggest any of the others.

Edit: just saw the BLUWS supporter post. Sounds about right.

Personally I think we need a pure mid in Cerra. Someone who can run all day and hit up targets with excellent disposal. LDU is clearly the first choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might love to have Rayner with us, and if we pick him I'll be stoked, but I agree with others who say we needs mids, so one of Dow/Cerra/LDU would be more than okay. If all three of those are gone by our pick (and I'd be surprised if so) then we take Rayner. I don't see it happening though.

Still on the Bonar bandwagon, and hoping a miracle occurs and he slips to 23.

So who do we all want to draft?
Or do we all agree on whoever slides out of LDU, Dow, Rayner and Cerra.
Or are we hoping for Stephenson?
Stephenson not even in the picture for mine.
In order of preference for us (Assuming LDU is gone to Brissy/Freo)... i'd go:
1.Fogarty
2.Dow
3.Rayner
4.Cerra

So who do we all want to draft?
Or do we all agree on whoever slides out of LDU, Dow, Rayner and Cerra.
Or are we hoping for Stephenson?
Start at page one champ :thumbsu:

This is some of what Fogarty can do, sensational skills on left and right peg and has flexibility position wise depending on needs during the game t play on all lines; however imo he will become a clubs number 1 midfield general in years to come

Matt Kennedy, the Curnows and Murphy.

I haven't seen enough of Matt Kennedy to comment, but a decent clearance player went out for him to come in.
Murphy is 30 and isn't great in that area anyway.
Charlie curnow is going to be a freak, but not in that area imo. He had 10 clearances for the whole year and I just can't see him in that role.
Ed curnow is a B grader and for a side rebuilding for several years, you would want more in the bank than him.

Last edited:
We targeted Kennedy exactly for that reason and in the meantime, we have to wait for some of the young guys to come on. i.e. Petrevski-Seton.
There's strong mail that we may be leaning towards Dow. We'll see how that pans out. .

You did lose Gibbs to get Kennedy in. Most people associate Gibbs purely being an outside player. He is very handy on the inside and averaged 5 clearances a game this year.
I am by no means saying you're doomed in that area. Just that your half forward looks more set than your inside mid department.

Back