Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

NN also stated all year we really liked Stephenson. Even before his midfield dominance in the second half of the year.

I take it as we don't rate Stephenson above LDU, Dow, Rayner or Cerra. Hence we will take whoever is left at 4.

Can't see us going Brayshaw over Stephenson personally.
His Sandringham Dragons teammate Andrew Brayshaw won't last as long. Fremantle, North Melbourne, Collingwood and St Kilda have all been linked to the midfielder with their top-10 picks after his brilliant end to the season.

If we don't pick Andrew Brayshaw we should 100% be picking his brother later in the draft. I know he is an over age player, but he has made huge inroads in the development of his game over the last 18 months. He should have been taken last year.
So, Hamish and Andy?

If we don't pick Andrew Brayshaw we should 100% be picking his brother later in the draft. I know he is an over age player, but he has made huge inroads in the development of his game over the last 18 months. He should have been taken last year.

Agreed although id be looking to rookie rather than allocating him a primary slot.

Of all the names you've mentioned here, I reckon only Clarke and Ahern spent significant time as a genuine midfielder in u18s footy. Cunnington is probably the only pure mid we've drafted in the first round in the last decade.

yes, correct. He fitted our 2010 gameplan but the game has changed since then. Those strong static ball getter type are obsolete nowadays. If cunnington is to be A grader, he needs to have exceptional disposal and kicking accuracy and i dont think he has either. Unless we find him a marking forward spot then he is finished by 30. From what i noticed, the best teams in recent years is no longer the team with 2 or 3 exceptional midfielders with a few support but a swarm of perhaps 'no named' fast, aggressive, high tackle, high pressure, running both ways with a superstar or two. bulldog with bontempalli and richmond with martin. The age some players play the run and carry with 1 or 2 in and under plus a tagger or two defensive player is finished. Nowadays a midfield rotation will mean at least 16 players can and will play midfield, all must have high pressure and tackle count; 2 big key position defenders; 1 big forward if not a few medium marking forwards; 1 ruck, if not oh well. Small forwards and defenders are not only expected the play midfield but expected to play a big part in the defensive aspects of midfield. So if we apply this criteria, i can think of a few already with lines through them. Atley for one is a must go, can run and will thrive in a premiership team, a luxury player of sort. Too old to change his style, ship him off to FA, 2nd rounder in a strong draft year, can't say no.

I do think we are not too badly stocked for the modern game. We got brown as 1 big forward, if he goes down with ac, then ziebell, garner and soon zurhaar will all suffice as the medium marking forward type. in fact, from the limited footage of zurhaar, he belongs to the explosive half foward nearing 190cm category much like dustin martin and i pencil him in that group for our premiership. Turner, Simpkin, Anderson all need to step up to play the pressure smalls forward or in mid. A lot of work needs to be put into anderson in the pre-season. He's too young and talented to be wasted as a de-list, i would dare say if anderson don't get up, its much more about s**t coaching then s**t playing. A student will only be as good as the teacher's ability........

Ruck is a who cares as its increasingly becoming irrelvant as you could just forgo the ruck and attack the landing zone of the ball. So majak is actually an asset as he is much more mobile, mackay one day can take over. Defense we got nielson and durdin penciled in at fb and chf respectively, these guys r much harder to get then the mids. I would take rance over kelly and martin any given day. Marley williams is a great find as small defense, if we can cheaply get 2 more then i think it goes a long way to a permiership. The midfield can take care itself much easier than the forwards and defense, especially defense as it is an thankless yet most important job. our pick 4 this year needs to be a 2 way running pure mid and not the flashy half forward type. 2018 will net us a few good players with top 10 pic and thomas (pick 2 from rumour if he goes to the draft), at least 1 FS. Ahern would have settled in, simpkin is moving towards the mid. McDonald a future leader in the mid. Things look alright.

Then 2020, that's when things will start to look good then we dangle our million dollar carrot again and will get a least 1 superstar FA to complement repeat complement our core list. Premiership is just a cakewalk for the good old colling.........cough cough.... north melbourne.

Rad Roo I appreciate what you are saying but in any era of footy, whether it's past present or future, you are still going to need pure mids. Guys who can win their own footy, work in limited space, instinctively know the right running patterns etc.

It's tough to build a contending AFL midfield on guys who haven't done that throughout their junior careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey giantroo what do you reckon about Jack Roughsedge putting together that highlights package? I think he'd be a great rookie pick, if he can overcome the kind of adversity he has so far you know he'll do everything he can to make it at AFL level.

Is this what it's like to be a s**t side?

So much pressure to not **** up your early draft pick. No wonder all those Melbourne and Carlton supporters are headcases.
I've got draft fatigue already and there's still 3 weeks to go.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Fogarty would be a great pick at 23 but get the feeling he's going to go earlier than anticipated.

Hi all,

here is that info and link for the live Draft podcast for tonight!

DRAFT SPECIAL featuring two of the best in the business, AFL Draft Central and BigFooty's own, Bishop and Pie 4 Life

Join us live at 7:30pm Melbourne time as we discuss:

* Both Bishop and Pie 4 Life will provide their top 20 player rankings for this years draft

* Both will be selecting 5 players each (including 1 smokey that might be a hidden gem) to give a in depth review about that have impressed them this year

* Both will throw out some names they think might slide down the draft order this year

* We will go through a Mock draft for the first round selections

* Finish off with answering some listeners questions, which you can submit in the chat client while listening online!

You can tune in tonight LIVE at 7:30pm Melb time (approx) by clicking on the below link at around 7:30pm

https://www.spreaker.com/user/bigfooty.com

If you cant tune in to the live episode don't stress, i will post the edited version up afterwards on the draft and trades board.

Hi all,

here is that info and link for the live Draft podcast for tonight!

DRAFT SPECIAL featuring two of the best in the business, AFL Draft Central and BigFooty's own, Bishop and Pie 4 Life

Join us live at 7:30pm Melbourne time as we discuss:

* Both Bishop and Pie 4 Life will provide their top 20 player rankings for this years draft

* Both will be selecting 5 players each (including 1 smokey that might be a hidden gem) to give a in depth review about that have impressed them this year

* Both will throw out some names they think might slide down the draft order this year

* We will go through a Mock draft for the first round selections

* Finish off with answering some listeners questions, which you can submit in the chat client while listening online!

You can tune in tonight LIVE at 7:30pm Melb time (approx) by clicking on the below link at around 7:30pm

https://www.spreaker.com/user/bigfooty.com

If you cant tune in to the live episode don't stress, i will post the edited version up afterwards on the draft and trades board.

Awesome cant wait to listen and thx for letting us know :thumbsu:

Rad Roo I appreciate what you are saying but in any era of footy, whether it's past present or future, you are still going to need pure mids. Guys who can win their own footy, work in limited space, instinctively know the right running patterns etc.

It's tough to build a contending AFL midfield on guys who haven't done that throughout their junior careers.
I think the argument - which is valid - is that you need one 'elite' mid i.e. martin, bont, danger - but that just as important you need the worker bees who run chase etc.

The standard midfield of loping ruck, tagger, one outside and one inside is all but gone. All mid fielders need to do be able to do all things - and the club recognises this has let us down and we need to re stock that area with 'modern day' mids.

Goldie, Cunners, Higgins and jz as the starting 4 - hasn't work for 18 months and simply wont work anymore - and while Cunners is seen by many on this forum as our 'elite mid' - the problem is that he simply is not in the class of the true elite mids in the competition - yes he is elite on the inside but has such a non existent outside run and chase game that he cannot be considered a true modern day mid by any means.

With JZ in the centre square with Cunners at the same time it just becomes diabolical as neither chases back hard to fill holes with manic tackling pressure.

As we know though the club is all over this and we are now looking to get with the program so to speak.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/06/is-this-the-next-jeremy-howe/

Comparisons to highlight reel Collingwood star Jeremy Howe have become par for the course for Sturt teenager Jordan Houlahan.

A high-leaping half forward capable of standing on opponent’s heads, the 19-year-old half forward enters this year’s draft as arguably the most exciting pure football talent on draft boards.

Sturt general manager David Oatey said while the entire football package was still coming together, Houlahan’s capacity to excite was unquestionable.

“Jordan is a spectacular player,” he said.

“He has an outrageously good vertical jump but also reads the flight of the ball really well, so every week he will take a couple of Jeremy Howe-type hangers.

“While he’s played up forward, like Howe, he potentially could end up playing across half-back.”

Howe joined Collingwood under the assumption he would reprise his role as a high-flying forward, but as the injury toll hit, he was forced to move to defence and hasn’t looked back. After finishing fifth in last year’s best and fairest the 27-year-old former Demon placed fourth in 2017 behind runner away winner Steele Sidebottom.

With a similar skill set, the Sturt teenager shapes as a player with untapped X-factor heading into this year’s draft.

After undergoing a shoulder reconstruction last October the young forward took some time to find his feet after a limited pre-season.

Having left school last year, he spent this season living and working on a family orchard five days a week.

He played every game for South Australia at the national championships and made a reserves debut. Given the varied schedules he played in both the Under-18 and reserve grade Grand Finals.

A Carlton supporter growing up, Houlahan has had his worth ethic questioned by some and acknowledges it’s an area for improvement.

“It’s an area I’ve got to work on,” he said.

“I only did about four weeks of pre-season and started the year off a bit slow, but the second half of the year was solid. After the shoulder injury I’ve done as much as I could to try and catch up.

“My running is getting better but it has to keep improving.

“If I get to a club then that system should help me with the areas I need to.”

Rated a second or third round prospect, a host of clubs are interested in securing a player who has areas to work on but can do things few can’t.

Back