BigFooty Official 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft .....Trial Run (Starts Monday 9am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
All

Welcome to the 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft Trial Run.

Rule as per normal with the trial in that we dont bother about the F/S and Academy selections.

For participants you have 3 hours to make your selection. If you dont think you will be around PM either Lemmingmaster / Chris 25 or myself and we will drop in for you. Please include a bio on the player and some rationale as to why you took them.

Note the order is as per the round just concluded and I have added a few Rd 6 selections to give everyone at least 5 picks.

Kick off is at 9am Monday morning.

Adelaide - Thunderstruck
Brisbane - Quigley
Carlton - LemmingMaster
Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - foj1
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - D_P_S
Gold Coast - Danger in Texas
GWS - good self
Hawthorn - Snoop Dog
Melbourne - Hutchy Jnr
North melbourne - Ysaye
Port - LemmingMaster
Richmond - Bishop
Swans - ringo1
St Kilda - AFLprospectss
Western Bulldogs - Wizard17
WCE - Monocle

Last edited:
National Draft Order

ROUND ONE

# 1 Brisbane Lions - Luke Davis-Uniacke

Pick 1 Brisbane - Davis-Uniacke

This is not who I thought I would be picking at the end of last year but you have to go with who has stood up and for me LDU is one who has certainly done that. He is a inside mid ball magnet who I think will fit well with the mids we picked last year I think. I would have liked the number one pick to have a bit more hurt factor than LDU has but you have to take what you are given sometimes and for me LDU suits what we need the best. I am not the biggest Rayner fan and am happy to leave him for those picking after me.

# 2 North Melbourne - Adam Cerra

Pick 2 (North Melbourne) – Adam Cerra (Medium sized* midfielder)
Fors:
1. Fast and accurate handballs and often to high impact spots just as he is about to get caught, drawing opposition players and freeing up his own players.
2. Neat kick (high efficiency) with high impact into the forward 50 – often the man to deliver into the forward fifty and does this well.
3. Always on the move
4. High possession getter and doesn't look to have any endurance issues
5. True midfielder though looks to have the outside skills to play on a flank / wing as well.
6. Good mover through traffic.
7. Consistent – didn't have a down game through the championships.

8. Decent medium size.
Against:
Would guess he may only be average speed or doesn't go full tilt all the time.
Average midfield mark, nothing special here.
Good mover through packs but not a “explosive” type like a Fogarty that makes multiple side-steps or using strength to bash his way through.
Thoughts on selection: My understanding is that the Roos will be looking at this pick going to GWS for Josh Kelly, so I have half - picked in viewing that it would be a “replacement” for Kelly. I also tend where it is close (and I feel it is) towards “Best Available” (whatever that means) with early (Top 10) picks, and my view is that I am choosing this pick regardless of whether it was the team I support (Fremantle), North or the team that might end up with this pick (GWS) as much as I can.
I have had Rayner, Cerra and LDU as my standout top three for a month and nothing in the championships has changed that. Rayner obviously has the endurance question marks but I really like him too and think he would also be a reasonable fit for North, but Cerra has won out for me at this pick with higher disposal efficiency and overall consistency. I also feel he would compliment the North midfield (I don't think North have a midfielder like him); I think this is important as well. “Damaging” and also “Reliable” are the two adjacetives I wrote down next to Cerra's name.
At this stage Brander (As a forward), Stephenson and Fogarty are close behind this group, and I also like Lochie O'Brien as well as a top seven. I think the next three have higher ceilings but at this stage they haven't the level of consistent performances that the first three have and have lower “averages” at this stage, wider range and / or a much lower 95% bound.
*I am currently chairing a national group in writing a document on ethics and behaviours in an analytical area (forecasting), and one thing we have been strong on is imploring people not to suggest a level of precision that we cannot justify. Therefore, in that spirit, I am going to use the following intervals.
Small < 180cm
Average [180 : 185)
Medium [185 : 190)
Tall Medium [190 : 195)
Tall Key Position [195 : 200)
Ruck Tall >200cm

# 3 Carlton - Cameron Rayner

Pick 3 - Carlton - Cameron Rayner

If you're looking at this draft from a talent perspective, this guy is probably top of your list. As a great mix of explosiveness and skill. People are attempting to compare him with Dusty but then this is when it highlights the main concern with regards to Rayner is his endurance. He has recorded a sub 12 beep test if I am not mistaken and that is terrible and does not bode well for his transition into the midfield long term. Dusty on the other hand was posting beep tests above 14, so he had a tank to go with his ability.
If Rayner had posted a 13 beep test, then most people would sleep a little easier selecting him at the pointy end of the draft.

I was talking to an ex recruiter and he said Rayner reminds him of Heeney up forward with that combination of power and ability. Moving into the AFL he will probably become a small forward with the potential to have short bursts in the midfield. Unless he really builds a solid tank, then he may never transition into the midfield and will always be a small forward. Carlton since losing Betts, Garlett and Yaz have really struggled for some small forward options with the likes of Wright, Lamb, Sumner filling the void for the last few years. I could see Rayner kicking 30-40 goals a year and providing short bursts in the midfield. I like his kicking style and ability when he moves in the midfield, looks like a natural player. His strength and power allows him to play inside and outside.

I would have loved to select a Brander, Sutherland {insert tall} but nothing just stands out. I think Brander is potentially a defender first, Carlton have plenty of tall defending options, so not really a need for us at the moment.

# 4 Collingwood - Will Sutherland

Quick copy paste job from my July Power Rankings.

Collingwood #4 -
Will Sutherland (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 195cm, 90kg
Recruited from: Scotch College
Projected draft range: Top ten
Similar to: Jeremy Cameron
June Ranking: Not ranked
Rationale: Previously left out of these power rankings under assumption that he would choose a career in cricket. The choice by Sutherland to participate in this year's Under-18 Championships means he needs to enter the discussion. Possesses the upside to be the best in the draft.
Strengths:
Aggressiveness and intimidation
Loves the physical side of the game
Clean at ground level
Tackles with force
Acceleration
Agility
Repeat speed
Bodywork in one-on-one contests
Takes marks at highest point
Long and reliable kick
Versatility to play key forward or as a midfielder
Weaknesses:
Overhead marking needs to become consistently one grab
Limited exposure against good opponents with only the three Under-18 Championships matches played and no TAC Cup football under his belt
Endurance
Strength

--
Why Sutherland for Collingwood?

With Collingwood lacking good key position players and the good ones coming early. Had to go with Will Sutherland, in an attempt to find a long term partner to Darcy Moore.

Paddy Dow was the highest rated player remaining on my draft board and would also with his contested ball winning, explosive pace and skills have been a strong choice. I was initially thinking him, but I restrained myself and considered the clubs list needs, not feeling like the long term key forward to build around as a focal point will come through the trade or free agent period.

Will Sutherland with his aggressive approach is the type of character with the scope to be Collingwood's number one option up forward and a complement to Darcy Moore.

# 5 Gold Coast - Jaidyn Stephenson

Pick 5 - Jaidyn Stephenson

Strengths:
Aerial ability (very much a one-grab player in the air)
Clean at ground level
Agility and speed
Composure
Ability to 'kick a bag' (very, very dangerous player forward of centre)
Goal kicking accuracy
Willingness to take the game on (has confidence in his ability)

Weaknesses:
Field kicking a little inconsistent
Inconsistency between games
Needs to develop strength

Stephenson is the definition of a 'freakish' player, and a 'match winner'. He's the type of player that can win a game absolutely off his own boot, and there's few of those going around. He has a special combination of attributes that make him a difficult match-up, particularly in the forward 50. His athleticism, agility and speed, combined with his height of close to 190cm, allows him to create easy separation from his opponent. His midfield craft is a little bit of an unknown at this stage, with his inconsistency from game to game affecting his ability to stamp his authority in the midfield, but he has proven he can run through the middle at times, and be damaging whilst doing so, showing that he, at the very least, can be a midfield rotation.

Why for the Suns?
The Suns don't necessarily lack up forward. They have some very nice talls in Wright and Lynch, and some freakish smaller players like Ah Chee who can do damage. The Suns could, however, do with a difficult match-up like him as a very nice point of difference on their forward flank. Perhaps, when he develops, he can help out the likes of Fiorini and Martin on a wing, or even showcase his abilities in the guts. A very intriguing, and promising, prospect.

# 6 St Kilda (received from Hawthorn) - Charlie Constable

Pick 6 St Kilda: Charlie Constable 190cm, 80kg, Inside mid/Utility (Vic Metro/Sandringham)

BIO - I think we all knew the qualities that Constable has, but for him to demonstrate those at the highest level this year is a massive tick in my book. Averaged 26 touches over the carnival playing across HF/HB and as an inside mid. Not blessed with pace or strong endurance, Constable uses his football smarts to find the footy. Strong around congestion using his big frame to his advantage, Makes good decisions and is extremely versatile. I would go as far as saying he looked the most clean and composed player across the championships.

RATIONALE - Constable will be a superstar IMO, will start his career either across HF or HB while developing his body and endurance but will one day be an elite inside mid.

WHO ELSE? - Would have taken Stephenson if available, Brander would have been the next cab off the rank

Chris25

# 7 Fremantle - Darcy Fogarty

# 8 Western Bulldogs - Nick Coffield

Pick 8 - Western Bulldogs - Nick Coffield (190cm, 83kg utility from the Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

Bio: Coffield tall and highly skilled player that has the ability of playing across half back, through the midfield and through the forward line. Despite his size he is very fast running a sub 2.9 second 20m sprint at the TAC Cup testing day earlier in the year and he uses this pace effectively to break lines. He also has some of the most elite footskills in this draft making him lethal with the ball in the forward half of the ground, and he tends to find a lot of the ball, averaging just over 22 disposals a game during the champs. He is also a very capable leader captaining the Northern Knights this season.

Why the Dogs?: With the retirements of our older players and leaders likely to retire either this year or next year the dogs need to find players who can take the roles of these players. Coffield fits in by adding another line breaking runner into our mix and adds some much needed skills and leadership.

# 9 Essendon - Paddy Dow

Pick 9 Essendon Paddy Dow 184cm 80kg Midfielder Bendigo Pioneers/ Geelong Grammar

Player Description
Paddy is a midfielder who can win the footy on the inside and has speed to break from the stoppage and be effective from the outside as well.
Paddy is an above average athlete as he has a good mixture of speed and endurance. He runs a sub 3 second 20 metre and beeps at just under 14.
He is a consistent, hard working, two way midfielder who is going to be at the very least a solid member of a midfield group.
He is above average in the air for his size and has the knack of kicking goals.
His kicking is good but is not A1 and he will need to tidy his technique a little.
Paddy had a very solid National carnival as the stats below will demonstrate and he was rewarded with All Australian selection.
I felt he should of won the MVP for Vic Country.

Nationals Stats
Game 1 15 Disposals 75% kicking eff 66% contested possessions 5 clearances 4 tackles 1goal
Game 2 23 Disposals 50% kicking eff 60% contested possessions 6 clearances 1 tackle 1 goal
Game 3 17 Disposals 60% kicking eff 60% contested possessions 4 clearances 3 tackles 0 goals
Game 4 21 Disposals 60% kicking eff 50% contested possessions 6 clearances 2 tackles 1 goal

Rationale for Pick

It came down to Dow, Brander and Hayes. I eliminated Hayes who is 7 on my board as TBC, Leuenberger, McKernan and Daniher are not being destroyed each week in the ruck. Brander won a lot of footy at the nationals though he won a lot of footy as a defender. His last game at the Nationals he kicked 3 goals and took 9 marks which of 3 were contested however I am mindful he was playing on Jones and Podhajlski who were both undersized and Balta who is a work in progress.

# 10 West Coast - Lochie O'Brien

Pick 10. West Coast.

Lochie O'Brien 184 cm 75 kg . Midfielder. Bendigo Pioneers Vic Country.

View attachment 391492

With a pick in the top 10 I wanted to address the Eagles most glaring weakness, that being, their midfield.
O'Brien was still on the board at 10 and therefore I took him as the best available midfielder.

OK what he does well.
He has a massive tank and is an elite runner, he is also quick and fleet footed. However his greatest asset is his ability to hit targets by foot both long and short. He has great vision and is able to read the play ahead of him when he has ball in hand, be that the long pass or the ability to lower his eyes and spot up a short to medium target. His natural left foot is sublime and unlike may "lefties" he is also proficient on his non dominant. He makes good choices and is a player who you fell safe with the ball in his hand going forward. Runs all day and his high motor allows him to do this with pace and as such he is a run and carry player who can not only run the lines but also break the lines. When the ball is in his hands he makes things happen.

What he needs to improve.
He is a very outside and he will need to address that because he needs to develop the ability to get more of his own football , because if he doesn't he is going to be a lot easier to shut down. He also needs to get more of the football, if he addresses the former deficiency he will automatically increase his production.

Summary.
He has silky skills and his foot work is a treat and given the Eagles ( in the main ) slow and inaccurate by foot midfielders , these skills will be a welcome addition and I am sure that Kennedy, Darling and the small to mid sized forwards would reap the benefit from the classy delivery. He is but "one piece" of the jigsaw puzzle thats going to be required to fix the mess that is the current West Coast midfield, as I said he is one piece but he is a classy piece at that.

Also was tempted by two other names : Jack Higgins and Hunter Clark

* For those of you that don't have a sharp eye or a Monocle note thats Daniel Venables in the background of the picture with O'Brien.

# 11 Sydney - Jarrod Brander

Ok here we go
PICK 11
Jarrod Brander Bendigo Pioneers
I believe the Sydney Swans will be looking for a player capable of taking over the role of a Kurt Tippett. Brander was touted as a number 1 pick earlier in the season but has dropped off in the eyes of many. He can play forward and back and is a great user of the ball. Needs to develop a harder edge at the next level but he will learn this over the coming seasons.The swans would be thrilled to see him available at 11.

# 12 St Kilda - Hunter Clark

Pick 12 St Kilda - Hunter Clark 186cm, 79kg (Vic Country, Dandenong)

BIO - Clark is one of the toughest players in this draft. After impressing last year off HB for Dandenong and Country, Clark has moved into an inside mid role to great success. Best dual sided player in the draft and although his kicking efficiency hasn't been the best this year i still rate him a very good kid/user of the footy.

RATIONALE - Trained with the Saints over the summer as part of the AFL Academy. would start his career off HB before moving into the midfield. Wasn't my best available (Sam Hayes was) but i feel like he will fit in this range come November

WHO ELSE? - Nearly pulled off a miracle after passing up Brander at 6 and him nearly making it to my 2nd pick but that wasn't the case. Nearly blew the draft open and went Houlahan but its a touch early for him

# 13 Richmond - Sam Hayes

Pick 13 Richmond: Sam Hayes

Key Position Forward/Ruckman (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
09/06/1999 | 203cm | 93kg

At this stage I'd pencil him as a forward first, ruck second - but you can easily declare he'd be the best ruckman in the draft. Showed in 2016 that he can easily play deep up forward as he can mark well overhead. He is also a decent kick for goal and rucks well around the ground and at the centre bounces. His leading patterns up forward are just ok - but will need work.

Has some good traits and some I'm not a huge fan of - but the fact that Richmond need a tall & he's around the mark means I'll take him.

# 14 Melbourne - Jake Petrucelle

Super flat that Hunter Clark was snapped up at Pick 12. Had my eyes on him. A much-needed Key Position Defender will still be around, for mine, with my second pick. So I have gone with…

Pick 14- Melbourne Demons:

Jack Petruccelle- (184cm/73kg)- Northern Knights/Victoria Metro. Midfielder.

Raw talent is what springs to mine with Jack. He is the fastest boy in the draft and has plenty of match winning ability. Jack is an athletic freak, his leap, and power plus underrated strength, surprise the opposition. An ex representative basketball player, he uses his agility and speed acceleration to make his way through traffic and deliver the ball, on both left and right foot. He can also impact the scoreboard, when up forward and win his own ball in the contest.
Seen to some as an inside midfielder, I can see him developing into more of an outside midfielder at the next level, his pace being a major upside.
Melbourne FC needs an outside midfielder/runner to aid there inside bulls in Viney, Vince, Oliver, Jones and CP5.

A bolter to some, Jack Petruccelle is still learning the game, eager to improve and will fit into Melbourne midfielder group nicely. He could potentially move onto the half back flank as an attacking defender too. Jayden Hunt on one flank and Jack Petruccelle on the other?? Look out AFL 2018 and beyond.

Strengths:
Acceleration, Athletic ability, Leap, Contested ball winner, Chase down tackler, Raw Talent

Weakness:
Kicking consistency, Contest positioning and Body size (weight)

# 15 Brisbane Lions (received from Port Adelaide) - James Worpel

Sorry I drove to Nth Qld on the weekend and am doing the family thing a bit so I am in and out.

Pick 15 - Brisbane - James Worpel

I had Worpel and Clarke as the two guys I desperately wanted at the Lions coming into the year. Both have dropped down the ladder a bit from where I had them coming in and I would love us to pick up either with this pick. Some of the talented bottom agers take a step back in their draft year as they take their foot off the gas waiting to be drafted and often they bounce back well. I expect Worpel to do the same and I would love to have him at the Lions.

# 16 Richmond (received from Geelong, via Carlton and GWS on-trades) - Matt Ling

Pick 17 Richmond: Matt Ling

Outside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
21/04/1999 | 182cm | 74kg

There were a few considerations for this selection: Joel Garner was the obvious one and someone I rank higher than Ling but I still took Ling. Noah Balta & Nathan Kreuger two others I like, but going tall with the first selection meant I was happy to go small with the second pick. I was expecting a few KPD getting to the third selection, but there are some who have been taken already who I am completely surprised about - so that'll make things interesting....

Ling can play across half back and add some speed/dash similar to how Andy McGrath is playing at Essendon & is something that Richmond don't really have across half back.

Ling is a left footer who has a pinpoint pass on the outside and is a very smart football. He makes good decisions with ball in hand & is one of the most "agile" players in the draft. Likely to be the first Falcon selected and his moments in the U18 Championships were very good. Whilst he didn't put a complete performance together his flashes were very good - note he isn't a big ball winner.

Averaged 14 disposals & four marks in the U18 Champs and used it reasonably well by foot (including kicking at 100% v Vic Metro - in the highest standard game of the carnival)

# 17 Adelaide - Jack Higgins

Pick 17 - Adelaide - Jack Higgins 178cm 76kg Oakleigh Chargers

I feel Higgins is probably a reasonable get here at 17 - he's a real natural footballer. Big, big ballwinner, always creating, always looking dangerous and one you don't want to let off the leash too much, especially when he's forward of centre. Dual-sided, good hands and very competent overhead for his 178cm frame. Can hurt on the scoreboard as well. Runs to the right places to receive and has a tremendous work rate and ethic. He would compliment the attacking style of Adelaide very well and bolster that midfield depth which is clearly the main issue at West Lakes atm. Good forwards, good defence, average midfield. Whilst there are a couple of good kids in Galluci and Poholke from last year, another is needed to keep the depth and quality going. Dean Gore is not going to cut it lets be honest....

ROUND TWO

# 18 Brisbane Lions - Patrick Naish

# 19 North Melbourne - Aaron Naughton

Pick 19 (North Melbourne) - Aaron Naughton Tall Medium Defender

Pros:
1. Good hands (mark or spoil);
2. Decent speed and leap;
3. Agile for a big guy;
4. Good size; and
5. Good positioning down back.

Cons:
1. Kicking needs a bit of tidying up;
2. Not absolutely massive height; and.
3. Needs a few preseasons (but right shape)

Why? Feel like I'm going best available talent here; there is a lot to work with. Although he is probably best down back I can see him being useful forward (where he has played a bit for Peel). Basically has the right ingredients and the form. Kicking is raised as not being bullet like but my take on it is that the core ingredients are there, just needs a little bit of fine tuning. The decision making is there I think. Has a lot of excellent form and AA Half back.

I also considered Ballenden here, but I just really like the agility and speed of Naughton.

# 20 Geelong (received from Carlton) - Noah Balta

Pick 20 - Geelong - Noah Balta - Calder Cannons
194cm 92kg 23/10/99

I know Ballenden is around and would be an ideal pick but considering how close it is to call for this pick I'll go with the player that's actually a chance in the real thing

Balta is an incredible athlete with tremendous speed and leap, everything he does is at 100% and it makes him a real impact player no matter the position he plays. For Calder he has played all over the ground this includes playing in the Ruck which he wouldn't be expected to do at AFL level. There has been debate whether he is best suited up forward or in defence and I think up forward is his best position. His skills and composure can be an issue sometimes he will tend to just run and kick without much thought but I still like his eagerness to take the game on and attack in everything he does. He is an October birth so he could still yet grow taller.

Reasons
Balta played in defence for Metro with many believing his best spot is at CHB but I feel he doesn't have the skill level and composure for that role but his skill set makes him a very dangerous forward. His running patterns are what's holding him back up forward but that is something that can be worked on at AFL level. With his leap and marking to go with his speed and solid frame he would be a Knightmare matchup for opposition defenders. He commands a big defender because of his leap but his speed is what could catch many off guard. Geelong need forwards and Balta has huge potential as a forward but even if it doesn't work out he could always be trialled down back and be a solid contributor as he has been for Metro.

# 21 Greater Western Sydney (received from Collingwood) - Andrew Brayshaw

# 21 GWS GIANTS - Andrew Brayshaw / Sandy Dragons / 183 / 80kg

Been super impressed with him this year and been tracking since his bottom age year as had a bit of whisper he could be the best of all the Brayshaw boys yet.

For mine he is a pretty complete footballer. .

Dominated TAC level and is averaging circa 25 possessions (around 10 contested), 8 tackles and nearly a goal a game. Backed that up through the champs with a couple of really good performances.

At his core he is a contested ball winner who just wants the footy. Not huge but he is smart with his body around the contest / in the air and will lean and nudge to gain the physical advantage and ensure the ball is going to be on his side. His first few steps are very good and he can then use that speed to exit the congestion. Once he is out I think his ball use is very good, he copes very well with frontal pressure as he executes and there were a number of times over the last few weeks where I thought what he produced with the ball was really impressive. One of the things I really liked about his champs was that he demonstrated how well he can play on the outside and he also showed that he can push forward as well.

Whats the knock. Probably lacks the x factor element the boys who have been called already probably have. Having said that if he keeps up with what he has shown this year to date am pretty sure he will go higher than here come draft day

Going well this kid. Lot to like for mine.

....gee some very good players left on the board. Probably 8 I had who could have quiet happily taken. Allen, Ballenden and Garner probably the 3 others looked at closely.

Last edited:
# 22 Gold Coast - Joel Garner

Strengths:
Ability to read the flight of the ball
Intercept marking
Decision making and composure
Kicking accuracy
Leadership traits
Agility
Clean hands
Clean at ground level

Weaknesses:
Tends to float in and out of games
Ability to become a full-time mid unclear

Garner is a player who screams X-Factor for mine. It's a special occurrence when you find a player of his ability combined with a maturity beyond his years. Garner, as their captain, has been a general for Vic Metro, controlling their backline. His cleanness and decision making with ball in hand is arguably his greatest strength, both outside and inside the contest. Playing as a defender, he has shown he has great ability to intercept, and read the play as the ball flies into the forward 50. Garner's footy smarts and instincts are some of the best in the draft pool, often knowing when to switch the play in defence or take the game on. His ability to go into the midfield full-time at this stage is unclear, although I believe he can eventually become a genuine balanced midfielder.

Why for the Suns?
One thing the Suns do lack is a smaller general in defence. Steven May is a great taller presence, but I feel that the backline could do with a rebounder with his immense footy smarts.

# 23 Gold Coast (received from Hawthorn) - Oscar Allen

# 24 Gold Coast (received from Fremantle) - Lachlan Fogarty

# 25 Western Bulldogs - Zac Bailey

# 26 Essendon - Brayden Ainsworth

Pick 26 Brayden Ainsworth 183cm 75kg Midfielder Subiaco/ WA
Brayden has had a terrific year this year and has still got a heap of development in him. Moved to Perth from Esperance and it is the first time he has been in a real development environment. Another bloke who can win the footy at high volumes and is a hard worker. He is very good at clearances and applies very good defensive pressure.His speed is not elite but he works hard from contest to contest and I think he can turn into a nice cog of a strong midfield.His kicking is only average but he wins a lot of his footy in traffic. He has averaged 27 disposals at Colts level and 12 disposals at reserves level.
Brayden had a terrific National carnival which was rewarded with All Australian honours and he is ripping country kid who will fit into a footy club well.

Nationals Stats

Game 1 26 disposals @ 50% kicking efficiency 50% contested possessions 4 tackles 8 clearances 1 goal
Game 2 17 disposals @ 60% kicking efficiency 50% contested possessions 2 tackles 5 clearances
Game 3 23 disposals @ 60% kicking efficiency 36% contested possessions 4 tackles 3 clearances
Game 4 27 disposals @ 55% kicking efficiency 55% contested possessions 7 tackles 9 clearances 1 goal

Rationale For Pick
I think the Bombers need some midfielders who are high volume ball winners and who are able to win the footy at stoppages which Ainsworth can do.
The Bombers are likely to lose Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Hocking, Howlett and Bird over the next two years and you need to replace them.
Ainsworth reminds me of Matt Priddis in the sense that he may not look the classist footballer but he just keeps getting the ball, keep winning clearances and works a little bit harder than his opponent.
I considered CCJ, Ballenden and Claravino with this selection but I think Ainsworth is the type of player the Bombers need and could be part of a group with Langford, Mutch, Clarke, Parish, Merrett and Dow if this draft was real that would give us a hard working two way midfield that would feed a pretty competitive forward line and support a pretty competitive defence.
There is a player who I have higher on my board than Ainsworth but I think he may slip to my next pick as I have heard none mention him on here so we will wait and see.

# 27 West Coast - Sam Taylor

# 27. West Coast.

Sam Taylor 196 cm 85 kg KPD . Swan Districts/ Guildford Grammar

View attachment 391493

As is often the way the players two players that I wanted went just before pick 27. I had wanted to get a quality inside midfielder and Lachlan Fogarty and Andrew Brayshaw were my two preferred options, but thats the lick of the draft.

So why Taylor.
Firstly I was very impressed with his Championships.
The traits that caught my eye were:
Good use of the body in the one on ones.
Very strong hands over head.
Good decision making as to when to punch and when to mark.
Very good lock down defender.
Poised and makes good decisions by foot when the ball is in his hands coming out of defence.
Reads the play well ahead of him.
Big strong lump of a lad who moves very well for his size.

Naughton got most of the adulation for his defensive attacking efforts and they were warranted , but its always easier to go all out attack in the knowledge that there is a very good safety net behind you, Taylor was Naughton's safety net and consequently they worked very well in tandem..
Whilst Taylor played FB in the Champs I have no doubt he can play at CHB as well.

I deviated from the task of addressing the midfield with this pick but none of the players who were next on my list of mids were rated on my board as high as Taylor. I will compromises a few spots but the gap in this instance did not warrant going a mid just on principle.

TBH there wasn't much in my grade rating between Taylor and Clavarino so in the end I went home grown.

With Mckenzie and Schofield nearing the ends of their career's and the ability to move McGovern forward, should another KPD blossom I was very happy to take Taylor with this pick.

# 28 Sydney - Stefan Giro

Ok boys got in a bit earlier
PICK 28 Stefan Giro Sydney Swans
After a sensational Nationals, Giros is one that can go through the midfield but also be dangerous if playing as a forward. Quick, with an irate goal sense he can hurt sides in the blink of an eye. He seems to be improving at a significant rate and see him as a player who could give the Swans mids a chop out. Giro will also be able to play the small forward role to create a dangerous forward half for the Swans.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

# 29 Greater Western Sydney (received from St Kilda) - Nathan Kreuger

# 29 GWS GIANTS - Nathan Kreuger / South Adelaide / 196cm / 86kg

Really excited about this kid. Seen a reasonable amount of him and he is capable of some really special moments.

Whilst there is a fair bit of x factor about him its his competitiveness, work rate and athletic ability that have me taking him here.

Probably more suited to a flank (either back or forward) at the moment / when he hits AFL level but he has the scope to fill out and play as a mobile / high work rate key forward in a bit the same manner as maybe Sam Reid. Got a lovely set of hands on him, really nice user off that left side and gets into good positions as a forward. His vision seems good and he wants to get the game rolling so is quick to move into position for the next release.

I think clubs will come for him because the ceiling is high.

# 30 Gold Coast (received from Richmond) - Oscar Clarivino

# 31 Melbourne - Harry Petty

Missed Clavarino by 1 spewing but was lucky to have this boy around, as a few Key Position Players went earlier than I thought, with him not being picked.. surprising.

Pick 31 - Melbourne Demons:
Harry Petty: 194cm/81kg. Norwood FC/South Australia. Key Position Defender/Utility.

South Australia's MVP for the 2017 u18 Championship and All Australian u18 Team .
Relatively new player in terms of not much knowledge on him before the U18 Championship, but boy did he impress and rocketed into contention for best defender in the land. Playing at CHB and nailing down that position for SA, he played on some of the big forwards in this draft pool and not only held his own but damaged them when needed too.
Petty has a lot of development left in him, but he got better every game he played, showing his want, coach ability and desire to get better. He is athletic, reads the ball very well, smart football brain and can take a fantastic pack mark. His intercept marking is his best trait for mine, as well as the upside of what he could potentially develop into.
He has played several positions back in the SANFL, and sometimes been called upon to ruck, and at times went forward in the championship, showing his ability to swingman/utility like.
Petty will settle well in the Melbourne FC defence, as they are really lacking another tall down there. Petty is a general back there and once he adds some more size and strength, good luck to the forward who has to match up on him.
Vey glad this guy was still around at 31 and so should the Melbourne FC supporters.

# 32 Port Adelaide - Connor Ballenden

Conner Ballenden.

With Trengove potentially leaving Port Adelaide and their ruck stocks taking a hit, this is a good time to select a ruck/defender.

Conner has played forward, ruck and back and he looks rather solid down back. I think the main concern with Ballenden is his speed and that may mean he struggles going forward as a defender as they often like defenders with a little zip.
Has a nice set of hands and a very solid kick for his height. Reads the play well and often can win a one on one contest. I also think he has potential up forward, so you may actually get some millage out of him forward as well. I've not seen him ruck a lot recently, so that is another string to his bow that he really needs to develop.

# 33 Geelong - Callum Coleman-Jones

Coleman-Jones along with Hayes is one of the best rucks in this years draft. What he also shares with Hayes is the ability to play up forward and take contested marks. Coleman-Jones has proven to be a decent tap ruckman but what help him stick out is his follow up work around the ground as shown with his 28 Disposal game early in the championships. Coleman-Jones didnt get to shine up forward put he can play there and i suspect he will start his AFL career up forward. Kicking is a concern but it isn't much worse than most rucks already in the AFL system. He is very smart and has leadership credentials. He will be value in the 2nd round and beyond.

Reasons

There wasn't many key forwards i liked for this pick but Coleman-Jones is too good a player to pass up. He can play Forward but i feel after Zac Smith has done his time (27 so not many years left) CCJ will be ready to take the mantle. His ability to play forward and follow up in the Ruck make him a perfect modern day Ruckman. There is still so more forward i could look at late but ive gone best available here and its a bonus that CCJ can play up forward.

# 34 Hawthorn (received from GWS, via Carlton on-trade) - Jordan Houlahan

# 34 Hawthorn - Jordan Houlahan / Sturt / 185 / 78

Super talent who has just oozes AFL class. Needs to get a decent run at it and ensure the work rate is there to back it up but if it all comes together could be one of the real gems of this draft. Medium forward who has speed, leads to good spots, can jump at the footy and has terrific hands. Really clean with the ball so he doesnt need a lot to have an influence. If he breaks a few games apart in the 2nd half he will rise pretty significantly. He is taller than Jamie Elliott but he shares a few traits.

# 35 Adelaide - Ryley Stoddardt

Geez I thought a few of those were going to slide then bang bang bang they all went after one another. Sorry for the delay, my net died as I was trying to submit my post. Here it is again anwyays.

Pick #35 - Adelaide - Ryley Stoddart 183cm 83kg Eastern Ranges

I really like this kid, he's got a tenacity about him when under pressure in defence and can handle real heat. Has a good ability to see through traffic and use his left leg to advantage. Makes good decisions coming out of defence and does have good rebounding ability. Fairly slight of frame still but will grow into it. The crows might have a few of his type but really only have Luke Brown as that good lock down defender and when he goes out I find it upsets things a lot balance wise. Another little gem like Stoddart would be excellent but i think he probably offers more on the rebound than Brown would - just perhaps not quite the quality of lock down roles that Brown provides but he can learn. Am keen to see how he develops.

ROUND THREE

# 36 Collingwood (received from the Brisbane Lions) -Brayden Crossley

# 36 Collingwood (received from the Brisbane Lions) Brayden Crossley (QLD – Gold Coast Academy)
Best position: Ruck
Height, weight: 198cm, 105kg
Recruited from: Labrador Tigers
Projected draft range: second round onwards
Similar to: Braydon Preuss
June Ranking: Not ranked
Rationale: Strength in the ruck combined with his rare followup work by position. Crossley has the scope to develop into a monster of a ruckman.
Strengths:
Roves off a contest like a small
Recovery after ruck contests rare
Followup work with ground ball winning and tackling exceptional
Physical impact around the ball
Freakish cleanness at ground level for someone his height/size
Strength
Bodywork in the contest
Agile
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Leap
Acceleration
--

Why pick Crossley? Simple best available talent as my only remaining top 20 rated talent (rated 16 in my July power rankings).

Crossley playing a Shane Mumford style of game with that same strength, recovery from ruck contests and followup work winning the ground balls and tackling. He is made of AFL stuff and can at AFL level be a lead ruckman for a club - as shown v Metro where he was in my view certainly through the 1st half and probably for the match B.O.G. with his impact significant.

There are others who could have filled other list needs but ultimately my interest is in drafting someone I'm confident is AFL quality rather than someone I feel is only a speculative chance.

# 37 Western Bulldogs (received from North Melbourne) - Toby Wooller

# 38 Carlton - Charlie Spargo

Carlton have been seriously lacking small forwards for a long period of time since we dumped our three amigos. Spargo was a super talented small forward with the ability to move into the midfield as a 17 year old last year. I've not seen him in 2017 with injury robbing me of a chance. I am backing on his upwards progression in ability and everything that I noticed in 2017 point to me thinking he can succeed even with his height at AFL level.

Some of the best kicking skills in his draft group and high level football IQ that has solid skills on both sides of his body. Very smart around goals and I really like him in the midfield as well. Carlton with a number of taller players selected recently could do with someone at their feet.

# 39 Brisbane Lions (received from Collingwood) - Adam Sambono

# 40 Gold Coast - Andrew McPherson

# 41 Hawthorn - Jake Patmore

# 41 Hawthorn - Jake Patmore / Claremont / 182cm / 79kg

Quite fancy this kid. Nice size and has good speed and agility. Reads the game in the back particularly well is generally a good ball user. Having said that were time during champs (VC game) which raised some issues for me bc he butchered it at times which surprised me a lot. Watched him closely as game went on and he never dropped his head he kept pulling the trigger and turned his fortunes around. Some of his skill late was sublime. His work rate was also particularly good. Has a little of the Jarrod Harbrow about him. Certainly has some other AFL attributes. Seems to possess the time needed to make good decisions. He can back out of a contest with ease and open up space for himself and then more than happy to go back, on the 45 or switch. As long as that skill level holds up should be a good prospect.

# 42 Fremantle

#42 Fremantle - Nicholas Shipley (190cm, 90kg midfielder from GWS)

I really like this kid, even if I'm alone in that regard. I currently have him at #12 overall, and think he's a better prospect than someone like Constable who is the current bandwagon. Bit of background, he is a GWS Academy player. And he's one they do deserve, having brought him across from soccer 3 years ago and developed him into what he is now.

He's one of those modern prototype players, 190cm and capable of playing any role on the ground. At the Division 2 Champs, he was the Giants MVP as an inside midfielder/forward. While he has also played down back in the NEAFL. His Division 1 Champs were good, but not great. He played mostly inside and got plenty of ball, but his impact was down on his best.

I think his work at stoppages is as good as almost any player in the draft. He gets first touch on the ball, is clean in close with his hands and is a natural at moving through traffic. He also uses his size to his advantage. For someone who has only played the game for 3 years, he really does look the part. One of those see ball, get ball midfielders. But he also has the versatility to play elsewhere, and is strong overhead with a handy knack at finding the goals. If you've only seen him play for the Allies side, you'd probably have question marks over his foot skills. But they're actually decent in my opinion. He just seems unsure at times whether to go by foot or hand, and if he second guesses himself then he'll revert to handballing. Which is understable, given how good his handballing is. But he can kick.

Weakness wise, I think he's pretty solid. Pure speed isn't elite, but he looks to have good straight line speed and runs hard. Has enough burst and power as an inside midfielder anyway. Impact wise, his games aren't always elite. But that should improve, particularly as he starts kicking more.

He reminds me a bit of Connor Blakely at times - ball winner, hits the ball hard and strong overhead. Cameron Ellis-Yolmen is another from the Crows. Shame he did his knee in the preseason, but he's stuck around on the list for 6 years so obviously has something to offer.

Ysaye

# 43 North Melbourne (received from the Western Bulldogs) - Harry Simington

PIck 43 writeup (North Melbourne) Harry Simington - Medium Midfielder
Pros:
Accurate kick
Good decision maker
Tall midfielder
good movement in traffic

Cons:
Endurance needs work
Average speed
Not a major ball-winner

Reasons: This pick would be in reality moderated upon athleticsm demonstrated in the draft but Simington probably is a flanker at the next level and what I value in midfielders that play mainly flanks is the ability to use the ball and the height to be useful in the air. Simmington is close to tall medium height and is a good size. I did also consider going tall at this pick but ideally you want to take them at a rookie level so that they don't take up the space on the main list whilst they develop.

# 44 Essendon - Ben Paton

Pick 44 Ben Paton 185cm 78kg Medium/Small Defender Murray Bushrangers/ Vic Country

Ben has a terrific year as a 19 year old at the Murray Bushrangers and for Vic Country which culminated in All Australian selection this year.
Paton is an attacking half back flanker/ back pocket who provides plenty of run and is a terrific kick of the footy on both his left and right side.
Ben is quick enough and has a pretty good endurance base. Like a lot of young defenders Paton needs to get the balance right between when to defend and when to attack however I think that comes with experience. He showed some good defensive instincts at the National carnival particularly when matched up on Rankine.

Nationals Stats
Game 1 19 disposals 66% kicking eff 8 handball receives 3 marks 30% contested possessions 4 tackles 1 rebound from 50
Game 2 15 disposals 100% kicking eff 10 handball receives 1 mark 8% contested possessions 1 tackle 4 rebounds from 50
Game 3 19 disposals 75% kicking eff 6 handball receives 6 marks (2 contested) 25% contested possessions 1 tackle 7 rebounds from 50
Game 4 22 disposals 85% kicking eff 10 handball receives 7 marks 15% contested possessions 2 tackles 4 rebounds from 50

Pick Rationale

Blokes who can use the footy very well from half back are worth their weight in gold and Ben does this well.
The club will lose Mark Baguley and James Kelly in the next couple of years and will look to move McGrath into the midfield thus there is a spot for a small defender. Paton also tests well with a 2.903 20m time and mid 13 beep. Paton turns 19 later in the year and is a solid citizen who should adapt well to an AFL environment.

# 45 West Coast - Bailey Banfield

This pick will cause some consternation on the Eagles Board, it already has.

Was passed over last draft and has blitzed in the WAFL this year, he is plug in ready to go . He is a big bodied hard working inside outside midfielder with an hunger for the contest. Clubs that passed on him as a late pick last year are now monitoring him closely.

Some of the Victorian 19 year old kids who are passed over in a previous years draft get to play TAC again the following year. In WA they get to try and crack it in the League side. Banfield has played all 14 WAFL League games for Claremont and its fair to say that his production has been high and he has successfully handled the step up playing against bigger more mature WAFL bodies. Although that should not be a total surprise as Banfield is a pretty solid unit himself.

What is impressive is his consistency in his 14 games here are his possession counts:
I would suggest that for a 19 year old in his first full season in the seniors thats a pretty good start.

The left footer is hard at the contest and while he can play both inside and out , his best work is done in tight close to the coal face. He is a good extractor of the ball and he has the uncanny knack of being able to get his arms free when he is tackled to get a hand pass away.
He himself is a solid tackler and in his 14 league games he has laid 77 tackles.

The reality is that if he had been on either the Dockers or Eagles list this season the fans would be calling for him to be playing AFL as the sheer weight of his production is eye catching. He has outplayed and out performed many of the young kids from the last three drafts that he has played against at Peel ( Dockers alignment Club ) East Perth ( Eagle alignment Club) lists. Thats a good measure of his talent.

Sure there are some kids in the draft that have more potential and a possible higher ceiling but with Banfield you at least already know what you will get, playing against men , not boys, as he is already doing so.

As I stated in my Bio on O'Brien I had a strong emphasis this draft on improving and bolstering the West Coast midfield. O'Brien is an outside mid and I wanted to get an inside mid as a priority to compliment that pick and having just missed out on Brayshaw and Lachlan Fogerty , I was keen to land a inside mid capable of playing ASAP.

Was tempted by two other midfielders.
Dylan Moore and Charles Ballard who are impressive young talents but are at least two years away from being rolled out in the Seniors.

So rather than getting enamoured with the concept of the new 18 year must be the "ducks nuts" , when in reality many draftees fail because their game just doesn't transition to the next level. I decided to take the more known option and therefore selected Banfield. Won't please all, but never the less I am happy with the pick and believe Banfield is ready to play AFL next season.

# 46 Sydney
Sydney Swans Tom North Eastern Ranges 185cm 84kg
Northe is an accumulator of the football and regularly gets high numbers. I see him suiting the game of the swans at the SCG with a combination of run but a good amount of contested ball. Not overly fast North would suit the game plan of the Swans and I can see him playing initially off the HBF. I'm very happy to see him in the mix at 46. Averaging almost 28 disposals a game I feel that he is very underrated.
K 14.4 HB13.2 Av27.7

# 47 St Kilda - Charlie Ballard

Charlie Ballard, Wingman/Utility, 195cm, 81kg, (SA, Sturt, Sacred Heart)

BIO - When watching Ballard you honestly wouldn't think he's 195cm. Moves extremely well, is clean with the footy and has tidy skills. After only playing school footy the past few years this is his first real crack at the SANFL system. Massive upside and could look back on this draft thinking how did he slip to there. Honestly think he may be a 2nd round pick come draft day.

RATIONALE - Easy replacement for Roo on that wing. Can play KPD if need be while also running hard 2 ways from the wing, sneaking forward just like Roo does currently in that team.

WHO ELSE? - Always had this pick earmarked for Ballard, if Paton slipped through he would have come into the discussion

# 48 Richmond - Dylan Moore

Inside Midfielder/Small Forward (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
04/08/1999 | 175cm | 66kg

Easy selection, I'd take him inside the second round.

Moore made the All-Australian team, averaging 23 disposals (11 contested), three clearances and three inside 50s. He has been a star for Caulfield Grammar with multiple 30+ disposal games and carried his school form into the Champs with Vic Metro.

Wins the contested ball on the inside and his ground ball numbers were some of the best in the whole of the Under 18 Championships. Can push forward and play as a small goalsneak - where he does possess good goal sense and has a decent jump for a small.

Very good endurance base, but surprisingly is one of a few players who are sub 180cm who don't possess elite speed. Looks reasonably quick during games and is agile at the contest.

Is a very smart player and just knows where to go to win the ball.

# 49 Melbourne - Jackson Edwards

# 50 Port Adelaide -Alex Martini

# 51 Geelong - Gryan Miers

Pick 51 - Geelong - Gryan Miers - Geelong Falcons
177cm 73kg 30/03/99

Miers has been the most dangerous forward in the TAC this year. He is quick of mind and a very clean player he generally makes the most of his opportunities and he works hard when the ball is in his area. Miers had a standout game against Metro where he won plenty of the ball at half forward while also kicking 2 goals and laying some great tackles. It was one of the most complete performances ive seen from a small forward this year. Miers has shown to be more of an outside player which has hurt his game in the midfield whenever he goes in there, he has the smarts and clean hands for it but its rare to see him get a contested possession. If a team is looking for a small forward that can attack and defend to a good level there isnt many better in this draft than Miers.

Reasons

Geelong need more forwards in general and going the local lad who could be a great addition to their future best 22 he could provide handy midfield relief aswell for players like Parfitt to swap forward. Every player ive taken has a mature body to handle senior football if picked and Miers could easily challenge for a spot in the seniors next year his size right now isnt a huge issue. Alot of draft watchers reckon he is a Dahlhaus clone and you cant have enough of those type of players.

# 52 Richmond (received from Greater Western Sydney) - Nathan Murphy

Medium Utility (Brighton Grammar/Sandringham Dragons)
15/12/1999 | 188cm | 84kg

Still a handful of players I rate in my top 40 that are available and what better time to take a little 'smokey' - one who I expect to be a bit higher on draft night if things pan out as they should.

Murphy is a Victorian representative cricketer (U19s) and has dominated in the APS Victorian school football competition.

Started in defence but moved forward after a concussion in Rd 3 and has kicked 17 goals in the last four games for Brighton. Plays as a third tall but is clean below ground level and is a reasonable overhead mark at either end. Has a huge upside and football only recently is a focus. Good endurance base & does have some good closing speed and was a late addition to the Sandy Dragons list this year, playing the last two games (was on their list last year as a bottom-ager). Has a long right foot kick - but one area of focus will be his goal kicking where he has had over 30 shots on goal in the APS season and converting at about 50%.

Murphy had 28 disposals, eight marks and six rebound 50s in a promising debut against Geelong Falcons playing as a medium defender & backed that up with a solid game against Gippsland Power with 22 disposals and six rebound 50s on the weekend.

Last edited:

# 53 Adelaide - Isaac Hewson

Pick 53 - Adelaide - Isaac Hewson 184cm 76kg Norwood
Another good solid young midfielder which further bolsters that depth the crows critically need. Hewson had a good champs without being a standout but that is the sort of player he is - a non fuss hard worker who generally puts in very consistent efforts week in week out. He's been playing good footy for Norwood reserves and especially Under 18, the latter a level he is far too good for. He's a good kick, and at times very good if he hits the ball right, that side of it can come and go. Can work inside or out and has a reasonably well developed body which will further grow into a strong midfielder body. Pace is ok but not great, hands very good in close and positioning is AFL like. Marking is sound to good. He's a smart man above the shoulders though and in pressure situations you can see him thinking, he doesn't appear to quite panic as much as many around him and he just knows what to do. I'd just like to see him up his clearance rate a little that's the only issue but otherwise he's pretty handy and a good solid footballer that I think will play a fair bit of AFL as a consummate midfielder, never standing out or starring/being flash but being ultra consistent. Also keen to see how good his defensive side is on a lockdown role, something I haven't noted of yet. I think he'd be pretty good at it.

ROUND FOUR

# 54 Collingwood (received from the Brisbane Lions) - Brent Daniels

# 54 Collingwood (received from the Brisbane Lions) - Brent Daniels (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 172cm, 70kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Projected draft range: second round onwards
Similar to: Dayne Zorko
July Ranking: 21
Rationale: Exceptionally talented small forward who hits the scoreboard and wins a high proportion of the ball in the contest.
Strengths:
Acceleration
Agility
Evasiveness
Natural forward talent
Knows what will happen before it happens
Keeps his feet
Clean kick to target
Vision
Decision making
Finishing around goal
Reads the ball in flight early
Aerial marking
One touch at ground level
Crumbs off packs
Contested ball winner
First possession winner at stoppages
Capable midfielder with scope at AFL level to rotate through there
Weaknesses:
Tackle numbers
Forward pressure
Work rate
Endurance

--

Why pick Daniels for Collingwood? Best available and someone I feel has the scope to develop in an AFL environment. Very talented forward with all the attributes and just needs to build up his endurance and give more consistent when the ball isn't in his hands.

Collingwood need more talent up forward, and guys with genuine pace who can offer scoreboard impact. Daniels ticks those boxes.

# 55 St Kilda (received from North Melbourne, via Western Bulldogs on-trade) -Ian Milera

St Kilda Pick 55 - Ian Milera, Small Forward, 171cm, 64kg (Glenelg SANFL - League)

BIO - Brother of former Saint Terry, Milera has taken over the role left my Willie Rioli in the Bays league team and has dominated after kicking 23 goals in 12 games so far this year. the 2016 SANFL u18 leading goal kicker could really draw comparison to Crows pair Eddie Betts (pure skills and goal sense) and Charlie Cameron (Speed and role). Super skilful player with great goal sense, speed and the ability to bring others into the game, the 19 YO deserves a chance after missing out on last years draft.

RATIONALE - Although Saints have Lonie, Wright, Mitchington as small forwards they don't quite have the quality and skills of this kid. Certainly a different type of forward to add a different dimension to their potent forward line.

WHO ELSE? - Liam Ryan from Subiaco

# 56 Carlton - Callum England

Callum England is a player that when you're selecting at this point in the draft, you just hope for a few AFL qualities.
England for me has a kick that lacks penetration at the moment and is average. He has a smallish body shape and it does not scream like he will develop into an inside midfielder. He seems very outside and would need to work on his inside ability to make it at AFL level.

Now what he does have is speed, endurance and just a knowledge of where to run and how to get open. He really stood out to me for his run from the contest and ability to find open space. (I did not check on his defensive running, but I don't think it was a massive highlight, even if I think WA had an insanely good defensive unit at the champs). Ainsworth on the other hand, seemed to run both ways often.

He was also making attacking runs from the midfield and pumping the ball inside 50. Missed a few running shots for goal, so I think he will need to work on his kicking while on the run. Maybe needs to steady a step or two before kicking on the run, just shanks a few kicks running at full pace.

# 57 Collingwood - Cassidy Parish

Collingwood don't need midfielders. That said, with no players who fills list pressing needs adequately or projects as future best 22 players. I'm looking at a best available selection and someone who should have been selected sooner. Parish leads the TAC Cup with averages of - 28 disposals per game, 14.6 contested possessions per game and 8.1 clearances per game.

# 58 Fremantle (received from Gold Coast) - Jack Hardman

Jack Hardman (173cm, 67kg from Swans/UNSW)

Since I took a GWS Academy player with my last pick, it's only fair that I take one from the Swans next. Hardman is only small, but he's a lively forward and always seems to be around the play. Has some really good speed, but doesn't mind the tougher stuff either. There's a bit of Hayden Ballantyne about him, has the same smarts around goal. What I like most is that he has a knack of standing up when his team needs him, twice in the Division 2 Championships he kicked quick goals to turn the match around. Doesn't need a lot of touches to have an impact. He's also the youngest player in the draft, a December 31 birthday. I know some people like that sort of thing.

He was pretty quiet at the Division 1 Champs for the Allies though. Played 3 games and kicked 2 goals, didn't get as much of a chance to run up the ground and didn't really have the true KPFs to crumb off of either. His size will also no doubt see him drop down the order. But as a small forward, I think he's as good as any in this draft.

# 59 Hawthorn - Brandon Starcevich

Brandon Starcevich - East Perth / 187cm / 88kg

HF who can rotate through mid who really impressed with a couple of his games at champs and a bit of WAFL vision have seen. He is a bull and whilst not a huge ball getter he has all the attributes to take his game to another level. Really like players that tend to elevate at Champs and I think he did. His attack on the footy is ferocious and he is very happy to take the physical pressure rather than offload before he gets it. His vision seems really good and seems to think his way through traffic really well. Agility, good burst of speed and generally uses it pretty well. Works defensively as well and think he can step up.

Reminds me a bit of Jordan De Goey at the same age but I think he has better skill.

# 60 Fremantle - Thomas Schmusch

#60 Fremantle - Thomas Schmusch (192cm, 81kg defender from Woodville West Torrens)
Not the biggest needs pick, but I think he's too good to still be on the board. Full write up later, but he can play forward or back. And down back can be both an offensive and defensive option. He offers lots of versatility.

# 61 North Melbourne (received from the Western Bulldogs) - Hugh Dixon

Pick 61 Writeup (North) Hugh Dixon - Tall key Forward (Maybe Back)
Pros:
(1) Proper KP size
(2)Good marking hands
(3) Quite agile for a big bloke
(4) footy smarts

Cons
(1) Looks a bit slow
(2) Not a great leap
(3) Looks to be carrying a bit too much weight

Reasons: There are definitely some nice aspects here to Dixon's game that have the potential to be AFL level though I think again I think you would be better off developing him at a rookie level. We need to see his athletic results; I worry a bit that the lack of speed thing could be a clincher - Eg. Freo had Ryan Murphy and now have to a lesser degree Matt Taberner who struggle to get out on a lead at AFL level but smashed it at the next level down because they are big and strong. One thing that Dixon does have over those types is a better turning circle and he seems quite agile. He also clearly has a footy brain and doesn't take long to execute by hand or footy. To this end in line with another comment someone made, I wonder if he be a good CHB.

# 62 Essendon - Jordan Butts

Pick 62 Essendon Jordan Butts 195cm 80 kg Key Position Murray Bushrangers
Jordan started the year playing really well mainly as a key position defender who was able to be shifted forward. I think his form has tailed off a bit.
Jordan is tall and an above average endurance athlete. He has a nice vertical leap and can carry the ball and run from the back half. As a forward he hits up at the ball okay but probably doesn't utilise his tank enough to work hard up the ground and then work back forward.
His kicking is a little mechanical but okay and I think his speed and agility will increase as he grows into his body.
The thing is Jordan was born on December 31st 1999 so he is very very bottom age and I reckon you need to take that into account and he has a heap of development in him. He needs to spend a couple of preseasons in the weight room but there are some things to like. Butts reminds me a little of Ben Reid at the same age and if he could turn out to be that sort of player you would be pretty pleased.
Jordan played three games in the Nationals and didn't set the world on fire. Jordan is the son of Gerard Butts who played a little bit at Carlton and was a very good country footballer.
National Stats
V Allies 16 disposals 40% kicking efficiency 8 marks 4 inside 50s 1 goal
V Metro 8 disposals 75% kicking efficiency 2 marks 2 inside 50s
V SA 12 disposals 60% kicking efficiency 5 marks 3 rebounds from 50

Pick Rationale

I had a couple of blokes who I would have been more than happy to pick here but Butts has a tonne of upside and could develop into a really good AFL footballer if everything clicks for him. Jordan is unlikely to make an impact in his first couple of years as he is so young but he is a speculative pick that could pay huge dividends. He is the right shape and size and has the athletic ability that AFL clubs are looking for.

# 63 West Coast - Tom De Koning

Pick # 63. West Coast.

Tom De Koning . 200cm 92 kg. KPF. Dandenong Stingrays / Vic Cty.

391491_1834ec2a4613662b78c910d1d125cf93.jpg

In a draft short of tall forwards the 200cm left footer is very raw but has shown glimpses of talent that is noteworthy ( namely a bag of 9 goals last year ) .
He is a pick that you are going to need to slot away for the future as he is four years away ..... Just in time for Kennedy to move on.
Still growing so the coordination won't be fully assessable till his height stabilises .
Has good hands and a nice kicking style and for his height he is good below his knees.
Patience is going to needed as he will take some time to develop into an AFL player as his wirey frame needs some bulk added to it.
While he can give a chop out in the ruck I see him primarily as a Key Forward. I see the potential for him to morph into a Ben Brown type player and just like Brown it will take time.
IMO very much worth taking a punt on Tom as I see low risk , high reward at pick # 63.

# 64 Sydney - Kane Farrell

Pick 64 Sydney Swans Kane Farrell - Bendigo Pioneers
180cm 72kg 12.5K 4.3HB AV 16.8

Farrell's development has not progressed this season playing for the Pioneers in the Tac Cup. Many pundits had him as a future top 10 choice 12 months ago and as recently as the start of this year he would have been in the top 20 of many draft forums. A beautiful left foot kick, Farrell who is also an AIS member needs to add more strings to his bow. His game is too predictable, thus seeing him labelled as a one trick pony. There is no doubt that he needs to learn how to win more of his own ball to have an impact at AFL level. Nevertheless, his game and long leg could help the Swans with some delivery into a potent forward half. Farrell could slip even further unless he strings some games together but I have him as a bargain at 64.

# 65 St Kilda - Jordan Harper

St Kilda Pick 65 - Jordan Harper, Midfielder, 181cm, 79kg (Canberra Demons NEAFL)

BIO - Harper is the best midfielder outside of the AFL system. Runs all day and uses the footy well. Very tidy footballer who has the speed to match it. Has that knack to find the footy and have it on a string, he deserves his chance in 2017 after attending the state combine in 2016 then missing out come draft time. if selected he will play a lot of AFL footy in 2018.

RATIONALE - Saints need to add to their midfield depth. Harper can play through the wings and as an on baller. With his running capacity and only being 23 years old, he could add great depth and thrive at the next level.

WHO ELSE - Another Canberra kid in Jack Powell or Ethan Floyd from Geelong

# 66 Richmond - Aiden Bonar

Pick 66 Richmond - Aiden Bonar

Balanced Midfielder/Medium Utility (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 190cm | 89kg

Don't think anyone here has mentioned him, but another player I'd have inside 50 draft wise.

Coming off two ACLs in 3 seasons he's played very little, but his vision at Haileybury College has been promising and no doubt clubs will be watching him closely when he plays his first game in about 12 months on Saturday for Dandenong Stingrays.

He's a big frame and tackles hard & has been working towards his debut for a long time with a lot of rehab. He looks like an 'animal' with his strong frame and watching him run around for Haileybury as their runner - you can see he's a been hitting the gym.

His teammates at Dandenong & Haileybury say he is one of the best players they've even played with or against -- and that's good enough for me at Pick 66.

# 67 Melbourne - Jonty Scharenberg

Pick 67 -
Melbourne Demons
Jonty Scharenberg. (Glenelg FC- SANFL) 185cm/82 kg. Defender/Midfielder

The bad luck story of the 2016 Draft Class. A top 10 prospect at the start of 2016 season, All Australian Selection at the 2016 u18 Championship, averaging 24 disposals and playing a handful of SANFL League games, wasn’t enough to get his name read out in November.

I have been following Jonty throughout this 2017 season and he hasn’t missed a beat. He has added around 3-5kg to his frame over the pre season and improved his aerobic running capacity (which was a knock). Averaging 20.4 disposals and 6.2 tackles a game.
A ball winning midfielder last year at U18 level, changed half back flanker and is relishing this roll with Glenelg FC this season, still getting some minutes through the midfield (85% HBF, 15% Mid). I can see him fitting into the Melbourne backline and also push onto the wing and even midfield, one day. He knows how to win the ball, tackles hard, uses the ball by hand fantastically and has again improved his kicking. Playing this season as a half back flanker, he has been running off and providing options and delivering the ball into the Glenelg forward line, looking ready to take that next step. Missing out in 2017 has changed Jonty and made him hungrier.

Im happy with this pick and I think that Melbourne will benefit greatly from having Jonty on their list for season 2018 and beyond.

# 68 Port Adelaide - Ethan Floyd

# 69 Geelong - Jackson Ross

Pick 69 - Geelong - Jackson Ross - Eastern Ranges
192cm 75kg 22/06/99

Massive steal here for Geelong this kid could be anything

Ross started his year for Eastern playing on the Wing, he played as a tall winger and would have huge kicking numbers although his kicking isnt amazing its still decent enough he wasn't considered a top 50 pick for me at this stage. Since the early rounds he played school football for Haileybury, I attended a game against Wesley and was surprised to see him named up forward. Not only did he look good forward he looked sensational in the wet conditions he kicked 4 goals in an impressive display that quickly had him rise up my draft board. His clean hands in the wet and agility to get around opponents was sensational. He looks like a forward to me and he recently played forward for Eastern kicking 5 goals from 23 touches. For Haileybury he kicked 20 goals from 7 games.

Reasons

This kids upside is enormous, he is such a great mover for his size and incredibly clean at ground level he would be an extremely hard match-up at AFL level for his height and athleticism. This kid was extremely stiff to miss out on Metro selection and id be shocked if he doesn't get picked this year, his upside is just too great and he could become a gem for Geelong who shouldn't let this kid go past here.

# 70 Greater Western Sydney - Trent Mynott

# 70 GWS - Trent Mynott / Eastern Ranges / 184cm / 70kg

Something about this kid quite like and to be fair there are still a few I would be happy with around here that have just shown some really good glimpses.

Averages 26 touches in his 3 TAC games and he is equally good inside and out. Its his work inside the contest that catches the eye. Huge contested ball winner and defensively works really hard. Lovely mover through traffic and has good foot skills. Came into champs and played a few different roles and thought he acquitted himself really well. Some of the things he did just screamed class. You just wonder what he could be when that body fills out to an AFL size. I'm pretty hopeful for him actually.

Must admit bit surprised still here so be interested in what others make of him.

# 71 Adelaide - Alex Aurrichio

Pick #71 - Adelaide - Alex Aurrichio 198cm 107kg South Adelaide

Some may wonder who the hell this is but I remember watching him one day in a ressies game and his sheer ruck dominance and physical competitiveness really caught my eye. He's an American who played a couple of years in the VFL (mostly ressies) before coming to South. Huge brute of a man in ripping condition, very strong one on one and will easily move other players around rag doll style in the ruck or marking contests. Can take a good contested mark and tackles very well for a big man. Dives in for repeated efforts and fights for the ball when it hits the ground. Kicking very awkward at times but still accurate and can hit the scoreboard. You can see he is still learning the game but I would say he is the best ruckman in the SANFL ressies atm along with maybe Sweet and possibly Miller. Has beaten both of those guys though when playing on them. Not blessed with huge pace or big endurance which will be the big thing holding him back but clearly a hard worker. He's 25 but has got plenty of improvement left and the crows are after a decent ruckman to come in, I reckon in an AFL environment he'd really take off and turn into a Mumford style ruck so no real risk throwing pick 71 his way. Should debut in SANFL soon hopefully.

ROUND FIVE

# 72 Brisbane Lions - Jack Payne

# 73 North Melbourne -Liam Ryan

Pick 73 Writeup (North) - Liam Ryan (Average-sized forward)
Pros:
(1) Good footskills
(2) Good leap and mark - pretty much takes WAFL mark of the round every round
(3) Good speed
(4) Consistently high median output (4 goals per game) at WAFL level

Cons
(1) Almost undraftable endurance
(2) Question-marks over desire (missed the state game - although not clear to me if it was injury).
(3) Tackling (on average 1.5 tackles a game in 2017)

Reasoning: Qualifying my choice, I saw Ryan for about 4 full games last and my reaction was the same as LemmingMaster; flashes in and out (linked to the endurance) but it was 10-30 seconds of brilliance to cap off Subiaco's dominance and the rest was the void. It was just not something that would work at AFL.

However, this year I have seen probably about the same number of games and felt that this was a different player. He has been more consistent and an even higher output in goals; watching the games this year he has been in the contest for much longer and he is more of an ever-present threat than flash in the pan. He has also got up the ground more this year and whilst his tackling needs some work, he has created things for others. In short he has improved - there are still ossues, but if you can show you can make some improvements in those areas you are week at and you have demonstrated ability to kick large numbers of goals and large potential with some of your traits (speed, leap) then it's worth a shot with a pick 71.

# 74 Carlton - PASS

# 75 Collingwood - Callan Wellings

# 75 Collingwood - Callan Wellings (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 181cm, 71kg
Recruited from: Greater Western Victoria Rebels
Projected draft range: Second round onwards
Similar to: Bernie Vince
July Ranking: 26
Rationale: Has featured in the beasts for Greater Western Victoria Rebels in all eight games he has played, demonstrating consistency as a ball winner while also using the ball efficiently.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Stoppage work
Clearances
Gets to the right spots at stoppages
Production
Tackling
Movement in traffic
Agile
Versatility
Skills
Clean at ground level
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Top-age
On the small side

--
Wellings as an overager this year has been in the bests a TAC Cup high 9 times from 9 games, including being named Greater Western Victoria Rebels' best in five of those nine matches.

Wellings displays the versatility to play midfield (inside or outside) or on a flank at either end. He has an complete game, displaying clean skills, strong contested ball winning ability and also has some pace to him.

Playing his last three matches in the VFL for North Ballarat he has improved with each game.

Why Wellings to Collingwood? Best available with his relative skills, pace and versatility making Wellings an ideal list fit.

# 76 Gold Coast - Tom McCartin

Last edited:
# 77 Hawthorn - Cooper Gaffney

# 78 Fremantle - Jordan Johnston

#78 Fremantle - Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg from GWV Rebels)

I'll do a proper write up later. Talented medium sized forward, didn't get a great run at the Championships but I have him inside my top 50 at the moment. Think he does a lot of things well. Good with his disposal, a strong overhead mark and effective around goals. There's midfield potential there too. Should go earlier than this in my opinion.

I apologise to Fremantle fans, but there's just no tall I'm particularly interested in. And those I do like are best played as defenders, or not quite KPP size. A few of the Allies guys were close - Langlands, Buechner, Highmore. Otherwise, Brad McCarthy was by far the highest player I had next.

# 79 Western Bulldogs - David Handley

#79 Western Bulldogs - David Handley (181cm forward from the Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Bio: goal kicking half forward who is a composed user, pressures and sets up scoring chains as well as kicking goals himself. He also is smart footballer and moves into dangerous spots regularly.

Why?: Dogs really lack forwards who kick goals and set them up. I think of Handley as a player who can take the spot of the aging Tory Dickson in the dogs set up.

# 80 Essendon - Aaron Darling

Pick 80 Essendon Aaron Darling 178cm 83kg small forward/ midfielder Dandenong Stingrays
Aaron has not played this year as he has required a knee reconstruction. Not really what the Bombers need but he suits the way the Bombers play and he is a very good footballer who is quite frankly better than a lot of blokes picked. (including some blokes I have selected)
Aaron has speed, power, aggression and good kicking skills especially around the goals.
This year was supposed to be the year he moved into the midfield to show he has the capacity to do that at the elite level.
I believe his rehabilitation is going pretty well and this pick is realistically a rookie selection which undersells Aaron's ability.
Aaron is an AIS squad member and has some tricks.
Pick Rationale
I was going to take Lloyd Meek or Jackson Hille at this selection but Darling is in my best 40 players so I feel I have to stay true to my rankings.
Meek has improved a hell of a lot this yearend shows a bit of promise and is a rookie chance while Hille has size and aggression and is one who would flourish in the AFL system and has an AFL type body.

# 81 West Coast - Christian Ameduri

Pick # 81. West Coast.

Christian Ameduri. 187cm 76kg. Midfield. East Perth / Noranda.

392188_8139122ffe16238b4527dd344391fb0f.jpg

Ameduri is a composed midfielder that can also play on a HFF , he is one of those players that don't have any standout features but at the same time neither does he have too many weaknesses. In many ways he is a very similar player and has the many of the same traits as Starcevich his East Perth team mate but moves a lot faster and freer that Starcevich.
He doesn't mind the contest and puts his head over the ball and will take the contact but still get the ball away cleanly.
He is a good mover and has as a big tank and runs games out.
Fierce, team orientated and a real competitor.
I thought he was one of WA's unsung heroes across the championships.
Frequently get on the score board.
He has a lot of traits to his game that I believe will transition well to AFL. He is one of the kids I think has a fair bit of development in him and think he is a good value pick up this late in the draft.

# 82 Sydney - Darby Henderson

Pick 82 Darby Henderson Bendigo Pioneers- Sydney Swans
176cm 72kg 14.2 14.2 28.4

I'm thinking Henderson is more a Rookie but the lack of depth in this draft allows me to slot him in here for the Swans. Averaging 28 disposals a game , I feel he was stiff not to play Nationals. I see him as a McGlynn type that I feel the Swans could use on the SCG to advantage.He would add depth to the midfield and be a player that would suit the Swans game style. Great with his hands in traffic and hard at the contest, Henderson needs to work on his kick. Can kick a goal but I feel that his best asset is to bring others into the game. A midfielder with a big engine I can see him improving in the AFL system

# 83 Western Bulldogs (received from St Kilda) - Riley D'arcy

# 84 Richmond - Joel Amartey

Pick 84 Richmond: Joel Amartey

Ruckman (Mentone Grammar/Sandringham Dragons)
02/09/1999 | 195cm | 85kg

Amartey is the only other ruckman I'd draft in the National Draft other than Sam Hayes.

He presents one of the biggest upsides in the 2017 draft pool, recently converting from high level basketball to pursue AFL (at least for the time being).

Amartey has an eye-catching leap which he shows off in the ruck contests and has improved dramatically across the year. Amartey has impressed at school level and for the Sandy Dragons -- and even was reasonable in the Vic Metro trial booting two goals.

Up forward he often has the tendency to run under the ball but this is something that I think he can easily work on with heavy coaching at the next level. He can find the ball around the ground and his marking is improving each week.

What made him standout on Saturday for the Sandy Dragons was his contested mark midway through the last quarter and he slotted the goal with ease. Moments like this screamed AFL talent and the potential Amartey has means he's well worth a 2 year contract on an AFL list and a 'steal' for me at Pick 84.

# 85 Melbourne - Cole Gerloff

Pick 85- Melbourne Demons FC:
Cole Gerloff- 184cm/83kg. South Australia/Norwood/PAC. Midfielder

When you say natural footballer, what springs to my mind is South Australia’s Cole Gerloff. A ball winning midfielder, with so much class and composure.
Cole is strong bodied midfielder, rarely tackled to ground (strong through his legs), clean at ground level, wins his own ball and one of the best handballers for his age I have seen in a long time, especially in traffic and the contest.
I have watched a lot of him at school level this year and to me he looks the most classiest, composed and easy watching midfielder in the school level comp, without doubt. 100% at school level Cole is SA’s best midfielder.
The knocks on him, is that he is a touch slow and not an efficient runner. Which is probably going to be his undoing to reach the next level. For mine he does move from contest to contest well but his pace, and running ability does let him down at times. There are also a few little efficient things he can work on but his running ability is his main fault.

Some stats to back me up
SANFL u18 level playing 4 games this season due to school football duties:
Cole is averaging 32 disposals, 6 tackles and 6 clearances a game.
SANFL Reserves Senior level (he has played in these school holidays) in his 3 games, he is averaging 15 touches, 5 tackles and 5 clearances a game.

I feel he was so very stiff not to get a game in the u18 Championship this year (doesn’t help SA had so many same type midfielders in the squad)
In a last ditch effort the weekend before the last team announcement of the champs... Cole racked up 44 disposals, 28 kicks, 6 tackles and 10 clearances = 174 rankings points, which was still not enough for sticks to pick him.
I feel if a club gets Cole this season you’re not only getting a very naturally gifted footballer but your getting a great young man with plenty of off field qualities and on fielder leadership skills. A real gem this guy.

# 86 Port Adelaide - Jack Powell

# 87 Geelong - Charlie Thompson

# 88 Greater Western Sydney - Mitchell Podhasjski

# 89 Adelaide - PASS

ROUND SIX

# 90 Carlton - Ben Miller

Carlton - Pick 90 - Ben Miller
Getting this far down in the drafting order, I am picking some rough prospects here. Miller beat CJC in the ruck the day I watched him, has some lovely hands when rucking and looks solid as a forward. He is obviously too short to be a first choice ruck at AFL level, but if he can develop his forward craft and pinch hit in the ruck, I could see him have an outside chance at making it at AFL level.

I did not mind his forward work at the champs, has some nice agility for his height. Just not sure about his athletic ability, so that will really determine if he can make it at the next level.

# 91 Hawthorn - Will Walker

# 91 Hawthorn - Will Walker / Sandringham Dragons / 187cm / 80kg

Bit surprised hasnt been called yet. Will has come from a soccer background and probably isnt front and square with a lot of us but he is one to watch out for as pretty confident he will go higher than this come draft day. Kid has had little exposure to talent pathways and hence came into the year with some open questions around what he could deliver. Year to date kid has done really well and has demonstrated there is something to work with. I think he is ultimately suited to playing on a flank or wing but has scope in a range of spots. Think he will test well as he looks to have good speed and agility and he has already started to develop a body that would get clubs pretty confident he will grow to the right sort of frame as he has added a fair bit of muscle in last 12 months. Aggressive at the footy and seems to thrive on a contest which his numbers support. Skills wise I would suggest he is above average and overhead he is strong. Is averaging high teen possessions but nearly half of them are contested and certainly has shown a willingness to tackle as well.

# 92 Port Adelaide - Haidan Scholoithe

Pick 92 - Port Adelaide - Haiden Scholoithe
Scrapping the barrel a little with these selections, but I think this form AFL listed player could get another go on a team. I really liked him in the draft year and for whatever reason never made it at AFL level.

# 93 Greater Western Sydney - Jye Bolton

Pick 93 - GWS - Jye Bolton / Claremont / 187cm / 85kg

Everything screams to me he is capable of making a significant difference at an AFL club. He has demonstrated that he can mix it at AFL already in his time at Collingwood. Now he has the maturity, he is fitter and a very strong body of work behind him. Fits the modern game, is a good ball user and is quicker than you think. When you look at what Menagola has done dont think hard to convince yourself Jye can do something similar.

Last edited:
I did prepare a write-up for my second preferred player and then realised Quigley's going first. Given he will probably pick a Tasmanian, I've prepared a backup write-up for my first! :p

On a more serious note (in case he doesn't get on tonight) I presume that's 9am EST?

Looking forward to reading this..

If I may make a suggestion would posters be able to edit bios in the original selection post?

Ie what often happens is a poster selects a player and mentions bio will come later (obviously when they have time)

Unfortunately trying to find the post with the corresponding bio to pick later in the mass of hundreds of posts can be needle in a haystack stuff. Editing them into the original post means we get to enjoy them all the more and not miss out

Cheers guys :)

Looking forward to reading this..

If I may make a suggestion would posters be able to edit bios in the original selection post?

Ie what often happens is a poster selects a player and mentions bio will come later (obviously when they have time)

Unfortunately trying to find the post with the corresponding bio to pick later in the mass of hundreds of posts can be needle in a haystack stuff. Editing them into the original post means we get to enjoy them all the more and not miss out

Cheers guys :)
That makes alot of sense that's what I'll do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't be online tomorrow. Have sent through my top 4 picks to Snoop Dog just in case my pick comes up some time tomorrow afternoon.

Cool no worries - pick four will probably come up soon after Quigley's as I'm ready and I have LMs pick 3 selection strategy also.

Pick 1 Brisbane - Davis-Uniacke

This is not who I thought I would be picking at the end of last year but you have to go with who has stood up and for me LDU is one who has certainly done that. He is a inside mid ball magnet who I think will fit well with the mids we picked last year I think. I would have liked the number one pick to have a bit more hurt factor than LDU has but you have to take what you are given sometimes and for me LDU suits what we need the best. I am not the biggest Rayner fan and am happy to leave him for those picking after me.

Pick 2 (North Melbourne) – Adam Cerra (Medium sized* midfielder)
Fors:
1. Fast and accurate handballs and often to high impact spots just as he is about to get caught, drawing opposition players and freeing up his own players.
2. Neat kick (high efficiency) with high impact into the forward 50 – often the man to deliver into the forward fifty and does this well.
3. Always on the move
4. High possession getter and doesn't look to have any endurance issues
5. True midfielder though looks to have the outside skills to play on a flank / wing as well.
6. Good mover through traffic.
7. Consistent – didn't have a down game through the championships.

8. Decent medium size.
Against:
Would guess he may only be average speed or doesn't go full tilt all the time.
Average midfield mark, nothing special here.
Good mover through packs but not a “explosive” type like a Fogarty that makes multiple side-steps or using strength to bash his way through.
Thoughts on selection: My understanding is that the Roos will be looking at this pick going to GWS for Josh Kelly, so I have half - picked in viewing that it would be a “replacement” for Kelly. I also tend where it is close (and I feel it is) towards “Best Available” (whatever that means) with early (Top 10) picks, and my view is that I am choosing this pick regardless of whether it was the team I support (Fremantle), North or the team that might end up with this pick (GWS) as much as I can.
I have had Rayner, Cerra and LDU as my standout top three for a month and nothing in the championships has changed that. Rayner obviously has the endurance question marks but I really like him too and think he would also be a reasonable fit for North, but Cerra has won out for me at this pick with higher disposal efficiency and overall consistency. I also feel he would compliment the North midfield (I don't think North have a midfielder like him); I think this is important as well. “Damaging” and also “Reliable” are the two adjacetives I wrote down next to Cerra's name.
At this stage Brander (As a forward), Stephenson and Fogarty are close behind this group, and I also like Lochie O'Brien as well as a top seven. I think the next three have higher ceilings but at this stage they haven't the level of consistent performances that the first three have and have lower “averages” at this stage, wider range and / or a much lower 95% bound.
*I am currently chairing a national group in writing a document on ethics and behaviours in an analytical area (forecasting), and one thing we have been strong on is imploring people not to suggest a level of precision that we cannot justify. Therefore, in that spirit, I am going to use the following intervals.
Small < 180cm
Average [180 : 185)
Medium [185 : 190)
Tall Medium [190 : 195)
Tall Key Position [195 : 200)
Ruck Tall >200cm

Pick 6 St Kilda: Charlie Constable 190cm, 80kg, Inside mid/Utility (Vic Metro/Sandringham)

BIO - I think we all knew the qualities that Constable has, but for him to demonstrate those at the highest level this year is a massive tick in my book. Averaged 26 touches over the carnival playing across HF/HB and as an inside mid. Not blessed with pace or strong endurance, Constable uses his football smarts to find the footy. Strong around congestion using his big frame to his advantage, Makes good decisions and is extremely versatile. I would go as far as saying he looked the most clean and composed player across the championships.

RATIONALE - Constable will be a superstar IMO, will start his career either across HF or HB while developing his body and endurance but will one day be an elite inside mid.

WHO ELSE? - Would have taken Stephenson if available, Brander would have been the next cab off the rank

Chris25

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back