List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't quite flow off the tongue like Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti does it. Where do you think Xerri will go in this years draft right now?

Top 40. Perhaps even late first round depending on the club. Big players who are over 200cm, can play very well forward and in the ruck as well as move like him are rare and worth a lot.

Tom De Koning
Sam Hayes
Hayden McLean
Callum Coleman-Jones
Tristan Xerri

Plenty of very tall players who would go top 50 or so at the moment who play fwd/ruck.

On another note I really to get to see some of Gryan Miers as a pressure small goal kicking forward. Feel like we aren't getting that manic pressure in the forward line we need.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-15/afl-academys-daviesuniacke-makes-his-mark

MIDFIELDER Luke Davies-Uniacke stamped himself as one of the leading ball-winners in this year's draft class in the NAB AFL Academy's 75-point loss to VFL side the Northern Blues.

Davies-Uniacke missed last week's game for the Academy through injury but returned in Saturday night's curtain raiser at Etihad Stadium to gather a team-high 22 disposals as well as six clearances.

At 188cm and 84kg, the Dandenong Stingray is a taller midfielder who uses his body well at the stoppages, which was evident against the more mature Blues in the 17.12 (114) to 6.3 (39) defeat.

Fellow midfielders Jack Higgins (20 disposals) and Lachie Fogarty (17, seven tackles) were also among the Academy's better players in the annual contest against VFL opposition.

Others to impress included Hunter Clark, who ran well out of the back half, and Cameron Rayner, who followed his best-afield effort last week with 11 disposals and an excellent running goal. Darcy Fogarty's marking shone at stages, while Paddy Dow was busy at the stoppages.

The Academy's squad of 34 players made for plenty of rotations throughout the contest, with most players not on the ground for more than three quarters.

Ahead of Carlton's clash with Gold Coast, Blues midfielder Sam Kerridge furthered his claims to win a place in the senior side with 37 disposals, nine clearances and a goal, while first-year midfielder Cam Polson had 30 touches.

They were two of 17 listed Carlton players to take the field, with forward Kristian Jaksch kicking three goals and the speedy David Cuningham picking up 24 disposals.

Rookie Andrew Gallucci kicked four majors and Harry McKay kicked two as he continues to string solid games together in search of an AFL debut.

NAB AFL ACADEMY 4.2 5.2 5.3 6.3 (39)
NORTHERN BLUES 4.1 9.6 16.11 17.12 (114)

GOALS
NAB AFL Academy: Rayner, Spargo, Brander, Jiath, Stephenson, McLean
Northern Blues: Gallucci 4, Jaksch 3, McKay 2, Glass-McCasker 2, Kerridge, Polson, Boekhorst, Smedts, Sheehan, Phillips

BEST
NAB AFL Academy
: Davies-Uniacke, L.Fogarty, Higgins, Rayner, Clark
Northern Blues: Kerridge, Polson, Cuningham, Smedts, Jaksch, Boekhorst

Scouting notes from the AFL Academy game on the weekend

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:
#2 Cameron Rayner – Started the game on fire with a great mark in defensive 50. Set the tone early and was easily one of the better players in the first half. Booted an outstanding goal off a few steps from 55m out at the northern end of Etihad Stadium. Also laid some hard tackles early.

#4 Jack Higgins – Another solid game from Higgins, but at times I did question did he “really want it?” A few tentative attempts at smoothering and one poor passage where he tapped it forward rather than collecting the ball. What he does do well is get to the right position to win the ball and take it forward, finishing with 20 disposals. Didn’t spend as much time forward as he did in the contest at the MCG, but his clearance work is his strength.

#6 Patrick Naish – Yet again in defence and this week he continued to show dash. Rebounded the ball well and was one of the few who worked hard both ways willing to defend. His snippets are strong and if he can put it all together it’ll be very promising day for the Richmond father son prospect.

#5 Lachlan Fogarty – Clean and polished are two great ways to describe Fogarty. His ball use was consist and he was good in the centre of the ground. Used his voice at times to get the team up and about when the Blues had a run on.

#8 Kane Farrell – Once again an impressive use of the ball across half back. A pinpoint left pass helps him find teammates ahead of him and he is definitely a player you want him to have the ball in his hands. Probably does need to win a bit more of his own football, but is a key player on the outside.

#16 Hunter Clark – One of the best games I’ve seen him play – but I still question whether his disposal is up to scratch. Had a busy second quarter and played between the arches working hard to win the ball, but at times lacked finesse.

#18 Luke Davies-Uniacke – Easily the best AFL Academy player for the day. Was consistent right throughout the day finishing with 22 disposals and six clearances. Played on the inside and was good at the stoppages, distributing the ball using his bigger frame. What was impressive was that he continued to follow up his disposals with great second efforts and often ended up with the ball in the next contest.

#19 Darcy Fogarty – Put simply: Fogarty is built for AFL and didn’t look out of place with the AFL listed players out on the ground. Had an outstanding run through traffic and weaved through four defenders to rebound the ball out of defensive 50. Tackled hard while flipping between forward and back – but was mostly in defence. Took a great mark over the top of a pack from a few players deep in the second quarter.

#31 Paddy Dow – Started the first half at most centre bounces. Hasn’t been talked about a lot in recent weeks but was an impressive showing. Hit up Jaidyn Stephenson early with a great kick inside 50, as well as having another good inside 50 on the run. Thought he was very clean with disposal and ran hard both ways.

#32 Sam Taylor – In what was a disappointing day for the AFL Academy defenders, Taylor was a shining light. Made one really good spoil in the opening quarter and worked hard one-on-one despite being tasked with some bigger Blues opponents. Hopefully one that can nullify the tall timber up forward in the Under 18 Championships.

I was told that he gets better as other players tire but not so good early. Shows a real willingness to take the game on but can burn teammates who lead too early (really the teammates fault but can cause frustration).

The kid had played half a dozen games of footy. Will be a bolter

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

#16 Hunter Clark – One of the best games I’ve seen him play – but I still question whether his disposal is up to scratch. Had a busy second quarter and played between the arches working hard to win the ball, but at times lacked finesse.

Second report I've seen that suggests Clark's disposal isn't great. Thought that was one of his main attributes? Ive read an article that mentioned he can kick very well on both sides. But I haven't seen enough of him to comment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mykelti Lefau 2017 National Combine results:
20m Sprint: 2.91 seconds

Agility test: 8.03

Standing Vertical Leap: 79cm

Running Vertical Leap: 100cm

Beep Test: 14.10

JAMES_B_101 your boy Wooller kicking goals again this round.
Best on ground honors to go with another 4 goals, put him on ice. Hopefully has a good run at it in the champs.
Mykelti Lefau 2017 National Combine results:
20m Sprint: 2.91 seconds

Agility test: 8.03

Standing Vertical Leap: 79cm

Running Vertical Leap: 100cm

Beep Test: 14.10

Reminds me a little bit of Nakia Cockatoo with the way he moves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3020-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=54779861

The GWV Rebels left Calder as the TAC Cup’s sole winless club after notching their first victory of 2017 by 80 points against the Cannons in Round 4.

In a battle of the only two teams still with 0-3 win-loss records at Rams Arena on Sunday, the ninth-placed Rebels powered away from a particularly inaccurate Calder outfit that could only manage a score of 5.21 (51). Even up until three-quarter time, the Cannons had more scoring shots than GWV but trailed by 38 points.

The Rebels finished strongly with nine final-term goals, led by captain Callan Wellings (26 disposals and eight clearances) and Thomas Berry (24 disposals and eight inside-50s).

Earlier in the double-header at Rams Arena, theMurray Bushrangers (3rd, 3-1) accounted for the Northern Knights (5th, 2-2) by 26 points. The Knights started well to hold an eight-point lead at quarter time but Murray’s seven-goal-to-two second term was the game’s defining period, setting up a 21-point advantage at the main break.

Bushrangers skipper Harrison Jones was influential with 20 disposals and two goals, while Angus Hicks won a clear game-high 35 disposals.

The Oakleigh Chargers (4th) brought up their third win of the season by 34 points against theBendigo Pioneers (11th, 1-3) in sloppy conditions at Queen Elizabeth Oval on Friday night.

Oakleigh’s conversion in front of goal was a key factor in the result, having only four more total scoring shots but managing to extend its lead at every change. Key forward and Chargers captain Toby Wooller formed an effective double act with bottom-age small forward Daniel Scala (four goals each) to sink the home team.

On Saturday at Frankston Oval, theSandringham Dragons (2nd) continued their undefeated start to the season in overcoming the Dandenong Stingrays (7th, 2-2) by 21 points.

The Dragons trailed by five points at the long break but kicked eight goals to three in the second half to run away to victory. Aaron Trusler produced his second straight four-goal performance for the winners, while 2016 TAC Cup premiership captain Hamish Brayshaw (28 disposals and seven clearances) and Lucas Barrett (25 and seven) started it all in the middle.

The Geelong Falcons stayed ahead of Sandringham at the top of the ladder with their fourth win on Saturday, having more than three times the scoring shots (32 to 10) than theEastern Ranges (10th, 1-3) in a 52-point triumph at Bayswater Oval on Saturday.

Lively small forwards David Handley (four goals) and Gryan Miers (three) once again did the damage inside 50, with Bayley Cockerill joining James Worpel and Cassidy Parish in running riot through the midfield.

Meanwhile, the Western Jets (6th, 2-2) snatched victory from the Gippsland Power(8th, 1-3) in the dying moments of Saturday’s game at Burbank Oval.

The Jets rallied from 21 points down at the last change with four unanswered final-term goals – two to Connor Thar and the go-ahead major to Jack Noonan 23 minutes in – to pip the Power by four points.

Shame Stephenson hasn't really impact TAC, thought a couple years back he would become this cam mccarthy type player
I am always fearful of the guys that don't win a lot of contested footy and don't have elite endurance/kicking. I am not completely cold on Stephenson but I'd like to see him show another side of his game because if it were me I wouldn't be picking him first round at this stage. Cam McCarthy himself I am still quite skeptical. Over the course of a 23 round season, will that type of player improve you overall? The difference between he and a Darcy Fogarty is massive in my opinion. Tom De Koning is another that I have large doubts over. I have been following him this season and as of yet he has done very little to impact games.

Cassidy Parish is going alright at the moment.

Good to see Tom North back for Eastern. Kid can seriously play.

Interesting to see what happens with Cerra this year has barely played since he played as a 16yo in the 2015 GF.

Last edited:
Cassidy Parish is going alright at the moment.

Good to see Tom North back for Eastern. Kid can seriously play.

Interesting to see what happens with Cerra this year has barely played since he played as a 16yo in the 2015 GF.
I reckon Cerra's a sneaky top 5 chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back