41. Corey Wagner
42. Declan Mountford
43. Sam Gibson
44. Cameron Zurhaar*
45. Oscar Junker*
46. Matthew Taylor*
50. Ben Brown

*Rookie listed players

North Melbourne has finalised its list for 2017 and also the numbers its newest recruits will wear next season.

Defender Marley Williams will wear number 2, Nathan Hrovat will front up in the number 8 and former Giant Paul Ahern takes over the number 15, most recently worn by Nick Dal Santo.

The club’s draftees have also received their numbers for 2017, with first round pick Jy Simpkin to wear 21, Declan Watson 35, Josh Williams 36 and Nick Larkey to take over Turner’s locker, wearing number 40.

The trio drafted in Monday’s Rookie Draft, Cameron Zurhaar, Oscar Junker and Matthew Taylor, have secured numbers 44, 45 and 46 respectively.

As previously reported, Luke McDonald takes over the number 11 after wearing 21 in the early stages of his career.

Kayne Turner will also make a move, from number 40 to 28.

Meanwhile, the number 20, made famous by Drew Petrie and Wayne Schimmelbusch, will remain vacant in 2017.

North Melbourne has finalised its list for 2017 and also the numbers its newest recruits will wear next season.

Defender Marley Williams will wear number 2, Nathan Hrovat will front up in the number 8 and former Giant Paul Ahern takes over the number 15, most recently worn by Nick Dal Santo.

The club’s draftees have also received their numbers for 2017, with first round pick Jy Simpkin to wear 21, Declan Watson 35, Josh Williams 36 and Nick Larkey to take over Turner’s locker, wearing number 40.

The trio drafted in Monday’s Rookie Draft, Cameron Zurhaar, Oscar Junker and Matthew Taylor, have secured numbers 44, 45 and 46 respectively.

As previously reported, Luke McDonald takes over the number 11 after wearing 21 in the early stages of his career.

Kayne Turner will also make a move, from number 40 to 28.

Meanwhile, the number 20, made famous by Drew Petrie and Wayne Schimmelbusch, will remain vacant in 2017.
I only just got the Tweet. Goddamn.

Very disappointing to see Josh Williams in 36, not 1. :(

Still, he gets to carry on the proud tradition created by Shannon Watt.

I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers unless it's for a Peter Crimmins/Darren Millane sort of situation. Give it to a kid, get him to learn the history of the number and ask him to make his own history in it.

Aside from the fact that Peter Crimmins' number was not retired permanently (as I'm sure you know), it seems ludicrous to suggest that numbers are not retired for records games played or goals kicked or premierships won, but for getting so shitfaced that you smash a car into the back of a truck and kill yourself in the process. That's the only reason to memorialise a football player? Seems like odd priorities.

WTF is going on with number 1? Does nobody want it?
Was announced as something surprising/good by the club, but nothing came of it. I was convinced it was being held for JOM. Speculated that it was going to be for fans/members, because we're No. 1. I think Hawks did/do this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne’s 2017 playing squad
2. Marley Williams
3. Jed Anderson
4. Shaun Higgins
5. Ben Jacobs
6. Lachlan Hansen
7. Jack Ziebell
8. Nathan Hrovat
9. Andrew Swallow
10. Ben Cunnington
11. Luke McDonald
12. Lindsay Thomas
13. Ryan Clarke
14. Trent Dumont
15. Paul Ahern
16. Scott Thompson
17. Aaron Mullett
18. Shaun Atley
19. Sam Wright
21. Jy Simpkin
22. Told Goldstein
23. Ben McKay
24. Sam Durdin
25. Robbie Tarrant
26. Daniel Nielson
27. Taylor Garner
28. Kayne Turner
30. Jarrad Waite
31. Braydon Preuss
32. Mason Wood
33. Ed Vickers-Willis
34. Jamie Macmillan
35. Declan Watson
36. Josh Williams
37. Will Fordham*
38. Majak Daw
39. Mitch Hibberd
40. Nick Larkey
41. Corey Wagner
42. Declan Mountford
43. Sam Gibson
44. Cameron Zurhaar*
45. Oscar Junker*
46. Matthew Taylor*
50. Ben Brown

*Rookie listed players

At some stage some brave soul needs to grab the No.1 by the scruff of the neck and make it their own.
I've got a really positive feeling about this squad.

Was announced as something surprising/good by the club, but nothing came of it.

It was presented to a supporter facing some challenges via a similar thing to the "Make a Wish" crew from memory. I thought it'd be reassigned to a player this year though. Not to be it appears.

I don't really like it either. Nothing exciting apart from Kayne into 28 which was a nice touch. Think something like Ahern 8 Williams 21 Simpkin 2 and Hrovat 15 would have been more symbolic of the players they are replacing and jumper history.
Yeah, plus shoving the rookies into lockers like #45 and #46 when others are available isn't that great.

No Bull BoomerBrownlow_29 Can we finally get an explanation (12 months later) as to why #1 isn't being used? :p

It was used for the young supporter who was officially signed for a day. They posted a story on it at the time.

As for 2017, good question...........

Back