9. Jack Trengove - 1 (1.8%)
9. Angus Brayshaw - 1 (1.8%)
9. Billy Stretch - 1 (1.8%)
9. Colin Garland - 1 (1.8%)
9. Tomas Bugg - 1 (1.8%)
9. Josh Wagner - 1 (1.8%)
9. James Harmes - 1 (1.8%)
9. Joel Smith - 1 (1.8%)

I've taken the liberty of positioning those six on the field (I personally like TMac third man up, but am fairly indifferent on the placement of the three KPDs, so happy with feedback), leaving us with:

FB || Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB || Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C || Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF || Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
FF || Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

R || Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT || Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

E || Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

In this poll, we're selecting our best unit of six forwards, so:
  • 2 forward pockets
  • 1 full forward
  • 2 half forward flankers
  • 1 centre half forward
Assume all players are fully fit. Enjoy! :footy:

Petracca, Hogan, Kent
Watts, Weideman, Garlett

Wouldn't complain at all if Pederson is preferred over Weideman. Wouldn't be a bad thing if we have Weideman in the reserves at the start of the year. Think it will come down to their form in the JLT series to determine whether Pederson or Weideman is preferred.

Last edited:
I'm somehow unhappy.

Can you just assume that I have definitely got three Kents on the bench.

I genuinely believe that the Weed has overtaken Pedo and that this will be apparent to all quite soon.

Edit: it seems I did select Kent. I'm going mad. Okay I want 3 vdBs on the bench instead.

This is still wrong. I'm going to stare moodily at the list for a bit.

It looks like our forward 6 has already been decided. Thought the spread of votes between Weideman and Pederson would be more even but can understand why Pederson is ahead due to his output. Will be interesting to see a slimmer Pederson in action this year and also whether Weideman can cement himself in our lineup when he gets his chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan watts petracca Kent pick themselves

Garlett at his best get selected each week but his form last year was patchy and with Kennedy bugg and jkh as depth

Weideman and Pederson, it's really hard to select one over the other. I think the coaches will mix and match these two over the year. Weideman has more talent but don't think can stand up to a full season as yet. Pederson gives his all when he plays and provides a contest, he didn't do much wrong in the games he played.

Then other times we may go more mobile with Vanders as the third tall.

If we want to have the best chance of beating St.Kilda Pedersen needs to play
Maybe now he's lost 10kg. At Etihad in past seasons he has resembled a witches hat as the ball ping pinged around. I think he may have been front of mind (and Chrish Dawesh) when Roos spoke about picking sides that suited Etihads fast deck. I'd almost drop him for Hannan at Etihad and play a more mobile outfit. Having said that I've seen only highlights of Hannan and he hasn't played a senior AFL game. In other words this could be complete BS ;-)

Maybe now he's lost 10kg. At Etihad in past seasons he has resembled a witches hat as the ball ping pinged around. I think he may have been front of mind (and Chrish Dawesh) when Roos spoke about picking sides that suited Etihads fast deck. I'd almost drop him for Hannan at Etihad and play a more mobile outfit. Having said that I've seen only highlights of Hannan and he hasn't played a senior AFL game. In other words this could be complete BS ;-)
Understand this but it's likely we go AVB for his tackling and F50 pressure R1. Wouldn't mind seeing Hannah McKenna or Smith tho

The bench is going to be very very interesting.
Brayshaw and Salem are locks, surely. That leaves two spots.

Stretch seems an obvious choice to me. It's that last bench spot that will be most interesting. Realistically I think it's the Melkman's, but that doesn't mean he'll be the popular choice.

Brayshaw and Salem are locks, surely. That leaves two spots.

Stretch seems an obvious choice to me. It's that last bench spot that will be most interesting. Realistically I think it's the Melkman's, but that doesn't mean he'll be the popular choice.
Bernie isn't in the side yet. Neither is Harmes, Bugg, BenKen or Vanders.

Oh man, didn't even realise Bernie wasn't in the side yet. Interesting indeed. Some may opt for the versatility Vanders provides as a forward option.
To be honest it's reflective of his current spot. He's been passed on the inside by Tyson and Viney (and realistically by Oliver as well). Half-back isn't his go as he doesn't have the defensive capabilities of Hunt or Hibberd.

The reality is that we try to have six to ten players capable of rotating through the half-back and wing spots. You have 3 KPDs (McDs and Frost), 2 KPFs (Hogan and Pedo/Weid), ruck and the inside bullock of Jones/Tyson/Viney/Oliver who you would all say are definitely NOT in a halfback/wing role at any point. Beyond that I feel that literally every player is rotated through that role, as so much of the gameplan depends on continued fresh legs off half-back and wing. We saw Jeffy launch a few times from back there, Kent too, Nev taking guys on (look at late in the Hawthorn game for this). Most of them have either the legs or the kicking to do damage on the outside and some (Jeffy, Kent on his left and Hunt) have both. That's what Goody will be looking for through the season IMO.

Bernie's definitely a part of that rotation, he's one of our best kicks.

To be honest it's reflective of his current spot. He's been passed on the inside by Tyson and Viney (and realistically by Oliver as well). Half-back isn't his go as he doesn't have the defensive capabilities of Hunt or Hibberd.

The reality is that we try to have six to ten players capable of rotating through the half-back and wing spots. You have 3 KPDs (McDs and Frost), 2 KPFs (Hogan and Pedo/Weid), ruck and the inside bullock of Jones/Tyson/Viney/Oliver who you would all say are definitely NOT in a halfback/wing role at any point. Beyond that I feel that literally every player is rotated through that role, as so much of the gameplan depends on continued fresh legs off half-back and wing. We saw Jeffy launch a few times from back there, Kent too, Nev taking guys on (look at late in the Hawthorn game for this). Most of them have either the legs or the kicking to do damage on the outside and some (Jeffy, Kent on his left and Hunt) have both. That's what Goody will be looking for through the season IMO.

Bernie's definitely a part of that rotation, he's one of our best kicks.
Yep, the starting midfield selected is stocked with inside players. When you're primarily turning to Lewis for outside run, something is amiss. The bench needs to compensate for that with players of the type you describe.

I disagree re Oliver's current standing in the side. His talent and ceiling is undeniable, but he is still a preseason or two away from being as high up the pecking order as some suggest. It's worth remembering how recently Vince has dominated games playing out of the centre.

Yeah true I ment if one or the other was being selected, even still Pedo puts on more defensive pressure than Weid atm although the AVB as the second forward suggestion is not the worst against the saints

Back