2017 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think we sometimes forget that before the Hanleys came here, they were both very good footballers. The ball is a different shape, and some rules are different, but they had form, playing a similar sport at home. Now that he is on 2 legs, there's no reason we can't expect good things from Cian.

There were a few moments where Cian showed 'something' in that game.
My abiding take on what we are seeing from Cian is "I wish he had one rookie year left".

He was always a project and we are seeing glimpses of what could be enormous upside, it's just a pity the first two years of The project were lost.

He is tending to hang off the packs a little but has shown an ability to drop pop up with an incisive possession.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My abiding take on what we are seeing from Cian is "I wish he had one rookie year left".

He was always a project and we are seeing glimpses of what could be enormous upside, it's just a pity the first two years of The project were lost.

He is tending to hang off the packs a little but has shown an ability to drop pop up with an incisive possession.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is there any clause or anything where the club can submit an application to extend his rookie tenure as a result of the first 2 yrs being wiped out. Especially when he is an international rookie. And expected to take longer.

Is there any clause or anything where the club can submit an application to extend his rookie tenure as a result of the first 2 yrs being wiped out. Especially when he is an international rookie. And expected to take longer.
You would like to think the club is pursuing that option as a priority. Would be amazed if they have not started the conversation.

Ciaran Sheehan at Carlton got an extra year on the rookie list (this year being his fourth) after I think Carlton made a case to the AFL, as he had missed about 18 months with various injuries. I'm not sure if he is still classed as a Cat B rookie or had to be moved onto the main rookie list. I'd imagine that the precedent is now in place and there would be no issue extending Cian on this basis.

Great to see him getting a run of games under his belt :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if Hanley enters the draft (and no one else takes him in the national or preseason draft) we should be able to redraft him as a rookie. If the rules prohibit that, then they're nonsensical.

Brisbane v Southport

10: Rohan Bewick (Brisbane)
7: Josh Schache (Brisbane)
6: Tom Bell (Brisbane)
3: Josh Walker (Brisbane)
3: Alex Witherden (Brisbane)
1: Jordan Keras (Southport)

Lol at the one vote for a Southport player in a 150 point loss.

I can only assume that without him it would've been a real thrashing.

Just finished watching the 1st half. Thought Bell was a lot stronger around the ball than he has been for a while. Wonder if he has been carrying an injury for a while that is slowly coming good.
Been playing with that level of robustness for three weeks now. I know he's never going to be Simon Black or Josh Drummond with the footy, but bring that pack splitting and gut running to senior footy and it would definitely add to a young and skinny team.

Edit: is 'gut running' too much of a new-fangled term for me to be using?

Watched the game. Bell great at crashing packs, would make a good enforcer, but there are too many better users of the ball.

Been playing with that level of robustness for three weeks now. I know he's never going to be Simon Black or Josh Drummond with the footy, but bring that pack splitting and gut running to senior footy and it would definitely add to a young and skinny team.

Seem to remember it more as an old term

First time I remember hearing it was about the West Coast midfield back in 2005 (Judd, Cousins, Braun etc).

So it's just about dated and unfashionable enough for you now Rip ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back