List Mgmt. 2017 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim mohr won't get a spot on any other teams list. Corr would be offered a spot.

I'm personally a bit surprised about how long we have retained him for. I guess he is cheap
Well he did play last year, so clearly we needed him then. There were a lot of injuries I get. I'm not so sure he wouldn't find a spot on a list.
My point was Corr doesn't look like someone that has to go to me. I would have thought we'd be keen to keep him. He may choose to go if there's no spot, but I'm not so sure there isn't and at worst we need depth.

Well he did play last year, so clearly we needed him then. There were a lot of injuries I get. I'm not so sure he wouldn't find a spot on a list.
My point was Corr doesn't look like someone that has to go to me. I would have thought we'd be keen to keep him. He may choose to go if there's no spot, but I'm not so sure there isn't and at worst we need depth.
I'm not suggesting we shop him around. It was more that if corr doesn't get regular games at this stage of his career then he will likely shop himself.

I'm not suggesting we shop him around. It was more that if corr doesn't get regular games at this stage of his career then he will likely shop himself.
Fair enough,
I dont know how the year will go re selections. I do get Himmelburg he looked like one out of the box to me in the games he played. I like Corr as a stopper who can run off his man, and agreed, approaching the age where he needs to be an established best 22 player.

Did anyone else read that Davis tweet as a subtle poke at some unsigned Giants? Maybe hinting how terrible the media speculation COULD have been for tommo might be his way of getting some more names tied down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's rumours about Kelly, Patton & Shiel all re-signing but nothing more.

And Williams & Tomlinson who actually do without any of the "pre-announcement" rumour leak.

I'm happy with the ink I've seen, but I want to see a little more ink before I really get happy.

The General was never in doubt for me
Why thank you.

Oh you mean the other General...

74c4b380098b5719a8b6500a2a55b9db.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hopper is the other first team player who hasn't had any positive whispers, and some negative BF posting.

Coming into this season I thought GWS list management was in good shape. With most contracts now around the 2 to 3 year mark, having between a third and a half of the main list out of contract each year is normal - GWS had 16 of the 38 coming up (as known then). Evenly split between first and second teams (as I divided them in my own view), and also reasonably split between the various roles (KPF, KPD, mids, small forwards etc).

Of the first team Johnson is the known retirement, so thus far 2 re-signings, 3 positive stories, and 2 no stories is a good start. For mine, Patton's re-signing is very important as we are short of quality forwards, and he provides an important contrast in role and capability to Jezza and Lobb that makes the team better balanced. Of the mids, need to keep 2 of the 3 off contract in Shiel, Kelly & Hopper. While each is important in their own right (Shiel - don't want to lose an inaugural player and really good runner after losing Treloar 2 years ago; Kelly - about to explode IMV; Hopper - needs to stay for 'local content') I would have to accept that salary cap may cause one to go. While I want Hopper to stay as vindication of academies, if he goes because we keep Shiel & Kelly I will still sleep at night. I'd be really sad if Dev Smith goes, and would think that his friendship with Jezza is important, but again salary cap may cause departure.

I'm certainly not giving up on them yet, but if they did go, then there are other players who can cover for them and we would get a decent trade value for each (exactly what opposition BF posters hate!). Stevie J's retirement plus if Smith & Hopper were to depart leaves Matt Kennedy, Taranto & Setterfield with clearer paths to first grade, which wouldn't be a bad thing for their retention. As much as I would hate losing Dev, recycling some of the original - and therefore older - players actually benefits the list management long term. We really don't want a raft of players such as Jezza, Dev, Greene, Tommo etc all coming to the end of their careers in a 2 to 3 year period together. So a gradual leakage of some of them while still providing a decent return is actually good business sense (though poor for emotional attachment).

As others have said, then, the issue will be how many of the guys in second grade will stay on if they don't see a path to first grade. GWS need to keep some guys to allow appropriate development as cover for injuries/suspensions during the year, and as cover in future if first graders do take more lucrative offers. So it's a massive balancing and juggling act. Of the second team players, we now know Flynn has re-signed, and he certainly has a future path being groomed to replace Mummy. If we keep Smith & Hopper, then I can see Matty Kennedy moving on; if one of them go then it's line ball; if they both go then Matt probably stays. I'd like to think Buntine & Adam Kennedy stay as guys just on the fringe of first grade who have had a fair amount of time, and often displaced only through injury (but then having trouble getting back in). Finlayson & Himmelberg the questions for me - really want to keep them as GWS is lacking quality tall depth and as local content, but I can see other clubs throwing money at them - though not sure they will necessarily get a better run at first grade elsewhere. The club needs to sit down and discuss their role and future really constructively this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back