Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply do not understand why we would trade our 2018 first in 2017 if Ben Silvagni were to be a top 10 in 2018. Understand he will not have any exposed TAC Cup form until 2018.

I may be wrong but the thinking is that we would nominate him and thus get the 20% discount.
Using a first round draft pick on Ben would not be to our advantage. When we could simply use a 2nd + 3rd round to get him.
Thus trading it out gains us an advantage because we can use it to gain another first rnd pick in 2017.

If Ben Silvagni is a Top 5 pick in 2018, and we've traded out our future 1st round pick in this year's trade period - I wonder if the Club would just pass on another club's bid on Ben and save our draft points.

Surely we'd back ourselves to get him across to CFC in 1-2 years, given his ridiculous affiliation with the club.

Bold tactic o_O

Ben will "do a shoulder" early in 2018 and not be seen for the rest of the year......

2nd round pick maybe??

I may be wrong but the thinking is that we would nominate him and thus get the 20% discount.
Using a first round draft pick on Ben would not be to our advantage. When we could simply use a 2nd + 3rd round to get him.
Thus trading it out gains us an advantage because we can use it to gain another first rnd pick in 2017.

Exactly. That said, we're in a unique position with our list manager being able to keep a close eye on his progress. If we can't get this one right there is no hope for us

True, not much made of it, but apparently like you, read on GWS board, snippet from a local paper. Apparently caused
symptoms not unlike chronic fatique to come and go without notice. Apparently successful operation to remedy.
If this has been holding him back, kid is going to be very good.

Bidding a first-rounder would seem a little overzealous unless the kid is rated in the media and everywhere else as a certain Top 10 pick.

We should we just stay "shtoom" until such time as another club bids on him. Subject to the strengths & weaknesses of the draft, we may get him for that second or third rounder or possibly later.

I reckon most clubs will not go near him at all given he is SOS's son, Dodoro is the only worry as he would think it a great joke to bid on him like he did for Jack.

Bidding a first-rounder would seem a little overzealous unless the kid is rated in the media and everywhere else as a certain Top 10 pick.

We should we just stay "shtoom" until such time as another club bids on him. Subject to the strengths & weaknesses of the draft, we may get him for that second or third rounder or possibly later.

I reckon most clubs will not go near him at all given he is SOS's son, Dodoro is the only worry as he would think it a great joke to bid on him like he did for Jack.
Dodoro is a moron. Hope his stupidity comes back to bite him and his club in the arse. Rank amateur.

We will have to wait to the end of this season and see how he has come on but with the way Jack has transitioned into the AFL, (when obviously nobody rated him too highly from other clubs) I think there is no chance of Ben sliding when clubs know we will match any bid.

We will have to wait to the end of this season and see how he has come on but with the way Jack has transitioned into the AFL, (when obviously nobody rated him too highly from other clubs) I think there is no chance of Ben sliding when clubs know we will match any bid.

Yep, can't knock that theory.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, have read in 2-3 spots this week, I think all from the club, that the drafting brief last year was pace and quality kicking, so that is where our first 2 picks SPS and Fisher come from.

All makes sense. We lack that and that is where the game seems to be heading.

Quick ball movement, and precise at that, to counter the ultra defensive tactics that have thrived in the AFL in the past decade or so. Smedts arguably a similar trade in, and Pickett certainly so, and Marchbank from what I can gather a tall version of that brief.

Interesting, have read in 2-3 spots this week, I think all from the club, that the drafting brief last year was pace and quality kicking, so that is where our first 2 picks SPS and Fisher come from.

Quick ball movement, and precise at that, to counter the ultra defensive tactics that have thrived in the AFL in the past decade or so. Smedts arguably a similar trade in, and Pickett certainly so, and Marchbank from what I can gather a tall version of that brief.
I agree, from the little I have seen, Polson, Williamson, and Lebois also seem to fit the brief.

It's a new era at the Blues. I can't wait to see what this group of young players can bring to the team.

Williamson, top few at combine in running and kicking tests.

I hadn't thought of that when we traded him in but all the noise seems to be he'll play as permanent run-and-carry midfielder, which was where he excelled as a junior and showed really glimpses (along with up forward) at Geelong.

I'm very keen to see how he goes this year.

Call me crazy but I'd love to see us control the ball out of a stoppage too. Not all clearances are good.
A lot of the work Cripps does at clearances is a level above his teammates therefore a lot of them don't know where to position themselves or where to run to. A bit more quality in the midfield would see Cripps' clearance work rewarded.

A lot of the work Cripps does at clearances is a level above his teammates therefore a lot of them don't know where to position themselves or where to run to. A bit more quality in the midfield would see Cripps' clearance work rewarded.
I think you are right, but it doesn't just stop there. The set-up forward of the stoppage plays a big part in whether the ball is retained and advanced, just moved to another contest or completely turned over. It seems too often we have blindly kicked out of a stoppage or even run the ball out and had nothing on offer ahead.

We get first hands on the ball a lot thanks to players like Cripps and Curnow. It's everything after that point that needs serious work. I know you can't take it away with complete efficiency all the time, but there needs to be improvement in this area I think.

I think you are right, but it doesn't just stop there. The set-up forward of the stoppage plays a big part in whether the ball is retained and advanced, just moved to another contest or completely turned over. It seems too often we have blindly kicked out of a stoppage or even run the ball out and had nothing on offer ahead.

We get first hands on the ball a lot thanks to players like Cripps and Curnow. It's everything after that point that needs serious work. I know you can't take it away with complete efficiency all the time, but there needs to be improvement in this area I think.
I wasn't really happy with the Fisher pick in this years draft but from the little I've seen of him I think he could be perfect for helping in this. I think he could be the link man, getting that second possession in tight and clearing to an open player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back