Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

These are thoughts when it comes to drafting.

Need a KB? Draft the best KF available.

Need a small defender? Draft the best small forward available.

Need a mid sized defender? Draft the best mid sized forward available.

Forwards in the junior system are forwards for a reason, and that reason is ability.
This is true. Off the top of my head Hurley, May, Howe and Burton were all forwards in juniors.

It's harder to be a good forward than a good defender

This is true. Off the top of my head Hurley, May, Howe and Burton were all forwards in juniors.

It's harder to be a good forward than a good defender
Yup, most of the top defenders over the years were drafted as fwds, being a defender in the junior ranks means you weren't good enough to play forward.

Interested to see who you think should be delisted.

To step in on TG's behalf:
  • 30+
  • Wells
  • Dunn
  • Goldsack
  • Pendlebury
  • White
  • Varcoe
  • 25-29
  • Mayne
  • Greenwood
  • Reid
  • Blair
  • Keefe
  • Howe
  • Sidebottom
  • Cox
  • Sinclair
  • Thomas
  • Fasolo
  • Elliot
  • Oxley
  • Trealor
  • Wills
  • 20-25
  • Hoskin-Elliot
  • Adams
  • Crisp
  • Smith
  • Broomhead
  • Grundy
  • Langdon
  • Scharenberg
  • Aish
  • Moore
  • Degoey
  • Phillips
  • Maynard
  • Crocker
  • McCarthy
  • Sier
  • Brown
  • McLarty
  • Under 20
  • Mackie
  • Lynch
  • Kirby
  • Daicos
That should be a good starting :thumbsu:

Not really breaking news or anything of note, but for those who missed it, Tyler Brown has been invited to the AFL Draft Combine in October. Means he was nominated by 4 or more clubs who want to have a look at him.

Means we'll get a good look at his athletic profile, not necessarily a lot about his football ability. Wasn't selected for the under-18 carnival however has shown encouraging signs for the Eastern Ranges.

These are my thoughts when it comes to drafting.

Need a KB? Draft the best KF available.

Need a small defender? Draft the best small forward available.

Need a mid sized defender? Draft the best mid sized forward available.

Forwards in the junior system are forwards for a reason, and that reason is ability.

If a potential draftee needs surgury, you avoid him like the plague unless he's available with a later pick, it's not rocket surgery.
It sounds stupid but it's actually bang on.

Would love peoples thoughts on who we should be drafting. Getting away from the trade or FA talk, what types should the club be looking at drafting?

IMO I think the two areas the club could improve in, in the 2017 AFL draft are young KPP talent and elite ball users.
KPP talent is an obvious one as we have struggled with the lack of young key talent we have developing. In this draft avalivible at around our picks (assuming we trade our frist roudner out which I expect we will) could be;
Haydn McLean (FWD) , Oscar Allen (FWD), Toby Wooller (FWD), Thomas Schmusch (DEF), Alex Peach (DEF), Riley D'Arcy (FWD)

In terms of ball users and game changing players, I was looking at players that use the ball well and make good decisions or have other attributes like goal kicking or pace that can help turn games for us, players, again who may be available at our picks could include;
Lochie O'Brien (MID, high chance of already being gone, but could slide), Joel Garner (MID), Isaac Hewson (MID), Aiden Quigley (MID), Marcus Lentini (MID/FWD), Adam Sambono (FWD/MID), Jack Petruccelle (MID).

If I could peronsally take any three from the draft (again being realistic) I'd take either O'Brien (if he slides) or Garner, McLean and Sambono. And of course Tyler Brown will be taken late, doubt the club will skip again after Kelly and Stewart have shown some really good signs this year as F/S's we overlooked.

Would love to hear from others who may have names that could still be on the draft boards come our later picks. With our first roudner I think being traded and our second gone for WHE last year, any other names or players of note that might still be floating around when we enter the draft?

Noah Balta? I don't know anything about him but i like the name, Joel Garner too.
Imagine getting the big bird
And finding out he's only a little bird ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly can't see Blair being delisted. I'd imagine his pay will probably decrease again but I can't see how a player that Buckley clearly loves - given how many games he has played this year - will be just cut off the list.

If he was definitely gonna be cut I can't see why we'd bother playing him, especially given how s**t he (usually) is.

I see Sinclair was named as a possible delistee.
I sincerely hope not.
He put his health on the line for CFC, unlike a couple of others who put their health on the line for themselves, he deserves to be supported until the doctors say he is no longer viable.
That's what side by side means, not side by high.

BW, we know your view on JT and Keeffe, as you have repeatedly expressed it. This thread is on a different topic; its about the National draft for 2017.

So you would trade De Goey as part of a deal for Lever?

I think it would be better to trade this years first, as De Goey already has a few years of development into him and looks a good prospect.
But if push came to shove you'd probably have to do it for the sake of list balance.
Stuff list balance.
We are desperately short on star power and De Goey is definitely that.
He will explode next year.He reminds me so much of the way Ricciuto played when he first started. If he's anywhere near that in a few years, we'll be glad we kept him.

I see Sinclair was named as a possible delistee.
I sincerely hope not.
He put his health on the line for CFC, unlike a couple of others who put their health on the line for themselves, he deserves to be supported until the doctors say he is no longer viable.
That's what side by side means, not side by high.

Just Curious....have you never (ever) made a mistake? Or had something happen to you that demonstrated that you weren't totally in control?

I honestly can't see Blair being delisted. I'd imagine his pay will probably decrease again but I can't see how a player that Buckley clearly loves - given how many games he has played this year - will be just cut off the list.

If he was definitely gonna be cut I can't see why we'd bother playing him, especially given how s**t he (usually) is.
Because Buckley is still hanging on to the misguided notion of still being able to make finals and thinks Blair can help achieve that.

Doesn't it make you laugh and wonder where we're going.

Because Buckley is still hanging on to the misguided notion of still being able to make finals and thinks Blair can help achieve that.

It does a little bit! But there lays my point. We can't possibly see him as an enhancement to our finals chances but still just go and delist him.

Stuff list balance.
We are desperately short on star power and De Goey is definitely that.
He will explode next year.He reminds me so much of the way Ricciuto played when he first started. If he's anywhere near that in a few years, we'll be glad we kept him.
Ricciuto isn't a bad example.
He becomes that, wow, we are in business.

This type of player is an off the table player.

I still think we go to the draft using our best pick.

Giving up our first round pick? Better be clear best 15 player on list

Maybe Nathan Buckley and the Collingwood football club are operating on the "misguided notion" that if they delisted every player not in the elite level of acceptance on bigfooty there would be nobody left to play.

(For what it's worth, the delisting should happen at the end of the season and every selection until then should take all the considerations into account to get the team best suited to meet the designated opposition. Until the season is done every player has a right to earn their place in the side in my view.)

Will be interesting to see who goes in the first group of delistings.

I'd suggest delisted in first lot will include White, Blair, Oxley (contract one more year might save him) then from rookies Mackie.

Sier and Schade would be in danger, but think they will keep Sier on a cheap deal one more year.

Just Curious....have you never (ever) made a mistake? Or had something happen to you that demonstrated that you weren't totally in control?
Hmmmm......what an interesting question.
I particularly like the use of brackets for the word 'ever'. It makes it a lot more than just 'never'.
It's so not black and white. Yet the question has been asked of Black_White.
Maybe one for the Nathan Freeman thread.

Back