2017 - The most one sided finals series ever

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not yet the most one sided ever, it's only the 4th! (since 1921 anyway).
First in 34, 49 and 69 here were 4 finals not 9.In other years scoring levels were higher overall so relatively
margins were lower, and the chances of a comeback from deficits were greater. . But we are being told now with equalisation that sides are closer, and the evidence of this season is that there are fewer standout teams. So why so many blowouts.? Could it be that teams are wedded to a game plan , that when exposed , there is no capacity to adapt. I mean , have you ever seen a final like tonight when a team can have so many uncontested marks? Yes well probably yes, almost always in the last 5 years. Old timers like me are told we have n idea, but surely when your zone gets picked to pieces ,man on man isn't a bad Plan,TE]

Last edited:
Afl will struggle to maintain let alone increase the broadcast rights next time .

Back before the VFL became the AFL, powerbrokers believed a change in Richmond's fortunes could rescue the competition. And so, thirty years on, the prophecy has come to pass; Richmond is single-handedly saving football. There will be near enough to 100,000 people at the MCG this evening. To watch the ******* Giants.

Observe and be awed.

Well the coaching "professionals" have had their way. Transformed the most exciting free flowing game into the most boring static sport. So now it is only interesting if the game is close. And now we can't even manage that. What a shocking spectacle this finals series has been. Afl will struggle to maintain let alone increase the broadcast rights next time . Bad luck for any clubs doing Buddy type deals hoping backloaded contracts can be bailed out by massive TPP increases in future years.

Common myth. Ice Hockey is and always has been the most exciting free flowing game.

weren't we harping on about how it's an average year with no real strong sides? Now we are just watching Adelaide become the most dominant side in a very very long time. When was the last time a team has been so dominant in finals?

Besides the Swans -Essendon final, which I was at, I haven't watched a final this season. Mostly because I've been away or had something else on but I really don't feel I've missed much. Planning to watch the game this afternoon but have the feeling Richmond will win easily.

This is the shittest finals series to watch. I want games decided in the last quarter not the first.

I hope tomorrow nights game is a ripper

To be fair the Swans Bombers game wasn't decided til the 2nd quarter. :D:'(

It's not yet the most one sided ever, it's only the 4th! (since 1921 anyway).

View attachment 419246

Most of those other years there was one or two games that were massacres(2007 lol Port) which blew the average margin out. The other finals were reasonably close and had some ripper finals (2007 Pies-Cats, Eagles - Power, Hawks-Crows, Pies-Eagles). This year there has been one decent final.

weren't we harping on about how it's an average year with no real strong sides? Now we are just watching Adelaide become the most dominant side in a very very long time. When was the last time a team has been so dominant in finals?

Collingwood in 2010 looked the same through their first two finals and we got an all time classic GF out of it.

Otherwise Hawthorn in 2008 and Essendon in 2000 had similar results on their way to the GF.

There are 198 games a year. Of the 9 a round usually a few are blowouts, a few middling results after early competitiveness and 1 or 2 crackers.

There are only 9 finals. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw. Like everyone in early 2000s complained about no close GFs then we had 4 out of 6 decided by under a couple of goals.

Still 2 to go. All it takes is for one or both to be a rip snorter and everyone will be likening it to the greatest finals series of all time.

I predict 1 will be decided by a kick after the siren and 1 more will go extra time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been an ordinary year with no stand out team. The pre finals favourite were the Swans who came from 0-6 to make the finals and finish 6th. Adelaide have the advantage of two home finals at the cauldron, of course they look good now. It has opened the door for Richmond of all teams to be this year's Bulldogs, an average team that can and probably will be premiers! I cannot possibly see how the Crows could beat them at the MCG! It will be another blow out!

True. 2017 in some ways is like the 2000 season, one very dominant team and daylight between the rest. I just hope that Richmond or GWS put in a better effort than Melbourne did back then.

this for the first time ive watched , doesnt feel like finals

been the worst since 2007, by bar
Lol what? 2007 was great, sure there was some floggings but you had the Port Eagles QF, the EF against Adelaide that Buddy won off his own boot, the extra time semi between Collingwood and West Coast and of course the Collingwood Geelong prelim. 4 games decided by under a goal

There are 198 games a year. Of the 9 a round usually a few are blowouts, a few middling results after early competitiveness and 1 or 2 crackers.

There are only 9 finals. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw. Like everyone in early 2000s complained about no close GFs then we had 4 out of 6 decided by under a couple of goals.

Still 2 to go. All it takes is for one or both to be a rip snorter and everyone will be likening it to the greatest finals series of all time.

I predict 1 will be decided by a kick after the siren and 1 more will go extra time.
That doesn't work as during the home and away, you can have top 8 sides matched up against a bottom 8 side. The scores should reflect the difference in quality.

In finals, these are the best 8, then best 6, 4 and 2 teams of the year facing off to progress.

From these results, other than Port and WCE being close, there's a huge gap between 5-6 with 7-8. 3-4 with 5-6, and the top 2 from the rest.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What a joke of a finals Series for the neutrals.

If the gf is a blowout , the victory pack wouldn't be worth watching for the whole match.

I know I've only watched the wc final only once.

What a joke of a finals Series for the neutrals.

If the gf is a blowout , the victory pack wouldn't be worth watching for the whole match.

I know I've only watched the wc final only once.

The fresh legs probably contributing to the pure disgrace that has been this finals series.

The bye should probably go. The Crows rested players and cost the demons a spot anyway.

If only Brad Scott rested 5 players instead of 10 when embarrassing the Tigers, we wouldn't have a diluted finish to the season.

The fresh legs probably contributing to the pure disgrace that has been this finals series.

The bye should probably go. The Crows rested players and cost the demons a spot anyway.

If only Brad Scott rested 5 players instead of 10 when embarrassing the Tigers, we wouldn't have a diluted finish to the season.
All Melbourne had to do is beat Collingwood to make finals, nothing to do with the Crows. They had plenty if incentive and blew it.

Lots of blow outs and yet still lots of upsets with underdogs blowing out the favoured team. It seems we live in a time when a team getting a run on has become more common.

The only close games I like are when teams other than my Tigers are playing. I like to either win easily or know we are stuffed with a quarter to go, much less stressful that way.

Those 4 close games we had against the Bulldogs, Freo, Sydney and GWS where we were ahead in all in the last 2 minutes, for me they totally blew! I plan to be nicely tipsy by game start time for the GF and by half time I may not know my name.

agree with the bloke that said it doesn't feel like finals. Even the GF for me doesn't feel like a GF. Worst finals I've ever witnessed.

I like it when the Hawks are deep in Septmeber. The Pies, Blues and Dons. The fanatical nutcase supporter base of all. Glad the Tigers are there as they haven't made it in yonks and no supporter base is more insane than they are. Take nothing away from the Crows they've been the best team all year and proved me wrong how good they are. Just with the blowouts it's made the finals s**t and the fact as mentioned we haven't got a Hawthorn or a Collingwood in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back