List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like this prospect I don't think we have anything to satisfy you guys in a trade unless it's our 1st rounder, which we would be unlikely to part with unless a kpf was involved. Is JJ a restricted FA? (Apologies if this has already been answered)....if he is a FA, I would think we are a big chance.
Yes it would be an interesting negotiation. I wonder what our club's attitude will be to our first round pick. Would we prefer to trade next year's? Probably.

Yep, I like that.
2018 1st rounder for JJ.
2017 1st rounder to the draft.
The keys being expectations that 1) we will be better next season, and 2) that there will be a decent KPP prospect sitting around this years selection.

I am finding it difficult to grasp the Phantom Draft threads regarding KPPs. Clearly there are some decent options, but many are tied to Academies. Others won't realistically be available to us (assuming we settle outside the top 5 draft picks). It is a fair way out for KPPs to make a run for higher draft picks at this stage of the season so there is time for that to happen.

Is there value in the mid first round in terms of KPFs? We probably end up with somewhere around 6-12, and if we consider Logue then what you get is someone a bit speculative but with a fair bit of upside.

Yep, I like that.
2018 1st rounder for JJ.
2017 1st rounder to the draft.
Maybe we complicate the deal to gain a 2nd round this year.

2018 1st + Sheridan (for example)
2017 2nd + JJ

OR

2018 2nd + Sheridan
JJ

Because I am sure they want Sheridan, and just because Hagdorn hasn't reported it yet doesn't mean it isn't true.

Maybe we complicate the deal to gain a 2nd round this year.

2018 1st + Sheridan (for example)
2017 2nd + JJ

OR

2018 2nd + Sheridan
JJ

Because I am sure they want Sheridan, and just because Hagdorn hasn't reported it yet doesn't mean it isn't true.
Plus a bonus Suban or DPearce for free as a token of our generosity.

On MIX using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, not the end of the world, we have a lot of young depth coming through as far as small running back types go, they're cheaper cap-wise and won't cost a 1st rounder to keep. Maybe once he's a free agent we can revisit.
Mitch McGovern on the other hand..

Given the recent passing of Jesse Hogan's father, I wonder if he may now seek to return to WA sooner rather than later to be with his family (once he's back playing footy)?

Not underating when you add in the money involved and ability sign other young players contract extension currently on the list. 1st pick first two year is cheaper contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't think we should be recruiting anyone who isn't a KPF using our first pick (maybe this will change based on final ladder position). JJ as good as he is is only one rebounding defender, a position on the field that can often be covered by players drafted later in the draft or even as rookies. Not to mention we should be able to field a couple of above average rebounders for less than Johannison in contract value with change left over.

With the KPF when are we next going to have a top ten draft pick (assuming we miss the eight) in a draft full with talls. Who knows where we'll finish next year for example and even then who knows where Carter goes in the draft. If we don't take one the gun KPF we need to win a flag this year we could easily be back in the cycle of hoping for Hogan coming to home every year and him never actually doing so. The rest of team we can put together through later picks, trades and free agency but the chance to draft a gun KPF may never come about again for 4-5 years if the rest of this rebuild clicks quickly enough.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I honestly don't think we should be recruiting anyone who isn't a KPF using our first pick (maybe this will change based on final ladder position). JJ as good as he is is only one rebounding defender, a position on the field that can often be covered by players drafted later in the draft or even as rookies. Not to mention we should be able to field a couple of above average rebounders for less than Johannison in contract value with change left over.

With the KPF when are we next going to have a top ten draft pick (assuming we miss the eight) in a draft full with talls. Who knows where we'll finish next year for example and even then who knows where Carter goes in the draft. If we don't take one the gun KPF we need to win a flag this year we could easily be back in the cycle of hoping for Hogan coming to home every year and him never actually doing so. The rest of team we can put together through later picks, trades and free agency but the chance to draft a gun KPF may never come about again for 4-5 years if the rest of this rebuild clicks quickly enough.

Agree we need to target a KPF with our 1st this year. If we want JJ then we should offer our 2018 1st. This years draft is too good for talls to pass up a top pick IMO.

Yes I agree.

Two other points:
1 ) we didn't overpay for any of our recruits which is a good indication of the club's policy.

2) last year's #1 pick plays a similar role to JJ. So the position is recognised as being valuable.

Given the recent passing of Jesse Hogan's father, I wonder if he may now seek to return to WA sooner rather than later to be with his family (once he's back playing footy)?

I don't think our new game plan would suit Jesse and the size of his contract wouldn't suit our TPP.

I'd pass on JJ too - just keep going to the well and developing our list.

Yes I agree.

Two other points:
1 ) we didn't overpay for any of our recruits which is a good indication of the club's policy.

2) last year's #1 pick plays a similar role to JJ. So the position is recognised as being valuable.

Disagree on McGrath. Will barely play defence within 3-4 years. Will only start his career there and will progress to become a midfielder. No different to Mills last year

As much as I'd love JJ I think we can develop Weller to be a pretty special hbf. I'd only chase JJ if Weller wanted out this year, otherwise tell JJ to sign a 1 year deal with Bulldogs.
M
I personally think Hogan will request a trade home at end of season. Freo takeover his current salary. Pay 2017 1st and 2018 2nd. Melbourne wouldn't want a GWS/McCarthy. He is very young to lose his father. RIP Tony.

We have some serious talent coming through the ranks and can target WA interstate players each year through trading/FA to improve our list.

If we can afford JJ we can afford Hogan. Both would cost similar in terms of a deal this year.

It's horrible to be discussing Hogans future due to the circumstances, but I think it's a real possibility. He may sit out the rest of 2017.

As much as I'd love JJ I think we can develop Weller to be a pretty special hbf. I'd only chase JJ if Weller wanted out this year, otherwise tell JJ to sign a 1 year deal with Bulldogs.
M
I personally think Hogan will request a trade home at end of season. Freo takeover his current salary. Pay 2017 1st and 2018 2nd. Melbourne wouldn't want a GWS/McCarthy. He is very young to lose his father. RIP Tony.

We have some serious talent coming through the ranks and can target WA interstate players each year through trading/FA to improve our list.

If we can afford JJ we can afford Hogan. Both would cost similar in terms of a deal this year.

It's horrible to be discussing Hogans future due to the circumstances, but I think it's a real possibility. He may sit out the rest of 2017.

Just leave it. It's distasteful at the moment.

M

Personally I think if he would have come home it would have been before he passed not after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back