2017 Women's Team - List Management and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Amongst other things, its about generating extra content for the league. At the moment theres a gap between the Australian open ending, and the full fledged AFL season that the AFL wants to move in on.

While I applaud the AFLK for finally kicking it off, the league is very half arsed at the moment. Ridiculously short season literally designed to be filler material, and a salary cap so low i could almost fund it myself with a bunning sausage sizzle or two.
I haven't looked at it that deeply, and I'm sure there are many areas that will evolve and be perfected over time.
But surely they could start with the most basic of principles and just find one more week, even if it overlaps with Aus open or the NAB challenge.
Have the teams play each other once, at least that eliminates a very obvious, on the surface issue. And then they go about working on the underlying needs of the competition in the background.
I think the small amount of games is an insult to the league, but at least if they play seven games, it can be a number based on something tangible (each team playing each other once). Six games just sounds random and makes no sense.
It's not like they're playing ten games and we're calling for 14. It's just one more week, surely they could've done that...

I haven't looked at it that deeply, and I'm sure there are many areas that will evolve and be perfected over time.
But surely they could start with the most basic of principles and just find one more week, even if it overlaps with Aus open or the NAB challenge.
Have the teams play each other once, at least that eliminates a very obvious, on the surface issue. And then they go about working on the underlying needs of the competition in the background.
I think the small amount of games is an insult to the league, but at least if they play seven games, it can be a number based on something tangible (each team playing each other once). Six games just sounds random and makes no sense.
It's not like they're playing ten games and we're calling for 14. It's just one more week, surely they could've done that...

evidently they are still looking at putting more in, its just the timing apparently.

Everyone is different and it does depend on the context. I jumped the gun without considering your context so I apologise for that. The issue is that it can be quite infantilising and offensive in that regard; it can have different connotations to "boys".
But it shouldn't and it doesn't to me.

For many words in the English language context plays an important role in determining their meaning. Talking about "supporting our girls" gives the word an entirely different meaning then when it is used in a phrase like "they're just a bunch of girls". The first is a sign of support with no negative implications while the second is derogatory. I don't believe you need to remove a word like girls from use just because some people are idiots. Boys can be derogatory too when used in a different context. But we still use it with pride when discussing players on our team, some of whom are many years older than some supporters using the term.

Anyway back to the current discussion. Surely if they're taking it as seriously as they should all teams need to play each other at least once. Its such an obvious thing to do.

For many words in the English language context plays an important role in determining their meaning. Talking about "supporting our girls" gives the word an entirely different meaning then when it is used in a phrase like "they're just a bunch of girls". The first is a sign of support with no negative implications while the second is derogatory. I don't believe you need to remove a word like girls from use just because some people are idiots. Boys can be derogatory too when used in a different context. But we still use it with pride when discussing players on our team, some of whom are many years older than some supporters using the term.

Anyway back to the current discussion. Surely if they're taking it as seriously as they should all teams need to play each other at least once. Its such an obvious thing to do.
That's exactly what I said. That it depends on context. Thanks for agreeing, I guess?

Well said. I was reading that post and found myself in agreement.

I'm ambivalent about this announcement. Why can't the women have a stand alone authority to run the league? I don't see why the AFL has to be involved in everything. Why is a draft and salary cap required? It's just mimicking the men's game. I'd adopt a 'walk before you can run' approach to the development of the women's game. It's like the pressure is on from the start and I'm not sure that this is the best approach.

I'm ambivalent about this announcement. Why can't the women have a stand alone authority to run the league? I don't see why the AFL has to be involved in everything. Why is a draft and salary cap required? It's just mimicking the men's game. I'd adopt a 'walk before you can run' approach to the development of the women's game. It's like the pressure is on from the start and I'm not sure that this is the best approach.

AFL branding without AFL involvement? How exactly does that work? There has been the opportunity all along for a non AFL elite Women's competition to be created but it never happened. I like how this has been set up. Hope it takes off.

Funded by who? Played where? Seen by who? Theres a reason the AFL is involved in a lot of things. Its where all the money for the things comes from.

Eventually it would be good to see women running their competition. * the suits off over time.

Eventually it would be good to see women running their competition. **** the suits off over time.

I dare say it might be good to see women running the men's competition eventually...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant.
Even the creepy Slobbo comment at the end.:rolleyes:(weirdo he is).
As the father of a pre-school girl,this really moved me.
Incredible step toward equality across the board for women in this country.
We all know there will be detractors,but they will be drowned out soon enough.
Just to think that the kick to kick or the little handball catch practice with her fluffy CFC footy since before she could talk,might actually be more than just a bit of fun is something that makes me get a tad emotional.
Btw,she's definitely an inside mid;) with a bit of dash.

Always happy to agree with you MEB.

It's usually safer that way.

Usually but read the fine print.

There was that one time when she told me to stop being so damn compliant and I said 'okay, I'll stop'.

Any Father-and-Daughter rule? Kernanhan has 4 daughters I think.

Yup, 1 game qualification. Andy McKay's daughter is 15 and plays. Not sure what the cut off age is for the comp. Probably same as men's.

Carrazzo has 3. Judd has 1.

Yup, 1 game qualification. Andy McKay's daughter is 15 and plays. Not sure what the cut off age is for the comp. Probably same as men's.

Carrazzo has 3. Judd has 1.

18 yo minimum as I understand it. 1 game qualification for father-daughter. That leaves my daughter 1 game short unfortunately. Oh and maybe a little shy on talent.

Any Father-and-Daughter rule? Kernanhan has 4 daughters I think.
I know that Kernahan has 2... one 20 and the other 17 (as of 2014 I think the article was from). I find myself, after declaring that he had 4 daughters, struggling to find mention of the other two.

I think that for the first few years, the womens competition is just going to be a sideshow to the mens leagues... until such time as a proper feeder league can be setup for the under 18s... similar to the NAB championships and TAC cup competition. Then once those are established, the trickle down effect will work, hopefully, with state leagues starting up their own womens leagues.

At the moment, things are very fluid and need to be walked through the teething period. However, once things get settled and the development leagues and second tier leagues are up and running, things should settle down and we can start having a full season of home and away games. I don't like the idea of having 13 teams in the league which is what could happen from 2018 onwards... 12 would be good enough to begin with and a 22 game season run in conjunction with the AFL season proper. And setup a second tier system where the bottom couple of teams get demoted and the top team in their state gets promoted.

Would make for a much more scalable system and actually allow for a lot more womens teams long term.

I know that Kernahan has 2... one 20 and the other 17 (as of 2014 I think the article was from). I find myself, after declaring that he had 4 daughters, struggling to find mention of the other two.

We have 2 Carlton daughters, * the rest.

Should put Arnell's profile over here as well I guess.

View attachment 257095

Sounds as if Lauren Arnell is a confirmed player -

http://embeds.audioboom.com/boos/4710944-brownlow-s-blues-episode-3/embed/v4?eid=AQAAADWVZFcg4kcA

About 5 mins in, Trigg mentions in the podcast that clubs have list flexibility if there is an existing connection to the club - then goes on to say that Lauren is not only a Visy ambassador but is/will be on the coaching panel :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back