Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get why we’d trade in a top 5 pick then take someone who is rated top 20-30?!?

Why not just take all the 2nd round picks that were offered plus fill a few more gaps in the list.

I really don’t like that we have two top 5 picks cos I think we’ll blow at least one on some speculative pick we could have got in the 20’s anyhow and they’ll be a dud.

If we get anything outside of 2 of the top 10 rated midfielders this year I’ll be very not happy

Last edited:
Have to politely disagree with Chris's line of thinking.
There's no point taking a 'free hit' on a speculative tall pick with 5 just because we got pick 2.

It's pretty clear to see the game is moving toward more mobility, speed and skill - with a team that has mid-backs, mid-forwards, and mid-quasi KP's

I think the smartest strategy is grabbing the highest quality mids available and buy your Kp's via free agency given you know their performance (rather than sitting on a list for 4 years 'developing').

No Hayes or Naughton at 5 for mine...
it's all about the mid,
'bout the mid,
No Kp

3. LUKE DAVIES-UNIACKE

Midfielder, 187cm, 85kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Luke is a tough, composed and hard-working midfielder and he was outstanding when he steered Vic Country to a win over the Allies with 34 disposals and 10 marks during the championships. Despite not having quite the same impact thereafter, recruiters are well aware of his talents. Davies-Uniacke is the right size for a modern midfielder and I really like that he’s so competitive, a good kick and has a turn of speed — his breakaway goal from a centre clearance against Vic Metro in Round 3 of the carnival showed everyone his talent. He is a prospect I can see playing some AFL football in 2018 and with luck, I’m sure he will have a good career.

Plays like: Modern-day tall midfielder similar to Nat Fyfe

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast/All clubs would be interested

LDU's kicking looked just fine in that vid floating around.

Btw if we draft him we have to call him UDL. Rolls off the tongue much better.

If we want a great kicker, then we could draft Lochie O'Brian... Don't think he'll be there at our next pick after 5 though....and taking him at 5 would be reaching somewhat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LDU's kicking looked just fine in that vid floating around.

Watch the WA state game. His kicking was terrible. Factoring in the other games out there with footage, I would call it average at best. Not very damaging/creative and missed a lot of targets.

We didn't accept St Kildas pick 7 for a reason. We have 5 prospects at the top of the draft that we view explicitly better than the best. Brad Lloyd has said this exact same thing on trade radio.

I'm convinced both players will come from Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Stephenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
probably, although if any of them indicate they don’t want to move it will be interesting.

We didn't accept St Kildas pick 7 for a reason. We have 5 prospects at the top of the draft that we view explicitly better than the best. Brad Lloyd has said this exact same thing on trade radio.

I'm convinced both players will come from Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Stephenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect Brayshaw is rated in that group too by Lloyd.

3. LUKE DAVIES-UNIACKE

Midfielder, 187cm, 85kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Buckenara says: Luke is a tough, composed and hard-working midfielder and he was outstanding when he steered Vic Country to a win over the Allies with 34 disposals and 10 marks during the championships. Despite not having quite the same impact thereafter, recruiters are well aware of his talents. Davies-Uniacke is the right size for a modern midfielder and I really like that he’s so competitive, a good kick and has a turn of speed — his breakaway goal from a centre clearance against Vic Metro in Round 3 of the carnival showed everyone his talent. He is a prospect I can see playing some AFL football in 2018 and with luck, I’m sure he will have a good career.

Plays like: Modern-day tall midfielder similar to Nat Fyfe

Clubs suited: Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast/All clubs would be interested
lol

Have to politely disagree with Chris's line of thinking.
There's no point taking a 'free hit' on a speculative tall pick with 5 just because we got pick 2.

It's pretty clear to see the game is moving toward more mobility, speed and skill - with a team that has mid-backs, mid-forwards, and mid-quasi KP's

I think the smartest strategy is grabbing the highest quality mids available and buy your Kp's via free agency given you know their performance (rather than sitting on a list for 4 years 'developing').

No Hayes or Naughton at 5 for mine...
it's all about the mid,
'bout the mid,
No Kp

Couldn't agree more. Don't reach Lloydy, best available every time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haggers thinks the extra pick we got will ensure we take Naughton with 5. If true we would have a hard decision between possibly LDU, Dow and Stephenson at 2, although some people reckon we like Cerra.

p.s Twomey had us taking Naughton as well. Just saying...

Haggers thinks the extra pick we got will ensure we take Naughton with 5. If true we would have a hard decision between possibly LDU, Dow and Stephenson at 2, although some people reckon we like Cerra.
Do you had anybody in mind for pick 42 ,60 ,66. Don't mind we had somebody we pick last year like Sean Darcy,Cox and Luke Ryan.

As usual, Haggers is just following popular opinion. I really can't see why you'd change the strategy and go outside the top 7 that Lloyd has said is the easily better than the rest. Unless of course he was just saying that because we had pick 5 or he rates Naughton in the 7.

Almost every phantom drafter has us taking Naughton at 5.

Go back 5-7 days. Lloyd delists Collins and justifies it by stating that our '16 draft (Logue, Cox) sorted out our backline talls for the future. He also says we will be focusing on mids and forwards.

We then unexpectedly lose a midfielder and get a good pick in return... not sure why losing Weller a midfielder now makes us need to reach for a defender.

Two best mids/mid-fwds please Lloydy.

Last edited:

He actually said 5-7 which makes rejecting pick 7 even more interesting

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...p-top-pick-in-next-months-draft-ng-b88606080z

“It is a pretty even five or seven really,” Lloyd said of the draft’s top end.

“We are really happy to sit in there at pick five,” Lloyd said.

Asked if the Dockers would target a key position player or midfielder, Lloyd said: “We need to add to our key position posts and we need to add to our midfield stocks as well.”

“We are not going to stray too far off taking the best player.”

Do you had anybody in mind for pick 42 ,60 ,66. Don't mind we had somebody we pick last year like Sean Darcy,Cox and Luke Ryan.
I want Gryan Miers. If we take a midfielder with 2, a tall with 5, I would like a pacy goal kicking small forward/midfielder like Miers to replace Balla. Freo, of course will go for a skinny half back flanker so it might be someone like Patmore who I quite like the sound of. Starcevich will be gone unfortunately, so we may look at a kid like Cassidy Parish as a top clearance player if we have the guts to take Stephenson instead of LDU, Dow or Cerra at 2. There are a couple of mature age midfielders from the Neafl and Vic comps that are rated and might be picked up late. I especially like Zac Bailey as a midfield option maybe at 40ish. I like Dixon but WC's multiple picks inside ours might put an end to him, if they think he is good enough to go that high,. They may get a play at Allen, so Dixon might not happen. There is my little trip into fantasy land.

I want Gryan Miers. If we take a midfielder with 2, a tall with 5, I would like a pacy goal kicking small forward/midfielder like Miers to replace Balla. Freo, of course will go for a skinny half back flanker so it might be someone like Patmore who I quite like the sound of. Starcevich will be gone unfortunately, so we may look at a kid like Cassidy Parish as a top clearance player if we have the guts to take Stephenson instead of LDU, Dow or Cerra at 2. There are a couple of mature age midfielders from the Neafl and Vic comps that are rated and might be picked up late. I especially like Zac Bailey as a midfield option maybe at 40ish. I like Dixon but WC's multiple picks inside ours might put an end to him, if they think he is good enough to go that high,. They may get a play at Allen, so Dixon might not happen. There is my little trip into fantasy land.
Don't think Miers will last until pick 42 .

I think going deep in the draft this year is actually good, by the time pick 60 come , only Hawthorn , Essendon and Port type of them waiting around to pick their second/third players .
Yeah between most clubs only taking 2 or 3 players and the academy picks taken out of action, we will slide up a bit at the lower end, hopefully.

If Lloyd rates Naughton as the best forward in the draft despite him being a defender I'd be happy enough to take him at 5. I think the likelihood though is we go two mids and look at a key forward at 42. Wouldn't mind seeing if we could turn that Ben Miller kid into a forward. Impressive athletic traits but undersized for a ruckman. Given almost every no. 2 ruck in the league is undersized these days that shouldn't be a problem if he's a useful forward as well.

If Lloyd rates Naughton as the best forward in the draft despite him being a defender I'd be happy enough to take him at 5. I think the likelihood though is we go two mids and look at a key forward at 42. Wouldn't mind seeing if we could turn that Ben Miller kid into a forward. Impressive athletic traits but undersized for a ruckman. Given almost every no. 2 ruck in the league is undersized these days that shouldn't be a problem if he's a useful forward as well.

He is quite an athlete that Miller, he is built quite nicely too for a young man. I'd prefer to draft wide talls than skinny talls if there is a choice.

Haggers thinks.....
That's the problem though!
False premise, false argument.
I know it's his job to provide thoughtful commentary,and it's a paid position;so it's an understandable and common error.
But..alas poor Doghorn has nothing to think with!:(

Despite the impressive strike rate of a broken clock and mimicking the superior judges of Callum and salim I'd be surprised if Buttered Crumpet Moosh is on the money here.Can't see us do anything other than best mids available.Having said that I doubt it immediately as we always seem to drag one out of left field.
I'm much more comfortable with this new focused and aggressive trading/recruiting model than whatever the last one was though.
They'll get it done,and if it is Naughton he'll be rolled gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back