World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham Poll what a ******* idiot he was.

On that world cup and strange game - Kalac - what a howler. With his gambling addiction looking back I reckon he meant to let that 2nd goal in vs Croatia. Would have made some money off it.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/fifa-world...cristiano-ronaldo-deliver-32-teams-in-32-days

interesting. I agree with the round table. Just had a look at how old some of their players are. Bruno Alves and Pepe are old and Pepe is playing in Turkey now. Pepe was huge at the euros and instrumental in their title run. So to was Renato Sanches who didn't make the cut. Very lucky to win the euros and I think they could very well exit at the group. Morocco could be one of the surprise teams and upset Spain or Portugal. Portugal would be my tip if any.

In any case quarters at the very best for them imo.

While talking about Egypt in this thread on Thursday a little freaky omen popped up not long later while I was doing something. I think they're a good bet to get out of the group. I could be wrong, but HOLY golly I could be right;)

How did he go for Roma this season? Surely he warranted a call up.

His behaviour causes issues. He smokes, drinks and has been late for NT meetings. He's also criticised teammates who were picked ahead of him. He may have had a point, but statements like that aren't helping anyone. Wilmots didn't select him for Brazil '14 either. Martinez also gave a tactical explanation in the past, saying that he's best at Roma playing as a 10, while that doesn't work for Belgium, partly because Hazard and Mertens are preferred to him in that area, and that Nainggolan is not the type to accept being a sub. I think it's mostly about his personality really.

He scored twice at the Euros (our only goals against Sweden and Wales, so important goals really), but I can imagine his presence would have an effect on the other players and can undermine the coaching staff. He comes across as quite a dominant character. He's definitely good enough but we're not exactly short of players in midfield.

His behaviour causes issues. He smokes, drinks and has been late for NT meetings. He's also criticised teammates who were picked ahead of him. He may have had a point, but statements like that aren't helping anyone. Wilmots didn't select him for Brazil '14 either. Martinez also gave a tactical explanation in the past, saying that he's best at Roma playing as a 10, while that doesn't work for Belgium, partly because Hazard and Mertens are preferred to him in that area, and that Nainggolan is not the type to accept being a sub. I think it's mostly about his personality really.

He scored twice at the Euros (our only goals against Sweden and Wales, so important goals really), but I can imagine his presence would have an effect on the other players and can undermine the coaching staff. He comes across as quite a dominant character. He's definitely good enough but we're not exactly short of players in midfield.
Yeah I remember those cracking goals at the Euro.

Fair call. He does seem like a robust outspoken character. Team harmony and unity is a very important thing. If that's disrupted it's easy to lose focus and keep your head in the game. I understand the logic as to why he's missing out then. It's a shame, because like at the euros he can produce some dazzling football.

On paper the Aussies should cop a double figure hiding but the French being who they are, it just takes one ego laden clique to cause a rift within the squad and who knows the Aussies might do the unthinkable and snatch a result.

On paper the Aussies should cop a double figure hiding but the French being who they are, it just takes one ego laden clique to cause a rift within the squad and who knows the Aussies might do the unthinkable and snatch a result.
A double figure hiding is pretty extreme. There haven't been many of those at the world cup and seeing as though we drew Colombia last friendly, who beat France after being 2-0 down shows we really aren't that bad. If we were Colombia themselves would have beaten us 4 or 5 nil at least. I'm not even comparing them results wise, it obviously doesn't work like that. France despite losing is still the better team. That's football. That's sport.

I do agree that we could surprise them and produce a shock result. We're capable. I wouldn't bet on it nor predict it, but it's something that could occur. I think we're about 23-1 which is a good price. We shouldn't be those odds. Probably get smashed in all likelihood, but we're not a minnow and are over the odds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also remember Brazil 2014. We were supposed to get obliterated in the first two games. It proved the complete opposite where we could have easily got something out of both games. Spain put us to the sword ironically who got destroyed like we were supposed to, at least against Holland.

After saying all of this no question France should win and looks one of the certain bets of the 1st round. Contradicting words from me yes. To be more precise again the odds are wrong imo. Australia at 23-1 is over the odds and if they score first could be a good trade potentially. If France are $1.20 I would have thought the Aussies would be around $6.50 bare minimum, more likely around $8.50 and no higher than $10.50. That's all I'm getting at.

Rant done and dusted. Like the Roos.

* just checked out while noticing quite a few teams who were there in 2014 are not here in 2018. To my suprise it's more than I first thought. 11 sides that were there in Brazil 2014 are not there in Russia 2018. In 2010 compared to 2014 there were 8 less teams. 13, 12 really serbia changed names from 2006 to 2010. Maybe not as uncommon as I first thought.

**** just checked out while noticing quite a few teams who were there in 2014 are not here in 2018. To my suprise it's more than I first thought. 11 sides that were there in Brazil 2014 are not there in Russia 2018. In 2010 compared to 2014 there were 8 less teams. 13, 12 really serbia changed names from 2006 to 2010. Maybe not as uncommon as I first thought.
Four years is a long time, and European (& especially African qualifying) is cut throat stuff.

That surprises you
I'm surprised mate but then again I haven't been following soccer like I used to. Had to think he played for Chelsea this season didn't he.

How many goals in how many games did he get? Obviously not that good a return if he missed out.

Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao), David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli)

Defenders: Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Nacho (Real Madrid), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid)

Forwards: Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo (Valencia), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid)

I'm not convinced on Spain. Was going to say who have they beat apart from an average Italy. Occurred that they trounced Argentina 6-1 in a friendly after drawing with Germany 1-1 or vice versa. I don't take too much out of friendlies. Not when Argentina or Italy plays anyway.

Awesome squad but some of the guys are around 30 or more. Silva, Iniesta, Ramos, Pique {29 }, Busquets for example. I'm well aware of who they play for and what they already have achieved. I just think they played nobody in qualifying and there is a lot of hype around a team who peaked from 2008-2012.

I favour France and Germany over them still. I reckon Argentina will get em as well.

Last edited:
Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao), David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli)

Defenders: Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Nacho (Real Madrid), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid)

Forwards: Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo (Valencia), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid)

I'm not convinced on Spain. Was going to say who have they beat apart from an average Italy. Occurred that they trounced Argentina 6-1 in a friendly after drawing with Germany 1-1 or vice versa. I don't take too much out of friendlies. Not when Argentina or Italy plays anyway.

Awesome squad but some of the guys are around 30 or more. Silva, Iniesta, Ramos, Pique {29 }, Busquets for example. I'm well aware of who they play for and what they already have achieved. I just thunk they played nobody in qualifying and there is a lot of hype around a team who peaked from 2008-2012.

I favour France and Germany over them still. I reckon Argentina will get em as well.
Costa would always start ahead of him as would Asensio. Spain have been known to load up their midfield and not go into games with a recognised 9. Morata hasn't had a great season.

I still like the Spanish squad. They're always in with a chance with the class they have. I think their weak spot is their forwards though, doesn't really strike fear into the opposition with the names they've got there.

It's not just about the squad. Spain, like Germany, plays a system the players are very familiar with. Deschamps doesn't know yet how to play with France. A friendly may not mean much and the form during the tournament is decisive, but a series of friendlies (and qualifiers) gives you an indication of a team's strength. Spain hasn't lost a game since the Euros. They've blown Argentina off the field, played demonstration football in Belgium, they won in France, drew in Germany... I think things are looking very well for them.

Of course, teams' forms can change during tournaments. Italy and Germany have done it several times, and Portugal won the Euros after what was a very average tournament for them really.

Where is the hype at? Build up is non existent, hope changes soon
Some people are burned out I guess from this season, Also still have the Championship play-off final + Champions League Final to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back