World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol Alexander Arnold named. Guy is a horrible right back, not Premier league standard, will be exposed if he plays. Phil Jones and Cahill recalled.. oh dear. Enjoy losing the round of 16 England.
I fancy the poms this time around to get to the quarters.

Colombia
Poland { My tip for top but don't count on it }
Senegal
Japan

Regardless where they finish in group G, England will fancy themselves against any of those. They've got enough experience now as well as some young guns { where have we heard that before } but the 2nd round curse or worse has to end at some stage. I think this is it, particularly back on European soil.

1990 - semi finals { played Belgium Incidentally }
1998 - 2nd round { played Tunisia in the group }
2006 - Quarter Finals

The last 3 world cups in Europe they've produced fair results and they were robbed imo in 1998.

Poms will have some luck this time around and they deserve it.

Liverpool's uncapped youngster Trent Alexander-Arnold was called up by manager Gareth Southgate, who omitted goalkeeper Joe Hart and midfielder Jack Wilshere.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Phil Jones (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester City)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

On a different note, Dybala might not play in the world cup for Argentina? Spewing!

That's a very underwhelming team England have these days. Round of 16 for them
Midfield creativity of a sponge. It's literally the "Let's hope Harry Kane can score us goals" team. That's what it was during qualifying. 5 players who scored 7 goals between them will not be at the WC. Lallana, Sturridge, Bertrand (stupidly) and Ox. Considering they only scored 18 goals in 10 matches, that is a lot of scoring to miss. It isn't exactly being made up either. Sterling struggled for England all the time as he doesn't have the Manc players around him to feed him. Rashford and Lingard are underwhelming at international level, I mean they are regular substitutes for Manure rather than starters. Dele Alli hasn't been in great form either. They are relying on an Italian way of playing.

Last edited:
I fancy the poms this time around to get to the quarters.

Colombia
Poland { My tip for top but don't count on it }
Senegal
Japan

Regardless where they finish in group G, England will fancy themselves against any of those. They've got enough experience now as well as some young guns { where have we heard that before } but the 2nd round curse or worse has to end at some stage. I think this is it, particularly back on European soil.

1990 - semi finals { played Belgium Incidentally }
1998 - 2nd round { played Tunisia in the group }
2006 - Quarter Finals

The last 3 world cups in Europe they've produced fair results and they were robbed imo in 1998.

Poms will have some luck this time around and they deserve it.

A lot of French players Are in form, especially griezmann. The game versus France could get ugly

England may go better without the weight of expectation that comes with the england shirt normally
No, instead they have the weight of their whinging nation. It's not the greatest England squad but you'd think they'd named a League One all stars squad the way they're carrying on

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart), Adil Rami (Marseille), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City), Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea), Steven Nzonzi (Sevilla)

Forwards: Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona), Florian Thauvin (Marseille), Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Reserves: Mathieu Debuchy (Saint-Etienne), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur), Alexandre Lacazette (Arsenal), Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla), Lucas Digne (Barcelona), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Benoit Costil (Bordeaux), Adrien Rabiot (Paris Saint-Germain), Mamadou Sakho (Crystal Palace), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea)

Unreal squad and for me the 2018 Champions.

No, instead they have the weight of their whinging nation. It's not the greatest England squad but you'd think they'd named a League One all stars squad the way they're carrying on
It is pretty s**t. On the flip side, I don't know what they were expecting really. Apart from possibly Shelvey and a different CB, I don't think there was any great omissions.

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart), Adil Rami (Marseille), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City), Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea), Steven Nzonzi (Sevilla)

Forwards: Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona), Florian Thauvin (Marseille), Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Reserves: Mathieu Debuchy (Saint-Etienne), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur), Alexandre Lacazette (Arsenal), Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla), Lucas Digne (Barcelona), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Benoit Costil (Bordeaux), Adrien Rabiot (Paris Saint-Germain), Mamadou Sakho (Crystal Palace), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea)

I think all the reserves would make our team, probably only Aaron Mooy would make it to the French 23 man squad

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no Brades. You’ve triggered Jodly.
Serious man love for TAA ;)

That France squad sums up the gap between the best in europe and England.
England pick Welbeck, Young who are gash. Cahill and Rose who’ve been on the outer and 3 untried keepers... France can leave out Martial, Ben Yedder, Lacazette...

That's a very underwhelming team England have these days. Round of 16 for them

So they'll go out against Colombia, Poland, Japan or Senegal?

Impressive indeed but if there's one country in world football where the overall squad strength is no guarantee for success, it is France.

So they'll go out against Colombia, Poland, Japan or Senegal?

Impressive indeed but if there's one country in world football where the overall squad strength is no guarantee for success, it is France.
Colombia should beat them, Poland would go close

Colombia should beat them, Poland would go close

I would expect England to get done by Brazil, Spain, France and Germany but that's about it. Below those 4, there's a bag of countries that can disappoint (like Portugal at the Euros) or unexpectedly go all the way (like Portugal at the Euros).

Colombia don't look like world beaters either at the moment. Very difficult to predict the outcome right now.

Hahahahaah. Your hatred of LFC is hilarious. Always makes me laugh.
I don't hate LFC, you just assume anyone who doesn't dote on their every pass is someone who hates them. Look at how Rashford tore him a new a-hole. That has been happening all year, he's defensively at a championship level. Imagine him going up against Griezmann...

I don't hate LFC, you just assume anyone who doesn't dote on their every pass is someone who hates them. Look at how Rashford tore him a new a-hole. That has been happening all year, he's defensively at a championship level. Imagine him going up against Griezmann...
It's remarkable how wrong you are. But please continue. I love your posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back