News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So, me being a NQ bush boy, I don't really know.
What are the opinions on here regarding our "almost" move to the Junction Oval that didn't happen because of an election result??
Did the footy Gods finally do us a favour?? or would we have preferred our original home??

What are the opinions on here regarding our "almost" move to the Junction Oval that didn't happen because of an election result??
Did the footy Gods finally do us a favour?? or would we have preferred our original home??

Victorian cricket needed a home and they got there first and wouldn't share. They were playing shield matches at the G with 200 people watching. It wasn't worth opening the doors for that. They needed a home and Junction was pretty close so got a new clubhouse and training centre as part of the deal. Getting pushed out of the development there probably helped get us funding for Moorabbin.

Moorabbin is our home. Unfortunately most people would be dead when we played at the junction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian cricket needed a home and they got there first and wouldn't share. They were playing shield matches at the G with 200 people watching. It wasn't worth opening the doors for that. They needed a home and Junction was pretty close so got a new clubhouse and training centre as part of the deal. Getting pushed out of the development there probably helped get us funding for Moorabbin.
Personally am happy for the cricket. Drop in pitches are a drag. They've got a ground that no footy will be played on at all now.

This is only me guessing but I doubt the club ever had real intentions to go back to Junction oval. However the political manuevering around it meant that when cricket australia shut us out officially the word was out about us moving and wanting to put back into the community etc etc.. and then went to the AFL about Moorabbin.

Like going in for a bargaining agreement, you ask for twice as much as what you have but honestly only expect an extra 50%.

Just got a media release saying that Finnis has been appointed to the board of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. Nothing on the web yet.

New Board Member Appointed To VEOHRC
16th Mar 2018

The Andrews Labor Government today announced the appointment of Matthew Finnis to the Board of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC).

Mr Finnis has been the Chief Executive Officer of St Kilda Football Club since 2014, and has a long history of championing equality.

Under his leadership, St Kilda played the first Pride game in professional sport in 2016, to promote inclusion in football and celebrate diversity. The same year he was named “Straight Ally of the Year” in the Globe Community Awards.

Prior to joining St Kilda, Mr Finnis was the CEO of the AFL Players’ Association, where he gained respect for tirelessly promoting the long-term health, professional development and financial security of football players.

Mr Finnis was previously the Chair of Ladder, a football players’ charitable initiative tackling youth homelessness. He was also a founding director of HeartKids Australia, a charity supporting children with congenital heart disease.

Before working in the AFL, Mr Finnis was a commercial lawyer, advising numerous sporting organisations, businesses, sportspeople and government.

Quotes attributable to Attorney-General Martin Pakula

“Matthew Finnis is greatly respected for his work promoting diversity and promoting players’ long-term interests in the AFL, and I look forward to his contribution to VEOHRC.”

“VEOHRC plays a vital role in preventing discrimination and ensuring all Victorians are treated fairly.”

This is only me guessing but I doubt the club ever had real intentions to go back to Junction oval. However the political manuevering around it meant that when cricket australia shut us out officially the word was out about us moving and wanting to put back into the community etc etc.. and then went to the AFL about Moorabbin.

Like going in for a bargaining agreement, you ask for twice as much as what you have but honestly only expect an extra 50%.

I think we were keen, I can't think of the guy from Cricket Vic but he pretty much campaigned to have it as a stand alone venue. In hindsight it was probably best because what we have ended up with isn't a half good compromise as far as a training venue goes. We get priority over the venue where with cricket we would have been training on outer ovals and had to schedule gym sessions etc around the cricketers.

I think we were keen, I can't think of the guy from Cricket Vic but he pretty much campaigned to have it as a stand alone venue. In hindsight it was probably best because what we have ended up with isn't a half good compromise as far as a training venue goes. We get priority over the venue where with cricket we would have been training on outer ovals and had to schedule gym sessions etc around the cricketers.

Yeah, the club was definitely keen. It was their preferred option and they got the then-Liberal government on board, but it was close to the 2014 election and Labor announced that if they won, they'd clear the whole facility for cricket. I think it was a blessing in disguise for the reasons you say.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a/news-story/38724cf69fa31d90aa91c00c9b7ffa15

AFL Wheelchair league: How does it work? Who’s in the AFL wheelchair league? VWFL, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, St Kilda

Herald Sun

FIVE AFL clubs will this year launch a new wheelchair football league open to those with a physical disability, mobility issues and able-bodied people interested in competing.

Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond and St Kilda will compete in the league, named the Robert Rose Foundation Victorian Wheelchair Football League (VWFL), with 10 rounds to be played from May to August. The grand final will be played during the AFL’s pre-finals bye.

The statewide league will be the first opportunity for those with a physical disability to play AFL in a regular competition.

The league’s mission, in conjunction with Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR), will focus on promoting social inclusion and give more Victorians the opportunity to play sport.

The matches will be played on a basketball court with five players allowed on the court from each team at one time, while matches can also be played featuring three per side as a minimum. There will be no restriction on the number of players allowed on the bench.

92cbc02bab39e9888f3683cf47776b5f

AFL clubs have already named captains fo the VWFL teams. Picture: Essendon FC
Matches will feature four 10-minute quarters with no time-on, with a size five synthetic Sherrin to be used as the official ball.

Players will be assigned to set positions — forward, centre and defence — during games.

There is no kicking in the VWFL, with a handball the equivalent of a kick, and players are permitted to throw the ball using a single-handed underarm pass.

“Our mission at AFL Victoria is to be the most accessible sport for all Victorians, and the creation of this league is just another example of how we are working towards ensuring that every Victorian has the chance to play our great game,” AFL Victoria chief executive Steven Reaper said.

“In addition to our other disability programs we offer such as AFL Blind and the Victorian FIDA Football League, the establishment of the VWFL means that those people with a physical disability who never thought they would play AFL now have the chance to do so.

10848813a8e33253539d361702d3c9aa

VWFL captains outside Collingwood for the launch of the new league.
“In addition, DSR’s expertise in disability sport will be invaluable in managing and administering the teams in the VWFL. They have been at the forefront of AFL Wheelchair since its beginnings, and we’re delighted to work with them to assist the broader development of the sport in the future.”

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said the club is excited to be involved.

“This is a fantastic initiative and we are proud to be one of the foundation clubs of the VWFL,” he said.

“Our club has a vision of being the most inclusive, successful and respected sporting organisation in Australia, and the creation of VWFL provides an important pathway for people with a disability to play the game they love.”

Hawthorn’s proposed new facility at Dingley will provide a home base for the club’s wheelchair team.

“Being granted a licence gives Hawthorn further opportunity to promote awareness, positivity and social change for not only the disabled community, but the entire Hawthorn family,” Hawks chief executive Justin Reeves said.

Round 1 of the VWFL season will commence on Sunday May 6 at Boroondara Sports Complex.

IMO.....the move to the Junction oval was never going to happen........from memory....we would have moved into the pavilion over the road from the Junction Oval.

I wondered at the time whether the Junction was a "smokescreen" while behind the scenes stuff....a possible move back to Moorabbin was talked about by the "movers and shakers"!!

It was a brilliant move by those concerned....we couldn't afford to get back on our own but it could be done if several other sporting groups came into the picture......that ensured the funding from the various levels of Govt and the AFL.

This is only me guessing but I doubt the club ever had real intentions to go back to Junction oval. However the political manuevering around it meant that when cricket
I thought the same thing Nutsngum....just did a post on that subject.

I remember a training session/family afternoon at Moorabbin early 2015.........a Q & A session was being done ....then Matt Finnis took the mike for questions..... he talked about the Junction oval and that someone gave him a Junction oval badge a few days earlier..........then he talked about the memories of Moorabbin.

It was nothing more than a gut feeling....but the way he was talking about Moorabbin made me think....."we're coming back"

Tony Dodemaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? They lose millions from people going over there to watch games

Tasmania already has plenty of tourists. Without the sponsorship, the test is would the Hawks come over to service their 7,000 members in Tasmania?

Tasmania already has plenty of tourists. Without the sponsorship, the test is would the Hawks come over to service their 7,000 members in Tasmania?

I’m yet to know a state who has more than enough visitors. I have no idea why the state wouldn’t continue to sponsor them if it helped the state

If it wasn't for Archie Fraser making the most nonsensical decision in our club's history then we would never have left Moorabbin!
I assume they were trying to emulate Geelong. Maybe the next Dangerfield would be from Franga and would request a trade to us so he could hang out at Dromana Drivein with his old mates on weeknights. Great way to alienate your old fans though. Bit like when Bob Dylan went electric, but a bit less successful.

I’m yet to know a state who has more than enough visitors. I have no idea why the state wouldn’t continue to sponsor them if it helped the state

what is happening in Tasmania is that football is dying slowly. This is big news here. Where are the Ian Stewarts, the Darrel Baldocks, the Riewoldts, the Matty Richardsons, the Brent Crosswells, the Peter Hudsons, and the Royce Harts of the future going to come from? These players would comfortably fit in the best ever players in the AFL. In the last three years, only one Tasmanian was drafted. My preferred club closed in 1997. This year Devonport and Burnie left the Statewide League. No need to do anything, because it is now too late. But hey, we get to see Hawthorn and North. Tasmania can't afford its own team but a little upport form the AFL would help. I would liek to see the $1m per game we pay to Hawthorn go to grassroots footy.

what is happening in Tasmania is that football is dying slowly. This is big news here. Where are the Ian Stewarts, the Darrel Baldocks, the Riewoldts, the Matty Richardsons, the Brent Crosswells, the Peter Hudsons, and the Royce Harts of the future going to come from? These players would comfortably fit in the best ever players in the AFL. In the last three years, only one Tasmanian was drafted. My preferred club closed in 1997. This year Devonport and Burnie left the Statewide League. No need to do anything, because it is now too late. But hey, we get to see Hawthorn and North. Tasmania can't afford its own team but a little upport form the AFL would help. I would liek to see the $1m per game we pay to Hawthorn go to grassroots footy.
move the suns to tassie

You pay hawthorn 3 million but that is chicken feed. It would need more than that. Heard someone speak about this the other day and said the fault lies with Scotty wade and the rest who made the decision to combine the 3 comps. Doesn’t sound like it’s hawthorn or north doing. If the government are getting 30 million worth of value for 3 it isn’t going to be stopped. Footy obviously needs help down there. That there is no doubt

The only way it improves if all the Tasmanian leagues sit down together with AFL and vote for unified competition.
that has great Auskick & junior development , a lot of the kids leave the state seeking jobs on the mainland.

Good Luck.

Tony Dodemaide

Yeah Plugger is right, it was Graff, he was all over the media running a hate campaign against sharing the facility. Anyway worked out for the best all round. Moorabbin looks like it's the right move only with a little bit of a sidetrack via Seaford to get to it.

I assume they were trying to emulate Geelong. Maybe the next Dangerfield would be from Franga and would request a trade to us so he could hang out at Dromana Drivein with his old mates on weeknights. Great way to alienate your old fans though. Bit like when Bob Dylan went electric, but a bit less successful.

It looked more like Archie got that fiery Scotty temper up at some councillor called Titsy Topsy or something that had a hatred of poker machines. He did the development equivalent of setting himself on fire outside the council chambers instead. Showed her, stupid hippy.

Yeah Plugger is right, it was Graff, he was all over the media running a hate campaign against sharing the facility. Anyway worked out for the best all round. Moorabbin looks like it's the right move only with a little bit of a sidetrack via Seaford to get to it.

Not going to argue about it really happy for Moorabbin in many ways .

Just Suggest

Look up 10th April 2014 .... Dodemaide met with everyone AFL included as boss of Cricket Victoria.

Except one St Kilda Football Club was not interested in sharing venue .

Heard him speak about it publicly too was very clear was all about Cricket.

Agree with George ..Moorabbin is game changer for club for me

Close to public transport .

Ability to run public functions from Venue due to location .

Long term player academy pathway with its partners

Not going to argue about it really happy for Moorabbin in many ways .

Just Suggest

Look up 10th April 2014 .... Dodemaide met with everyone AFL included as boss of Cricket Victoria.

Except one St Kilda Football Club was not interested in sharing venue .

Heard him speak about it publicly too was very clear was all about Cricket.

Agree with George ..Moorabbin is game changer for club for me

Close to public transport .

Ability to run public functions from Venue due to location .

Long term player academy pathway with its partners

Shaun Graff was inthe media a lot. I'm sure he wasn't a renegade and was just voicing the same things Dodemaide was too. The guy I was thinking of was Graff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back