2nds 2018 Stand Alone VFL - Inaugural season over. Time for reviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

So TT struggled? I feel like there has been an underwhelming amount of news coming out of this game.

To be fair I wasn't there just using big footy as a way of seeing

Nah, not really. He just trailed a Werribee bloke all day. You can see that his decision making and disposal are top shelf, laid a few good tackles, and he got crunched a couple of times and bounced straight back up, but folks should be warned not to expect too much for at least 12-18 months.

You can back it in that his hype will see absurd expectations and calls for his delisting by the resident nuffies.

Peter Jackson VFL 2018

Werribee 5.2 9.5 15.6 20.12 (132)
North Melbourne 3.7 5.10 7.13 11.16 (82)

GOALS:
Werribee: Hooper 4 Sharp 3 Gribble 2 Bennett 2 Carlin 2 Gray Moloney Buykx McFarlane Munro Sodomaco Maishman
North Melbourne: Northe 4 Larkey 2 Narrier Junker Jansen McKay Rippon

BEST:
Werribee: McFarlane Sodomaco Aylett Hooper Brew Bennett
North Melbourne: Rippon Northe Mountford Morgan Jansen McKay

Peter Jackson VFL 2018

Werribee 5.2 9.5 15.6 20.12 (132)
North Melbourne 3.7 5.10 7.13 11.16 (82)

GOALS:
Werribee: Hooper 4 Sharp 3 Gribble 2 Bennett 2 Carlin 2 Gray Moloney Buykx McFarlane Munro Sodomaco Maishman
North Melbourne: Northe 4 Larkey 2 Narrier Junker Jansen McKay Rippon

BEST:
Werribee: McFarlane Sodomaco Aylett Hooper Brew Bennett
North Melbourne: Rippon Northe Mountford Morgan Jansen McKay

Any VFL guys worth a look G.R. ?

Any VFL guys worth a look G.R. ?
The usual suspects along with Rippo in CJ and Nash Holmes. Maxxy Hayes moves ok too. I guess there might be a few other names to throw up, but this may just be their level.

Nah, not really. He just trailed a Werribee bloke all day. You can see that his decision making and disposal are top shelf, laid a few good tackles, and he got crunched a couple of times and bounced straight back up, but folks should be warned not to expect too much for at least 12-18 months.

You can back it in that his hype will see absurd expectations and calls for his delisting by the resident nuffies.
The voice of common sense.

Mounford is AFL quality. Would hate to see us lose him in a trade. Has speed, balance, poise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why can't he get a game in our side?

This is the NMFC, players don't hit their peak until at least 25 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sounds about right, same as the ridiculous expectations of Wellsy his entire career.

Why can't he get a game in our side?

3c6794d7ec96ce9cc7d7a9b0c555e4f7.gif

Yep yep and yep. Had a couple of overhead marks he looked to let slip through his grasp, but genuinely at about the same time as some Werribee nuffy would crunch into his back. Got straight up without a look or complaint and went again if he had to. A diving smother, a diving attempted spoil and his tackles stuck, not heavy or strong enough to massively have an impact, but he hung on. Is definitely a smooth mover. I guess we all went there and expected this kid to be Carey and take ahold of the game, but I presume its a step up for him, he got crunched a few times, never lowered his head, he listened to his teammates when being given instruction. He'll be alright.

I reckon that that was the most physical game of the year. Blokes on both sides were getting smashed and bashed and crunched, it was massive in that regard. G.Narrier snaffled a very nice 1 hander in the 1st quarter, outbodied his opponent and stuck out the right duke. Goaled from it too, nice start. Probably the most active I have seen JWill as well. Tackled and chased and tackled again. Had a bit of a semi heckling semi fanclub group of lads for a large part of the day.
Morgan ran tirelessly. Is obviously quite competitive and showed a fantastic turn of pace with a several bounce run. Managed to wriggle out of a tackle half way through it as well. Looked a bit cooked at the end but has missed a bit of footy lately and was to be expected tbf. Junker started forward and grabbed a couple, while the bounce of the ball seemed to elude Larkey all day. Copped a whack or bump, missed it due to a nappy change :) but had a concussion test and hobbled back onto the ground after passing that.
Any thought that these blokes were not trying is wrong. After our early goals in the last, a Werribee player marked maybe 30 out in their forward line. Well Hibbo was ropable, and whoevers man he was copped a deathstare that left them with no confusion about what Hibbo thought. Nielson with a chase and lunging dive 28 minutes gone in the last. Tom Murphy seemed quite, tried a couple of pinpoint passes that were just intercepted .... woulda been awesome had they landed though. Seemed like JWill needed a bit of work on his back towards the end of the game. Larkey was hobbling, King Kyron got a fair bit of work on his hip/top of his leg?? Bid X won a tap out and then ran onto the ball and kicked inside 50 on his left. Seems like it was the 1st time I have seen a ruckman do this all year. Dunno, was a funny kind of game. Our backline was under constant attack it seemed.
Nick Rippon has got better and better as the year has gone on, he was good again today, stand out good. Nashy Holmes was bashed and smashed and god alone knows how he keeps going. Same with CJ. Got a gash to his bonce, some stitches perhaps, and a headband that matched the tape across his shoulders, and he would run back on time and again. Was still good enough to toss back a spectators ball when coming back from getting his stitches. Max Hayes looks likely, certainly a good size with good movement.That said, big Preussy did likewise, threw a spectators ball back that is, and a special thank you to JWill for fetching my little mates footy from beneath the bunch of camera near the bench.
A very special thank you to the ladies who quite obviously watch my little mate run and kick his footy on the forecourse of the stands week in week out. Not only have they watched our gear several times, helped retrieve my little mates footy, they have now gifted him a brand new little footy!! Fantastic, thank you ladies :)

Last edited:
Yep yep and yep. Had a couple of overhead marks he looked to let slip through his grasp, but genuinely at about the same time as some Werribee nuffy would crunch into his back. Got straight up without a look or complaint and went again if he had to. A diving smother, a diving attempted spoil and his tackles stuck, not heavy or strong enough to massively have an impact, but he hung on. Is definitely a smooth mover. I guess we all went there and expected this kid to be Carey and take ahold of the game, but I presume its a step up for him, he got crunched a few times, never lowered his head, he listened to his teammates when being given instruction. He'll be alright.

He’ll sleep well tonight. Was absolutely knackered in the last qtr.

I don't think a single person expects him to be Carey - that is nonsense talk.

The discussion is around whether TT is potentially good enough that we should take him with our first pick/trade/match picks such that we effectively use a first pick on him.

We have been burned badly with LMac under the same conditions - to make the same mistake again would be the sign of a club that lacks footy nous.

For mine TT looks like a player with huge upside in the right environment. North is that environment.

I suspect we have already dealt our hand and I am comfortable with that as we are getting a combination of Polec and TT with our first picks.

TT is a risk but a risk worth taking.

Forgot to mention, started of sitting next to Cam Joyce and his boys, Will Walker hobbled along on his crutches and then R. Tarrant just glided in looking like he was about to meet up with Audrey Hepburn. EVW strolled up a bit later and started running again last week, though was disappointed for Walker being on crutches. Julia Gillard walked by, obviously hopeful that anyone could get a gig at The Lodge thee days. Benny Brown showed up and spent a great part of the afternoon having his photo taken. Ryan Clarke strolled through as well, as it goes :)

I don't think a single person expects him to be Carey - that is nonsense talk.

The discussion is around whether TT is potentially good enough that we should take him with our first pick/trade/match picks such that we effectively use a first pick on him.

We have been burned badly with LMac under the same conditions - to make the same mistake again would be the sign of a club that lacks footy nous.

For mine TT looks like a player with huge upside in the right environment. North is that environment.

I suspect we have already dealt our hand and I am comfortable with that as we are getting a combination of Polec and TT with our first picks.

TT is a risk but a risk worth taking.
It was just a turn of phrase. This kid has been talked up all year and although it would be silly to realistically expect it, there would no doubt be hope that he would , again for perhaps a better choice of words, star in this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back