2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before word came out about Neale & Wallis being linked to us, I was happy with our development this year, happy with how the club is being managed, and happy taking picks 5 & 25 along with the rest, to the draft.

If neither Wallis or Neale get to us, i'll still be just as happy as I was before I knew anything about it.

If we do get Neale, I trust the club will do a fair deal & I'll be happy.

There's no guarantees in life. Pick 5 could turn out to be Tamblingesque for reasons beyond our control.

Personally, I was never all that keen on Wallis. Would have been nice to get something for nothing, but not likely to make a big impact.

Wallis played forward a lot this year and averaged a goal a game as well as 20 disposals per game - pretty excellent stats for a foward/mid.

CEY has played 29 games in his entire career. It's fine not to love wallis but thinking CEY is nearly as accomplished or as good a player is pretty off imo.
Believe the reply was CEY was a Z grader compared to Wallis. If they are excellent stats we can just bring Bastinac back in because last year that is what he was averaging.......

I'm not keen but in saying that we'd all fall in love with him and he'd be universally recognized on our board as a "good bloke" just like our boys Hodgey and Mitch Robbo if we got him.
The Chad from 3 years ago maybe but he’s too inconsistent and lacking effort to overcome his tier 1 douchebag status

Why is the metric for recruiting Neale whether we will make the top 8 in the next two years or whatever? Why do people assume that more top picks are always the right thing to do?
Because much of the discussion surrounding the Neale speculation has been about the fast tracking of our rebuild or improvement this trade period, at the expense of the clubs stated stance from the past 24 months, where repeatedly both Noble and Swann have said in the media that it was the clubs plan to go to the draft for three consecutive years and bring in as much top end talent as possible, and then look to trades after.

As for the first sentence, speaking for myself, I always thought bringing young draftees was "playing the long game", where improvement would be slow and gradual to start with and then increase significantly in a shorter time frame.

I'm concerned as much by Neale not being around in 2023 (when he will be 30 and will probably still have a few prime years left) as I am by those young guys having to shoulder the entire load in 2020-2021 when Dayne Beams/Zorks are retired or playing reduced amounts in the midfield. The lack of immediate improvement may also not assist us in hanging on to McCluggage, Berry and Witherden in a few years time whereas a few more wins help assist with retention and attracting other talent.

As I've said previously, I have my limits on what I'd give up for Neale but I don't think our list build should always involve hanging on to top picks. No doubt that is not a view shared by all but personally I'm sick of being excited for the draft and looking for success in 'a few years.' We've been in the bottom four for 4 straight years, its time we started actually winning games.
I did address much of this in my initial post. I'm more confident in bringing in short term, experienced players in the mold of Luke Hodge to do a job, at a much more reasonable cost in terms of draft picks, or free agents, than I am in possibly mortgaging the future on a player for the now.

Also I'm somewhat concerned at the speculation of Neale's potential cost. As a 25/26 year old who is a contracted player with 1 year left on his contract, pick 5 I'm fine with, or two picks in the 10 to 15 range I'm fine with. Anything over, I view as potentially having a negative impact on our long term future.

I look at Brisbane as a non destination club due to our geographical location in the AFL context, so am very skeptical of the club being able to lure, in their prime, or nearing their prime, non QLD A or B grade contracted players, restricted free agents and free agents every year.

So for me, the draft is 100% the main instrument we have as a club to bring in elite talent, albeit it does take longer to develop our own talent rather trading in ready players.

As Dylan12 mentioned previously, the potential use/loss of two draft picks in a Neale trade, looked to be offset by also adding Mitch Wallis as free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because much of the discussion surrounding the Neale speculation has been about the fast tracking of our rebuild or improvement this trade period, at the expense of the clubs stated stance from the past 24 months, where repeatedly both Noble and Swann have said in the media that it was the clubs plan to go to the draft for three consecutive years and bring in as much top end talent as possible, and then look to trades after.

As for the first sentence, speaking for myself, I always thought bringing young draftees was "playing the long game", where improvement would be slow and gradual to start with and then increase significantly in a shorter time frame.

I did address much of this in my initial post. I'm more confident in bringing in short term, experienced players in the mold of Luke Hodge to do a job, at a much more reasonable cost in terms of draft picks, or free agents, than I am in possibly mortgaging the future on a player for the now.

Also I'm somewhat concerned at the speculation of Neale's potential cost. As a 25/26 year old who is a contracted player with 1 year left on his contract, pick 5 I'm fine with, or two picks in the 10 to 15 range I'm fine with. Anything over, I view as potentially having a negative impact on our long term future.

I look at Brisbane as a non destination club due to our geographical location in the AFL context, so am very skeptical of the club being able to lure, in their prime, or nearing their prime, non QLD A or B grade contracted players, restricted free agents and free agents every year.

So for me, the draft is 100% the main instrument we have as a club to bring in elite talent, albeit it does take longer to develop our own talent rather trading in ready players.

As Dylan12 mentioned previously, the potential use/loss of two draft picks in a Neale trade, looked to be offset by also adding Mitch Wallis as free agent.
Great post Briz, it’s all about cost/benefit and some lose perspective when it’s comes to player.

I think we’d all love Neale but like you say what’s a “fair” price to give up. Our last couple of drafts have been pretty special so I’m not sure in 5 years time we’ll be any better off having taken Neale. Might win another couple of games but the lure of another McCluggage/Berry/Rayner excites me more

i am usually on the same wavelength as you but not this time. Bulldogs showed what can be done in 2016. I am a great believer that if you are good enough you are old enough.

In response to Jason PM

I know if might be an unpopular view but having lost the chase for Wallis. I would be happy to add Reece Conca as a free agent. Top talent, always gives 100%, fills the age gap we have and could give us valuable insight into another flag winning team. To a lesser extent then Hodge but still valuable. Only concern would be his track record of injuries so a passing of medical a big need.

Just pointing out that your player rating for Wallis at a C+ while talking up probably the 6/7th best midfielder at Adelaide calls into question your grading system/footy knowledge
Saying I prefer him to Wallis, who I just said I believe is a C+ is hardly talking him up is it.:drunk: With the rubbish you post, you doubting my football knowledge is not something I am going to concerned about.

Wallis was perfect for our list. People really saying we could have gotten a better player in this years draft at pick 50, or that Wallis is a C grader obviously don't know much about football. I'm actually astonished to be sitting here reading that drivel.

Agree with most of your post, except the last bit. You're astonished to be reading drivel on big footy?

Wallis was perfect for our list. People really saying we could have gotten a better player in this years draft at pick 50, or that Wallis is a C grader obviously don't know much about football. I'm actually astonished to be sitting here reading that drivel.
My family are majority bulldogs supporters, I watch a lot of dogs games and I have to disagree. He hasn't reached any sort of heights since his injury. He's also been dropped a few times over the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Wallis is a dud or anything like that but if he's above C grade why has his place in a rebuilding Dogs side not been 100% guaranteed? A player like Mitch Wallis would have had no bearing over our trajectory towards a premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back