Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

here is the write up from the west about today's intraclub:

TRAINING NOTES: West Coast Eagles young gun Jarrod Brander pressing claims for Round One

After separating the best of the Eagles’ midfield brigade for most of the session, the coaching staff got a look at what their best might be come round one ... and it looks dangerous.

Nic Naitanui stood out alongside Tim Kelly, Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff in the midfield, with Jarrod Brander and Mark Hutchings on the wings in an imposing sight for seven other clubs.

This powerful midfield was not missing much and it looked smooth, even with the addition of the former Geelong star. Kelly showed slick hands and good pace all session, while Shuey and Gaff did what they always do - win plenty of the ball - as they fed their inexperienced forward line with plenty of opportunities.

Andrew Gaff was part of an experienced midfield.

Brander also looked comfortable on the wing as he looks to earn a spot for round one, while Dom Sheed spent time up forward in a sign he is set for a new role.

Missing Stars

Out of that big midfield, two-time best and fairest winner Elliot Yeo was still missing.

On a light training week, Yeo walked laps with Oscar Allen and Callum Jamieson after doing some running before the game.

Jack Darling, Josh Kennedy and Josh Rotham were also missing from the contest as they prepare for next week’s pre-season game against Essendon. In a good sign for the Eagles, Tom Barrass, was not too hampered by post-season foot surgery in deep defence.

Jamaine Jones again showed potential.

Flyin’ Ryan

The loss of Willie Rioli means there might be more expectation on Liam Ryan and if today’s showing at Mineral Resources Park was anything to go by, he is ready.

The premiership forward took a nice hanger and looked dangerous all game, as he looks to be the number one small forward.

Former Geelong small forward Jamaine Jones also looked good at times with his crumbing efforts, while Jarrod Cameron had his moments, including a good tackle on veteran Will Schofield which resulted in a goal.

i like the idea of William + Nic Nat combo.

It really does leave Waterman in Limbo for a spot though....

How i would like to see line up round 1: ( Minus Gov who might need a week to be fresh)

Hurn Schofield Shep
Jetta Barrass Duggan

Brander Yeo Gaff

Cripps Darling Sheed
Cameron JK Ryan

Ruck: Nic nat, Kelly, Shuey

Bench: Redden, 1 out of ( Watson, Nelson, Cole) , Williams, Pet

Tagger: Redden to play defensive and block for our mids.
HFF: Sheed to rotate with Kelly and Shuey at times.
Watson/Nelson/Cole: Whoever has the best Marsh cup out of those 3.

EDIT: Forgot O Allen ( No doubt will be out injured with his small setback)

How to fit him in? Do we drop Pet or Cameron? Does Pet and Cameron need to be in the same team?
Then When Gov comes back do we need 3 tall defenders?

Interesting times ahead!

This team is probably the closest to the one I have put together too.

Ironically, NicNat coming back pushes Oscar out of the team as rucking more than 25% of the time isn't really an option according to Simmo's interview in the West, and we know that NicNat won't be spending more than 6-5-70 TOG in a good scenario, which means the 2nd Ruck spot is probably better suited to Vardy/Williams/Hickey.

This team is probably the closest to the one I have put together too.

Ironically, NicNat coming back pushes Oscar out of the team as rucking more than 25% of the time isn't really an option according to Simmo's interview in the West, and we know that NicNat won't be spending more than 6-5-70 TOG in a good scenario, which means the 2nd Ruck spot is probably better suited to Vardy/Williams/Hickey.

Tough one with Oscar as he is a gun.

I guess with JK ending sooner than later he will slot back at FF.

"The first intra-club practice match is all about ticking … ticking the legs over and ticking a few boxes.

And the West Coast Eagles match committee would have put one bold tick alongside the box that had today’s intra-club hit-out listed on it."

Did that hurt anyone else's brain or just mine?

"The first intra-club practice match is all about ticking … ticking the legs over and ticking a few boxes.

And the West Coast Eagles match committee would have put one bold tick alongside the box that had today’s intra-club hit-out listed on it."

Get a leg over:heavycheck:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

here is the write up from the west about today's intraclub:

TRAINING NOTES: West Coast Eagles young gun Jarrod Brander pressing claims for Round One

After separating the best of the Eagles’ midfield brigade for most of the session, the coaching staff got a look at what their best might be come round one ... and it looks dangerous.

Nic Naitanui stood out alongside Tim Kelly, Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff in the midfield, with Jarrod Brander and Mark Hutchings on the wings in an imposing sight for seven other clubs.
There must be 10 Other clubs with some ridiculously imposing midfields.

Sponsor or not, I am super excited to see what Brander can produce this year. I’d be really keen to see our wingman hit the scoreboard much more. Gaff was down in that area last year after a really good 2018 and Masto was never a big goal scorer. Brander has the kicking skills to nail them from long range, too.

Sponsor or not, I am super excited to see what Brander can produce this year. I’d be really keen to see our wingman hit the scoreboard much more. Gaff was down in that area last year after a really good 2018 and Masto was never a big goal scorer. Brander has the kicking skills to nail them from long range, too.

Brander is my favourite player that I have never seen play.

Never? *cough... 2012... cough*

But I do get the gist of what you are saying.

It’s giving me a facial tic

Never? *cough... 2012... cough*

But I do get the gist of what you are saying.
I’d completely erased 2012 out of my memory... actually, I remember only 2 things. One that beautiful elimination final against the kangas, and the horrible Clanger of Embley’s in the semi.

20 goals in 2012, to only kicking 33 more in the 7 years after. What an anomaly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back