Caleb Serong
Lachlan Ash

2nd pick one of:
Will Day
Elijah Taylor
Kaisaiah Pickett
Mitch O’Neill
Harry Schoenberg

I’d probably add Luke Jackson to that second list, especially if Goldy stays and we don’t trade for a ruckman.

I could see us trading up from the late 20’s to that 20 mark to potentially get him.

He’s the best ruck prospect since English.

I’d probably add Luke Jackson to that second list, especially if Goldy stays and we don’t trade for a ruckman.

I could see us trading up from the late 20’s to that 20 mark to potentially get him.

He’s the best ruck prospect since English.

Like your thinking.

There is something about the way he moves and follows up that makes Jackson really appealing. He ran a 6.40 2km trial at the start of the year which is freakishly good for a ruckman. Has awesome skills, plus a little bit of physicality too. I don’t think it will take him anywhere near as long to mature physically like it will for Tim English. So many positives....

But @198cm he is really big enough to be a genuine full time ruck at AFL level? And...at the champs he was probably against some of the worst ruck opposition I’ve seen in years, does it gives us a bit of a misleading view on how good he is?

I’m happy I’m not a recruiter this year that 10-40 range is very very even.

Current pick from the Bigfooty Phantom Trial

Pick 9 - Lachlan Ash
Pick 27 - Dylan Williams
Pick 45 - Malcolm Rosas Jnr
Pick 69 - Charlie Comben

One running defender, a medium forward/utility, a crumbing speedy small forward and a Tall Forward/Ruckman

Debated a pure ruck with pick 69 but I like the potential of Comben and his physicality for his size compared to other rucks available.

Pick 9 - Lachlan Ash
Pick 27 - Dylan Williams
Pick 69 - Charlie Comben

One running defender, a medium forward/utility, a crumbing speedy small forward and a Tall Forward/Ruckman

Debated a pure ruck with pick 69 but I like the potential of Comben and his physicality for his size compared to other rucks available.

We. Need. A. Young. Key. Defender!!!!!

Pick 9 - Lachlan Ash
Pick 27 - Dylan Williams
Pick 69 - Charlie Comben

Well done eDPS. Hard to complain about that draft.

If we took another genuine speedy raw mid & key position/ruck in the rookie draft it would be a job well done.

Whats your thoughts on Malcolm Rosas Jnr? Personally wouldn't have had him going until a fair bit later in the national draft. I think he will be a slow burn because of how small he is. I don't think I could see him having an impact like Jarrod Cameron this year.

Durdin and McKay no good?

Declan Watson will probably be delisted at years end. Durdin is uncontracted for next year and not guaranteed to get another contract. Thompson not contracted for next season either (should go round again). McKay's form is still a bit hit and miss. Daw is obviously still a big unknown considering the injuries he sustained.

Considering Thompson & Tarrant's age. It would make sense to take a key defender in this draft.

Same goes for the forward line. Outside of Larkey & Brown the cupboard is pretty bare for developing tall forwards.

Well done eDPS. Hard to complain about that draft.

If we took another genuine speedy raw mid & key position/ruck in the rookie draft it would be a job well done.

Whats your thoughts on Malcolm Rosas Jnr? Personally wouldn't have had him going until a fair bit later in the national draft. I think he will be a slow burn because of how small he is. I don't think I could see him having an impact like Jarrod Cameron this year.
Cheers mate I’ve had to pass on players I really like in order to try and go for needs haha

Personally I’m taking Rosas that early because of his enormous upside and was easily the best small forward available at that pick. Recent history would say you can get star small forwards later on but that doesn’t mean you should going forward especially seeing how much they can be worth once established.

I think Rosas performed extremely well in the champs considering he played for arguably the worst side in the champs that often struggled to get the ball in with any sort of accuracy and I feel he would have had far more scoring opportunities if he played for say WA.

Caleb Serong an AFL draft prospect with ‘no flaws’, say experts

Caleb Serong doesn’t let comparisons with Robbie Gray and Tom Papley go to his head. But one expert says the draft prospect has ‘no flaws’.
CHRIS CAVANAGH, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

Caleb Serong is flattered when he is compared to Port Adelaide’s Robbie Gray and Sydney’s Tom Papley, but does not let it get to his head.
“It’s pretty nice to hear that,” Serong said.

“Robbie Gray’s someone I’ve tried to watch a bit the last few years because he’s an elite forward and midfielder so playing those two positions and being a bit smaller as well, he’s definitely someone I’ve watched.
“But once I’m out there I’m just Caleb Serong and trying to play like me.”

Being his own player is working well for the 18-year-old, who has been a highly-touted AFL draft prospect for more than 12 months but has further solidified his standing this year.
Serong was the second-ranked player by Champion Data in the AFL Under-18 National Championships behind possible No.1 draft pick Matthew Rowell, averaging 130 SuperCoach points across his four matches for Vic Country.
The midfielder-forward also averaged 22 disposals, 5.5 marks, 5.3 clearances and 8.5 tackles from those games, as well as kicking three goals.
AFL draft prospect Caleb Serong celebrates a goal for Vic Country during the AFL Under 18 National Championships this year. Picture: Michael Dodge/Getty Images
AFL draft prospect Caleb Serong celebrates a goal for Vic Country during the AFL Under 18 National Championships this year. Picture: Michael Dodge/Getty Images

“I liken him to Tom Papley,” AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said.

“He’s clean, he’s a great kick, works hard through the midfield on the inside and the outside. He’s a goalkicker as well and such a consistent player in the big games.

“He’s got a low centre of gravity, he’s powerfully-built, quick, strong overhead for his 178cm height and just has no flaws in his make-up.”

Serong does not know his family tree off by heart, but does know he is some relation to Bill Serong, a centreman who played 114 games for Collingwood and North Melbourne between 1956 and 1962.

Growing up in Warragul, the teenager was also a handy cricketer before football took priority.

“I was 50-50 footy and cricket growing up and the last couple of year’s footy’s definitely taken a preference,” Serong said.

“I enjoy footy a lot more.”

Currently completing Year 12 at Geelong Grammar, Serong has a focus on school as he hopes to begin a commerce or accounting course at university next year regardless of his AFL prospects.

However, he is also continuing to work on his midfield craft both with school football and NAB League club Gippsland Power.

“I love going up forward as well but I think this year I’ve played a bit more time in the midfield,” Serong said.
“It’s been good to play some consistent footy.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After playing in the winning u18 comp. Luke played for the colts on the weekend. Had a lazy 38 hitouts. Could be a chance to play league this weekend.

One year on from the toughest decision of his life, Luke Jackson is “100 per cent” confident he made the right call choosing football over basketball.
Last year was a juggling act for the Canning Vale teen, who helped WA win gold at the under-18 basketball championships, then guided Australia’s under-16 team to gold at the FIBA Asian Championships before finishing as the second-best rebounder at the under-17 World Cup in Argentina.
Then there was football, which included two games for WA at the national under-18s carnival, AFL Academy commitments and finishing the season playing WAFL colts for East Fremantle.

Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Saturday, 15 June 2019 2:00AM

The raw, exciting ruck prodigy has improved markedly since focusing on one sport and getting a huge weight off his shoulders, working with West Coast premiership ruckman Mark Seaby.
“This year I’ve shown I can play more up forward as well as in the ruck,” Jackson said.
“Doing stuff with Seabs has helped a lot and it’s been good to put all my effort into the one sport.
“I felt like I had more opportunities playing footy and I really enjoy it more and more every time I play, and staying in Australia with friends and family was a pretty big factor as well.”
Seaby said Jackson was “progressing rapidly” and likened his follow-up work and tackling to that of GWS Giants big man Shane Mumford and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy.
He felt the Willetton Senior High School student had the greatest potential of any ruckman he’d coached in his four years with the WA State 18s program.
“His ruck technique has improved, especially his centre-bounce work, the way he’s learning to protect himself at centre bounces,” Seaby said.
“His potential is still a bit unknown because he’s still pretty raw to the game, but athletically he’s got all the attributes needed to excel at the highest level.
“His desire to compete is strong enough as well. It’s just a matter of him playing more football and learning the game better.
“I had the privilege of working with (Western Bulldog) Tim English as well.
“Tim at the same stage was probably a bit more of an all-rounded footballer because he’d been playing for longer, but Luke’s probably got greater physical attributes than Tim at this stage.
“He’s probably got the greatest potential that I’ve seen come through, in terms of where he’s at now and what he can achieve in the future.
“He’s got similar traits to those ruckmen that act almost like an extra midfielder at stoppages.
“He’s not at the level of those guys in terms of general football ability, but just his want to compete and follow-up.”

After playing in the winning u18 comp. Luke played for the colts on the weekend. Had a lazy 38 hitouts. Could be a chance to play league this weekend.

One year on from the toughest decision of his life, Luke Jackson is “100 per cent” confident he made the right call choosing football over basketball.
Last year was a juggling act for the Canning Vale teen, who helped WA win gold at the under-18 basketball championships, then guided Australia’s under-16 team to gold at the FIBA Asian Championships before finishing as the second-best rebounder at the under-17 World Cup in Argentina.
Then there was football, which included two games for WA at the national under-18s carnival, AFL Academy commitments and finishing the season playing WAFL colts for East Fremantle.

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian

The raw, exciting ruck prodigy has improved markedly since focusing on one sport and getting a huge weight off his shoulders, working with West Coast premiership ruckman Mark Seaby.
“This year I’ve shown I can play more up forward as well as in the ruck,” Jackson said.
“Doing stuff with Seabs has helped a lot and it’s been good to put all my effort into the one sport.
“I felt like I had more opportunities playing footy and I really enjoy it more and more every time I play, and staying in Australia with friends and family was a pretty big factor as well.”
Seaby said Jackson was “progressing rapidly” and likened his follow-up work and tackling to that of GWS Giants big man Shane Mumford and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy.
He felt the Willetton Senior High School student had the greatest potential of any ruckman he’d coached in his four years with the WA State 18s program.
“His ruck technique has improved, especially his centre-bounce work, the way he’s learning to protect himself at centre bounces,” Seaby said.
“His potential is still a bit unknown because he’s still pretty raw to the game, but athletically he’s got all the attributes needed to excel at the highest level.
“His desire to compete is strong enough as well. It’s just a matter of him playing more football and learning the game better.
“Tim at the same stage was probably a bit more of an all-rounded footballer because he’d been playing for longer, but Luke’s probably got greater physical attributes than Tim at this stage.
“He’s probably got the greatest potential that I’ve seen come through, in terms of where he’s at now and what he can achieve in the future.
“He’s got similar traits to those ruckmen that act almost like an extra midfielder at stoppages.
“He’s not at the level of those guys in terms of general football ability, but just his want to compete and follow-up.”
Bloody hell. What a freak athlete. How good to make all those rep sides, even when under-aged.

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian

Jackson's gonna be a gun

Pick 9 - Lachlan Ash
Pick 27 - Dylan Williams
Pick 69 - Charlie Comben
We get Ash and Williams and I really don’t care who we get after that. Job well done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back