Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are getting close enough to the end of the year, to start making some more accurate predictions:

I can't see us finishing above the Saints with our draw vs theirs.

Swans are 1 win back, Blues/Dees are 2 wins back.

Carlton are ****ed with that draw, Melbourne are an outside chance to finish above us, it will come down to who wins that last round in Tassie imo. They will do the Swans at home and are chance to even beat someone like Collingwood on the run in.

We it's likely we end up with pick #5, an outside chance of pick #4 imo.

I don't see us ending up with pick #6, unless GC get awarded a before first round PP (Unlikely), I think St Kilda wins 3 more games for the year and the we aren't overtaking the Dogs being 4pts behind and our draw

We have:

Saints:

Swans:

Blues:

Dees:

Based on that we probably get 1 of Young, Kemp or Ash - All good selections.

I haven't seen the prognosis of Kemp's knee injury from the weekend yet, that could throw a spanner in the works.

I think Ash being purely a HBF'er at this stage, probably makes him available at #5 if we wan't him.

We'd be looking at #21 & #22 also, which is likely to potentially drift out to #23 or #24 once you factor in the GC PP (Likely) and some FA compensations.

What's the chances GC get a priority pick?

I would say the chances of the #1 pick would be low. I think most of the footy industry realises it's mostly their own doing and more kids aren't beneficial.

It's time the rest of the comp stops paying to make them competitive, we've just gotten over the GWS/GC draft concession era.

I wouldn't be apposed to a end of first round PP and priority selection of 2 x mautre age players, although this has less value these days with the mid season draft, the best players for the year have mostly been taken. Even multiple end of first round PP's are probably more beneficial than just the #1 pick. the last time they had a single top pick they threw it away trading for a fairly run of the mill kid in Lachie Weller.

Penalising the entire comp's first pick position is too harsh a penalty for the rest of the league imo, I think most people realise this these days.

I just did the ladder predictor, Freo have a harder draw than I realised, I have them finishing below us if we beat Hawthorn or Port & Melb. If we lose to Port or Melb I think we end up with #5.

Freo could propose a problem for someone like Ash, he has the dash that would suit Optus stadium and Freo in general, is a captain from Country Vic as apposed to Metro Vic etc.

I have Rowell, Anderson, Kemp, Young, Ash and Serong as the standout Victorians.

We are probably guaranteed one of them.

GC - will take Rowell.

Adelaide - Is an interesting one, Anderson is a metro kid that might potentially spook Adelaide slightly. Either way he's not slipping past Melbourne @ #3.

Melbourne - I think takes one of Anderson/Kemp. Kemp is the high risk, high reward Bontempelli/Cripps type that Melbourne can afford to take with their current midfield makeup. Young is an option as a ball user out of half back.

Sydney - I see Sydney taking one of Serong or Young, they're both very different types. I can't see Sydney spending their top pick on a flanker with Mills struggling and Heeney more forward than midfielder at the moment. I see Serong likely here, or even a Dylan Stephens.

Fremantle/North - Will probably have the option of Stephens/Serong/Young/Ash, the other gets the left over.

I think Ash and Young would be near North's dream picks for the entire pool, possibly with the exception of someone like Anderson. Kemp would be an interesting choice, but I think we've been crying out for quality users out of half back for a good decade, these are two of the better half back prospects recently and are both Victorian kids.

Ash would kill two birds with one stone, providing elite pace as part of his package. He's a pretty rare prospect in that he has elite kicking skills, elite pace but isn't a low possession getter like most of those types are i.e Ed Richards etc.

Young could very easily end up the #1 player from this draft. He's a very "Hawthorn" type player of the last decade and I could see some teams coming hard for him if he's available at #5.

Last edited:
Pykie...highly unlikely but if Serong Ash and Young were available who would you take?! Serong would be hard to pass up as a all round elite talent... but then again so would Young with his foot skills. Ash I think is a little bit behind those two, but his line breaking ability is appealing.

Any chance we look at Sam Flanders? There isn’t much to dislike about him. Has a bit of explosiveness and is strong overhead. More than capable in the midfield but very crafty around goal too.

Any chance we look at Sam Flanders? There isn’t much to dislike about him. Has a bit of explosiveness and is strong overhead. More than capable in the midfield but very crafty around goal too.

Would also set the platform for 10 years of "Damn Flanders" word plays.

I think we are getting close enough to the end of the year, to start making some more accurate predictions:

I can't see us finishing above the Saints with our draw vs theirs.

Swans are 1 win back, Blues/Dees are 2 wins back.

Carlton are f’ed with that draw, Melbourne are an outside chance to finish above us, it will come down to who wins that last round in Tassie imo. They will do the Swans at home and are chance to even beat someone like Collingwood on the run in.

We it's likely we end up with pick #5, an outside chance of pick #4 imo.

I don't see us ending up with pick #6, unless GC get awarded a before first round PP (Unlikely), I think St Kilda wins 3 more games for the year and the we aren't overtaking the Dogs being 4pts behind and our draw

We have:

View attachment 713288

Saints:

View attachment 713289

Swans:

View attachment 713290

Blues:

View attachment 713291

Dees:

View attachment 713292

Based on that we probably get 1 of Young, Kemp or Ash - All good selections.

I haven't seen the prognosis of Kemp's knee injury from the weekend yet, that could throw a spanner in the works.

I think Ash being purely a HBF'er at this stage, probably makes him available at #5 if we wan't him.

We'd be looking at #21 & #22 also, which is likely to potentially drift out to #23 or #24 once you factor in the GC PP (Likely) and some FA compensations.

You say we are looking at 21&22. Are you factoring in Goldy leaving?

If that's the case, then maybe we could do something with these 2 picks.

Which teams have father/son, academy picks that we can leverage their 1st pick for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say the chances of the #1 pick would be low. I think most of the footy industry realises it's mostly their own doing and more kids aren't beneficial.

It's time the rest of the comp stops paying to make them competitive, we've just gotten over the GWS/GC draft concession era.

I wouldn't be apposed to a end of first round PP and priority selection of 2 x mautre age players, although this has less value these days with the mid season draft, the best players for the year have mostly been taken. Even multiple end of first round PP's are probably more beneficial than just the #1 pick. the last time they had a single top pick they threw it away trading for a fairly run of the mill kid in Lachie Weller.

Penalising the entire comp's first pick position is too harsh a penalty for the rest of the league imo, I think most people realise this these days.

I just did the ladder predictor, Freo have a harder draw than I realised, I have them finishing below us if we beat Hawthorn or Port & Melb. If we lose to Port or Melb I think we end up with #5.

Freo could propose a problem for someone like Ash, he has the dash that would suit Optus stadium and Freo in general, is a captain from Country Vic as apposed to Metro Vic etc.

I have Rowell, Anderson, Kemp, Young, Ash and Serong as the standout Victorians.

We are probably guaranteed one of them.

GC - will take Rowell.

Adelaide - Is an interesting one, Anderson is a metro kid that might potentially spook Adelaide slightly. Either way he's not slipping past Melbourne @ #3.

Melbourne - I think takes one of Anderson/Kemp. Kemp is the high risk, high reward Bontempelli/Cripps type that Melbourne can afford to take with their current midfield makeup. Young is an option as a ball user out of half back.

Sydney - I see Sydney taking one of Serong or Young, they're both very different types. I can't see Sydney spending their top pick on a flanker with Mills struggling and Heeney more forward than midfielder at the moment. I see Serong likely here, or even a Dylan Stephens.

Fremantle/North - Will probably have the option of Stephens/Serong/Young/Ash, the other gets the left over.

I think Ash and Young would be near North's dream picks for the entire pool, possibly with the exception of someone like Anderson. Kemp would be an interesting choice, but I think we've been crying out for quality users out of half back for a good decade, these are two of the better half back prospects recently and are both Victorian kids.

Ash would kill two birds with one stone, providing elite pace as part of his package. He's a pretty rare prospect in that he has elite kicking skills, elite pace but isn't a low possession getter like most of those types are i.e Ed Richards etc.

Young could very easily end up the #1 player from this draft. He's a very "Hawthorn" type player of the last decade and I could see some teams coming hard for him if he's available at #5.

View attachment 713303

#5 would be a good spot to pick from one of Anderson,Rowell,Serong,Ash or Young (Kemps knee has me worried and he may not be MF ready for a few years).

As the pool looks pretty even around the 15-35 range I can envisage a lot of teams trying to uptrade on the night to a mid/late 2nd as decently ranked individuals are still on the board. This may allow us to get involved in some trading especially if we have multiple 2R picks perhaps due to Goldy leaving.

The only concern is the Jack Martin compo imo.

I could see them giving GC a start of second PP to appease the masses, but then load them up on a Martin compo pick, I.e a pick directly after their first pick despite him ticking pretty much none of the criteria.

Pykie...highly unlikely but if Serong Ash and Young were available who would you take?! Serong would be hard to pass up as a all round elite talent... but then again so would Young with his foot skills. Ash I think is a little bit behind those two, but his line breaking ability is appealing.

It's a tough one. They're all different, I think all will be quality players.

Serong - Had a super year and I think he's almost a little underrated. (I'm a culprit of this). It's hard to move pass his size as a potential top 5 pick sometimes, but at the same time he's no different to Lachie Neale or Tom Mitchell in that regard and probably has a more rounded game than either of those two. He racks up large clearance numbers, tackles and kicks bags from the midfield regularly, you could quite easily see him turning into a Toby Greene style half forward at the next level as well if he wasn't an out and out clearance midfielder. I think he'd compliment our midfield well, as he's a genuine 2 way player which you could argue is something that LDU lacks at the minute. I'm interested to see his testing numbers at the combine.

Young - Had a bit of a hot and cold carnival, but is class personified and still earned AA honours at over 22 disposals a game (Testament to his quality I considered that a down tournament). He's probably the best kick of a football the draft has seen for a while, is the architecht/general down back or however you want to describe him. I think he moves further up the ground in time. I think of him of potentially like someone like Eastern Wood with a Luke Hodge style skillset. I'm confident he's going to be one of the better players from this draft, it's not a Mitch Morton or KK type scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if he went at #2 or #3, I could see Adelaide picking him if there are issues with Anderson's "longevity" in Adelaide. Young is a kid from down in Somerville rather than from Kew and Carey Grammar.

Ash - He's been well covered in here, but he ticks a lot of boxes for us. He has a rare combination of Pace/Skill/Productivity for a half back type. Most players only have 2 of those 3 qualities but rarely all of them. Along with Young, he's one of the best users of the ball in the draft, he has elite pace (And he uses it regularly, which is even more important) and unlike most half backs his age, he regularly gets the ball 20+ touches a game. He still gets the odd matches where he gets mid teens, but he's a genuine 100m player and one of the most, if not the most damaging player in the draft with ball in hand. We haven't had a half back of this type since Byron. Atley probably figures in that convo, but Ash is in a different ballpark when it comes to how he uses the ball and breaks open games on a regular basis. It would be great to pair the two of them on opposing half back flanks for the last 4-5 years of Atley's career

I'd be genuinely be happy with any of the 3.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how far he slides.

I'd be interested in a live trade with our second and 2019 picks if he's still there late first round...

HIGHLY rated draft prospect Brodie Kemp looks set for a year on the sidelines after suffering a serious knee injury on the weekend.

The Bendigo Pioneers talent was playing at school level for Geelong Grammar when he went down with the injury, which has been confirmed as a tear to his anterior cruciate ligament.

Kemp, who shaped as a possible top-10 pick before the injury, is likely to have surgery in coming days.

Brodie Kemp in action for the NAB AFL Academy earlier this year. Picture: AFL Photos

665443_ll.jpg

It came after he had starred for Vic Country in the latter stages of the recent NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, including kicking the match-winning goal against South Australia.

Vic Country's talent pathways manager Lee Fraser said it was a blow for Kemp given the form he had produced in the national carnival.

"We thought his Under-18 championships was outstanding. He's able to play in all three areas of the ground and he was enormous for us," Fraser said.

"He's a great kid and he's got a lot of friends and family around him, so he'll have a lot of support in his rehab."

PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Post U18 Champs update

Kemp, who stands at 193cm, spent most of the early part of the season playing as a tall defender, but moved into the midfield for Vic Country and performed well with 27 disposals and five clearances against South Australia.

Then, in Country's final clash with Western Australia, he shifted forward and booted two late goals from 17 touches and was a marking threat in attack.

His versatility and upside had him pegged as a likely first-round pick and recruiters still believe he will fit into that category despite the injury setback.

Kemp's misfortune follows an injury to another likely first-round pick, Josh Worrell.

The intercept defender suffered a shoulder injury earlier this month which is likely to leave him sidelined for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back