Autopsy 2019 AFLX Discussion Thread (Billings, Membrey, Steele, Gresham playing)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my biggest issue with AFLX (other than the fashion show they’ve just introduced) is that each match goes for a total of 20 mins.

I don’t care how many gimmicks you throw into it, each game being less than a qtr of AFL is not a game at all. Why even have a bench? 10mins on, break, another 10 mins on. That’s a walk in the park for anyone in the TAC cup, let alone the AFL.

How much can any sport actually hope to engage fan with such little time for the players to actually do anything?
Rugby Sevens plays 14 minute games consisting of two 7 minutes halves, and draws close to 750,000 people through the gate across 10 tournaments. While the inception of the sport can be traced back to 1883, it really was considered gimmicky for a very long time before it's current format evolved out of what was really a marketing event for Rothman's Tobacco in 1976 Hong Kong. Today, it is a fast growing sport, that attracts world class athletes, and is touted as one of the worlds emerging premier sporting events.

The abbreviated format of the game means that minnow countries are more competitive and it has truly flourished as an international sport. The popularity of the format amongst member countries has seen it become a Commonwealth and Olympic event. Fiji won a gold medal (it's solitary Olympic medal after participating at 14 summer games and 3 winter games) at the Olympics in 2016 which has arguably elevated the format to being recognized as our national sport, above the traditional 15 man format of the game.

So, long story short, who knows where AFLX could go? Has the AFL got it right? No, I don't think so. But, it could have a very big future, and you will never know unless you try.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/02/...eason-round-up-sports-best-day-out/index.html

Rugby Sevens plays 14 minute games consisting of two 7 minutes halves, and draws close to 750,000 people through the gate across 10 tournaments. While the inception of the sport can be traced back to 1883, it really was considered gimmicky for a very long time before it's current format evolved out of what was really a marketing event for Rothman's Tobacco in 1976 Hong Kong. Today, it is a fast growing sport, that attracts world class athletes, and is touted as one of the worlds emerging premier sporting events.

The abbreviated format of the game means that minnow countries are more competitive and it has truly flourished as an international sport. The popularity of the format amongst member countries has seen it become a Commonwealth and Olympic event. Fiji won a gold medal (it's solitary Olympic medal after participating at 14 summer games and 3 winter games) at the Olympics in 2016 which has arguably elevated the format to being recognized as our national sport, above the traditional 15 man format of the game.

So, long story short, who knows where AFLX could go? Has the AFL got it right? No, I don't think so. But, it could have a very big future, and you will never know unless you try.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/02/...eason-round-up-sports-best-day-out/index.html

For me thought, the big attraction of 7's is that its not so much about busting through the wall of players, as it is outrunning them and outmanoeuvring them. Its a far more athletic game.
But AFL is already that.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Club is actually happy with the 4 chosen. Good publicity for the no star saints to have 4 young players who are all very highly rated.

Club needs all the positive publicity it can get.

Yep it's probably our four most marketable players. Would be good publicity if there's some highlights of Gresh sidestepping stars of the competition, Billings nailing super goals, Membrey bagging a few, Steele bullying some Brownlow medalists etc...

Obviously just hoping for no injuries. We can't afford to lose any of those four

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe I am struggling to find a positive out of this Mickey Mouse rubbish but there is one thing I noticed that made me happy.

As a measure of quality, who the great players rate as other good players (and want to play with) is a decent measure to consider. Fyfe, Danger, JRoo and Betts are certainly well qualified footballers.

With most of the league to choose from, as far as I can see no team had more than one player 23 or under (when the tournament rolls around) selected. Except us. We had three! And our fourth is only 24

Maybe the pre-season has been too long and I am going delirious trying to stay positive, but it is good to see that some pretty qualified players rate our young talent

Last edited:
Anyone going tomorrow? Think I might watch it on TV over a few beers as the intra club is the day after.
I will be after getting nuked. I suspect that X/Ray might be more entertaining but who knows.

I will be after getting nuked. I suspect that X/Ray might be more entertaining but who knows.

Good luck with that Packo. I suspect you might be right though.

Jesus I thought you said naked for a second there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus I thought you said naked for a second there.
Well I did have to wear that stupid gown thing. You may as well be wearing nothing with that thing on.

Anyway Im at the ground.

Ive just seen a travesty. A saints man with his family. The wife: Hawthorn. The 3 kids: Hawthorn.

Well I did have to wear that stupid gown thing. You may as well be wearing nothing with that thing on.

Anyway Im at the ground.

Ive just seen a travesty. A saints man with his family. The wife: Hawthorn. The 3 kids: Hawthorn.
Shout him a beer, poor bloke.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really, really, really, ridiculously good looking

F640810E-0792-44B6-A3C5-4B446A7A8C58.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back