2019 Assistant Coaches Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Hinkley is on notice? Improvement next year or we give him an early payout and give the job to Schofield. Jarred Schofield could not have a better CV and a year in the AFL system will not do him any harm. In fact it is probably a similar pathway to that taken by Alistair Clarkson.

In the meantime we take some heart at the noise coming from some quarters at Alberton and hope for improvement even if it means Ken keeping his job.

On the news services yesterday there was talk of improving skills. The training drills from day one are focused on executing under pressure.

2 thoughts instantly popped into my head: 1) surely we've been doing this all along. Surely. 2) Does this mean we're now working smarterly instead of harderly?

It's the right noises, hopefully the pre-season will give us something lift our spirits.

2 thoughts instantly popped into my head: 1) surely we've been doing this all along. Surely. 2) Does this mean we're now working smarterly instead of harderly?

It's the right noises, hopefully the pre-season will give us something lift our spirits.

I've heard we've opted for the not workering at all technique in an attempt to balance the working hardery for four years.

I don't wanna hear **** about what we're gonna do in 2019 until someone confesses to what went wrong in 2018.

Still working on the "why" Ken?

Every year these amateurs talk about doing things differently and every year it's the same old crap.
I for one am glad we are not focusing on that went wrong in 2018.

Saying things need to change is acknowledgement enough.

We need to look forward now not backwards.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I for one am glad we are not focusing on that went wrong in 2018.

Saying things need to change is acknowledgement enough.

We need to look forward now not backwards.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just once I'd like to hear someone say "we ****ed up"

Did we get any of that, at all?

Jarrad Schofield's Subiaco is praised for skills under pressure so he will bring some new ideas to training. I expect the same from Monty who is very strong on team rules and discipline.

And maybe a bolder game plan will also mean less complicated.

I'd much rather hear 'we fixed it and here's the proof'
There's nothing that can be SAID as proof. It has to be we win easily against poor sides. It's we aren't thinking 'game over' in the first 5 minutes against Essendon yet again. It's we don't see Dixon getting kicks at half back whilst Sam Gray is our forward target (it's we don't see Sam Gray outside injuries mounting at all). It's replacing an injured tall with another tall, not 'he's not ready, did I tell you'se all I love The Little Women of New York?'.

When we start SEEING proof of changes (most especially for me not seeing talls for smalls when injuries hit), then I'll start slowly having some faith. Until then it's just words.

That is an understandable point but I would be more concerned if those in charge did not admit there was anything wrong and kept saying nothing needed to change. Thus far Ken has not publicly stated that the way we play will change. Thus far it has been all the assistant's talking about the situation. Maybe Ken has made a few definitive statements and I missed them?

This is what Ken said after the loss to Essendon in the last round of 2018,

“We’ll be a harder club,’’ he [Hinkley] said.

“We’ll train strongly through the summer and push harder. We haven’t got where we want to go so we will push harder.’’

None of that sounds like the harbinger of change. In fact it sounds like typical Hinkley gobbledygook because we find ourselves asking what does Hinkley mean by 'harder' and why would we need to go harder? I suspect we need to go smarter rather than harder.

I think I prefer Voss' 'bolder' to Hinkley's 'harder' and hopefully Ken has had time to reflect and can see the need to change the way we go about things and not go harder at the same s**t we dished up in 2018.

Hinkley's response to adversity has always been that the team needs to work harder.

It's a load of BS, imo. In 2013 and 2014 we were the hardest working team in the league. No one would out run us, we gave 110% and if we lost it wasn't because of poor effort.

Hinkley's theory of working harder only works if you consider that every playing list in the AFL is equal in quality, and the same applies to the coaches. Ergo, the hardest working team would in theory win every time.

Maybe if Hinkley worked out that we need to be smarter with our approach, change for the better may actually be forthcoming.

Everything I read at this stage points to changes in our game plan for 2019. Micheal Voss is the latest to hint at a change in game tactics when he says that Port will be 'bolder' in 2019. Voss points out what most of us already know, namely that we were too defensive in 2018, and exactly what he means by 'bolder' is open to interpretation but hopefully it means we will play a more attacking style. On top of Voss' comments Dean Brogan has indicated that we will play two ruckmen from game 1 and the new 3-3-3 rule means that ultra defensive set ups at the bounce will have to change and maybe these factors are behind Voss' comments.

While it is encouraging that we identify the problems it is another matter to fix them so I guess the truth will be in the way we play in 2019.

The new appointments, the changes to existing portfolios and the noises emanating from Alberton give me a sense of 'reserved optimism' for 2019.
'Bolder' for us will just mean hoofing it long and hoping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to take the game on more but probably turn the ball over because our dire skills have never been addressed. Then we'll probably revert back to chipping the ball around because we'll be scared to turn it over.

If we miraculously look like a competent football team next year I'll congratulate the coaching group. Until then I'm not gonna believe any of their promises.

Lol so much this. We will revert back to our bombing it inside 50 technique of the 2016/17 period. 2018 was just "don't get it inside 50 ever, but if you somehow manage to, over possess it and end up with a shot from the boundary if you are lucky enough."

KT said it.
I think Hinkley said something along the lines of "We stuffed up the what and need to find out the why" after the Essendon game talking about the season.

work hardery for longery with accuracy. thats the new motto, Schofield found the perfect rhyming word, as soon as he said it Kenny's eyes lit up and a new philosophy was born.

Jarrad Schofield's Subiaco is praised for skills under pressure so he will bring some new ideas to training. I expect the same from Monty who is very strong on team rules and discipline.

And maybe a bolder game plan will also mean less complicated.

Get ball, pass ball, kick between big sticks..... reminds me of the Billy Connolly gag where he talks about the Scottish national football team..... maybe once and a while they should just kick it into the back of the net!

I don't wanna hear **** about what we're gonna do in 2019 until someone confesses to what went wrong in 2018.

Still working on the "why" Ken?

Every year these amateurs talk about doing things differently and every year it's the same old crap.
What is your alternative, make no changes because we have already tried that? I am hoping they are looking back at the last few years and are making changes based on what didn't work then. It seems to me thats the way to improve!

What is your alternative, make no changes because we have already tried that? I am hoping they are looking back at the last few years and are making changes based on what didn't work then. It seems to me thats the way to improve!

Did I say they shouldn't make changes?

I said I'm sick of the talk. It's not just cheap from Mr. Voss, it's completely and utterly redundant without an admission of "here's what we did wrong and that's on us."

I don't know if you've noticed but every year they make changes and still we go backwards. 2018 was further away from where we needed to be than 2017. I'm sick of this club talking s**t. I want results, not promises.

Last edited:
Did I say they shouldn't make changes?

I said I'm sick of the talk. It's not just cheap from Mr. Voss, it's completely and utterly redundant without an admission of "here's what we did wrong and that's on us."

I don't know if you've noticed but every year they make changes and still we go backwards. 2018 was further away from where we needed to be than 2017. I'm sick of this club talking s**t. I want results, not promises.
Takes time eg Richmond, Collingwood, let's hope 2019 is the year!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back