crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Last 2 picks are high risk/high reward types. I remember the melts when Danger was picked over Ebert as 1. He was victorian 2. In the U18 national champs he only averaged something like 10 touches a game and 3. He stayed another year in Victoria to finish high school.

Danger from memory was a big reach at pick 10 too - most of the year he was in the 20-40 bracket but late mail was he could push up the draft.

Essentially Danger was fairly underexposed as he was used as a tagger/HBF in the U18 champs in his draft year. I remember he did pre season with us then went back and played TAC cup again when he was 18 but after he was drafted by us... he absolutely tore the TAC cup to shreds, regularly getting 30 + touches, think he played CHB and got close to 40 touches and and he may have kicked a bag of 10 from memory too?

Anyway, moral of the story is Haggis and the team would've taken a punt as it seems like O' Connor wasn't given a chance to play his most suited role as an inside mid at the champs (but when he played that role in his U18 WA side, did very well) so they reckon his production was down because of that. Same with Gollant, they would've seen something in him (most likely his movement and height for a player of his size) and thought that if they left him he would've exploded in production next year or someone wouldve taken a punt later in the draft on him. I think that's what the later draft picks are for - would you rather take a Brad Symes type who probably racks it up from day dot if you slot him into a rd 1 AFL side with limited upside or would you rather go the gun or bust route where they have a special AFL attribute but have a lot to work on but won't be able to slot in from day 1. I know which kid i'd rather take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DJ75

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
One thing is for sure, absolutely no-one knows what we are going to do in any draft!!

Our decision to rookie two recycled player is a complete surprise to everyone. Very interesting strategy, but kind of makes sense. We are loading up our team with younger players this year and next year, so to be able to add two 22 year old's that have developed bodies allows us to have some cover. This way we don't expose and smash the younger guys when we don't need to.

Interesting for sure.

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
So now this means we can add a player over the summer. Think Hamish will leave this one as a "nicks" pick and invite tons of kids to train to see if they fit the mould.

Scorpus

The Boys Are Sacked!
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Love the Ben Keays pick, I think he has more to offer at AFL level and was unlucky to be delisted by Brisbane.

Ben Crocker... would have to show serious improvement over what he did at Collingwood to get AFL games. More likely than a Patrick Wilson type but he's not that good IMO

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
Helps our SANFL side. Keays is a good pick, reinvented himself as a forward this year so might get some AFL game time if injuries arise

From looking up stuff about Crocker, sounds like he's a good VFL player but not an AFL player. Ah well, decent depth at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheLeftFist8

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Once we picked Gollant in the ND you knew our list had reached it's end. Still think it was a failure not to spend a bit more to get another decent pick after Schoenberg.

These guys are SANFL depth when we had no other youngsters we rated, when you consider it that way it's acceptable.

But in reality, for all our departures, we have selected only 4 blokes (one speculative) with any chance of a decent AFL career.

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So no ruck prospects. We are going in with OBrien and Frampton, and Rookie Strachan, with Butts and Berg next tallest at 198cm.
Mid season draft I'd say.

Let these guys learn their craft rather than sit behind a mature age recruit in a forward pocket all season.

Scorpus

The Boys Are Sacked!
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Once we picked Gollant in the ND you knew our list had reached it's end. Still think it was a failure not to spend a bit more to get another decent pick after Schoenberg.

These guys are SANFL depth when we had no other youngsters we rated, when you consider it that way it's acceptable.

But in reality, for all our departures, we have selected only 4 blokes (one speculative) with any chance of a decent AFL career.
You could see from the way clubs started picking after about #40 that this draft has no depth at all. 65 picks is about 10-15 short of most drafts, lower than average amount of new picks at the rookie draft (14) and apparently 15 guys invited to the Combine (with at least 5 clubs interested) didn't get drafted at all

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You could see from the way clubs started picking after about #40 that this draft has no depth at all. 65 picks is about 10-15 short of most drafts, lower than average amount of new picks at the rookie draft (14) and apparently 15 guys invited to the Combine (with at least 5 clubs interested) didn't get drafted at all
Makes the Keath trade even more questionable.

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does it? We got a 2020 2nd for him, maybe it made sense to get out of this draft after the 20s?
We gave up a 2020 third rounder, which given the relative chances of both teams won’t be much difference.

We received a pick in the 40s this year which by all accounts is a poor pick.

We should have called their bluff and let him walk, they gave up bugger all anyway.

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Feel a bit for Matthews, im sure he's the train on player we'll look at.
Keays was a good pick, he could easily play Murphys role right now.
Unsure on Crocker but we do need SANFL depth

ad victoriam

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
We gave up a 2020 third rounder, which given the relative chances of both teams won’t be much difference.

We received a pick in the 40s this year which by all accounts is a poor pick.

We should have called their bluff and let him walk, they gave up bugger all anyway.
That Pick swap is worth about 300 pts. which will be close to Borliase or Newchurch price.
Anyway, this year's Draft has Shown the value of having a good selection of Pick in a NGA/FA situation.
And its way to early to call Gollant is a poor pick,

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That Pick swap is worth about 300 pts. which will be close to Borliase or Newchurch price.
Anyway, this year's Draft has Shown the value of having a good selection of Pick in a NGA/FA situation.
And its way to early to call Gollant is a poor pick,
I’d like to see your maths on 300 points and how that equates to those players.

I’m not calling Gollant a poor player, I said he should have been a rookie pick, but I obviously wish he makes it. My poor pick comment was the justification some have used that a pick in the 40s this year is a poor pick.

Scorpus

The Boys Are Sacked!
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Get ready for some hilarious "plays like" comparisons for our draft picks, thanks to Champion Data

Fisher McAsey plays like Callum Mills and Matt Dea

Harry Schoenberg plays like Ed Curnow

and best of all, Josh Worrell plays like Jarman Impey, Jordan Dawson, Bailey Fritsch and Jack Crisp

They even clarify this means "style" and not "quality". Yes, I'm sure our 197cm key position player Fisher McAsey has a similar style to 189cm half back Callum Mills

Top Bottom