No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why trial rules? The AFL normally introduce with little thought.

Removing the kick back would be good for the game.

Not sure how you remove tackling unless you make it touch. Seems like one of the less thought out AFL ideas.

Yeah good point * it bring it in

Guess re tackling would see a s**t load of frees

Why trial rules? The AFL normally introduce with little thought.

Removing the kick back would be good for the game.

Not sure how you remove tackling unless you make it touch. Seems like one of the less thought out AFL ideas.

I may be wrong here so call me out if that's the case, but wouldn't removing the kick backwards basically lead to more flooding/congestion in front of the ball? I'm just picturing player x with the ball on the wing or half forward flank, trying to kick into a forward 50 that has every player on the ground inside, because everyone has gone forward of the ball carrier and it's just a mess that the player can't really get through?

I may be wrong here so call me out if that's the case, but wouldn't removing the kick backwards basically lead to more flooding/congestion in front of the ball? I'm just picturing player x with the ball on the wing or half forward flank, trying to kick into a forward 50 that has every player on the ground inside, because everyone has gone forward of the ball carrier and it's just a mess that the player can't really get through?

Absolutely correct. You should apply for a job with the AFL because you exhibit that rare quality of asking “What might be the consequences?”

No more flooding than if you kick the ball back. All that happens when you kick back is that the opposition sets up a zoned defence.

Force the ball forward will open it up. Less time to set up a defensive zone. Plus kicking backwards is dull and you’re less likely to score which is still the aim of the game.

No more flooding than if you kick the ball back. All that happens when you kick back is that the opposition sets up a zoned defence.

Force the ball forward will open it up. Less time to set up a defensive zone. Plus kicking backwards is dull and you’re less likely to score which is still the aim of the game.

The point Caesar is making, and he’s right, is that such a rule will simply have the effect of the press operating further back in defence, and the chipping around more prominent.

It won’t solve the “problem”, it will make it worse.

Markers up?

I would’ve thought it would attract more pressure in the backline as a mark from a backward kick is ‘play on’. As the defensive team, you want the opposition kicking backward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best wishes to Jack Higgins, seems like a great kid. Hope everything goes alright for him and there’s no lasting repercussions.

Playing football again is just a bonus on top of that.
Hoping to actually catch up with him shortly. Not a bad bone in his body.

Pike is such a s**t coach. His teams underperform year in, year out. Shoulda been sacked after the preseason bonding trip gone wrong debacle.
Feel like the Crows never recovered this season from the fallout of that.
Maybe this year they can just go to Bali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back