Preview 2019 Grand Final - Richmond vs GWS, Saturday 28th September, MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm disagree.

Bit left field but what about Townsend?

He is a known quantity come finals time.

tough, aggressive, will hunt anyone with the ball or without it, can tag, can play forward and kick goals.

I know Towner is probably less likely to play than Ross, but i actually think he might fit the bill a bit better.

we don't need someone to come in and get 25+ touches, Graham didn't do that himself. We need someone to be a physical beast around the contest.

Thinking the exact same thing here Michaels. Bring in the #21!

hmm disagree.

tough, aggressive, will hunt anyone with the ball or without it, can tag, can play forward and kick goals.

I know Towner is probably less likely to play than Ross, but i actually think he might fit the bill a bit better.

we don't need someone to come in and get 25+ touches, Graham didn't do that himself. We need someone to be a physical beast around the contest.

No chance imo

Townsend is not an AFL level mid

We all love him because he tackles hard and gives his all, but that will not translate as well into the seniors where the speed is too much for him.

Jack Ross is the obvious in for me, another ball winner and willing tackler who has the pace to keep up

hmm disagree.

Oh can you imagine the tiger army’s roar seeing townsend line up Greene in a centre bounce!! Poll driving him into next year!!
Couldn’t think of anything better for the GF!

As others have mentioned, Ross is essentially a like for like, if anything he's a better accumulator than Graham but not necessarily a better user (yet)
There is a chance Kamdyn comes in instead if they decide to steer towards experience/an option to take a match up down back given the Giants a big upfront but it shouldn't be an issue if Broad is fit.

Pickett and anyone else is very unlikely unless someone else goes down (touch wood)

Can’t wait

I’m confident but wary. Greene is a big in for the Giants.
Are Whitfield and Coniglio going to be in? Whitfield would be pretty tender still and coniglio will be rusty so not worried about them

They have the class to win but not the experience we have. Let’s do this Tiges!

Rumor is Dimma told Pickett what he needed to do to get in. You look at his stats, it was a very Jack Graham type game.

He couldnt could he?

For me its Jack Ross who pre injury was playing amazingly well.

hmm disagree.

How is Townsend more like Graham? Has Townsend ever even played midfield for us? I remember we trialled him there when he first arrived in the JLT and he was not a midfielder’s bum hole. Ever since his purple patch as a defensive forward he has been awful at AFL level. VFL is his level and we should never revisit experimenting with him in the guts again as it was an abject failure.

Ross has midfield nous and does what Graham does. Tackles hard, wins clearances and cracks into contests. He’s also capable of finding the ball so will offer something in possession, something Townsend has no track record of at the highest level.

How is Townsend more like Graham? Has Townsend ever even played midfield for us? I remember we trialled him there when he first arrived in the JLT and he was not a midfielder’s bum hole. Ever since his purple patch as a defensive forward he has been awful at AFL level. VFL is his level and we should never revisit experimenting with him in the guts again as it was an abject failure.

Ross has midfield nous and does what Graham does. Tackles hard, wins clearances and cracks into contests. He’s also capable of finding the ball so will offer something in possession, something Townsend has no track record of at the highest level.

Never said he was more like Graham than Ross, just that he can play a similiar role to what Graham does as it is not possession based.

Like I said, it is a left field idea and probably wont get up, and that is fine, but after seeing how desperate and physical he was in the VFL grand final on the weekend it just made me wonder what if.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looked up player stats and saw Jack Ross is listed at 187 cm and 85kg. That makes him bigger than Fridge. I had the mistaken idea that it was the other way around. Can't wait to see who gets the gig but selection seems to be fair but uncompromising, which is how it should be. Seriously hope Broad gets up. The back six don't need any disruption now while it's arguable that we can cover Jack G's loss a bit easier. If this doesn't motivate the troops to be ruthless on Saturday I don't know what will.

Can't see it being Macca or Ross personally. As everyone has already mentioned Ross is the closest replacement, but Macca is a big, experienced body and we could just as well shuffle positions around to suit. Kind of leaning towards Macca at this point.

I don’t mind Kmac usually other than his kicking at times , but I don’t get why we would bring in a player way out of form even in the VFL to play a GF .

Never said he was more like Graham than Ross, just that he can play a similiar role to what Graham does as it is not possession based.

Like I said, it is a left field idea and probably wont get up, and that is fine, but after seeing how desperate and physical he was in the VFL grand final on the weekend it just made me wonder what if.
I said Ross was the most like for like replacement and you said that you disagreed then brought up Townsend so I assumed that’s who you were suggesting was more comparable to Graham.

Townsend dominates VFL and has been given his chances post GF but has failed miserably. I don’t mind the suggestion because he brings aggression and physicality, which are two things I think we could use going into this game, however I see the coaches playing it conservatively and going with Ross.

Can't see it being Macca or Ross personally. As everyone has already mentioned Ross is the closest replacement, but Macca is a big, experienced body and we could just as well shuffle positions around to suit. Kind of leaning towards Macca at this point.

So can you or cant you see it being Macca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back