Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Zzzzzzz......*startled* Huh? Wha? *wipes drool from face* Where am I? What, there's a draft on this year? Are the Saints invited?

OK, so the party is basically over by now, the music has been turned off and most people have passed out on the couches. But they say 51 is the new 21. Not sure who they are, though....

This has been a bit weird. I have tried not to get too attached to players, as I knew I would be waiting a long time for my turn. I feel like a carnival ride operator, running the duck shoot game. A dozen picks ago an olympic marksman rocked up with his own rifle and the targets went down, one-by-*******-one.

I went to bed last night just before midnight, confident I would land my main 'slider' target, Charlie Comben. And then BAM.....To quote windows1 .....

So, where does that leave me? Saints have a relatively balanced list, although lacking in quality in a few areas. The main shortfall to me is their ruck division.

Marshall burst onto the scene this year and is top shelf. But there is almost nothing behind him. The Saints delisted Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce. Yes, they picked up Paddy Ryder but I see him as VERY short-term. Ryder aside, the only other ruck on the list is Sam Alabakis - a 22yo Cat B rookie who is yet to play a game (and may never).

Comben would have been perfect as the Saints are also light on in the KPF. Plus with Marshall as main ruck, a ruck-fwd would be perfect for team balance. But with him now unavailable....St Kilda selects.....Nick Bryan

Nick Bryan
Position
: Ruck
Height: 202 cm
Weight: 87kg
Teams: Oakleigh, Vic Metro
Summary (AFL Draft Central): A developing ruck who has terrific athleticism and a high ceiling, Bryan just needs to build his consistency and have more of a presence around the ground to further build his game

Bryan is a phenomenal athlete. He was top 10 in standing a running leap at the combine. And in pre-season testing, he ran a 2.91 sec 20m sprint (!!!!), a time which would have been 3rd fastest at the national combine this year. He needs to work on his consistency, but improved as the season went on and increased his possession rate. His output in the NAB finals was his best for the year, which is a great sign.

He is very raw, and will take a few years to develop. But that suits the Saints fine. Marshall is the main main. Ryder will give them a couple of years' support of backup ruck-fwd and when he retires, hopefully Bryan has made some (very long) strides.

OK.....I'm off for another nap. Wake me up when it's time for the Saints' next pick in Rhys Palmer trade territory....
Well, that wake up call backfired. Was hanging out for a ruck Comben being Vic Country as per Brisbane policy, then Bryan who will be a better genuine ruck. Jeremias made me match Cumberland with my earmarked ruck pick at #42 and the options didn't last. Go back to sleep ferris.

BTW good picks guys

Like the Bryan and Comben picks and what has happened here with multiple guys wanting the quality ruckmen here might mean someone will have to go fairly early to make sure of getting them i reckon . ala TDK at 30.

Personally i reckon they both deserve to go higher than this in this draft. Bryan is a very smart, productive ruckman but very raw still. Great athlete too as Ferris mentions. Rucked really well in the NAB GF and against the Casey men on the MCG. Comben is a great Forward/Ruck prospect too. Outstanding pack marker as Red Bull mentioned and once again a raw talent coming off limited prep so far.

There's a lot i'm not keen on this draft about, but there's an outstanding ruck option up top, and these 2 guys as well who'll need some time.

Can I suggest you guys also update the thread title with the pick # and person responsible when it's their turn, so it's a bit more visible? I've seen this done elsewhere and it works quite well.

LemmingMaster

Out of interest, who is next on his board?

Whether we go with that player will depend on whether I want a chance at him in a few picks’ time...

The only player left on Lemmings board of 40 is Jake Pasini. Give him Pasini and move on imo. Fair to everyone waiting.

Pick 53. Callum Jamieson - Brisbane Lions

31/07/2000 | 199cm/84kg | Ruck CLAREMONT/WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Again thanks to AFL Draft Central

"Played in the premiership-winning Claremont WAFL Colts side with 34 hitouts on Grand Final day for the Tigers. He has developed quite significantly this season, and while he is a lightly built ruck who is viewed as a long-term prospect, Jamieson is one of the few rucks in this draft crop who received a National Draft Combine invitation. Debuted for the Reserves side late in the year."

Reckon Lions need a young ruck. Missed the higher rated boys.Jamieson is very raw, but some good highlights in limited minutes at the Championships and is the best genuine ruck remaining short of taking the oft overlooked Jeremy Goddard or Ben Kelly who could count as much as a Key utility as ruck. National combine invitee who will be a very slow burn, not uncommon for ruckmen.
RoyalParade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 56 - Brisbane - Josh Honey

17/10/2001 | 185cm/82kg | Midfielder/Forward WESTERN JETS/VIC METRO
AFL Draft Central bio.
A real talent at his best, Honey was a shining light for the Western Jets in season 2019. He wins the ball inside or out and can dash from the stoppages, weaving around opponents to find space where few can. He has the capability of going forward and kicking goals, with a touch of X-factor in the way he plays. Honey is still trying to find his consistency and add more of a tank to help him, but he has some eye-catching traits.

Brisbane would probably be out of the draft now, but will continue for the exercise.
Looking at potential upside, hard to go past Honey, both as an outside mid and perhaps more likely as a forward. Vic Metro again varying from recent policy, but we can afford to be a bit more adventurous targeting potential rather than more mundane depth types.

SOSage Mcgovern

Cumberland and now Honey? * you Coona Blues.

Honey was the real slider I had on my board. Considered him at my last pick but with few even mentioning him as a draftable I thought I would be safe to watch him slide for a little longer.

I am no expert by any means, but I reckon he's one who could well turn out to be a much better footballer than many are thinking. Has a lot going for him.

Pick 57 Rich: Dyson Hilder
A genuine key position defender, Hilder managed to debut across both the League
and Reserves sides for North Adelaide this year, playing a total of 13 games in the SANFL. He also provided great rebound out of defence for the Croweaters and is one of the better key position prospects in this
year’s draft. Readymade physically, he still has room to build on his game.

Didnt think he would last until pick 57 so i'm stoked i can still grab him here. A ready made replacement for Rance albeit not as agile he reads the play well and has strong hands.

Cumberland and now Honey? fu** you Coona Blues.

Honey was the real slider I had on my board. Considered him at my last pick but with few even mentioning him as a draftable I thought I would be safe to watch him slide for a little longer.

I am no expert by any means, but I reckon he's one who could well turn out to be a much better footballer than many are thinking. Has a lot going for him.
Strange, I had similar sentiments toward you after forcing me to match Cumberland where I wanted Comben or Bryan.

Bit of an eye opener at how quickly draft plans can go awry.

and Reserves sides for North Adelaide this year, playing a total of 13 games in the SANFL. He also provided great rebound out of defence for the Croweaters and is one of the better key position prospects in this

Didnt think he would last until pick 57 so i'm stoked i can still grab him here. A ready made replacement for Rance albeit not as agile he reads the play well and has strong hands.
Good pick :thumbsu:

That's 2/4 of the last players I had on my list.

You have done really well mate and as a Richmond supporter i would take your selections in a heart beat . Well done
#19 Cooper Stephens
#38 Fraser Phillips
#39 Mitch Georgiades
#41 Brock Smith
#57 Dyson Hidler

What do we do if I want to bid on a GWS academy kid? Put in a bid and wait for LemmingMaster again?

Or just assume he matches at this point?

Any bids at this point are basically free to match (197 point discount).

LM has three list spots/picks left. I dare say he'd like the option of trying to pick a roughie late in the draft.

In the main BF phantom he said that the convincing talent seemed to run out ~pick 50 but on the other hand he selected for Carlton all the way to pick 87.

Compromise - give him a couple of hours. If no word, assume he matches...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back