2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, so I think I've gotta butt in to all this 'keeper' talk, and point out again that only Titch and Jelly started both this season and last season in the top 10 midfielders -

The remaining 9 were:

Danger
Zerrett
Ablett
Dusty
Adams
Zorko
Jelly
Duncan
Gibbs

The top 10 come season's end were:

Titch
Macrae
Gaff
Cogs
Cripps
Oliver
Jelly
Treloar
Ross
Yeo

The top 10 forwards at the start of last season were:

Menegola
Barlow
Buddy
Billings
Wingard
Heeney
Greene
Boak
Lynch
Dahlhaus

Dangerfield
Devon Smith
Westhoff
Menegola
Dunkley
McLean
Buddy
Heeney
McDonald
Mundy

The top 4 rucks at the start of the season were:

Grundy
Kreuzer
Martin
Jacobs

The top 4 rucks come season's end were:

Grundy
Gawn
Westhoff
Martin

And finally, the top 10 defenders at the start of last season were:

Docherty
Laird
Yeo
Simpson
Hurley
Hibberd
Lloyd
Houli
Roberton
Howe

And the top 10 defenders come season's end were:

Laird
Yeo
Brayshaw
Lloyd
Whitfield
Sicily
Simpson
Blakely
Hurn
Witherden

This means that of the 34 players people thought were 'keepers' at the start of the year, only 11 were 'keepers. That's essentially a 33% hit rate. Obviously things like DPP for Westhoff, Brayshaw, Danger, Whit and Yeo have to be taken into account, but that still only brings the count to 16 out of 34. Meaning that, if you pick a keeper from last season, there is more than a 50% chance that it won't be a keeper come season's end.

This is sort of why this whole argument keeps getting lost on me. As long as you think that they will be a keeper for a good duration of the season (until you can make a luxury trade around Round 15 or 16), then that should be enough. Instead of having 11-14 proposed keepers on the basis of where they finished last season, you need to predict who you're going to have in your team on the basis of the role that they'll play in your team this season.

If you think that players like Taranto, Higgins, Sheed Worpel, Newnes, Williams, Smith etc. can all push for top 6-12 (not many finish the season with an exact 22 best priced players), then pick them on that basis. If I picked my team last season on the basis of the final 22 at the end of the season, it would have been a catastrophe (especially the mids)

That's just my two cents and could blow up in my face, but historic data says that changes in roles, teams, rules etc. drastically alter the fantasy scores of those previously considered to be 'locks' or 'keepers.'

Last edited:

I am, but a full pre-season should get him rising in value on last years rotter.
Benjo_

Further to this, Saints board has Newnes playing wing on every iteration of their best 22. Acres has had no pre season and is likely to fill the void in their forward line more so than anywhere else. Stevens plays predominately rover according to them as well so if he comes back in shouldn't affect Newnes spot. Still risky but less so than Worpel

Alright, so I think I've gotta butt in to all this 'keeper' talk, and point out again that only Titch and Jelly started both this season and last season in the top 10 midfielders -

The remaining 9 were:

Danger
Zerrett
Ablett
Dusty
Adams
Zorko
Jelly
Duncan
Gibbs

Titch
Macrae
Gaff
Cogs
Cripps
Oliver
Jelly
Treloar
Ross
Yeo

The top 10 in the forward line at the start of last season was:

Menegola
Barlow
Buddy
Billings
Wingard
Heeney
Greene
Boak
Lynch
Dahlhaus

Dangerfield
Devon Smith
Westhoff
Menegola
Dunkley
McLean
Buddy
Heeney
McDonald
Mundy

Grundy
Kreuzer
Martin
Jacobs

Grundy
Gawn
Westhoff
Martin

Docherty
Laird
Yeo
Simpson
Hurley
Hibberd
Lloyd
Houli
Roberton
Howe

Laird
Yeo
Brayshaw
Lloyd
Whitfield
Sicily
Simpson
Blakely
Hurn
Witherden

This means that of the 34 players people thought were 'keepers' at the start of the year, only 11 were 'keepers. That's essentially a 33% hit rate. Obviously things like DPP for Westhoff, Brayshaw, Danger, Whit and Yeo have to be taken into account, but that still only brings the count to 16 out of 34. Meaning that, if you pick a keeper from last season, there is more than a 50% chance that it won't be a keeper come season's end.

This is sort of why this whole argument keeps getting lost on me. As long as you think that they will be a keeper for a good duration of the season (until you can make a luxury trade around Round 15 or 16), then that should be enough. Instead of having 11-14 proposed keepers on the basis of where they finished last season, you need to predict who you're going to have in your team on the basis of the role that they'll play in your team this season.

If you think that players like Taranto, Higgins, Sheed Worpel, Newnes, Williams, Smith etc. can all push for top 6-12 (not many finish the season with an exact 22 best priced players), then pick them on that basis. If I picked my team last season on the basis of the final 22 at the end of the season, it would have been a catastrophe (especially the mids)

That's just my two cents and could blow up in my face, but historic data says that changes in roles, teams, rules etc. drastically alter the fantasy scores of those previously considered to be 'locks' or 'keepers.'

I mean I think that is what's happening. At least for me I'm picking 'keepers' based on where I think they will finish this year while taking last seasons data into account. I've got Lloyd, Cogs, Cripps, Brayshaw, M.Crouch, Grundy, Gawn, Danger, Dunkley, Heeney and Kelly who I all see as keepers in my side. Those guys weren't necessarily the best in their positions last year (although they are all proven players). I'm significantly more confident in that group becoming keepers this year than I am in the Rocky, Taranto, Higgins, Sheed Worpel, Newnes, Williams, Smith etc types.

If you see that second group outscoring/matching the first then of course pick em (and they are cheaper as well which means you can get more of em) but I'm just not confident enough in my ability to pick the good ones and avoid the bad ones. If you are (and you get them right) you'll be far, far ahead of me and on your way to a car so I can hardly criticize anyone for taking the punt.

Last edited:

The remaining 9 were:

Danger
Zerrett
Ablett
Dusty
Adams
Zorko
Jelly
Duncan
Gibbs

Titch
Macrae
Gaff
Cogs
Cripps
Oliver
Jelly
Treloar
Ross
Yeo

The top 10 in the forward line at the start of last season was:

Menegola
Barlow
Buddy
Billings
Wingard
Heeney
Greene
Boak
Lynch
Dahlhaus

Dangerfield
Devon Smith
Westhoff
Menegola
Dunkley
McLean
Buddy
Heeney
McDonald
Mundy

Grundy
Kreuzer
Martin
Jacobs

Grundy
Gawn
Westhoff
Martin

Docherty
Laird
Yeo
Simpson
Hurley
Hibberd
Lloyd
Houli
Roberton
Howe

Laird
Yeo
Brayshaw
Lloyd
Whitfield
Sicily
Simpson
Blakely
Hurn
Witherden

Agree, I looked at this a while back too... each year showed similar levels of best 22 consistency...role changes, injury, niggles, fixtures, and no doubt many other factors at play.

I mean I think that is what's happening. At least for me I'm picking 'keepers' based on where I think they will finish this year while taking last seasons data into account. I've got Lloyd, Cogs, Cripps, Brayshaw, M.Crouch, Grundy, Gawn, Danger, Dunkley, Heeney and Kelly who I all see as keepers in my side. Those guys weren't necessarily the best in their positions last year (although they are all proven players). I'm significantly more confident in that group becoming keepers this year than I am in the Rocky, Taranto, Higgins, Sheed Worpel, Newnes, Williams, Smith etc types.

If you see that second group outscoring/matching the first then of course pick em (and they are cheaper as well which means you can get more of em) but I'm just not confident enough in my ability to pick the good ones and avoid the bad ones. If you are (and you get them right) you'll be far, far ahead of me and on your way to a car so I can hardly criticize anyone for taking the punt.

I think it's more that, while I agree with the first group outscoring the second, it doesn't necessarily mean that the second group is going to score badly or not stay in your team for quite a while. If that group stays in 'til the byes/after the byes, then that's pretty much what you want. That's what I deem a 'keeper' or a 'lock'; someone that I won't have to trade until I have the luxury to. For me I see the below in my team as fitting that bill:

Crisp, Smith, Williams, Cripps, Brayshaw, Treloar, Rocky, Taranto, Sheed, Brouch, Gawn, Danger, Dunkley, Boak, Newnes.

That means I have only 7 other trades to make up until that period, with even Walsh being a chance to stick around and be my last trade if he scores well. Given that the byes give you a chance to have 9 trades, then you can usually upgrade 4-6 players (depending on what rooks you have/who you're looking to get). Considering that you should already have made an upgrade trade or two at that point, then theoretically coming out of the byes you should be close to full strength, with players like Newnes, Brouch, Taranto, Williams, Smith etc. being traded to the top 8/6 in their respective positions.

That's the way I see it anyway :)

Isn't taking Tuohy's spot. More likely, it makes us go smaller in the backline and Henry plays as a swingman off the bench. With how I see it, Clark and Atkins add something to the side that we sorely need, so they'll be kept in regardless of who comes back. Henderson, O'Connor and Kolo (will be two of those three) will be pushed out when Tuohy and Bews return
Good to hear. Thanks for the insight

Lloyd, Whitfield, Witherden, Williams, Clark, Scrimshaw (Burgess, Hore)
Brayshaw, Merrett, Martin, Rockliff, Crouch, Walsh, Scott, Constable (Atkins, Gibbons)
Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Cameron)
Dangerfield, Heeney, Kelly, Elliott, Setterfield, Drew (Petrucelle, Parker)

Haven't changed this for a few days. Don't want to restructure too much if Scrimshaw isn't named (seems likely he wont be). Isaac Cumming is an alternative to D6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd, Whitfield, Witherden, Williams, Clark, Scrimshaw (Burgess, Hore)
Brayshaw, Merrett, Martin, Rockliff, Crouch, Walsh, Scott, Constable (Atkins, Gibbons)
Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Cameron)
Dangerfield, Heeney, Kelly, Elliott, Setterfield, Drew (Petrucelle, Parker)

Haven't changed this for a few days. Don't want to restructure too much if Scrimshaw isn't named (seems likely he wont be). Isaac Cumming is an alternative to D6
Why is Scrimshaw unlikely now? Hawthorn board have in a fair few versions of their first 22 as well.

Witt's has an injury icon next to his name..
First I've heard/seen..

Yeah I saw that, bit odd. Although, that happened a few times last season, when a player didn't have any injury. Given that the club hasn't said anything, I doubt it's anything to worry about

Although he played the final quarter against the Swans in defence – where he shone – Dew said Lukosius would play forward if selected.

The Gold Coast coach confirmed Chris Burgess, recruited from SANFL club West Adelaide, would also make his debut.

Burgess confirmed,
Music to our ears when you see $170k, named rnd 1, DPP, mature ager.

Also Luko fwd, I don't know..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back