Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, not singling you out but your post on the subject is the one I knew where to find.

GPS data out for round one.

Hardest running team measured by total KM covered?

Carlton.

What we are seeing is motivated young players busting their arse to make up for the greater polish, cohesion and experience of their opponent.

There are a number of serious positives in that.

They are fit, and motivated. We can expect to see the fitness part drop off in the last third of the season, coz they will get tired - as young players do.
I love that they are fit,and implies they are busting a gut, but it also implies turnovers and having to run the other way. my biggest criticisms of the club in the last 10 years has been lack of basic kicking skills, and overuse of boundaries/chipping back in defense. Whilst they have improved, there is still to much chipping and not enough hitting targets. If you can hit your targets your team retains the ball and you control the tempo, and less running required.

On ASUS_Z01HDA using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love that they are fit,and implies they are busting a gut, but it also implies turnovers and having to run the other way
Then that must also apply to the opposition. Can't have it both ways.
And we come back to two periods where we wasted the chances at goal and they took them. Thats what the coach told us and he is dead right.

Not sure if anyone has posted this but I saw it on another board. From the Telstra tracker:

View attachment 642020

So we did the most running in round 1. It wasn't that Richmond outran us, they probably just ran to smarter areas. That will come with experience.
Probably not worded correctly, it was not how far we run because I did not have figures on that. it was more the options they gave the ball handler, they ran together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have at long last been able to watch the game; working when football is on is terrible.

I don't really have much to say, for once. The umpiring, our play, and their play, was off early before improving later; they were permitted to get away with placing the ball on the ground whilst being tackled, leading to goals for them, far more than we were allowed to get away with incorrect disposal. Setterfield, McGovern, Fisher, Newman, Plowman, Harry, SPS; these boys all looked a bit rusty early, before working their way into the game the hard way. And I don't believe for a second that Richmond played to their best, either; while we certainly missed some shots, they missed some absolute sitters, or blasted away when over the last two or so years they'd have lowered the eyes. But, all in all, the game was done during the first term; umps gave them three of their first 5 goals, and they won by 33 points. That's the game.

Our comeback was drawn off the back of hard work from Setterfield, Daisy (he was terrific, didn't think he had that kind of footy still in him), Murphy, Cripps, Dow, Jones and Weitering, before the rest of the team lifted to the level. I was very happy with the quality of our tackling, but it's hard to sustain when one side obtains advantage from correct adjudication of their tackles where we do not. There were also quite a few marks missed to our lot that similar were paid their way. I'm also not too concerned with the Nank vs Phillips matchup, either; Nank's goals were borne off sprinting out the back, not usually ruckman's goals. He was in the right spot at the right time, and literally any of their smalls could've done it. It's what he brings to the table, being excellent below his knees, he does that when he plays well, and more to the point Phillips isn't in the side to negate that kind of a ruckman. He's there to halve the hitouts against Witts/Gawn/Ryder, something he still needs to improve on to uproot Kruezer. I'd probably prefer to have Lobbe in the team, really, because he supplements our hitouts with better play around the ground, and is altogether a smarter player than Phillips is. Phillips does have time, but it may not be enough for him.

Ultimately, if Kruezer plays and Charlie plays to his average performance instead of setting new statistical lows for his play, we go far, far closer, but make no mistake, they had us well in hand. Our test is to take it up to a mentally fragile but up and about Port Adelaide at home this week, and to demonstrate that the ticker we showed last Thursday was something we can expect. To be beaten on the day by a decent side is one thing; to be blown away and to drop your head should only be something that Essendon do.

With 4:45 left in the 3rd quarter, we're 13 points down. McKay runs down broad just outside out goal square. That had to be either holding the ball or deliberate out of bounds with his handball. McKay kicks it, we're only 7 points out of it.

Par for the course,from the first quarter it was plain enough to realize we would never be allowed to win this game.
Nothing will change until we call them out publicly. Credit to them they are getting a little better at hiding their influence, but if the umpires don't want you to win it's going to be very hard, even for a good side.

Par for the course,from the first quarter it was plain enough to realize we would never be allowed to win this game.
Nothing will change until we call them out publicly. Credit to them they are getting a little better at hiding their influence, but if the umpires don't want you to win it's going to be very hard, even for a good side.

Not sure that's the right angle to lodge return serve on …….

. Syd Jackson was a guest speaker, and took us for a cultural walk showing the group indigenous artifacts still remaining in our parklands.

Syd is an amazing leader in his community, in a very unpretentious way.

Back in the day when I was a golf pro (the world's poorest and least successful) he booked my course for the indigenous golf association.

Turned out to be a mighty bloke in more than one way. Especially the way where he told any Collingwood supporter "You're damn right it was out of bounds. Possibly in the second row of the crowd."

Syd and a couple of others came down a day early for a warm up 18 and to go out to dinner at a notorious local pub - notorious in a not so pleasant indigenous way, if I can put it like that. I asked him if he knew what he was getting himself into, and he said he did. But he would be safe there, and if you are going to support the community, that seemed to be a good place to start.

Please.

The umpiring was shocking, and it played a hand in the result of the game somewhat, but deliberately? Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Apologies in the delay in getting this up.

For anybody that didn't see one of these posts in the 2nd half of last season, these are the midfield frequency stats from your match (ie. how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces). I'll be posting these after Carlton's FTA matches, possibly with a few extra matches thrown in.

Overall Summary (26 Bounces)

Cripps 23
Fisher 23 (4w)
Walsh 22 wing
Murphy 19 wing (4i)
SPS 14 (9w, 5i)
Setterfield 12
Dow 10
Cunningham 5
E.Curnow 1 wing
Garlett 1 wing

Rucks:
Phillips 20 (Nankervis 20)
McKay 6 (Balta 6)

1st Half Breakdown:

Walsh 11 wing
Cripps 10
Fisher 10 (2w)
SPS 8 (4w, 4i)
Murphy 7 wing
Setterfield 7
Dow 4
Cunningham 3

Phillips 7
McKay 5

2nd Half Breakdown:

Cripps 13
Fisher 13 (2w)
Murphy 12 (8w, 4i)
Walsh 11 wing
SPS 6 wing (1i)
Dow 6
Setterfield 5
Cunningham 2
E.Curnow 1 wing
Garlett 1 wing

Phillips 13
McKay 1

Notes:
- The last time SPS finished in your top 6 mids in an analysed game was Rd 22, 2017
- Fisher's highest percentage of bounces attended in an analysed game

Last edited:
Apologies in the delay in getting this up.

For anybody that didn't see one of these posts in the 2nd half of last season, this is the midfield frequency stats from your match (ie. how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces). I'll be posting these after Carlton's FTA matches, possibly with a few extra matches thrown in.

Overall Summary (26 Bounces)

Cripps 23
Fisher 23 (4w)
Walsh 22 wing
Murphy 19 wing (4i)
SPS 14 (9w, 5i)
Setterfield 12
Dow 10
Cunningham 5
E.Curnow 1 wing
Garlett 1 wing

Rucks:
Phillips 20 (Nankervis 20)
McKay 6 (Balta 6)

1st Half Breakdown:

Walsh 11 wing
Cripps 10
Fisher 10 (2w)
SPS 8 (4w, 4i)
Murphy 7 wing
Setterfield 7
Dow 4
Cunningham 3

Phillips 7
McKay 5

2nd Half Breakdown:

Cripps 13
Fisher 13 (2w)
Murphy 12 (8w, 4i)
Walsh 11 wing
SPS 6 wing (1i)
Dow 6
Setterfield 5
Cunningham 2
E.Curnow 1 wing
Garlett 1 wing

Phillips 13
McKay 1

Notes:
- The last time SPS finished in your top 6 mids in an analysed game was Rd 22, 2017
- Fisher's highest percentage of bounces attended in an analysed game
Much appreciated. And by top 6 mids, you mean by number of centre bounces attended?

Much appreciated. And by top 6 mids, you mean by number of centre bounces attended?
Yep. He might've spent more time around stoppages around the ground, but SPS was almost always in your forward line or on the bench for bounces (at least in the games analysed from last season). His most appearances were in the Rd 1 game when he started at 12 (of 36) bounces - 11 inside and 1 on the wing - everything else was under 10, with most under 5.

LO'B & E.Curnow locked down top 6 mid roles all season + Kennedy (when fit) and Kerridge when he played. Down the pecking order, Lang, Silvagni (from mid-season) and Graham (when playing) were also preferred for starting mid time ahead of him.

Are we still playing defensive footy because he's trying to long-term teach these kids how to defend?

Think about it - kids come out of the TAC Cup with literally no idea how to defend. If you're a forward your job is to kick enough goals to get drafted, a midfielder to rack up enough touches to get drafted, and backman are encouraged to peel off and take intercept marks and disposals to get drafted.

The stubbornness in this defensive footy vs. say the Lions has got me thinking if Bolts is purposely playing a long, long game - which isn't a bad thing.... Could be genius.

After watching the replay, Charlie was getting to all the right spots, he just wasn't holding his marks. He must have dropped at least a dozen either in link up play or in the forward 50. I know the ball was slippery because of dew, but Mackay was clunking them beautifully. Maybe he should have been thrown onto a wing in the last qtr to see if he could get into the game without Grimes breathing down his neck. Grimes would have had to stay back as Rance was off.

Back