List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d prefer to make Murray work for a position, even if a trade was only for a token pick. Give him an invitation to train with us with a view to rookie listing him. I’d prefer a “try before you buy” approach on this bloke. That being said he does have some attributes we do need.

I also see parallels with us and Collingwood circa 2017, not for the Murray link. Collingwood has two very ordinary seasons in 2016 & 2017...coach was on the canvas...they needed to get better, improve the list...2017 trade period rolled around with an expectation to be active and they only traded for Murray. An insignificant ‘fill a need’ trade. 2018 grand finalist, followed 2019 prelim.

Essentially all these ridiculous trade suggestions and proposition are just that ‘ridiculous’...there is ZERO point in trading picks for the sake of being seen to be active!!!

You trade if you think you can improve. If not, you go to the draft with the hand you have and mandate that improvement comes from within.

The improvement is there to be had...Jacobs, Daw, Durdin, EVW, LDU and Walker are all critical pieces of the 2020 improvement jigsaw IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How many talent scouts do you need though?

How many players slip past the state premiers leagues and TAC cup mate?
Not sure how many we have in say rural WA, and NT, but those 2 areas are probably rich in talented youngsters, and probably more mature players too, way off the regular radar, some more $$$$'s spent on more reps from there would be money well spent imo.

I think there's room for optimism with him. I asked a few questions about him and went to the tapes.

He's quick, takes it on and definitely runs in a straight line at the footy, so there's two aspects we need badly, and one that is an essential cultural trait.

Heavily one sided with the left foot, and gets under it a little, so definitely not a 10 in that aspect, but that can also be a factor impacted by game style.

I'd back our development to iron him out and get him going. Could end up a steal. Hails from JZ's home town also.
Spot on summation with kicking, taking the game on and not flinching in the contest.

Seems an ok kick if he simplifies it.

H
Yep, and Martin is still only potential, just like any kid that could be taken with that pick. The major difference being that the kid can be drafted at a pennies in the dollar salary cap cost.

Now, when you weigh that up, which is really the smarter move?

If we can get that done, then all is good, however I don't think Dodoro is bluffing. They want a couple of top 10 picks and would actually prefer to keep him, which makes sense when you look at the perilous balance of their list.
He might be bluffing, but the smart thing is to trade him. 11 games in 2 years! If he plays another 5 or 6 next year they won't be getting a good compensation back coming their way.
First and second round or first and Mase would be more than adequate.

Free agents can get bent.

The Kelly, Hill and Papley deals/proposed deals are outrageous imho and are paving the way for future stupidity. Won't be long before 3 x 1sts will be handed over for a player.

The Swans got pick 12 for Tom Mitchell, and it's almost a certainty that the same team will get pick 9 for Papley. f*n LOL.

Anyone suggesting we hand over pick 8 should be given a 24hr spell...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 9 just isn't that good.

Spot on summation with kicking, taking the game on and not flinching in the contest.

Seems an ok kick if he simplifies it.

Agree.

The difference between us & Collingwood is that we have long options hitting up at him, whereas they love to hold on to the ball and flick it around.

I’d prefer to make Murray work for a position, even if a trade was only for a token pick. Give him an invitation to train with us with a view to rookie listing him. I’d prefer a “try before you buy” approach on this bloke. That being said he does have some attributes we do need.

I also see parallels with us and Collingwood circa 2017, not for the Murray link. Collingwood has two very ordinary seasons in 2016 & 2017...coach was on the canvas...they needed to get better, improve the list...2017 trade period rolled around with an expectation to be active and they only traded for Murray. An insignificant ‘fill a need’ trade. 2018 grand finalist, followed 2019 prelim.

Essentially all these ridiculous trade suggestions and proposition are just that ‘ridiculous’...there is ZERO point in trading picks for the sake of being seen to be active!!!

You trade if you think you can improve. If not, you go to the draft with the hand you have and mandate that improvement comes from within.

The improvement is there to be had...Jacobs, Daw, Durdin, EVW, LDU and Walker are all critical pieces of the 2020 improvement jigsaw IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sam Murray was delisted wasn’t he? Delisted free agent if that’s the case. I’m still not keen at all. Flakey and average kick

20 years .....we have done nothing wake up and smell the roses mate. 20 years.....no premierships, grand finals, brownlow medals. Am i wrong ? If i am wrong, please correct me. Otherwise STFU.
Yes you are dead wrong that trading out half our best 22 is going to lead to a period of success. It will turn us into a Carltonesque basket case.

For 7 spots on the draft ladder you'd trade two senior players (and pay some of their salary), all in the hope that the draftee would be a significant upgrade? Crazy stuff ...!
Nah, what's crazy is doing nothing, We aren't going anywhere with both of them in the team, we also don't have players in our team to spend the salary on next year anyway, might as well try and bring in a better player.

What do you suggest we do?

Essendon want a ready made replacement player For Daniher. Swans send them pick 5, we send essendon Mase, and swans send us Papley, and some Token pick swaps.
Good riddance to Papley. Seriously, no interest in a bloke who cracked it because a housemate burnt his vindaloo and he's desperate to reunite with a couple of mates at Northern Blues. Premierships demand a bit more fibre than that. Spare me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you consider what WCE just gave up for a 48 game player that was right under their noses, happy to go to the draft.

You never know, we might pick up the next Michael Barlow or Pickett with a spec pick. Or a Cripps with our 1st. Or a Papley with our 3rd.

Or the next Brown, larkey or Zurhaar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back