Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 605697
Who’s that in the background watching? One of us ?

300px-WTW_NOV_2013_Lianna_Henwood_055.JPG

Our hands were great in the '90's and it wasn't just Williams . The whole team used attacking handball options a lot.
Our close in stuff was great as well.
I was beginning to wonder last year whether they practiced hand balling at all at training it was so horrendous at times, not sure how this is possible in this day and age of professional footballers that they can’t hit a three metre handball consistently, shameful.

yep - behind the player so he has to slow down and gets caught - or at the player's feet where I'm sure the receiver just wants to put his hand up, stop the game, walk over to the perpetrator and say "What - The * - Was That?"

How many times one of our players missed a simple target to halt a good bit of run and carry and the opposition get the pill take it up the other end ,make our defenders work twice as hard as they should and we wonder why we get scored against a lot ..
C'monn boys let's get this s**t sorted..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Exactly happened way to often to be coincidence, need to fix this priority 1 because as I’m sure you would have seen when we do get it right, which wasn’t often, we can really cause havoc with our run and carry through the middle of the ground and good delivery to a one on one leading forward or even at times running all the way for a goal. So many times we gave up certain goals with behind the man handballs or ones at there feet, not good enough for a professional afl team, is it a confidence thing? Or is it a skills thing? A bit of both I reckon, need to keep repeating over and over and over until it is second nature no thought process just bang and away we go to another scoring shot. I watched a replay of our Rd 21 2012 game against Essendon the other day when we kicked 10 goals in the 2nd quarter and buried them with run carry handball using all our mids and half backs to attack in waves, a beautiful site indeed with Walker, Scotland and Yarren running off half back and Judd, Murph, Gibbs, McLean, Simmo, Carrots and Ed owning the corridor and wings, Carlton’s attack at its best under Ratts, mind you we lost to Gold Coast the next week and looked a shell of this run and gun side. Cost Ratts his job and us 10 years. Damn board.

Exactly happened way to often to be coincidence, need to fix this priority 1 because as I’m sure you would have seen when we do get it right, which wasn’t often, we can really cause havoc with our run and carry through the middle of the ground and good delivery to a one on one leading forward or even at times running all the way for a goal. So many times we gave up certain goals with behind the man handballs or ones at there feet, not good enough for a professional afl team, is it a confidence thing? Or is it a skills thing? A bit of both I reckon, need to keep repeating over and over and over until it is second nature no thought process just bang and away we go to another scoring shot. I watched a replay of our Rd 21 2012 game against Essendon the other day when we kicked 10 goals in the 2nd quarter and buried them with run carry handball using all our mids and half backs to attack in waves, a beautiful site indeed with Walker, Scotland and Yarren running off half back and Judd, Murph, Gibbs, McLean, Simmo, Carrots and Ed owning the corridor and wings, Carlton’s attack at its best under Ratts, mind you we lost to Gold Coast the next week and looked a shell of this run and gun side. Cost Ratts his job and us 10 years. Damn board.
Seriously though go and watch that 2nd Qtr it was magnificent.

Dow is actually one of those who misses too many surprisingly easy handballs. They obviously train for it. In fact, I'm sure they've been doing so since juniors (where senior training drills tend to be copied). And some of the players missing handballs are highly skilled, so I can only assume it's confidence and adjusting to the high tempo of senior footy.

I wonder how much of our handball skill-work is done in a stationary position, or jogging from point A to point B. Maybe we're unwittingly conditioning our players to handball to the man, instead of where he needs to be going.

It's like fielding drills for cricket. If you just train by hitting the ball at a bloke, he doesn't learn how to collect the ball while moving laterally.

Hopefully we're doing lots of drills that incorporate handballing to a player on the run. And if so, hopefully when it comes to gameday those players are on the move and don't break stride to wait for the handball to come to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how much of our handball skill-work is done in a stationary position, or jogging from point A to point B. Maybe we're unwittingly conditioning our players to handball to the man, instead of where he needs to be going.

It's like fielding drills for cricket. If you just train by hitting the ball at a bloke, he doesn't learn how to collect the ball while moving laterally.

Hopefully we're doing lots of drills that incorporate handballing to a player on the run. And if so, hopefully when it comes to gameday those players are on the move and don't break stride to wait for the handball to come to them.
One would hope in a professional environment, this is way off the mark. Must admit not a fan of the stationary "quick hands" drills, but surely there
would be enough on the move work.

Yes agree, but just think what would Williams could do with all our midfield group too.
Can’t understand why the club has'nt perused his services, such a great midfielder he'd be a perfect mentor for our talented youngsters.

Might be because he is an absolute dick of a bloke?

Good fit for Essendon.

I wonder if they practice kicking for goal from a set shot as well as in the run. Come on.....

I wonder if they practice kicking for goal from a set shot as well as in the run. Come on.....

Not saying we don't do it at all, just wondering if enough of our skill work is done under the same circumstances as we'd be executing them in a game.

Not a track watcher, so I'm not criticising, just framing a hypothetical for discussion.

Not saying we don't do it at all, just wondering if enough of our skill work is done under the same circumstances as we'd be executing them in a game.

Not a track watcher, so I'm not criticising, just framing a hypothetical for discussion.

Almost every circle work drill involves hands to a player on the move...

Hypothetical is a non starter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back