2020 All Australian Side

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Coniglio & McCluggage will make it.

From the dogs I hope Bontempelli, Macrae & Dunkley make it, but 3 mids from the same team won't happen, unless they throw Bont on the HFF.

Rampe Carlisle Stewart
Laird Andrews Hurn
B.Hill Bont Gaff
Whitfield Lynch D. Martin
Walters J. Cameron C.Cameron

Grundy Fyfe Cripps

Dangerfield Taranto Billings Neale

B: Nick Haynes - Harris Andrews - Dylan Grimes
HB: Rory Laird - Jeremy McGovern - James Sicily
C: Jackson Macrae - Marcus Bontempelli - Brad Hill
HF: Dustin Martin - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
F: Charlie Cameron - Tom Lynch - Ben Brown
R: Brodie Grundy - Patrick Cripps - Nat Fyfe
I/C: Tim Kelly - Jake Stringer - Lachie Neale - Isaac Heeney

B: Nick Haynes - Harris Andrews - Dylan Grimes
HB: Rory Laird - Jeremy McGovern - James Sicily
C: Jackson Macrae - Marcus Bontempelli - Brad Hill
HF: Dustin Martin - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
F: Charlie Cameron - Tom Lynch - Ben Brown
R: Brodie Grundy - Patrick Cripps - Nat Fyfe
I/C: Tim Kelly - Jake Stringer - Lachie Neale - Isaac Heeney

Far and away the best effort so far.

I wouldn’t have Laird/Hill and would squeeze Josh Kelly in. But that’s just my opinion.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s look at the amount of changes From 2018 to 2019.

def:
out - Laird Rance Whitfield
In - Andrews Houli grimes

surely there are better defender to come out of sides other than Richmond. I truly think Weitering can go past Andrew pretty easily. He’s peaked early whereas weiters will be on par with Rance at a minimum in years to come.

mid:
Out: Gaff Sidebottom Martin Mitchell
In: Bont Kelly Fyfe Neale

I’d take the 2019 midfield over the 2018 omg ever day of the week. Can’t see Mitchell returning as he’s not really in full training yet in February (Docherty on the other hand - side note- is in better nick than when he left). Players like Prestia, Coniglio, Kelly, Martin (to return), Dangerfield (without Kelly), Mccluggage (up and comer), Walsh (ditto), Worpel (ditto), Macrae (Best 18 rather than int), etc have the chance to jump in front but I can also see this midfield group staying. History suggests 3-4 changes per year however.

Ruck;

no change - switch of Grundy Gawn but no one is getting near these two except Naitanui with a full season.

fwd:
Out: Franklin, Gray, Gunston, Reiwoldt, Breust
In: CCameron, Walters, Hawkins, Darling, JCameron

apart from 1-2 of these I think
It will change quite dramatically again. Small forwards are so trendy they move in and out so quickly. And there are players like brown that arguably deserve a spot over consistent years on end in KP.

So overall the point to this is no one will have a clue who I’d going to be AA in 2020. 12 players changed from 2018-19. And there is absolutely no reason why a player like Weitering can make the team. His ability is already close to the last few years defenders but it’s due to playing for a poor side that he’s dismissed. Look at Andrews. The moment they improved he got in.

but on he end who ******* knows. Those picking a side similar to 2019 are way off.

I truly think Weitering can go past Andrew pretty easily. He’s peaked early whereas weiters will be on par with Rance at a minimum in years to come.

I'm interested why you think Weitering can go past Andrews so easily? Andrews is only one year older than Weitering; why has Andrews peaked at 23 yet Weitering has so much more development left in him at almost the same age?

Look at Andrews. The moment they improved he got in.

Not really. He made the AA squad in 2018 at the same age as Weitering is now, in a season where we were more competitive but only won 5 games. Then he made the team the following year. Many Lions fans would argue he was more impressive in 2018. In fact, had he not got smashed in the face by Jeremy Cameron and missed five games it's likely he would have made the team two years running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested why you think Weitering can go past Andrews so easily? Andrews is only one year older than Weitering; why has Andrews peaked at 23 yet Weitering has so much more development left in him at almost the same age?

Not really. He made the AA squad in 2018 at the same age as Weitering is now, in a season where we were more competitive but only won 5 games. Then he made the team the following year. Many Lions fans would argue he was more impressive in 2018. In fact, had he not got smashed in the face by Jeremy Cameron and missed five games it's likely he would have made the team two years running.
Because I think Weitering has more talent. He was the best thing going around in his draft year and dominated everything that came near him. Once he gets to an age where he’s confident over his opponent (which I think he’s currently reached) there won’t be many forward that can go with him. Currently at training. I know it’s only v Casboult and McGovern at the moment BUT neither can beat him AT ALL. A match sim last week had Casboult dominating on everyone. They moved weits to him and he was done. Yes it’s only preseason. And it’s also only Carlton v Carlton BUT I truly believe he’s going to blow past every tall KPD that’s on any list in 2020. Particularly with the return of jones and Docherty who he had to play without for the majority if not all of 2019. Despite that his finish to 2019 was elite. Kept hawkins to 0 as an example of one of his scalps.

lots Of factors come into this improvement for me. A lot comes down to overall team improvement. More pressure on the ball carrier in the middle. Doc enduring def setups are spot on and third man up with greater def depth. This makes carltons overall defence improve and the ones that are holding the KP will start getting noticed more. Pressure up the ground will turn Weitering (and Jones) into 1 of the best def duos in the AFL. Just watchsome highlights of the two from 2019 and imagine that happening more often by both in the exact same game.

on Andrews I think that’s as good as he’s gonna get. He won’t go backwards but he will just continue to beat his opponent on occasions and intercept/outmark. But his ceiling has already been reached. He’s probably already gone past it really. I don’t see Brisbane’s midfield getting better. The talent is probably peaking already.
FOXFOOTY has this as their midfield:
CEY - McCluggage - Robinson
Martin - Neale - Lyons
compared to:
SPS - Cripps - Walsh
Kreuzer - Murphy - Curnow
Who has the more upside? Whose got more talent? It’s close but I’m not trading the Carlton 6 for the Brisbane one over the next 5 years I’ll tell you that much.

Last edited:
What I see with my eyes. I reckon if you put them on each other Weitering out marks him. His kicking is better. And his football intelligence is greater.

Debatable. Can't say I'm convinced. I'd say Andrews is better at nullifying an opponent and if they were matched against each other I'd back Harris. Don't think either's kicking is noticeably better. Statistically Andrews has more effective kicks and less clangers. Don't know how you're measuring football intelligence, both are very intelligent footballers. Andrews appears to be ahead but maybe he'll stagnate and won't improve and Weitering will as you say. Can't really see it happening though.

on Andrews I think that’s as good as he’s gonna get. He won’t go backwards but he will just continue to beat his opponent on occasions and intercept/outmark. But his ceiling has already been reached. He’s probably already gone past it really. I don’t see Brisbane’s midfield getting better. The talent is probably peaking already.
FOXFOOTY has this as their midfield:
CEY - McCluggage - Robinson
Martin - Neale - Lyons
compared to:
SPS - Cripps - Walsh
Kreuzer - Murphy - Curnow
Who has the more upside? Whose got more talent? It’s close but I’m not trading the Carlton 6 for the Brisbane one over the next 5 years I’ll tell you that much.

We also have some young midfilders. Some go okay. Since when is Curnow an onballer? Oh wait, you mean Ed. Heh.

If he's had a full pre season and doesn't get injured he's a chance
A very minimal chance if any to be honest

2 knee recos in 3 years and limited games for a guy that relies on his leap is a huge ask. 2021 after 2 full pre seasons and a full season of games and it becomes a different story

B:Grimes Andrews Vlastuin
HB: Haynes Moore Sicily
C:B.Hill Fyfe J.Kelly
HF: Greene J.Cameron De Goey
FF: Martin Lynch C.Cameron
Foll: Grundy Cripps T.Kelly
INT: Bontempelli Prestia **** Treloar

****2nd Rucks: Nic Nat, Marshall, Gawn

B:Grimes Andrews Vlastuin
HB: Haynes Moore Sicily
C:B.Hill Fyfe J.Kelly
HF: Greene J.Cameron De Goey
FF: Martin Lynch C.Cameron
Foll: Grundy Cripps T.Kelly
INT: Bontempelli Prestia **** Treloar

****2nd Rucks: Nic Nat, Marshall, Gawn
Surely you could fit another Richmond player or two in there. Why not, it's your imaginative prediction. Just go for it. We know you want to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back