2nds 2020 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew he couldn't mark but I'm surprised at how poor Archie is at ground level. Loses his feet virtually every time. Hard to see him improving much beyond where he is at right now. Which is sad because he enjoys his footy and seems like a nice bloke.

I knew he couldn't mark but I'm surprised at how poor Archie is at ground level. Loses his feet virtually every time. Hard to see him improving much beyond where he is at right now. Which is sad because he enjoys his footy and seems like a nice bloke.
Agreed. Archie seems like a great lad, but I'm with you, I just don't see the point now, you can't just be a good ruckmen, which he is, but then offer virtually nothing outside of that.

We've invested 7 years in him think in him so if there is an opportunity to have real good look at him now is the time.
The amount of time invested in him is irrelevant, it's a sunk cost fallacy. What matters is what he can actually do in games for us this season. The coaching staff have had those 7 years to have a real good look at him and it's pretty clear that he isn't useful as anything more than a tap ruck at present. Why isn't this an opportunity to have a real good look at Skinner, Ballenden and Wooller to see whether they look more promising? I find the coaching staff's decisions on this matter bewildering, hope they have a good plan in place that I haven't understood yet.

Re Archie - i thought he showed a little more this week, leaping more aggressively at centre bounces and at least doing some follow up work at ground level. Though still not enough for him to hold his place at senior level if there was any serious competition. He seems to have gone backwards. I wonder whether playing first ruck against undersized part time footballers in the strongest side in the NEAFL has actually stunted his development.

Perhaps the coaches will give him 4 or 5 games to see if he can continue his improvement?

I think Ballenden is the future, but we have to remember last time he was sighted (in the practice match) he still needed a fair bit of development in terms of body positioning and general aggression. His form in the scratch matches may not be warranting selection. Acknowledging he was an emergency this week.

It's an incredibly poor effort by the club to communicate nothing to the fans about the reserves. I understand that they've laid off non-essential staff, but the relationship with the fans suffers from the lack of engagement. I don't know why they continue to ban crowds from the games either, given we can have 10k at a seniors match, soon to be more.

Honestly I fail to see how their reserves beat ours.
This article & short video on reserves game from Adelaide
No mention of score as it is not recorded. Clubs can of course do scoring if they want.
Adelaide had some experienced players that played: Crouch, Seedsman, Hartigan, Knight

The Lions need to put something up on our site. How hard is it to do a 2 minute video rundown of the game.

I hope Hinge put in a good performance. He might hope to get picked up as a delisted free agent by one of the Adelaide clubs.
Hinge was emergency twice this year so he may be a chance to replace Zorko on the weekend.
As we have no idea as to who is performing will just have to wait till Thursday to find out
However against an experienced Port side we may go with more experienced players in Christensen or even Mathiesen

Hinge was emergency twice this year so he may be a chance to replace Zorko on the weekend.
As we have no idea as to who is performing will just have to wait till Thursday to find out
However against an experienced Port side we may go with more experienced players in Christensen or even Mathiesen
I meant I hope Hinge performs well in the reserves against the Adelaide teams.

Wasn’t suggesting he’s a chance for a call up.

The amount of time invested in him is irrelevant, it's a sunk cost fallacy. What matters is what he can actually do in games for us this season. The coaching staff have had those 7 years to have a real good look at him and it's pretty clear that he isn't useful as anything more than a tap ruck at present. Why isn't this an opportunity to have a real good look at Skinner, Ballenden and Wooller to see whether they look more promising? I find the coaching staff's decisions on this matter bewildering, hope they have a good plan in place that I haven't understood yet.
Agree, Also I believe Skinner and Wooller out of contract this year, so I hope they get a chance in at least a few games. Really difficult for them to show what they have with only a couple of AFL games, that's if they get selected. Seems to me to be a bit of a boys club with Lester (who is playing OK) and Birchall preventing opportunities for some of the young guys. Still think Answerth is stiff not to be playing.

It's an incredibly poor effort by the club to communicate nothing to the fans about the reserves. I understand that they've laid off non-essential staff, but the relationship with the fans suffers from the lack of engagement. I don't know why they continue to ban crowds from the games either, given we can have 10k at a seniors match, soon to be more.
From what I've seen elsewhere, we're not the only fanbase in the cold about what is happening at reserves matches. I've got some vague memories about the AFL having some rules about scratch matches being kinda closed-doors, which may be the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can interstate clubs hubing in QLD do a reasonable reserves scratch match report and we as a local club and you would assume more staff on hand give our fans zilch/nada/zero/duck eggs/naught? :think: :rolleyes:

I very rarely criticise our club but surely we could ask one of our coaches there to sit down and spend 15 minutes writing up a report, come on Lions.

From what I've seen elsewhere, we're not the only fanbase in the cold about what is happening at reserves matches. I've got some vague memories about the AFL having some rules about scratch matches being kinda closed-doors, which may be the issue.
Then let me rephrase, it is poor that any club is failing to report on reserves matches, including ours. And the crowd issue is yet another illogical action by the AFL.

Why can interstate clubs hubing in QLD do a reasonable reserves scratch match report and we as a local club and you would assume more staff on hand give our fans zilch/nada/zero/duck eggs/naught? :think: :rolleyes:

I very rarely criticise our club but surely we could ask one of our coaches there to sit down and spend 15 minutes writing up a report, come on Lions.

My understanding is that the AFL were pretty strict with clubs that they weren't to publicise or report info from the scratch matches. There was an exemption given for the clubs going into hubs however, as they wanted more opportunities to communicate to/connect with their fans back home. I think some other clubs have pushed the boundaries a bit, and the AFL now seems to have relented on it - I'd expect to hear a little more about them from this point onwards.

My understanding is that the AFL were pretty strict with clubs that they weren't to publicise or report info from the scratch matches. There was an exemption given for the clubs going into hubs however, as they wanted more opportunities to communicate to/connect with their fans back home. I think some other clubs have pushed the boundaries a bit, and the AFL now seems to have relented on it - I'd expect to hear a little more about them from this point onwards.
What a nonsensical decision. Of course, we'll hear stuff about the 13 games we're about to play against Gold Coast, geez that's gonna be repetitive.

Oh OK I hadn't heard that, although as JB said what an absurd laughable ruling by the AFL if that is the case.

Agree, Also I believe Skinner and Wooller out of contract this year, so I hope they get a chance in at least a few games. Really difficult for them to show what they have with only a couple of AFL games, that's if they get selected. Seems to me to be a bit of a boys club with Lester (who is playing OK) and Birchall preventing opportunities for some of the young guys. Still think Answerth is stiff not to be playing.

You’ve been on Mars for a few weeks if you think Lester is going ‘ok’. He’s been our second best defender this year!

Good to see Dom giving us something at least.

I like that Ballenden has been leading the ruck in the last couple of weeks. If he has a future I think it is as a second ruck / forward and he needs a fair bit of work in ruck craft. I hope he progresses quickly.

Also liked that McFayden is playing a reasonable amount of midfield by the sounds of it. I very much like the idea of a big bodied mid who can go forward and kick goals. Hopefully Connor can step up and demand a game later in the year.

Hinge getting a call out is no real surprise. He usually looks good in the level below. Witherden sounds like he has his nose out of joint a bit but is working to get back. If he regains the form he had earlier in his career and builds on that a little break in the reserves will be time well spent. It is what I think we should be doing with Rayner actually albeit he has been a bit better the last couple of weeks.

Of the first year players it sounds like Coleman and Robertson are doing well and might not be far away from getting a shot. Smith has been playing as a third tall. I expect he will be the Gardner back up. Prior is playing on a back flank and wing. His disposal got a call out which is not a surprise but good to have it acknowledged and shown that he has been able to bring one of strengths with him to the next level.

Payne did not get a mention apart from saying he has a chance to play on Hogan. Fullarton is going okay and doing some back up rucking which will help him get a chance at the next level. Skinner sounds like he might not have gotten much game time so far. Christensen played for the opposition one week but did not get a mention other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back