Rating the crop of last 2 years draftees, I'd go
1 Ash
2 Green
3 Hill
4 Riccardi
5 Idun
6 Caldwell
7 Hately.

Three haven't done enough to warrant rating, O"halloran, Hutchesson, Briggs.
[/QUOTE]
I’d go
Green
Ash
Riccardi
Hill
Caldwell
Hately
Idun (just because I feel we have barely seen him).

I feel strongly Williams is as good as gone to North Melbourne. They will have a s**t tonne of cap space to play around with, and he’s exactly what they need. We won’t be able to compete with the offer.

I feel strongly Williams is as good as gone to North Melbourne. They will have a sh*t tonne of cap space to play around with, and he’s exactly what they need. We won’t be able to compete with the offer.
Especially after today's culling

Idun seriously above Caldwell and Hately? I know they're rumoured to leave but lets not be ridiculous
Maybe, but Hately is soooo vanilla I can't see where he helps. Drafted as a Tommo replacement? Well, Idun is the ready-made Corr replacement.
Can't see why Hately would be at Giants next year, unless both Caldwell and XO leave.

Maybe, but Hately is soooo vanilla I can't see where he helps. Drafted as a Tommo replacement? Well, Idun is the ready-made Corr replacement.
Can't see why Hately would be at Giants next year, unless both Caldwell and XO leave.
Huh? Idun ready made Corr replacement is a little optimistic, needs to add to his disposal numbers. I agree Hately is vanilla, but he's contributed far more than Idun

Huh? Idun ready made Corr replacement is a little optimistic, needs to add to his disposal numbers. I agree Hately is vanilla, but he's contributed far more than Idun
If Hately is given time on the park I reckon he will come along strong our problem is our depth is too strong but our side is alot out of whack in the mids and fwds

If Hately is given time on the park I reckon he will come along strong our problem is our depth is too strong but our side is alot out of whack in the mids and fwds
Yeah no doubt I think Hately will be a good player at Adelaide, but nothing exceptional, doesn't have the athleticism to be a superstar big bodied mid along the lines of Fyfe. I just find it hard to see where, even with more opportunity, he'd prosper in. Inside mid I don't think he'll end up better than Green, TT or Hopper, maybe as a forward he could make it for us?
I'm not going to be losing sleep over Hately leaving though, Caldwell and XOH, if they leave will however sadden me

I wouldn't rule out Kelly requesting a trade
North is the only club I would want him to nominate, no one else is gonna get us the picks that'll be equal compensation. I know there's some sniffing from Collingwood, that'd be probably the worst case scenario unless they find some other picks

North is the only club I would want him to nominate, no one else is gonna get us the picks that'll be equal compensation. I know there's some sniffing from Collingwood, that'd be probably the worst case scenario unless they find some other picks
Would kelly be a free agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think he's been in the league long enough, gotta be 8 years to be an RFA so would just be treated as a regular OOC, I can't claim to know what that opt out clause looks like though

Don't think he's been in the league long enough, gotta be 8 years to be an RFA so would just be treated as a regular OOC, I can't claim to know what that opt out clause looks like though
No, he's a restricted free agent at end of next year - provided the set-up of his contract effectively has a contract end date with options to re-sign (which seems to be the description). Hence, if he leaves GWS this year, a trade is required - which potentially brings in a bigger return than FA next year if he were to leave.

Jon Ralph just said Josh Kelly is locked in for next year but Williams is going. Probably to Carlton.
Jezza has an offer from Geelong and Perryman has one from Port.
Hately, Caldwell and XOH as suspected, have big contract offers from other clubs to consider.

Last edited:
Worst case scenario if we lost Cameron, Perryman, Williams, Caldwell and Hately:

Ash Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Cumming
Kelly Coniglio Taranto
Greene Riccardi Lloyd
Hill HH Daniels
Flynn Hopper Green

Finlayson XOH Ward Idun

As an aside. If we were really screwed culture wise why the hell would 15 players be wanting to hang out together after being locked together for months.
Culture isn't "we're all happy and get along" in all fairness, a lot of that original Gold Coast squad were great mates but had s**t culture because they were more interested in doing drugs and going clubbing than playing footy, which isn't what I think we have going on, I think we've gotten stale in a sense, there's never anyone traded in to bring in new ideas or methods from other clubs. You look at a Gold Coast and St Kilda and how much they've improved by adding BEllis and Butler respectively, obviously more to it than just those additions but that history of success can help a club push to another level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back