List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, where in that story did you find the info re Lloyd, Reid & Sproule? I'm not surprised if that's the case - it mostly matches my thinking

Both near the end of the article. Also Sproule out and Josh Green in works for me.

Meantime, Greater Western Sydney will re-contract Daniel Lloyd and Sam Reid.

Others without deals include: Flynn Appleby, Rupert Wills (Collingwood), Zach Guthrie, Ben Jarvis (Geelong), Zach Sproule (GWS), Keegan Brooksby, Changkuoth Jiath, Harrison Jones, Dylan Moore (Hawthorn), Toby Bedford (Melbourne), Ed Vickers-Willis, Will Walker (North Melbourne), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite (Richmond), Oscar Clavarino (St Kilda), Hayden McLean (Sydney), Brayden Ainsworth, Mark Hutchings (West Coast), Ben Cavarra, Will Hayes, Roarke Smith (Western Bulldogs).

So given the primary list can't be more then 38 and with the re-signing of Lloyd and assuming he stays on the primary list that leaves 5 spots at the most on the primary list.

The primary list must have no fewer than 36 players and no more than 38

Do we look at taking Harrison Macreadie in the rookie draft as a back-up tall defender. He is a former GWS Academy player; taken by Carlton and played 8 games in his debut year of 2017, but after that injuries cruelled him to only one more game. A one year contract to see if our medicos and he can ‘get himself right’?

Also interesting that Carlton have delisted Matthew Kennedy, although he has been promised a rookie position.

Would prefer O McDonald. 81 games with plenty left in tank. Plug and play when Davis gets injured next.

Just came over to say I totally agree with everything Jason McCartney said about Dodoro & Essendon - they are chumps to deal with at trade time.

First rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract with a "non-negotiable" fourth year trigger (e.g. 10 games first year, 25 games by year 2 or 40 games by end year 3). There should also be pay increment or games bonuses in that 3-4 year contracts so young stars are rewarded sensibly for playing.

Second rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract without the fourth year triggers.

Third round and onwards happy with a 2 year contract.

This would also sharpen recruiters somewhat.

Good discussion.
Understand the concept but I don't think it's realistic, lots of players(even early picks) struggle to get to afl level after being drafted and clubs need to be able to cut losses relatively early because of list size restrictions.

I know this wouldn’t be a popular view but I reckon Geelong might go after one of our inside mids next year. With Selwoods end nearing, I could see them going after Hopper/Taranto.
I’m not that against it to be honest. I reckon we need more burst in there. It would allow a XOH to move in there... and he’s quicker than Hopper and has a better tank.
It’s looking likely that Green might be the best of the midfield bulls, so with him and Taranto in there that is more than enough stoppage power.
What do you guys think?
I'm sure we would love to have one of your top mids, you have some serious talent there... but I can't see it happening. I suspect we will be shopping for rucks and KPD's next season, not midfielders.

Hey guys and girls how are we all?

Sorry to ask but I've got a random question and while this may be the wrong thread I'm hoping someone could help me out.

I know that back in 2016 there was multiple pick swaps and players traded in order for you to acquire the selection used to draft Tim Taranto that year.

Does anyone know what it ended up costing in full at all?

Hey guys and girls how are we all?

Sorry to ask but I've got a random question and while this may be the wrong thread I'm hoping someone could help me out.

I know that back in 2016 there was multiple pick swaps and players traded in order for you to acquire the selection used to draft Tim Taranto that year.

Does anyone know what it ended up costing in full at all?

GWS Giants traded Cam McCarthy, along with draft selections No.7, No.34 and No.72 to the Fremantle Dockers for their first selection at the draft, No.3 overall.

GWS Giants traded picks No.3 and No.16 to the Brisbane Lions for picks No.2, No.31, No.51 and No.60.

GWS Giants traded Cam McCarthy, along with draft selections No.7, No.34 and No.72 to the Fremantle Dockers for their first selection at the draft, No.3 overall.

GWS Giants traded picks No.3 and No.16 to the Brisbane Lions for picks No.2, No.31, No.51 and No.60.

Thanks very much for taking the time and making the effort to respond to my post - much appreciated.

My understanding was that the pick in question was obtained by undertaking the following trades:

GWS Giants traded Cam McCarthy, along with draft selections No.7 (received from Collingwood as part of the Adam Treloar Trade in 2015), No.34 (from Carlton in exchange for Lachie Plowman, Andrew Phillips, Liam Sumner and Jed Lamb) and No.72 (received from North Melbourne in exchange for Paul Ahern) to the Fremantle Dockers for their first selection at the draft, No.3 overall.

GWS Giants traded picks No.3 and No.16 (received from Carlton and tied to Geelong in exchange for GWS First Round Selection being Pick 8 in 2015) to the Brisbane Lions for picks No.2, No.31, No.51 and No.60.

Pick 2 was then taken to the Draft and used to select Tim Taranto in 2016.

That's a whole lot of movement to get your desired target and I know that he was rated extremely highly (and rightfully so) by your club, who effectively moved heaven and earth to get him.

Kids an absolute jet 🤩

Thanks very much for taking the time and making the effort to respond to my post - much appreciated.

My understanding was that the pick in question was obtained by undertaking the following trades:

GWS Giants traded Cam McCarthy, along with draft selections No.7 (received from Collingwood as part of the Adam Treloar Trade in 2015), No.34 (from Carlton in exchange for Lachie Plowman, Andrew Phillips, Liam Sumner and Jed Lamb) and No.72 (received from North Melbourne in exchange for Paul Ahern) to the Fremantle Dockers for their first selection at the draft, No.3 overall.

GWS Giants traded picks No.3 and No.16 (received from Carlton and tied to Geelong in exchange for GWS First Round Selection being Pick 8 in 2015) to the Brisbane Lions for picks No.2, No.31, No.51 and No.60.

Pick 2 was then taken to the Draft and used to select Tim Taranto in 2016.

That's a whole lot of movement to get your desired target and I know that he was rated extremely highly (and rightfully so) by your club, who effectively moved heaven and earth to get him.

Kids an absolute jet 🤩
It is worth remembering that we had a strong academy class that year, so it was as much about points as anything else. It was no sacrifice all those trade downs.

We picked up Setterfield, Perryman and Cumming in the first round, took Tizanni late and passed on McCreadie in the draft proper and picked up Zach Sproule in the Rookie draft.

So all we wanted was one high end pick (ahead of Setterfield) as well as our academy kids.

Very different to this year for instance where the sacrifice to move up would be real.

Thanks for the insight - I guess given the dramatic drop in quality after the projected first few picks and the uncertainty of the draft pool itself, that this year would be one where your club wouldn't need or want multiple mid - late first round selections and would most likely have an intended target at the pointy end of the draft?

Thanks for the insight - I guess given the dramatic drop in quality after the projected first few picks and the uncertainty of the draft pool itself, that this year would be one where your club wouldn't need or want multiple mid - late first round selections and would most likely have an intended target at the pointy end of the draft?
Our board is quite split on this. Personally I see merit to both sides but lean towards getting into the top 5 and taking a KPD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our board is quite split on this. Personally I see merit to both sides but lean towards getting into the top 5 and taking a KPD

I could totally see why your supporter base would be split - just figured that given your recent departures that perhaps you'd be seeking quality over quantity and back yourselves in to not only select the right player, but also have them buy into the club and stay long term.

While I'm intrigued with who we'll take with our highest selection in close to two decades, I'm wondering if we'd in fact be better splitting our pick into 3-4 selections and obtain multiple solid citizens as opposed to trying to land a star.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out either way I guess.

Thanks for the response and hope you guys do well regardless 😁

Last edited:
I could totally see why your supporter base would be split - just figured that given your recent departures that perhaps you'd be seeking quality over quantity and back yourselfs in to not only select the right player, but also have them buy into the club and stay long term.

While I'm intrigued with who we'll take with our highest selection in close to two decades, I'm wondering if we'd in fact be better splitting our pick into 3-4 selections and obtain multiple solid citizens as opposed to trying to land a star.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out either way I guess.

Thanks for the response and hope you guys do well regardless 😁
You should def split your pick imo

might be with us might not be.... but you have a chance to get two first round picks in.... you would be silly not to imo

You should def split your pick imo

might be with us might not be.... but you have a chance to get two first round picks in.... you would be silly not to imo

Both options have merit, if it's not with yourselves then Collingwood would be a real possibility.

Their pair of firsts and next years would probably get it done you'd think.

Although any one of Elijah Hollands, Riley Thilthorpe or Will Phillips would also be great.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Did you guys and girls here have anyone in particular you'd be hoping your club targets?

Understand the concept but I don't think it's realistic, lots of players(even early picks) struggle to get to afl level after being drafted and clubs need to be able to cut losses relatively early because of list size restrictions.

Why unrealistic. Most clubs fall over themselves to extend first round picks in first 3 months of players being there. Maybe top 30 are minimum 3 yrs with some triggers. Try being a "why not" person for a week. It would be good for your personal development!

Both options have merit, if it's not with yourselves then Collingwood would be a real possibility.

Their pair of firsts and next years would probably get it done you'd think.

Although any one of Elijah Hollands, Riley Thilthorpe or Will Phillips would also be great.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Did you guys and girls here have anyone in particular you'd be hoping your club targets?
You might get next year's first plus two in the teens this year from Collingwood

Bigfooty Phantom Draft starts today for all that are interested, I think I've been pretty vocal about what I see as some lsit needs of ours so I won't be pulling too many surprises, at least not with the first 3 picks

Hi all,

Just wanting to know what type of player you think the giants would be targeting in the draft with their first. As a north supporter I’m trying to work out the types of player left on the board at 11.

Specifically I’m hoping for Cox and to a lesser degree Reid. And I feel one of those will be available after Essendon’s picks. I can’t see the crows going for a tall defender, so that leaves the Giants.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Meanwhile, veteran Sam Reid and local forward Zach Sproule have been delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back