List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, veteran Sam Reid and local forward Zach Sproule have been delisted.

But club has committed to re-drafting Reid in the Rookie Draft next month. While its a wait and see on Sproule.

But club has committed to re-drafting Reid in the Rookie Draft next month. While its a wait and see on Sproule.
Why did we need to delist Sam Reid? He wasn't at the 3 year limit yet was he? And he was already on the rookie list. What am I missing?

Why did we need to delist Sam Reid? He wasn't at the 3 year limit yet was he? And he was already on the rookie list. What am I missing?

From what I can see we last redrafted him as rookie in 2017 so this was his 3rd rookie year.

I wasn't expecting to be able to say this, and he's not the highest on my list but I reckon he's got the least chance of being there at my next one

Pick 13 - GWS Giants

Tanner Bruhn
Geelong Falcons
Midfielder/ General Forward
183 cm 74 kg

View attachment 1018218

I'll be completely honest I had written off Tanner being available at any of my picks. I've recently been re-watching some footage and one kid that has jumped up as a favourite of the draft for me is Tanner. It's not often you find a guy that can win inside and outside ball, whilst hurting opposition with their disposal like Tanner does so consistently, and despite not being gifted with speed it's his composure, that as a lazy comparison can come across Pendlebury-esque, that allows him to get away from opponents with ease and make every disposal hurt.

If anyone has any doubt about how good this guy CAN be, watch his game against Dandenong Stingrays in 2019, not a massive game stats wise bu there isn't a single disposal wasted, not a single tackle not applied strongly, not a single second where you can fault his workrate or game sense.

The durability side of him is a slight concern I'm happy to admit, but his best to date is up there amongst the top 5 of this draft, and if all goes right I can realistically see Tanner being a better prospect than some of the more highly spoken about mids of the draft.

I see him starting Round 1 as long as he stays healthy, as a general forward, and gradually increasing midfield time to make a good trio with Taranto and Green for a good 5 years.

he also looks great in orange
View attachment 1018223

giantroo don't select the player I want at 14 cheers
first pick of the phantom, yes I do paint commissions on request :p

first pick of the phantom, yes I do paint commissions on request :p
Yes, happy with that choice. While I worry somewhat about his injury, the quality is surely there (and more confirmed than Aiden Bonar whom we took at 11 with injury issues). Fingers crossed for who makes it past Freo ...

Yes, happy with that choice. While I worry somewhat about his injury, the quality is surely there (and more confirmed than Aiden Bonar whom we took at 11 with injury issues). Fingers crossed for who makes it past Freo ...
I'm happy with taking one of 2 WA boys with our next pick, but have a strong preference towards someone on the taller side :p
Knew Tanner selection would risk the two talls I was looking at go the next two picks but I was willing to chance it

I'm happy with taking one of 2 WA boys with our next pick, but have a strong preference towards someone on the taller side :p
Knew Tanner selection would risk the two talls I was looking at go the next two picks but I was willing to chance it
I agree. In the mock draft that I participated in, I didn't realise that Tanner was available when I made my first choice - otherwise I would have selected him and risked the guy I did choose ... gotta back class, and he's be a good inside/outside mid choice.

I agree. In the mock draft that I participated in, I didn't realise that Tanner was available when I made my first choice - otherwise I would have selected him and risked the guy I did choose ... gotta back class, and he's be a good inside/outside mid choice.
My only hesitation in terms of list fit is that he's not particularly fast, so doesn't directly address our speed issue, but as I mentioned his composure gives him that appearance of being fast, gets good separation for a guy that doesn't have great acceleration

My only hesitation in terms of list fit is that he's not particularly fast, so doesn't directly address our speed issue, but as I mentioned his composure gives him that appearance of being fast, gets good separation for a guy that doesn't have great acceleration
Agree - I was (and hope our recruiters are) looking for a mixture of speed, composure & precision kicking. Someone with all 3 ...

Pick 17 - GWS Giants

Oliver Henry
Geelong Falcons
General Utility
188 cm 77kg

View attachment 1018283

Lets make a trend of Geelong Falcons boys only hey. Henry is one of the more exciting prospects of the draft, thanks largely to his athleticism, but also due to the versatility he has, having played both as a defender and forward in his time in the 'spotlight' and showing a lot of promise either end, it's a win/win selection for a club like GWS who have a need for the role he plays up either end.

Down in the backline I see him playing a similar role to James Sicily, as an undersized intercept player with his read of the ball in flight and marking. It's a role we currently have Nick Haynes playing, the key differences between the two being Height and disposal skill, which I favour Henry in, which would allow for Haynes to extend his career playing as a standard 1 on 1 defender when he starts to lose a bit of speed and leap.

In the forward line, I'd say Connor Rozee is a fair comparison for Oliver, as an athletic medium that can play as a target or crumber, again using his athleticism and in particular his leap to outmark opponents.

There's also a chance he could make it as a midfielder, having shown great skills and decision making up either end there's scope to push him up if necessary. From a GWS POV I'd hope to develop him as a defender, that's where I've liked him most up until this point, and foot skill in particular is a particular area of weakness for us

View attachment 1018284

Pie 4 Life up now, no match required

Yeah just realised that'd be the case

Pick 18 - GWS GIANTS

Jack Carroll
East Fremantle
Midfielder/ General Forward
188 cm 76 kg

View attachment 1018299

I knew making this call early would pay off.

Carroll is a super classy player who's shown talent and reliability as a defender, midfielder and forward over the last 18 months, showing that if he's fit, he's ready to play anywhere he goes Round 1. A big theme of my other 2 selections has been disposal efficiency and decision making, two of Carroll strongest attributes as a player, he very rarely wastes a disposal, or a lead or a run around a stoppage, everything he does is calculated and will 99% of the time work how he planned it to, or at least that's how it seems.

As stated he has the capacity to play anywhere on ground, but long term I see him developing as a really solid winger that plays as an extra rover at stoppages, he has the game sense to be that dangerous Quarter back type player, with all the qualities you look for in a link up type of Winger. Has the capacity to play as a rover straight up, but I'd prefer to keep him on the outside to fully utilise his strengths.

I couldn't find an appropriate picture to paint a GWS Guernsey onto sorry

Now Pie 4 Life

Look forward to see him stealing games from highly drafted talent again and expediting their exits from the club 👍👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a huge fan of Oliver Henry - I prefer what Chapman would bring as clearly superior. But fair enough of who was available. Would be happy with Carroll, think he is versatile with lots of upside.
Yeah, as I said with the McInnes bid if Chapman was there that was instant selection and then I'd have followed up with Carroll. I have a little something up my sleeve for my last pick now, just hope no one else pulls the trigger

Why unrealistic. Most clubs fall over themselves to extend first round picks in first 3 months of players being there. Maybe top 30 are minimum 3 yrs with some triggers. Try being a "why not" person for a week. It would be good for your personal development!
Its unrealistic because 20% of players picked in the first round don't manage ten games over there career, and if you mandate a maximum list size its unfair to clubs who draft these players to be forced to keep them for three years. It's not like 20% of draft choices are s**t, its just that you don't know how someone will respond to AFL demands until they have been subjected to them.

Its unrealistic because 20% of players picked in the first round don't manage ten games over there career, and if you mandate a maximum list size its unfair to clubs who draft these players to be forced to keep them for three years. It's not like 20% of draft choices are sh*t, its just that you don't know how someone will respond to AFL demands until they have been subjected to them.
How many first rounders are delisted after 2 years?

Pick 23 - GWS Giants

Errol Gulden
UNSW Bulldogs/ Sydney Swans Academy
Small Utility
175 cm 75 kg

View attachment 1018407
Absolutely stoked to get a NSW local at the club, and one that has a lot of promise. While the big question mark over Errol remains whether he can adapt to playing largely as a Small Forward at the next level I have very little doubt that he can be that and more. Again, a big theme of my selections so far have been two things: versatility and impact, Errol is another that has both of these down pact, often taking some of the more daring options and having them pay off, it's an asset to any team and something we see less and less of with each new crop coming through. Errol backs his footy IQ and read of the game to win ball, or be in the right spot for a handball out of the contest when he's already moving at speed, that sort of attack and instinct is something that will benefit any team the more of it you have.

Ideally, Errol eventually fits in to our Best 22 playing some midfield and forward, rotating with Brent Daniels through both roles as they have similar traits

I don't really have much more, I think a bid should have come sooner and I'm stoked to be taking a player like this in this spot

and of course he looks good in orange

View attachment 1018410
Pick 32 - GWS GIANTS

Tom Highmore
South Adelaide
Tall Defender
192 cm 89 kg

View attachment 1018538
The upper end of his range, but to round out the National Draft selections of GWS I've gone with mature ager and former Academy Member Tom Highmore, one of the best Mature Age prospects for this years draft, Tom made the move to the SANFL from the NEAFL and improved on his form in a much stronger league, showing that despite being quite developed already there's room for improvement, and I think in an AFL system with stronger players around him, that's bound to happen. When you're looking at the strengths of Highmore there's a lot there to like, his marking, read of the play and disposal skills are highlights for a taller player.

Doesn't have many weaknesses, he's a little underwhelming speed wise but makes up for it with positioning and how proactive he is, truly a Round 1 ready player, and one I'd say can come in replace Aidan Corr really well.

As I've said it's the upper end of his range, some might say too early but I don't think anything else around here in terms of KPDs excites me a whole heap, and he's certainly not lasting until the rookie draft if we do one, and the other couple of players I was considering likely will be

giantroo up now

Final two picks of ours in the phantom

Figure that would be the hope ... Hawks wanting to get more first round talent. But I would be concerned that they'd want too many of our picks for #4. Not even sure Hollands would be best choice there anyway, or that he'd be there anyway. We shall see obviously.

You're absolutely right and guess it depends on how many would be considered too many.

What I do know though is that when your club has a specific target in the draft you go hard out to land them.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back