List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

In an ideal world we would love to keep him.
I'm guessing we'll lose someone end of the year, not sure who, but Finlayson is one that is a risk of going.
If you guys did lose him you will must likely get a first round draft pick or late first round draft pick for him anything less then those 2 options will be a insulting. I think he will most likely to stay then leave I would have him at the bulldogs in a heartbeat but we have Josh Bruce,Aaron Naughton , Josh Schache and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan NAG in this years draft so It’s unlikely we will be interested. Hope he stays for you guys though really do

Last edited:
If you guys did lose him you will must likely get a first round draft pick or late first round draft pick for him anything less then those 2 options will be a insulting.

Given that not a single club wanted him in his draft year (un-bid on and taken at pick 85) and then when he was shopped during trade week at the end of 2018 and any club could have had him for a packet of chips and a can of coke, only to be unwanted by every other club in the league yet again - I find this value... amusing.

What a difference a year makes.

Not sure if it is just me but it seems the articles on this years free agents are seriously overrating Corr due to his free agent status
IMO he is a ok player and looks good because of the star players around him although hopefully he re-signs

Not sure if it is just me but it seems the articles on this years free agents are seriously overrating Corr due to his free agent status
IMO he is a ok player and looks good because of the star players around him although hopefully he re-signs
I rate him highly.
Don't think he gets the credit he is due.
We have more depth down back than up front though, so if we were going to lose someone O could cop him.
That said, I'd like to keep him

I think I’m in an obvious minority that would have no problem seeing Finlayson leave.
We're going to lose some players. I rate others that are a risk to leave higher (Caldwell, Hately and so forth)
My main concern if he goes, it is the tall forwards is the only spot Im not confident we have a replacement. I guess it would be Riccardi, Unless they have confidence in Briggs to play forward.
Everywhere else we have the depth to cover now and in the future.

Jezza and Zac are number 1 retention targets.. and number one recruitment targets for other clubs.

Im assuming Perryman just re-signs, Briggs probably the same, but I shouldnt be so confident I guess.

Corr, Finlayson, Caldwell, Hately , XOH will definitely get some attention frm others, assuming we keep both Williams and Cameron, we will lose at least 1 of those.

Of that lot I probably have Finlayson closer to the bottom than the top on ability, but hardest to replace. So not sure who I would rather lose.

A few others, Im not sure where they are at (Langdon for instance, I have no idea if other clubs will want him, whether he stays with us or what)

Last edited:
Where going to lose some players. I rate others that are a risk to leave higher (Caldwell, Hately and so forth)
My main concern if he goes, it is the tall forwards is the only spot Im not confident we have a replacement. I guess it would be Riccardi, Unless they have confidence in Briggs to play forward.
Everywhere else we have the depth to cover now and in the future.

Jezza and Zac are number 1 retention targets.. and number one recruitment targets for other clubs.

Im assuming Perryman just re-signs, Briggs probably the same, but I shouldnt be so confident I guess.

Corr, Finlayson, Caldwell, Hately , XOH will definitely get some attention frm others, assuming we keep both Williams and Cameron, we will lose at least 1 of those.

Of that lot I probably have Finlayson closer to the bottom than the top on ability, but hardest to replace. So not sure who I would rather lose.

A few others, Im not sure where they are at (Langdon for instance, I have no idea if other clubs will want him, whether he stays with us or what)
Can see Finlayson being a similar situation to Dahlhaus at the Dogs.

When he hit free agency, we had a price we were willing to pay, and not a cent more. He was a type we needed (small pressure forward) but his performances weren't good enough in recent times to justify the wages he wanted. Geelong offered more, we wouldn't go that high, so he left. Would have kept him otherwise, but not overpay.

You guys will likely have your price for Finlayson, but are even less likely to overpay than we were, considering you also have Cameron and Williams to worry about.

Re: Caldwell. Some ITKs (C4 from Carlton board plus another on our board who called Josh Bruce months before he was linked to us in the media) have been linking us to him over the last year, and it was no secret we rated him in his draft year only marginally behind Smith. Curious what you guys think his trade price would be in the event he did leave? Bonar was taken at a similar pick, and ended up traded for a pick upgrade (future 3rd for Bonar + future 4th).

I rate Caldwell over Bonar, but clearly he's having similar issues where he's copping injuries and sitting back in the queue for spots. On the other hand, I don't know what Caldwell's salary situation is. I know Bonar was on a massively overinflated salary, so his low trade price was more for the purpose of a salary dump, which may not be the case with Caldwell.

When he hit free agency, we had a price we were willing to pay, and not a cent more. He was a type we needed (small pressure forward) but his performances weren't good enough in recent times to justify the wages he wanted. Geelong offered more, we wouldn't go that high, so he left. Would have kept him otherwise, but not overpay.

You guys will likely have your price for Finlayson, but are even less likely to overpay than we were, considering you also have Cameron and Williams to worry about.

IMO this is a fairly likely scenario.

Re: Caldwell. Some ITKs (C4 from Carlton board plus another on our board who called Josh Bruce months before he was linked to us in the media) have been linking us to him over the last year, and it was no secret we rated him in his draft year only marginally behind Smith. Curious what you guys think his trade price would be in the event he did leave? Bonar was taken at a similar pick, and ended up traded for a pick upgrade (future 3rd for Bonar + future 4th).

I rate Caldwell over Bonar, but clearly he's having similar issues where he's copping injuries and sitting back in the queue for spots. On the other hand, I don't know what Caldwell's salary situation is. I know Bonar was on a massively overinflated salary, so his low trade price was more for the purpose of a salary dump, which may not be the case with Caldwell.
Would be interesting what we would want for Caldwell if he does leave( I rate him highly so hope he doesnt go).
Bonar was probably further away and was a high risk reward selection when we got him, Caldwell I think was rated far higher both at selection and now. We took not much in trade value for Bonar, but offloaded the entire contract. This time, no salary cap bonus, but also not contracted, so we cant play too hard ball.
A lot will depend on what he shows this year. If he plays a fair bit, he could be worth a first with us giving a sweetener, or as low as a third or swap pick if he gets injured again or doesn't do a whole lot. If he pushes his way in, he will probably be more inclined to stay. his main driver to leave is likely to be lack of opportunity.

Would be interesting what we would want for Caldwell if he does leave( I rate him highly so hope he doesnt go).
Bonar was probably further away and was a high risk reward selection when we got him, Caldwell I think was rated far higher both at selection and now. We took not much in trade value for Bonar, but offloaded the entire contract. This time, no salary cap bonus, but also not contracted, so we cant play too hard ball.
A lot will depend on what he shows this year. If he plays a fair bit, he could be worth a first with us giving a sweetener, or as low as a third or swap pick if he gets injured again or doesn't do a whole lot. If he pushes his way in, he will probably be more inclined to stay. his main driver to leave is likely to be lack of opportunity.
Yeah definitely hard to call. If he doesn't get a game this year, or is limited to only a couple, I still think his value will be at minimum a third rounder (making him more valuable than Bonar was). I seriously rate his talent, and see him as a potential replacement for Clay Smith, who we have sorely missed since his forced early retirement. If it cost us our 1st in some capacity (with whatever else balancing out the trade) I wouldn't mind it at all. Kid has a huge ceiling if he can get past the injuries and actually have a consistent run at it

If we were to lose Jye for a third rounder that would be a terrible outcome, and simply improving another club at our expense. It would be somewhat a result of our own riches of talent, but also somewhat a result of the COV-19 environment of 2020 with less & shorter games giving less opportunities. It's certainly one of the reasons that I'd like to see the youngsters getting opportunities throughout the year and if deserving from their performances stay in the first grade team.

Yeah definitely hard to call. If he doesn't get a game this year, or is limited to only a couple, I still think his value will be at minimum a third rounder (making him more valuable than Bonar was). I seriously rate his talent, and see him as a potential replacement for Clay Smith, who we have sorely missed since his forced early retirement. If it cost us our 1st in some capacity (with whatever else balancing out the trade) I wouldn't mind it at all. Kid has a huge ceiling if he can get past the injuries and actually have a consistent run at it
He is now playing this round with us virtually full strength, his trade value just went up :)

Also he desirability to leave has probably fallen a little as well!

He is now playing this round with us virtually full strength, his trade value just went up :)

Also he desirability to leave has probably fallen a little as well!
For sure! Puts him well ahead of Bonar at the very least. Will be good to watch him this week, will be keeping a close eye on our future player ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure! Puts him well ahead of Bonar at the very least. Will be good to watch him this week, will be keeping a close eye on our future player ;)

At a minimum I hope he drives the price up, I really want to keep him.

I think I’m in an obvious minority that would have no problem seeing Finlayson leave.
I'm in the same boat.
I find head droppers annoying and feel they can have a ripple effect on a game.
If he stays great, but he is a long way down my list of preferred keepers in the upcoming trade circus

If we were to lose Jye for a third rounder that would be a terrible outcome, and simply improving another club at our expense. It would be somewhat a result of our own riches of talent, but also somewhat a result of the COV-19 environment of 2020 with less & shorter games giving less opportunities. It's certainly one of the reasons that I'd like to see the youngsters getting opportunities throughout the year and if deserving from their performances stay in the first grade team.

GS ... one only has to look at other clubs websites to see Caldwell is in the minds of a few observers ... R3 pick would seem under... way under imo... perhaps he might have to be bundled but its hard to know till the list size question is put to bed. Id guess every club will have to make some hard choices if they are forced to reduce list sizes. What it means for kids like XOH for example?On our list a kid like Constable or others who have not even played a game yet. I hate to see kids cut before they have a chance, it seems a poor end to their dream... but as you say it's somewhat a problem for clubs with good amount of talent and settled best22.

What would you hope for Caldwell? Is he one you would hope stays, does he get a game in your best22 with all available or is he a player who could allow you to again cleverly regain access to the draft. The willingness of GWS to turn the list has been masterful imo. and id have to say there has not been too many that have gone that you have really missed.

GS ... one only has to look at other clubs websites to see Caldwell is in the minds of a few observers ... R3 pick would seem under... way under imo... perhaps he might have to be bundled but its hard to know till the list size question is put to bed. Id guess every club will have to make some hard choices if they are forced to reduce list sizes. What it means for kids like XOH for example?On our list a kid like Constable or others who have not even played a game yet. I hate to see kids cut before they have a chance, it seems a poor end to their dream... but as you say it's somewhat a problem for clubs with good amount of talent and settled best22.

What would you hope for Caldwell? Is he one you would hope stays, does he get a game in your best22 with all available or is he a player who could allow you to again cleverly regain access to the draft. The willingness of GWS to turn the list has been masterful imo. and id have to say there has not been too many that have gone that you have really missed.
I'd prefer to keep Caldwell. But the truth is we are going to lose someone.
The price for Caldwell will depend on what he does this year.
If we keep Cameron and Williams we will lose at least 1 of Hately, Caldwell or XOH, plus more. Perhaps a Langdon or Finlayson.

Turbocat I'm of a similar view to GWS Goose. I'd like to keep Caldwell - he can provide a burst out of stoppages, and has a pretty good footy IQ. Xavier O'Halloran I would see in a bit of a similar vein with a bit of speed about him - obviously Jye is more highly rated and has overcome his injury issues before XOH has. In other words, I want someone who's tough and can win the ball in stoppages, but can burst away from the pack, play inside/outside - something Hopper & Green probably can't do. But yeah, we're going to lose someone (likely 1 or 2) due to money and possibly list size squeeze. Who will go depends on the extent of the list & TPP reductions, but Cameron & Williams would be prioritised ahead of any of the juniors I'd expect.

Obviously a winning team will be more than just the best 22 - needs to have a solid best 30 to cover injuries, temporary form loss, suspension etc. I'd definitely see Caldwell in that list, and in the best 25-ish as well so if not permanenty in the 22 pretty close to it. I hope that XOH gets there too. Green would be in the 30 and Bobby Hill too (and probably both in the 25). Jackson Hately I have in the 30 but maybe not the 25 - he's more robust that the other two, but not as dynamic. I'm happy to keep them all, but can understand if they go for opportunity.

I'm pretty happy with how GWS has managed its list - they've mostly done well, occasionally screwed it up, sometimes made a poor deal, but overall kept us bubbling along with talent. Hopefully we can continue.

Last edited:
Players off contract this year and what I think will happen
Aiden Corr- Attract some interest but stay
Daniel Llyod- Will stay if list sizes dont shrink to far
Harry Perryman- Interest will come but stay
Heath Shaw - Retire
Isaac Cumming- A chance to go, but think he'll prob stay
Jack Buckly- Think he'll be released
Jackson Hately- Unfortunately he might be the one we lose, hope not
Jake Stein- If list sizes get cut, he probably misses out
Jeremy Cameron- Think he stays
Jeremy Finlayson- A big chance he leaves, my gut says he stays
Jye Caldwell- They'll come for him, if he secures a spot, I think we keep him. but a defnite chance to lose
Kieran Briggs- He'll stay
Matt DeBoer- He'll stay
Sam Reid- He'll retire
Shane Mumford- He'll retire
Tommy Sheriden- He'll b released
Xavier O'Halloran- Another we are a chance to lose, If we keep both Caldwell and Hately, he probably moves on. I have a feeling it will be Hately that goes, and he stays
Zac Langdon- Think there will be interest in him. If he is outside our squad more often than not, he will probably leave for opportunity.
Zac Sproule- Will be released if list sizes reduce
Zac Williams- He is the main piece. If we lose him, we may be able to keep a few more players money wise, but opportunity might see them leave anyway. I think he stays.

*edit- the intent was to spark conversation to see what others will think will happen with our players off contract :)

Last edited:
As much a I would love Zac to stay, his legs are becoming a concern .... might be better to lose him and keep hately, Caldwell and XO for a bit longer .... come at me
I don't disagree.

Zac is a champ, but even before injury, I was thinking, for a lot of reasons, he might almost be a blessing if we lose him. That probably is related to us in return keeping the 3 you mentioned.

That said, more than happy for him to stay.

I don't disagree.

Zac is a champ, but even before injury, I was thinking, for a lot of reasons, he might almost be a blessing if we lose him. That probably is related to us in return keeping the 3 you mentioned.

That said, more than happy for him to stay.

Not only do we keep those 3 but he would put us back in the 1st round at draft time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back