Hopper
Taranto
Himmelberg
Williams
Ash
Haynes
Whitfield
Corr
Too many untouchables imo, Hopper and Williams I'd let go for a decent price, maybe Corr as well (and Cogs but we won't trade our captain)

I'd set untouchables as Greene, Cameron, TT, HH, Ash, Whitfield, Kelly, Green, Haynes, Taylor. Everyone else is fairly easy to replace with personnel thats already at the club

Needs are a young athletic ruck
Small pressure fwds
Outside pace
Flynn is still our future plan for the Ruck AFAIK, I think we're waiting to use him and Briggs until they're truly ready as playing young rucks when under developed has had poor form in the past.
Our Pressure forwards stocks are actually good, just out of form
We literally have Whitfield and Kelly in the midfield, outside pace isn't an issue, especially when our gameplan has no emphasis on outside users

Again, I think we should be looking at this years and next years draft as an opportunity to rejuvenate the squad a bit and look to move on some more replaceable assets we have if the opportunity to do so is there. As it stands we have too many inside mids, imo this opens up the possibility of moving Hopper on for some high picks or a player type we need. I'd also look at letting Dorsal explore what offers he can get from other clubs again, which hurts to say considering what he put out this year. Looks like Zilliams may be on the way out as well, that should net us band 2 (end of first round) compensation or Band 1 if we're lucky (after where our first pick would lay).
As I've said I think we strike while Hately has value, imo he's nothing special and won't end up being the A grader he was originally predicted to, I'd like to keep Caldwell and O'Halloran if possible as well as Hill, as I think they all add some POD to our team and will be good Best 22 players for us in the future

Get 2-3 trades/RFA's moved about and it gives us a decent draft hand to look at bringing in some high end KPP and other needs

How would you have had a say in a trade decision based on you living in Victoria? :think:

If I lived in Victoria its more chance I would work for RFC and be part of the inner sanctum, no?

If I am not in Victoria thats an indirect way I am not near part of the decision making process of the club and further use a separate lens in terms of perspective and influence spheres

Again, I think we should be looking at this years and next years draft as an opportunity to rejuvenate the squad a bit and look to move on some more replaceable assets we have if the opportunity to do so is there. As it stands we have too many inside mids, imo this opens up the possibility of moving Hopper on for some high picks or a player type we need. I'd also look at letting Dorsal explore what offers he can get from other clubs again, which hurts to say considering what he put out this year. Looks like Zilliams may be on the way out as well, that should net us band 2 (end of first round) compensation or Band 1 if we're lucky (after where our first pick would lay).
As I've said I think we strike while Hately has value, imo he's nothing special and won't end up being the A grader he was originally predicted to, I'd like to keep Caldwell and O'Halloran if possible as well as Hill, as I think they all add some POD to our team and will be good Best 22 players for us in the future

Get 2-3 trades/RFA's moved about and it gives us a decent draft hand to look at bringing in some high end KPP and other needs

Although I see your point.
Id be reluctant to trade out too much experience.
We are a pretty young side and have bought in a lot of early draft picks recently.

i think our inconsistency has to do with the fact when we have a few out, we have a very young side, young players are inconsistent.

Even the likes of Perryman & Taranto are still relatively inexperienced.

Next year we will lose at least Mumford and Shaw. Possibly more. If we cant afford the likes of Williams, and they move on, so be it.

Although I see your point.
Id be reluctant to trade out too much experience.
We are a pretty young side and have bought in a lot of early draft picks recently.

i think our inconsistency has to do with the fact when we have a few out, we have a very young side, young players are inconsistent.

Even the likes of Perryman & Taranto are still relatively inexperienced.

Next year we will lose at least Mumford and Shaw. Possibly more. If we cant afford the likes of Williams, and they move on, so be it.
I agree we shouldn't trade out too much experience, but I'd argue out of who I suggested all that would be considered 'experienced' is Zilliams, and his fate relies more on him than us

If there's a persistence with the slow, chip style of play (which I completely disagree with but that's irrelevant), it lends itself to bombing the ball inside 50 and hypothetically, should bring a power forward into play. Issue is, plenty of athletic, good moving key forwards at GWS.

I think Ben Brown shouldn't be completely ignored. The reach makes him a presence for the high ball, and on the lead with extended arms, no one stops him. Suits the slow play. At least keep him on the list.

I don't want Jezza, I reckon his output is down this year, because he's not great overhead and with more teams pushing back he won't be as effective, especially if the giants continue to move the ball slow, you will get cap relief, great compo, 2 first rounders, for a guy who won't finish top 10 in the Coleman, I hope he goes to Collingwood by the way🤷🏻‍♂️

Geelong fan who wants him.

I don't want Jezza, I reckon his output is down this year, because he's not great overhead and with more teams pushing back he won't be as effective, especially if the giants continue to move the ball slow, you will get cap relief, great compo, 2 first rounders, for a guy who won't finish top 10 in the Coleman, I hope he goes to Collingwood by the way

While I think there is no asterisk for this years competition.
I’m not judging players solely on it either.
He won the Coleman last season let’s remember.

If I lived in Victoria its more chance I would work for RFC and be part of the inner sanctum, no?

If I am not in Victoria thats an indirect way I am not near part of the decision making process of the club and further use a separate lens in terms of perspective and influence spheres

Do you currently work in list management for an AFL team?

Do you currently work in list management for an AFL team?

nope, not connected to any clubs, just a fan although I have casual arms length contacts unrelated to AFL on the periphery of the AFL community.

I am a frequent user of bigfooty but everyone can take some of the BF posts of posters with a grain of salt at times obviously

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you ask them what's going wrong with the GIANTS? Cheers

Ha ha, I asked someone linked to GWS what happened in the GF and the person replied the person was not sure RFC is a good team and obviously played well on the day.

I have no inside info on anything, I am just a distant observer. I prefer to be independent partly to keep my judgements as unbiased as possible so I have disincentive to be a spy let alone a rat.

If I had inside info it would be harder for me to talk freely and I would also have to check myself which would be very tedious for me

Last edited:
nope, not connected to any clubs, just a fan although I have casual arms length contacts unrelated to AFL on the periphery of the AFL community.

Right.

I just can't help but take my mind back to the first comment of yours that I quoted, about how you didn't have a say in the decision citing that you don't live in Victoria as the reason. So the real reason you didn't have a say is because you don't work in football at all, let alone at RFC.

I don't see what your angle was in presenting yourself as someone who could have influenced the decision if not for the pesky triviality of living interstate.

But as you said, grain of salt and all. Carry on.

Right.

I just can't help but take my mind back to the first comment of yours that I quoted, about how you didn't have a say in the decision citing that you don't live in Victoria as the reason. So the real reason you didn't have a say is because you don't work in football at all, let alone at RFC.

I don't see what your angle was in presenting yourself as someone who could have influenced the decision if not for the pesky triviality of living interstate.

But as you said, grain of salt and all. Carry on.

wow, when did I present myself as someone who could have influenced a decision??

I did not say not living in Victoria was the reason for anything.

If I said I was a plumber in Richmond or Melbourne or Victoria would you believe me that I was not connected to the club and its decisions?? I could no people who know people even if I was not a upper end member.

I don't even know if any in the AFL community post on this website? I suppose most would not but it would not surprise me that those in the media at least would have a look for a story.

If I do not live in Victoria there is a good chance there is no connection is there not assuming I am telling the truth which I might not but why bother drifting on a tangent otherwise? Thats how the world works in terms of likelihoods

Many regard others as trolls by default, why should I bother to spend too much time to prove otherwise when people and posters are treated with a grain of salt anyway?

You could be connected in some way but if I know nothing whatever I post makes no difference anyway does it?

Last edited:
wow, when did I present myself as someone who could have influenced a decision??

I did not say not living in Victoria was the reason for anything.

If I said I was a plumber in Richmond or Melbourne or Victoria would you believe me that I was not connected to the club and its decisions??

I don't even know if any in the AFL community post on this website? I suppose most would not but it would not surprise me that those in the media at least would have a look for a story.

If I do not live in Victoria there is a good chance there is no connection is there not assuming I am telling the truth which I might not but why bother drifting on a tangent otherwise?

Many regard others as trolls by default, why should I bother to spend too much time to prove otherwise when people and posters are treated with a grain of salt anyway?

Your exact words: 'I had no say in RFC's decision as I don't live in Victoria' implies that you could have had a say if you did live in Victoria.

But anyway, I'm not here to derail the thread. I'm a visiting Mutt, I'm appreciative of my presence being tolerated so far 😄

Your exact words: 'I had no say in RFC's decision as I don't live in Victoria' implies that you could have had a say if you did live in Victoria.

But anyway, I'm not here to derail the thread. I'm a visiting Mutt, I'm appreciative of my presence being tolerated so far 😄
If I did live in Victoria there is a greater chance I may have a connection to a decision like I said if I was up in the ranks of the member class, if I was employd by a club or even if I was a friend of a friend and knew people like I said. If I do not live in Victoria its harder for me to do that, thats just geographic reality and how organisations work even under virus scenario.

Its highly unlikely I am in the upper echelon of Richmond and I am clued in via zoom interstate on relevant decisions versus other possibilities if I was in Victoria would you not agree?

If I did live in Victoria there is a greater chance I may have a connection to a decision like I said if I was up in the ranks of the member class, if I was employd by a club or even if I was a friend of a friend and knew people like I said. If I do not live in Victoria its harder for me to do that, thats just geographic reality and how organisations work even under virus scenario
No. Just no. Member class, no, employee of the club, also no. Friend of anybody, no no no. Member of the football department directly responsible for list management decisions, then yes. That's how professional organisations work.

Living in Victoria, friend connections, had a coffee with someone once upon a time who kicked a ball in the general direction of Punt Road, probability of a comet sticking the earth where you stand at exactly the correct angle to propel you through the air and land at RFC selection table and be asked your opinion. None of it relevent. You're just a fan with an opinion, let that be enough and engage in the conversation without elaboration.

Anyways, how about those GIANTS? Good points made above, I agree that you could benefit from a refresh of your fringe players. Don't see a huge need to go chopping into your core unless there's cap issues.

No. Just no. Member class, no, employee of the club, also no. Friend of anybody, no no no. Member of the football department directly responsible for list management decisions, then yes. That's how professional organisations work.

Living in Victoria, friend connections, had a coffee with someone once upon a time who kicked a ball in the general direction of Punt Road, probability of a comet sticking the earth where you stand at exactly the correct angle to propel you through the air and land at RFC selection table and be asked your opinion. None of it relevent. You're just a fan with an opinion, let that be enough and engage in the conversation without elaboration.

Anyways, how about those GIANTS? Good points made above, I agree that you could benefit from a refresh of your fringe players. Don't see a huge need to go chopping into your core unless there's cap issues.

you know thinking about AFL and doing all of these cuts all over the industry if they wanted to be smart and be more effective with less cost using technology and reducing bricks and mortar costs would be a smart way to go as a tangent.

A lot of property costs and other expenses could be reduced by embracing different technological and communication methods to achieve similar goals

Doubt pies can afford jez

I know the De Goey preference is to stay and with Cox on 500k, if Jezza said he had a preference in a club out of the 4 clubs i don't think it would be hard for any of them to make it work

Think there will be a lot of chatter but until we know list sizes hard for most clubs to make final moves and cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back