List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Briggs and Flynn are our future rucks, zero point in trading in another Jacobs.
Just play them, as the Dogs have done with English.

I think we keep one of Caldwell and Hately, though no clue on which, and also keep Corr.

Finlayson and Cumming get what we can for them.

I think we have missed Taylor a lot more than he has been credited for, if Davis was still playing we may not have felt it as much, but losing both was a huge hit

Last edited:
Caruso and the recruiting team have done a fantastic job. From Sam Taylor to Brent Daniels and Bobby Hill. Trading up to get Taranto. Everything they have done in the draft has been A grade.
Their only blunder has been in the mature ruck department. Why we didn’t go for someone like Preuss baffles me.

I feel strongly that Hately and Corr are gone. That should get us two second rounders. If Williams goes that should end up being a first rounder. We don’t have a strong need for young players. We are well stocked for depth in every area, except rucks in their prime. It’d be good to use that to trade in a mature ruck - with Mummy gone. Maybe even pay out sauce with most of his money. He won’t be of any use.
I’d love to see Briggs or Flynn get a crack this week against the Saints.
I reckon since Caruso has been in charge, recruitment and drafting has been terrific.
Jacobs seemed like a good choice at the time. Cheap, proven and experienced. Fill the gap until Flynn and/or Briggs was ready.
After rnd 1, everyone was calling him the final piece.
Hasn't worked out.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Finlayson and Cumming get what we can for them.
IMO that would be a very bad move. Many years development gone into him and he fills a clear (gaping hole) need - ie Shaw's replacement.

And he can take the kick ins which means Whitfield doesn't need to.

Could not believe he got dropped after a couple of clangers in one game. Cogniglio was allowed to do that for 14 weeks straight before meeting the same fate!

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Caruso and the recruiting team have done a fantastic job. From Sam Taylor to Brent Daniels and Bobby Hill. Trading up to get Taranto. Everything they have done in the draft has been A grade.
Their only blunder has been in the mature ruck department. Why we didn’t go for someone like Preuss baffles me.
Agree with all that.

To be fair re Preuss no other club wanted him either and North were very keen to move him on. He'll be lucky to get another contract at Melbourne.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder if we look to convert Jack Buckley to a tall defender? About the same height as Corr, and I thought he stood up pretty well in his debut - and a lot of his work ended up being in the D50. He's certainly more mobile than Keeffe, taller than Idun (who wasn't able to really impact down back against the Dees), and I really don't know where Jake Stein is in terms of readiness to impact.

We definitely need to draft a quality defender this year to replace Corr (and yes, hopefully Norths are paying big $ to lure him home, for maximum FA comp for us).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we look to convert Jack Buckley to a tall defender? About the same height as Corr, and I thought he stood up pretty well in his debut - and a lot of his work ended up being in the D50. He's certainly more mobile than Keeffe, taller than Idun (who wasn't able to really impact down back against the Dees), and I really don't know where Jake Stein is in terms of readiness to impact.

We definitely need to draft a quality defender this year to replace Corr (and yes, hopefully Norths are paying big $ to lure him home, for maximum FA comp for us).
Taylor and Davis come in.
Finlayson or Himmelberg could also switch ends

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmmm - The backline is going to have a new look next year.

How did Himm

I was going to say Himmelberg looked handy in defence at times.

I reckon Davis could pinch it CHF to at times. Not enough trying players in different positions for mine to get the best result and team cohesion. I assume Coniglio will come back this week but will he be an inside mid soley?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We haven't switched either of those since losing Davis & Taylor, nor when we also lost Corr for the Dees game. And I don't see them as great alternatives to Davis/Taylor/Corr (look at how we've criticised them for pulling out of contests and not competing as forwards recently). Of course Davis & Taylor are the first line KPDs, but we do need backup for times such as now when they are injured. Keeffe has been preferred as the No 1 backup, but I still think he is a bit lumbering and requires a specific matchup to be best used. Even if we draft one or two young KPDs, it will take some time before they are ready - in which case we have Keeffe, Stein, Idun and Buntine. Buckley just impressed me with a couple of conteseted marks down back, and pretty good disposal under the circumstances.

Just idle wondering.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
We haven't switched either of those since losing Davis & Taylor, nor when we also lost Corr for the Dees game. And I don't see them as great alternatives to Davis/Taylor/Corr (look at how we've criticised them for pulling out of contests and not competing as forwards recently). Of course Davis & Taylor are the first line KPDs, but we do need backup for times such as now when they are injured. Keeffe has been preferred as the No 1 backup, but I still think he is a bit lumbering and requires a specific matchup to be best used. Even if we draft one or two young KPDs, it will take some time before they are ready - in which case we have Keeffe, Stein, Idun and Buntine. Buckley just impressed me with a couple of conteseted marks down back, and pretty good disposal under the circumstances.

Just idle wondering.

What stuns me at times is the bigger/taller Keefe seems not to be on the bigger forward at times like the matchup seems wrong on a smaller opponent. Whether thats by design or just break ups in the play I thought its caused a few problems at times.

At seasons end be opportunity to do a stocktake and see what options many of the players offer. For example where is Taranto best suited when not inside, same with Kelly, and so forth. What positions can Coniglio be effective when not in the middle and so forth. I assume one or two will retire and move on freeing up opportunities

Just idle wondering.
Buckley looked good at the back.

The Himmelberg.and Finlayson will only be necessary if we don't we have the troops.. They'll have a whole offseason to prepare if they go that route.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Keeffe is a very average player and is depth at best. If we’re relying on blokes like him and Reid long term as best 22 then God help us.

He is not that bad, not elite but can be useful I think. He could be a lower rung player in a premiership team with the right role and support around him.

You cannot afford superstars in every position, no club can!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Keeffe is a very average player and is depth at best. If we’re relying on blokes like him and Reid long term as best 22 then God help us.
Well, Keeffe is clearly not best 22 - well, at least I don't believe so - the best KPDs are Davis, Taylor & Haynes providing we don't decide to play 4 including Keeffe!

But he is the first KPD off the bench when anyone's injured, until we can develop a better backup. I'm on record as not being keen on him, but I will admit he's been solid enough this year when used. You can't have a star player sitting on the bench, apart from a young developing KPD, and he's been fine in that role in my view. Buntine is too small, old and limited now to be first or second KPD IMHO. Maybe Stein IMHO, although I'm not convinced. Not Idun IMHO, too small for the No 1 or 2 KPD jobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back