List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I'm exceptionally happy with that trade, and thrilled with Bruhn

Angwin and Stone are real typical development types, Angwin needing to add weight and Stone probably just needing to refine his game sense, I hope we get the best out of both but not expecting anything early on in their careers.

The trade though, I'm thinking 10-15 is the range of that pick, and most of those in the 10-20 next year seem like they'd be 5-12 picks this draft, so big get imo

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm exceptionally happy with that trade, and thrilled with Bruhn

Angwin and Stone are real typical development types, Angwin needing to add weight and Stone probably just needing to refine his game sense, I hope we get the best out of both but not expecting anything early on in their careers.

The trade though, I'm thinking 10-15 is the range of that pick, and most of those in the 10-20 next year seem like they'd be 5-12 picks this draft, so big get imo
And best of all, we get to hate on & death ride Eddie next year!

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
And best of all, we get to hate on & death ride Eddie next year!

That was happening regardless.

I like Bruhn, he is very well regarded but to not get a key defender with Davis on one leg and Corr gone is really disappointing. The fact Chapman was there makes it worse. I think these guys have a very inflated opinion on Idun, didn’t see anything from him that has excited me. Pinning hopes on him and Keeffe...as I said kill me.

That was happening regardless.

I like Bruhn, he is very well regarded but to not get a key defender with Davis on one leg and Corr gone is really disappointing. The fact Chapman was there makes it worse. I think these guys have a very inflated opinion on Idun, didn’t see anything from him that has excited me. Pinning hopes on him and Keeffe...as I said kill me.
Harry to head back I reckon

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I have a feeling this draft just confirmed our status as Sydney Swans little brother. They have killed it and I think we’ve played Russian Roulette and lost. Time will tell but on face value this is a poor outcome with the chips we had.

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Harrison Macreadie for the Rookie Draft and a back-up punt

Tanner looked like he will count down the days until he can leave .... what a disaster
Everyone said that about Rankine and Lukocious, both re-signed sharply. Some people are just more reserved by nature.

I have a feeling this draft just confirmed our status as Sydney Swans little brother. They have killed it and I think we’ve played Russian Roulette and lost. Time will tell but on face value this is a poor outcome with the chips we had.
They had pick 3 (which became 4) and 2 academy players.
Free hit really.
We did the same last year.
We haven't even seen them play, let's not get too carried away.
I have faith.in Carruso.

Honestly, the go-home factor is such a hard thing to tell for anyone. Let alone an 18 year old kid who has probably spent next to no time away from home, ever before in his life. It's natural to have reservations to be drafted from an out of state club and leave home and family behind.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I just think we could have taken Chapman and if Bruhn had been taken then gone with Powell, to me that would have been a more sensible approach to cover a very important need. If Bruhn becomes a champion (he was a star 16yo) it may not be as significant but if he is average or bombs it will be an unmitigated disaster.

GIANTS NAB AFL Draft Wrap

The GIANTS have secured three of the draft’s top talents in the first round of the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, as well as landing a future first-round pick.

At pick 12 the GIANTS secured Tanner Bruhn, a midfielder who starred for Victoria Country in the 2018 Under-16 National Championships averaging 17.3 disposals and winning both its MVP award and All-Australian honours.

He reads the game exceptionally well and has very good fundamentals with his clean hands, strength overhead along with his ball use by hand and foot.

GIANTS National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso said:

“Tanner is a top-end talent who was too good to pass up,” he said.

“While predominantly a midfielder, Tanner has shown before he can play down back or in attack and that versatility will help him as he looks for senior opportunities.

“He is driven and a super competitor – attributes we place a very high importance on.”

With the club’s second pick at 15, the GIANTS picked the versatile Conor Stone.

Stone is a medium forward/defender who showed distinct promise in the back half of last year. He kicked 11 goals for the Oakleigh Chargers in the NAB League in 2019.

He is also capable of playing in defence and using his decision making, composure and good ball use to set up the play, which was on display in just one trial game this year having 23 disposals against the Knights before the shutdown.

Caruso said: “When going back through the 2019 vision, Conor was one who stood out for his performances as a bottom ager both at St Kevin’s in the APS and in the Oakleigh Chargers’ premiership team.

“A powerful and versatile player, we love his competitiveness and running ability and think he will develop into a player who can fill a few different roles.”

With the club’s third first-round pick, the GIANTS secured a left-footed medium forward/defender with silky skills and a high footy IQ in Ryan Angwin.

Angwin knows how to find space and is a composed decision maker who is creative with the ball in hand.

He’s a good athlete with his agility (8.42 seconds - AFL Agility run) and endurance (6 minutes 12 seconds for 2km) both very good in pre-season testing.

Caruso said: “Ryan is a baby who only turns 18 later this week.

“We were looking to add a player who can fill some outside roles with elite running ability, and he was the standout in that area of the draft. While he has a slight frame, we believe his footy fundamentals are strong.”

With three top talents secured, the GIANTS bid on Collingwood NGA prospect Reef McInnes and then sent picks 24 and 30 to the ‘Pies in exchange for a first-round draft pick next year.

Caruso welcomed the opportunity to add a top draft pick to our future hand.

“We are always looking to make the best of our situation and when our desired players weren’t available with our picks, we opted to maximise the value of them to add another first-round draft pick,” he said.

“We’re delighted with our first-round picks this year and already have a strong hand heading into next.”

With the club’s fourth pick - pick 58 - the GIANTS added defender Cameron Fleeton.

A medium/tall who reads the play exceptionally well, Fleeton uses his intercept marking and precise left foot kicking to set up play from the back half.

“Cameron had some really encouraging bottom-age games as a medium defender with an ability to limit some of the better forwards in the NAB League,” Caruso said.

“He defends with desperation, able to get a fist in when out of position. He cuts angles really well and is a real competitor.”

The GIANTS then swooped on mature-age South Australian Jacob Wehr with the club’s final pick of the night.

Wehr, 22 – who labours for a painter as his full-time job – is a humble and mature young defender with a raking left-foot kick who played this season for Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL.

“Jacob had a strong year in the SANFL across half-back and was part of the premiership-winning Eagles team,” Caruso said.

“He is a strong runner and nice left-foot kick and gives some flexibility to push up onto the wing.”

Caruso was thrilled with the club’s work at this year’s national draft.

"This has been one of the toughest years for recruiters with our ability to watch live football limited and our usual ability to meet and get to know potential draftees severely impacted,” he said.

“But our team put in the work to put us in a really strong position to bolster our list with some of the best young talent available and we also had the flexibility to turn our fourth and fifth picks into a future first-round pick.

“We’re really excited to welcome Tanner, Conor, Ryan, Cameron and Jacob to the club.”

The NAB AFL Rookie Draft will be held on Thursday.

GWS GIANTS

Picks (at the start of draft):
10, 13, 15, 20, 26, 88

Selections: Tanner Bruhn (12), Conor Stone (15), Ryan Angwin (18), Cameron Fleeton (58), Jacob Wehr (59)

The Giants snared midfielder Tanner Bruhn with their first pick of the night after he somewhat surprisingly got through Essendon’s three selections. He might not have played a huge amount of football in recent years due to injury, but there’s no doubting he is a classy player. His glimpses have been very good. Stone is a fine addition to the list with the utility having a huge scope for developing at AFL level. He slotted five goals on NAB League debut, but clubs think there is a big chance he gets midfield time in the future. The Giants surprised by grabbing wingman Ryan Angwin, with the dasher likely to take some time before getting senior football action. He is still very raw but has a strong endurance base. After trading back to the end of the draft, the Giants grabbed general defender Cameron Fleeton. He is a strong intercept marker and is composed with ball in hand. They finished with Jacob Wehr who came of age this year in South Australia. He can play off half-back and further on the wing.

Grade: B+

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Understand the concept but I don't think it's realistic, lots of players(even early picks) struggle to get to afl level after being drafted and clubs need to be able to cut losses relatively early because of list size restrictions.
Tanner looked like he will count down the days until he can leave .... what a disaster

Agree. No one in their household looked happy. Especially Mum. Geelong can be hard to let go of. I hope I am wrong, but gee it looked like GWS had killed a family member.

Perhaps they are a very serious family and perhaps Tanner is a very serious young man. He might just love leaving home as well. Fingers crossed.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Tanners social media and general demeanour suggests he's just not on to jump up and down with a smile on his face, don't reckoned should be reading too much into it

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

GIANTS National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso said:

“Tanner is a top-end talent who was too good to pass up,” he said.

Says it all. They are hoping we can win him over and if not we possibly get a 1st rounder back.

Ffs how many times are we going to try the same route with nil gain.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What a crazy crazy draft period

I hope one of you tags me in 2 years time to rub my face in this pessimism after these kids take us to the big dance again...

BUT...

Back