List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

I know I've said this ad nauseam but I think with Dixon officially delisted, it could use repeating. We currently have zero KPF depth. Literally none. If we lose one of the three in our best 22, we can not replace them with another tall (unless you want to play Meek up front which would crazy). We have 3 KPDs currently injured and we still had arguably the best defense in the league.

We need a top end KPF on the list to develop. For mine, the needs in other areas of the ground are so great, we would have to rank Chapman or DGB as top 3 prospects in the draft (and significantly better than anything remaining in the pool) to justify taking them at our first pick.

Chapman looks terrific though, Jordan Ridley mk2
What if Brennan Cox is awesome at both ends?

What if Brennan Cox is awesome at both ends?
I cant think of too many kids that can have been awesome at both ends. Pinched hit later in their careers (Hunter/Hooker) but I dont think it would be good for his development to have to keep switching roles

I know I've said this ad nauseam but I think with Dixon officially delisted, it could use repeating. We currently have zero KPF depth. Literally none. If we lose one of the three in our best 22, we can not replace them with another tall (unless you want to play Meek up front which would crazy). We have 3 KPDs currently injured and we still had arguably the best defense in the league.

We need a top end KPF on the list to develop. For mine, the needs in other areas of the ground are so great, we would have to rank Chapman or DGB as top 3 prospects in the draft (and significantly better than anything remaining in the pool) to justify taking them at our first pick.

Chapman looks terrific though, Jordan Ridley mk2
I Agree. If one of our academy players has the outside speed we also need then I'd be lookin to trade next years 1st and this one to move high (very high) up the draft order so we can get a KPP of quality. As I've also said many times, last thing we want is to trade out Dixon for another project KPP who is ready in 4 years. A club leader may have to be traded out? We all know our luck will be that 2 of Tabs/Lobb/Hogan will be injured at the same time. I have hope but no faith the both Hamling and Pearce will be playing together next year, as at least one will be injured. I don't know how we get a top 5 pick but that's where we need to be. Or trade in someone ready to go that's 195cm+ and big bodied.

If we can trade in a mid-late pick, Max Heath could be an option???

Seems to be more a ruck than a forward though from the very little going around on him.

I'm not saying they would be that great as forwards, but we could swing Logue, Hamling, Cox forward if we needed to. There is also the option of playing Fyfe as a permanent target (though not ideal).

Not against bringing in a KPF or DGB (if available), but I would not be reaching for one nor doing any crazy trading of draft picks to move up the order.

I think we should always seek to trade to get ahead of academy picks and if that means we have to wear a deficit next season off our 2nd or 3rd round picks, so be it.

We might have a bounty of picks next season anyway, Tabs is a free agent, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young are all out of contract.

I think we should always seek to trade to get ahead of academy picks and if that means we have to wear a deficit next season off our 2nd or 3rd round picks, so be it.

We might have a bounty of picks next season anyway, Tabs is a free agent, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young are all out of contract.

Put yourself on the naughty step immediately.

I'm not saying they would be that great as forwards, but we could swing Logue, Hamling, Cox forward if we needed to. There is also the option of playing Fyfe as a permanent target (though not ideal).

Not against bringing in a KPF or DGB (if available), but I would not be reaching for one nor doing any crazy trading of draft picks to move up the order.
This one is the one for me. With all our tall backs in the team I think Cox is great depth but for mine he's not better than either Pearce or Hamling - and I think Griffin would be in that conversation too. Of those four, only Cox has actually shown anything as a forward. He has done a fantastic job holding up that tall defender spot, but I think we sometimes forget just how promising he was as a forward too. This from AFL.com after his breakout 4 goal effort against Adelaide. I think in a functioning forward line (as opposed to what he was thrown into) he could easily hold down the second / third tall spot, with the added bonus that he can play back if required.

1601368916276.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon North could bid on Western @ #25 - they have shown a lot of interest in him.

Depends a bit on how he goes in the Colts GF, the u18 games and the combine. His stocks could rise a lot and quickly as he's capable of standing out in all those things (ironic given his height :)).
he is also the kind of player their slowish midfield needs.
somehow getting a swap with their second would be advantageous IMO

This one is the one for me. With all our tall backs in the team I think Cox is great depth but for mine he's not better than either Pearce or Hamling - and I think Griffin would be in that conversation too. Of those four, only Cox has actually shown anything as a forward. He has done a fantastic job holding up that tall defender spot, but I think we sometimes forget just how promising he was as a forward too. This from AFL.com after his breakout 4 goal effort against Adelaide. I think in a functioning forward line (as opposed to what he was thrown into) he could easily hold down the second / third tall spot, with the added bonus that he can play back if required.

View attachment 973396
Problem for me is hamling and Pearce are both lock down type defenders. Cox is a lot better with the ball than hammer. You need defenders who have multiple strings to their bows, which cox and logue have.

Im pretty sure he copped an injury in the 45% game and in the 50% game he got destroyed by the GWS mids. Either way its not a great vote of confidence from the coaching staff in his ability to spend extended periods on the ground. I'll be happy with Gold Coasts pick 35 if that was the trade. I cant see much more being offered.

Im pretty sure he copped an injury in the 45% game and in the 50% game he got destroyed by the GWS mids. Either way its not a great vote of confidence from the coaching staff in his ability to spend extended periods on the ground. I'll be happy with Gold Coasts pick 35 if that was the trade. I cant see much more being offered.
He did hurt his shoulder in that game, but he played through it after they strapped him up during the third quarter break

He did hurt his shoulder in that game, but he played through it after they strapped him up during the third quarter break
Either way I still see his lack of ground time as a sign that the coaches did not have a lot of belief in him. Id be happy with pick 35 ish.

Problem for me is hamling and Pearce are both lock down type defenders. Cox is a lot better with the ball than hammer. You need defenders who have multiple strings to their bows, which cox and logue have.
Agree with you regarding ball use, but with Young, Ryan, Wilson, Logue, and possibly Hill we have a lot of really good ball users. Our short chipping game in the backline will allow guys like Hamling and Pearce to get the ball into the hands of the good kickers - I think this is a cornerstone of Longmuir's defensive transition style.

We can't fit all of them in the backline, so I think the guys with the ability to play multiple positions (which is Cox for sure) will be well placed.

why would you back end a deal when, in six years time, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong will all be 24-26 and demanding 700k a year each.
Because it secures the talent now. Just as signing them to a long deal at the time also secures them.

Not to mention that before this season the salary cap was increasing each year, 5% of the cap now isn't as much then.

And, because most clubs only have a handful of players contracted beyond the next two seasons. Most of the cap is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back