List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

I still lose sleep over us giving up the chance in the trade/draft period of 2018 to have anyone of these options, in what has turned out to be a generational draft....

Pick 6 (Ben King/Bailey Smith) & Lachie Neale (for another year and a subsequent trade in 2019)
Pick 5 (Connor Rozee) Pick 6 (Ben King/Bailey Smith) & loose change

But we went with the obviously very talented Sam Sturt (who can't get on the field) and a broken down (known) Jesse Hogan on a million a year, for 13 goals in 15 games and continued bad publicity (his off-field behaviour known) .

I feel the club has escaped the scrutiny of this, which was obvious, to a good majority of us at the time, as a bad decision. I was stoked to have Hogan and I still wish like hell that he plays a meaningful role for the club... but my god, what a disaster.

I keep saying 'we' and the 'club' but it's apparent now that this was mostly Steve Rosich, in what was a desperate attempt to bring immediate success to the club in his final days.

How could someone that works in the interest of tens of thousands of people, make such an irrational and impatient decision?

I'm obviously really angry about this,

Not sure where to start putting holes through this. But am tired.

I’ll just agree 2018 is a great draft.

He’s a great kick too. Just expects every other player to have an elite kick like his. Spends too much effort complaining about efforts of others.
This is actually a stat for elite key forwards. Lance Franklin used to light up his midfield in U18s for not kicking to him, even when he was triple teamed.

Hugh Dixon has a lot of work to do on his sprays.

Reckon Dixon coming back from the COVID home break overweight again was the final straw.

Kid is a natural footballer and will probably go back to a state league, tear it apart, get re-drafted and when interviewed after he kicks 50 goals for Hawthorn in a season say "Getting delisted was the best thing to happen to me" =(

He signed with Gold Coast. We historically have better retention than them and outperformed them up to the point he re-signed.

It is speculation with evidence as opposed to just speculation.

If you actually provided numbers showing a large proportion of Vic Metro kids do in fact request trades or that twins are so many times more likely to end up at he same club, the claims would be on similar footing.

Let me add though, that what you just tried to do is shift the burden of proof. You claimed he would leave, I am not required to prove he wouldn't.
GC also allegedly paid him a tonne of cash which I doubt we would have been able to do for a rookie.

King vs Hogan is semantics. King was coming off a knee reco so I’m sceptical if we even select him with pick 6 and if we did, with the history of Weber, he doesn’t become the player he is at the moment due to rehab setbacks.

In relation to what we do with Hogan’s contract expiring 2021, we have to extend otherwise watch him run around for the mob up the road and kick bags against us. No interstate team would touch him and we’d lose him for nothing. He’s still young and has another 5-7 years of good footy in him. I’d offer him a three year extension.

King vs Hogan is semantics. King was coming off a knee reco so I’m sceptical if we even select him with pick 6 and if we did, with the history of Weber, he doesn’t become the player he is at the moment due to rehab setbacks.

In relation to what we do with Hogan’s contract expiring 2021, we have to extend otherwise watch him run around for the mob up the road and kick bags against us. No interstate team would touch him and we’d lose him for nothing. He’s still young and has another 5-7 years of good footy in him. I’d offer him a three year extension.
That was Max King, not Ben. Ben has no injuries pre draft. Max went to the saints at pick 4 - we were never in the running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Dixon coming back from the COVID home break overweight again was the final straw.

Kid is a natural footballer and will probably go back to a state league, tear it apart, get re-drafted and when interviewed after he kicks 50 goals for Hawthorn in a season say "Getting delisted was the best thing to happen to me" =(
Maybe but discipline has been his issue back to his draft year. I Remember reading an article just before his drafting and he was one of the only likely Tassie kids to be drafted and minimal if any the years previous. Anyway coaches at his school and the U18’s read him the riot act to really get himself fit as he was known for his liking of donuts. Gave that up and trained hard and finished the season off well and ended up being drafted by Freo.

Seems when pushed hard he shows discipline and commitment for a period before dropping off getting himself behind the eightball.

If being delisted and added to the rookie list isn’t enough motivation then Freo prob isn’t the club for him.

Look it’s up to Dixon - there will be opportunities for him if he gets fit and in some form. He has shown some positive signs in patches but remains inconsistent. Out of contract and fast running out of chances.

Maybe but discipline has been his issue back to his draft year. I Remember reading an article just before his drafting and he was one of the only likely Tassie kids to be drafted and minimal if any the years previous. Anyway coaches at his school and the U18’s read him the riot act to really get himself fit as he was known for his liking of donuts. Gave that up and trained hard and finished the season off well and ended up being drafted by Freo.

Seems when pushed hard he shows discipline and commitment for a period before dropping off getting himself behind the eightball.

If being delisted and added to the rookie list isn’t enough motivation then Freo prob isn’t the club for him.

Look it’s up to Dixon - there will be opportunities for him if he gets fit and in some form. He has shown some positive signs in patches but remains inconsistent. Out of contract and fast running out of chances.
Oh yeah, i have no problem delisting him, he's had chances.

Can just see how getting delisted and working in the real world might make the penny drop permanently to someone else's betterment

list management

Me and my good mate WC fan and ex employee went through Freo's list tonight over a smoke and he has convinced me that Freo have a very good list.

If fully fit which is the issue could have won every game so far unlike WC who have been lucky with injuries.

Our best 22 and don't shoot me

Wilson Hamling Logue
Ryan Pearce Hill
Aish Brayshaw Acres
Walters Tabs Sturt
Henry Hogan Lobb

Rucks Darcy Fyfe Tucker
Int Young Cerra Serong Mundy

Emg Shultz Cox Hughes Duman

Others Conca Valente Colyer Bewley Fredricks Matera Banfield and so on

You can reposition some of those players and sub out a few for the emergencies etc but Freo at full strength would have won most of their games up to round 6 and with potentially not having to leave Optus woukd have been very competitive against most sides plus finals.

Injuries are crippling Freo but the game plan and players are more than capable of delivering.

Last edited:
list management

Me and my good mate WC fan and ex employee went through Freo's list tonight over a smoke and he has convinced me that Freo have a very good list.

If fully fit which is the issue could have won every game so far unlike WC who have been lucky with injuries.

Our best 22 and don't shoot me

Wilson Hamling Logue
Ryan Pearce Hill
Aish Brayshaw Acres
Walters Tabs Sturt
Henry Hogan Lobb

Rucks Darcy Fyfe Tucker
Int Young Cerra Serong Mundy

Emg Shultz Cox Hughes Duman

Others Conca Valente Colyer Bewley Fredricks Matera Banfield and so on

You can reposition some of those players and sub out a few for the emergencies etc but Freo at full strength would have won most of their games up to round 6 and with potentially not having to leave Optus woukd have been very competitive against most sides plus finals.

Injuries are crippling Freo but the game plan and players are more than capable of delivering.
With that 22 we would have been 5-1.

Our issue for the last 5 years has been getting players on the park.

I wish we stop giving more chances to players who has shown they are not up to AFL standard.

Dixon spend 3 years on the main list and 1 on the rookie.

We keep players 1 or 2 years longer than they should.

Fremantle needs to be more ruthless.

I wish we stop giving more chances to players who has shown they are not up to AFL standard.

Dixon spend 3 years on the main list and 1 on the rookie.

We keep players 1 or 2 years longer than they should.

Fremantle needs to be more ruthless.

Dixon was only 2 years on the main list.

He is still on a list because he has enough talent to play AFL, but only the rookie list and really one foot out the door because in his second year he couldn't get himself up fitness-wise to scratch.

The other option was to cut him end of last year; the question is could they have brought someone onto the rookie list who was AFL level talent with a greater chance of making it?

Dixon was only 2 years on the main list.

He is still on a list because he has enough talent to play AFL, but only the rookie list and really one foot out the door because in his second year he couldn't get himself up fitness-wise to scratch.

The other option was to cut him end of last year; the question is could they have brought someone onto the rookie list who was AFL level talent with a greater chance of making it?
Dixon had 3 years to get his act together.

He can’t get a game when we have 5 talls missing last week.

Talent isn’t everything.

I rather rookie a mature age player and give him 1 more year. Then be ruthless again.

The more you fish the more likely to get a player.

We just hang up to players way to much.

Dixon is apparently the fittest he’s ever been and is now at the required level to play. If he can keep that going and add match fitness via the scratchies he’ll stay on the list imo and may even get a game or two at the top level if the opportunity arises.

Semantics is when you pick apart the meaning of words to draw a different conclusion.
This is more a discussion on 2 different strategies at the draft.

I suspect Dixon might get a look if Tabs goes down. I would really like to see him play at the top level.
Yea, my English and grasp of that word isn't the greatest but I felt smart typing it LEL.

My point stands though, that if we took pick 6 to the draft, I don't think we're selecting King and if we do, he's in rehab for four years and doesn't become the player he is becoming now. By pick 6, Ben King was the best KPP available as Max was already taken at 4. Without Hogan, we only have an underwhelming Tabs and Lobb as players who could play KPF and McCarthy as a third tall. We were all screaming out for a KPF at the time and Hogan was best available at the time. Could King develop into a better player than Hogan? Yes. But to that point, given the choice at the time, 99.9% of supporters would've chosen Hogan over King for pick 6. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back