Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

I come from the same people mate.

Simple battlers who were devoted to the local tribe.

The pure ones. The North "ultras".
I always knew if dad had worked some overtime as we had chips bought from behind the grandstand to go with our sandwiches mum would make in the morning - always fresh bread that day and always Don leg ham. Very rarely, we actually got to have a burger at the trainers stand until it caught fire and almost burnt the grandstand down.

I always knew if dad had worked some overtime as we had chips bought from behind the grandstand to go with our sandwiches mum would make in the morning - always fresh bread that day and always Don leg ham. Very rarely, we actually got to have a burger at the trainers stand until it caught fire and almost burnt the grandstand down.

God bless you & your people mate.

We were right, as my old man was a slaughterman in the Newmarket sale yards and always came home with his Gladstone bag full of meat, and Pop ran sly grog in his old Chev after hours. The first place I lived in when my parents bought me home from hospital, was a flat above the Dim Sim shop that belonged to Normie Lee's (of Great Bookie Robbery fame) parents in Racecourse Road. There were no baristas in North, Flem & Ken back then. The local meeting places were the Newmarket & Doutta Galla pubs. It was a genuinely hard knockabout area back in those days, but woe to any outsiders that stepped in to the area and caused trouble. We got by, because we had each other, and the locals were much more genuine towards each other back then. There was no grandiose virtue signaling bullshit going on. We were all in it together.

We were right, as my old man was a slaughterman in the Newmarket sale yards and always came home with his Gladstone bag full of meat, and Pop ran sly grog in his old Chev after hours. The first place I lived in when my parents bought me home from hospital, was a flat above the Dim Sim shop that belonged to Normie Lee's (of Great Bookie Robbery fame) parents in Racecourse Road. There were no baristas in North, Flem & Ken back then. The local meeting places were the Newmarket & Doutta Galla pubs. It was a genuinely hard knockabout area back in those days, but woe to any outsiders that stepped in to the area and caused trouble. We got by, because we had each other, and the locals were much more genuine towards each other back then. There was no grandiose virtue signaling bullshit going on. We were all in it together.

Everyone’s old man and grandad from around there left school as soon as they could and started work at the abbatoirs.

The players were just part of the local community. Mum used to tell me at the local dances that the lads were split into the footballers and the horse racing crowd. She stepped out with one of the old footballers for a while but ended up marrying one of the racing crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have little doubt our forebears got around in the same circles and very likely knew each other.

You didn’t go to Flem primary did you Snake ?
I grew up in 64 Bryant St, behind the cop shop off Wellington St

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was in the force at one stage and my first station was Flemington. Would have been 1973.

I was in the force at one stage and my first station was Flemington. Would have been 1973.

We used to take 2 week road trips/ holidays back in those days( straight after Xmas )
My late dad, would take heaps of beer to the station and tell the lads to occasionally patrol number 64 while we were away
How funny would it be if you were sipping on one of dads long necks back then
Great memories

We used to take 2 week road trips/ holidays back in those days( straight after Xmas )
My late dad, would take heaps of beer to the station and tell the lads to occasionally patrol number 64 while we were away
How funny would it be if you were sipping on one of dads long necks back then
Great memories

Maybe so. My fondest memory was backing the divi van into the four ‘n twenty factory every Friday arvo and loading up a few cartons of pies straight out of the ovens.

No mate, I started at Ascot Vale West, as my folks moved in to the commission flats and then stayed in that area, I moved out of the area for a bit, and then came back to Debney Park High School, which was a lot different back then than it is today.

I knew your area and the cop station well, and had run ins with the infamous Cliff Lockwood who went on to kill a couple of the kids I knocked about with. We used to run around the "wog bars" around Newmarket Station.

LOL. You probably kicked me up the arse.

I grew up in the sticks, relatively speaking, the housing commission flats in Brunswick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started out in Ascot Vale and West Brunswick. Grandma, who led me down the path of righteousness (aka Arden St) grew up in Kensington. She saw a kid fatally jump off the Kensington rail bridge over the Maribyrnong as a kid.

But really, very nice touch from the club. As a 50 plus:

To celebrate your 50th year, you will receive:
  • A fifty-year recognition keyring sent with your member pack
  • Your name on the Digital Milestone Wall unveiled in March 2020
  • Your name in the 2020 True North Magazine sent at the end of the 2020 season
Moving forward, you also have access to the following benefits:
  • Exclusive invitation to our 50+ year member function
  • 50% off a to a Grand Final Ticket access should North qualify
  • 20% off all year in the Roo Shop
  • Consecutive years listed on the back of your member card

Often said the club almost ignores length of membership so very impressed to see them giving this more weight. Congrats to the membership folk. Look forward to this getting better and better each year.
For my 50 year membership I'll settle for nothing else than a Premiership ;)

All the family were/are North. My grandfather was 4’11” and his claim to fame was that he ran onto the field after the game to have a crack at an umpire he reckons cost us the game. He beat the cops to the ump and whacked him. As the cops and the rest of the crowd arrived grandpa slipped to the ground and escaped under the feet of the rallying mob. Headlines in the paper that night said that someone had smacked the ump but managed to escape. This would have been in the early 50s I suppose but he dined out on the story for a few years after that. Oh the good old days where you could run onto the ground after the game and smack the ump.
I think I worked out where you got your game day temperament from.

Brunswick was North turf back then mate.

So was Broady.
Went to school in Broady.
No better way to develop a thicker level of skin. Manned you right up with the characters you came across
If Brunswick was the sticks, what’s Glenroy!!
Over hyped

Arrived quite a bit earlier that last season...

View attachment 789368

Yep, ours arrived a week or so ago. Last season’s arrived after round 10, and every home game after that one of them wouldn’t scan in at the gate or up on level 2. ‘Twas a f***ing hoot!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back