Position 2020 Rucks

What is your Ruck lineup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If I don't start with Gawn it's because I think he isn't going into the season in the best shape. Preuss is out injured, so whether he's 100% or not, he'll play round 1. History of knee injuries, 1 year older, the bloke is tall and heavy, jumps all game, I'm scared that he'll get injured. If I don't start him, from a pure SC perspective, I hope he's limited and scores poorly

If he is 100% and doesn't get seriously injured, then he'll go ~130 again no doubt. As much as I love the look of my team without him, I think I'll most probably end up with Grundy and Gawn

ERBWJkzVUAINo2L.png

I can see where your username comes from :)

That said you make a good argument even if I think you underestimate the points impact if a midprice ruck starts the season really well and Gawn has a slow start or even an average start.

For me though the real issue is that one of the key attributes in a ruck has to be that they are fairly safe from injury. And that's where Gawn has lost much of his appeal. Instead of coming into the season cherry ripe he's coming of an interrupted preparation with a knee injury which may hamper both output and add to the risk of missing games. So now I'm thinking if I start Gawn, would it be better to also take a R/F just in case Gawn misses a week or two? And this is another cost to consider given the paucity of good R/F choices this year. So if I do select a R/F, suddenly the idea of say Naismith at R2 becomes quite appealing. 450k cheaper than Gawn, number 1 ruck at his club and likely will deliver rookie level profits, an average in the 80s and I have backup if he misses. Then I'm also batting a full premo deeper in midfield or an extra premo and 200k rookie in defence or forward which could make a huge difference if rookies are light on one line or another (obviously we'll see when teams are named R1).

So yeah Gawn was a great pick a month ago. But not as much anymore for me.
Is Naismith really #1 ruck? Has not even played in 2 years... I thought Sinclair is the guy now.

LYCETT-Scott_LG.png

Lycett and forget.

Is Naismith really #1 ruck? Has not even played in 2 years... I thought Sinclair is the guy now.

Best ask a Swans supporter but what I heard was Naismith will be number 1 with Sinclair starting forward - especially with Buddy out. Can't find where I read it though.

I just found this article which discusses roles of Naismith and Sinclair a bit but nothing conclusive...

WELCOME BACK MR NAISMITH

The Swans get Sam Naismith back in action in 2020 and it could not be more welcome.

In 2019, with just Callum Sinclair to man the middle, the Swans fell down in the ruck. They were ranked 17th in the league in hit outs, beating only the Western Bulldogs, who had huge struggles of their own at the position.

In the return of Naismith, the Swans can start looking to get their mids first possession once again at stoppages (they were 16th in clearances), which could see a spike in numbers from Kennedy, Parker and Hewett this season. That’s not to say that the Swans will become a dominant ruck team, however having Naismith teaming with Sinclair should see a vastly improved performance.

Naismith’s return also allows Sinclair to drift forward and become yet another tall target, which could be vital should Franklin spend more time out than is desired. Sinclair is quick off the mark for a ruck, and has a good sense of how to find space up forward. Double figure goals should be the expectation on him this season.

Im going Marshall and ROB, with Ceglar forward and Cameron ruck bench, can this work or am i just playing with myself again?
No reason why it can't providing you have a plan to get one or both of the highest scoring rucks back in. I'm even considering Ladhams and Naismith with Ceglar as cover and going full MPM by targetting all of the value picks.

Wow. I just read that and missed both my kids birthdays
At least you were there for conception, that's the best part.

Im going Marshall and ROB, with Ceglar forward and Cameron ruck bench, can this work or am i just playing with myself again?

"Again " infers you ever stopped in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the current word on Gawn?

touch and go for r1?
He was running last week and will play at least 1 prac match. With Preuss out long term, he'll play round 1 100%

[QUOTE="Strahany, post: 64386146, member:]

IMO, if you’re not going with Gawndy, then the alternative ruck(s) should be at such a discount that you can significantly improve other lines. Choosing a Marshall or Goldstein type, who only net a moderate saving, may leave you needing to burn a trade on the sideways move later on. At least if you go with an English or NicNat type will give you more pocket money and have greater scope for cash generation, with a similar chance of ending as a keeper, compared to the former 2.
[/QUOTE]

Agree.

The only one who is tempting me is Jacobs, maybe Ceglar. He's actually a significant saving unlike many of the others. If you peg him at 80s and the 350odd k gets you from a high priced rookie to a genuine premo then it could come out even points wise, with the cashgen aspect.

Otherwise you're basically only saving 100k and you could very well be facing a 20-30 point deficit each week.

I was going to write a post out about how you could get much better value then gawndy by running ROB/Jacob/Marshall/Lycett and upgrading another line, but it just doesn't work out. The only way it works out is if one of Gawndy spuds or gets injured, otherwise you end up behind. E.g gawndy+rook 320 points (260+60) Vs Marshal+Jacobs+Hanners 290 (110+80+100). Sure Hanners and Jacobs will make cash, but their combined cash generation will probably lower than the single rook the Gawndy combo gives, with the added negative of probably costing you 5 trades over the season to harvest it, Vs the two the Gawndy+rook combo does.

Back